Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Force West Training

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Guys/Girls

I have started training training for this adventure race and i was looking for a bit of help. I have never done anything like this before. Fitness wise i am not too bad.

Just wondering what sort of training ye think i should be doing for the next few months? With regards to cyclig/running/and hill training?

I would like to think i will be competitive enough in this race but just really have no idea what type of plan i should be using.

Also should i be doing over the distance in preparation for the race.
    I am based in Midlands am 26 and most my training has to take place after 8pm due to work committments.

Would be great to get some feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hiya GF09,

The keys things to train for are the running and cycling sections. The kayaking section is very short, and doesn't require too much attention at all. All I'd recommend there is to do one kayaking lesson on Sit on Top kayaks (like used in the race), so that you won't make your "very first time" errors on the race itself.

If you want to be competitive it would be a good idea to tailor your training so that you're training for the nature of the race. Use the cumulative totals for both cycling and running as your target distances that you'll be training for.

Try and train as much as possible on terraine that will match the race conditions. For cycling, try and do your spins on roads on undulating hills (I know that this might be hard in the midlands, depending on where you are, but even repeatedly using the same hill multiple times in one session will be very useful). If you're new to the cycling aspect, then do your training on the bike you'll be using for the race. To be competitive, you'll want that to be a road bike. Personally, I'd recommend that when you go out for a midweek cycling spin you make it at least 2 hours, preferably 3. Try and get in one or two per week. At weekends try and do one longer spin, say 3-4 hours at a more relaxed pace.

For running, there are plenty of running programmes out there which you could adapt and use. Again, if you can, try and get in some hill training on a regular (weekly at least) basis. Make as much of your running as you can off road. This will help build up the muscles in your legs and feet that stabilies you on technical terraine. The first 2 run sections in the race are pretty straightforward, but Croagh Patrick is a very technical hill run (My favourite in Ireland, as it happens). To get up that competitively you'll want to build up leg strenght, so as well as hill-repeats on bike and on foot you might also want to do some gym work to help with that, if you haven't already. Coming down CP is more about technique than fitness. Its well worth going over there as soon as you can and doing the CP part of the route so that you know what you'll have to do on race day. In the meantime, it would be worth getting to one or two of the IMRA races to get used to racing on technical terraine. The sugarloaf race is probably the most similat to CP in terms of terraine. The Carrauntwohill race would be another good one, and as its on a bank holiday you might be able to make it to it.

I hope this helps... feel free to ask more specific questions if I've gone off on the wrong tangent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gaelforce09

thanks for that Enduro.
    went to Croagh Patrick about a month ago and went up and down so know what it be like. Alot tougher with 2 runs and a long cycle in the legs!

What time did you get up and down Croagh Patrick? Did you use the path to the right or did you go straight up? Also what way did you come down?

I will try and get to some of those races. At moment i running 5km daily and 20km cycle 3 times a week so probably should start upping the distance yes?

Will you be entering this year?

Alot tougher with 2 runs and a long cycle in the legs!

For sure! That's why you need to train as if you were running a longer cumulative distance.
    What time did you get up and down Croagh Patrick? Did you use the path to the right or did you go straight up? Also what way did you come down?

I can't remember my up time. Think it might have been around 30 minutes. My down time was fractionally under 10 minutes. On the way up I used the zig-zag path up until it hits the shoulder, and then the main pilgrims route to the top. Similar on the way down, except for cutting accross the last zig-zag and going on a straighter route down. The guy in front of me seemed to cut off the path a lot sooner on the way down.
    At moment i running 5km daily and 20km cycle 3 times a week so probably should start upping the distance yes?

definitely need to adjust. Don't up the distances accross the board. Rather, put more structure into it and have one long slow run per week, one speed session/hill repeats session per week. There are proper running coaches on here who will hopefully give you more specific advice. Look up some of the training programmes for marathons on the internet, and use one of the more ambitious ones if you're able to (not exactly, as you'll be doing cycling as well, but as a guidline as to how to structure your week, and your progression over the months ahead). Similarly with the cycling. And don't forget to give yourself a rest day. They're very important.
    Will you be entering this year?

Probably! I need to be careful not to overdo it myself, but I really enjoyed it last year and its certainly my intention to give it a go again this year.

thanks alot for that appreciate it alot.

I will have a look at different training plans and get cracking and hopefully a few more people might post some info,

Just a matter of interest, i am new to this adventure racing and is it mainly people over 30 in these races? It seems to be alot of older people and if so why do you think that is?

i am 26 and since i started training i am hooked and am really going to give gael force west a shot.

thanks again

It does seem to be an older crowd, but definitely not exclusively so. There are two reasons I can think of for that. Its an endurance sport, and people's endurance gets better as you get older. The other reason I can think of is cost. If you get into it in a big way there is a lot of gear to be bought for all the different sports, and then there is the expense of travelling to the bigger international races. The older crowd tend to have a bit more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I did OK in CLEC last year , my specific training was about 2 months of

hard hill session (something like 3 x 10 min loops with warmup and cooldown) each Saturday

long bike ride hilly offroad each Sunday at variable pace , or else 90 mins - 2 hrs on gym bike (boring, get the MP3 player on and churn it out)

shorter swimming / running 2 or 3 days during the week

the long bike rides and hill sessions made a huge difference - CLEC was ~6 hours, i think GF is longer - hopefully you already have a reasonable base from road running over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

What time did you get up and down Croagh Patrick?
    Enduro wrote: »
    I can't remember my up time. Think it might have been around 30 minutes. My down time was fractionally under 10 minutes. .

Course Record: Men: 42:43 (John Brooks, Lochaber) Woman: 58:?? (Joyce Mitchells)
    Better get onto IMRA. You might well be now the record holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enduro's times (which are mightly impressive) would have been for the Gael Force route which is shorter than the traditional imra route, the latter starts right down on the road beside the pub. To go up and down from there in 42 is phenomenal. PeterX did 48 mins or so in the race there last week. Another great time. You'd need to run it up and down to put those times into perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Enduro's times (which are mightly impressive) would have been for the Gael Force route which is shorter than the traditional imra route, the latter starts right down on the road beside the pub.
    Ahh. Haven't done Gael Force but did the IMRA run once.

Enduro

In last years race i have been looking at split times. you did first run in 53 mins? Was this going at a serious pace or what?
    What you think a realistic time would be for this?

Your bike run was 85 mins. While some of the other riders was 65 mins. Its seems you made up most time on Croagh Patrick.

I have started to up my distances and working on more hills also.
    Be great if you could get back me when ya get a chance.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Enduro

In last years race i have been looking at split times. you did first run in 53 mins? Was this going at a serious pace or what?
    What you think a realistic time would be for this?

Your bike run was 85 mins. While some of the other riders was 65 mins. Its seems you made up most time on Croagh Patrick.

the first run was as fast as I would have wanted to go, given what was following. Not full speed. Not that far off it. A realistic time depends on your own abilities. I'd be running setting my aims for that leg based on effort, rather than time. There is no point achieving a target time for leg 1 and then being too knackered to finish the full race.

Careful of how you read my splits in the results. They seem to have missed a split in my results, so some of them read wrong. I got into the run-bike transition at delphi about 30 seconds ahead of the lads behind, so you can work out the run#2 and bike splits with that info.

thanks for that.

With regards to the first run again. At the moment i am running 10k in 50mins and my pb is 46mins for a 10k. All on the flat. so what time would you think i should be aiming for the 12k?

I have introuced hill sessions etc into my training and last night i cycled 6okm. And hope to do this every week now.

Don't worry about time targets. You have to judge the effort on the day, and the time will derive from that. Obviously enough, the effort will have to be less than what you would be putting in for a 10k run, as its only the first leg of the race. Err on the side of going too slow. You can always make it back on later legs, but if you go too hard you'll be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elacon

God I'm nervous about it , I'm wondering if I'm fit enough , both my husband and I are doing it , will our 2 kids be orphans. Doing about 30 miles a week running and started about 40 kms cycling a week , is that enough at this stage...?

That's enough to get you around the course, I'd say, but it would definitely be worth your while upping the cycling milage

Thanks for that will do , going to start cycling to work which is 11 miles each way even 3 days a week , must get a decent bike , the one I have now could be in a museum somewhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kbishop25@gmail

hi there, i was never too fit, and Gael force would have been a big task to me. I started my training by putting the thread mill on the incline position until i found it easy. Now i find running is allot easier.

hey guys not long to go now!!
    just a quick one:

i have problems when running with indigestion? can anybody help me? i do eat and drink pretty healthy and just wondering if there anything i can do to prevent this?

Thanks

This used to happen me quite alot , it has taken me a while to figure out what I can and can't eat before a run , and times to eat also .I find if I need to leave at least 2 hours after eating before I run. also various foods like onions , garlic , tomato sauce or anything spicy , yoghurts all give me dodgy tum, so plain food is best , not very exciting but better than vomiting .

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Hi,

For the Kayaking section I assume that waterproof clothing is needed ?
    If so, what's the best to wear , something that can be popped over tri shorts I assume ?

question from a newbie of course !

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whittey

watergal wrote: »
    Hi,

If so, what's the best to wear , something that can be popped over tri shorts I assume ?

Thanks

I sincerely doubt it. The kayaks are sit-on-top, so you just need to throw on a life-jacket and off you go.
    Using any waterproof clothing will only fill with water if you fall in, and your tri-shorts will dry much quicker when you're off the water and back running and cycling.

I'm doing the Connemara challenge this year, probably sign up for Gael Force once I've proved to myself I can do the first one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

watergal wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

No change required, you will be wearing the same clothes that u were wearing for the 12km run before the kayak. You will be wet from that run anyway so to be honest it makes no odds :)

Thanks for that - I've seen stuff about waterproof clothing so was confused as I run marathons and wear the same gear - rain or shine ..and I assumed the same was for cycling, so that just left me to wonder about the kayaking part .

Thanks for the responses !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

am going to enter gael force this year ,anyone here can recommend what category i should go in ? im female , reasonably fit , run 10km in around 41min at the moment , should i enter runner or jogger ? ( and if so what time is best , do the better ones goes out earlie r?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Runner of Jogger Seres with a 41 minute 10k run are you kidding me :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seres wrote: »
    am going to enter gael force this year ,anyone here can recommend what category i should go in ? im female , reasonably fit , run 10km in around 41min at the moment , should i enter runner or jogger ? ( and if so what time is best , do the better ones goes out earlie r?)

Enter runner, for 2 reasons:
    a) because you will be earlier on the route and it wont be as soft underground.
    b) because you are a runner :) 10km in 41 mins! U cud get into Elite with that time!

Enter as a runner or you'll shame me ...

I run 10k in around 47 mins and I've entered the 6.30am wave.
    There are guidelines on what wave to enter on the website and I usually come in 20-30% of females in my age group ( the oap ..!- also depends on how many people are in the race ) so I went for that wave on the basis that I've done marathons before and run regularly and hike every so often..
    saying that, I've never tried running, cycling, hiking, cycling all in the one go , so here's hoping my legs stay in one piece ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Definitely do one of the runner waves. It's the same course for everybody but there won't be as many people in your way if you go for one of the earlier starts (because your 10k time would indicate a fast time for Gaelforce).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Hi Guys/Girls

I have started training training for this adventure race and i was looking for a bit of help. I have never done anything like this before. Fitness wise i am not too bad.

Just wondering what sort of training ye think i should be doing for the next few months? With regards to cyclig/running/and hill training?

I would like to think i will be competitive enough in this race but just really have no idea what type of plan i should be using.

Also should i be doing over the distance in preparation for the race.
    I am based in Midlands am 26 and most my training has to take place after 8pm due to work committments.

Would be great to get some feedback.

Thanks

This is maybe not too relevant to you, but just to give you an idea of volume/intensity for multi-sport events, the Limerick Triathlon club have a 22-week guide to training for the Hell of the West triathlon in Kilkee.

http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=node/57

• Advertisement
Advertisement