Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy - Parking in General

Options
  • 01-05-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Noticed a real fall in Dublin parking standards in the past few weeks. Everywhere I go there are Mondeos almost abandoned on blind corners or in other dangerous locations. Surely the Guards should do something? Anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Post your pics please!

9AAAAF8EA29940CD85D1267B01F6E488.jpg

CDAEF867D2D842FA9269FF44357179A0.jpg

0BE4B6CEC43E4C828470556050C3B6F3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gallus

My god, you call them dangerous. The first two are with the flow of traffic(the 2nd pic the mini is crossing the centre line, in the wrong) and the last one is a good distance from the corner. They maybe be illegally parked but not dangerous.

Join the gardai if you want to, enough with this amateur policing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

or amateur parking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Gardai don't arrest Gardai, red Mondeo is a special branch car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Noticed a real fall in Dublin parking standards in the past few weeks. Everywhere I go there are Mondeos almost abandoned on blind corners or in other dangerous locations. Surely the Guards should do something?

I'm guessing the first two photos are referring to the red Mundano, err, sorry Mondeo. That light cluster down to by the side of the front bumper make it look like an unmarked garda car, so I guess they are doing something :)

Far be it for me to allege any correlation between the parking location and the Costa across the road.:P

Doh, beaten to it by Tipsy.

Ok...., explain to me how any of these cars are in a dangerous position on the road?

And why would you take the time to take pictures of this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

TJJP wrote: »
    0BE4B6CEC43E4C828470556050C3B6F3.jpg

That also looks like an unmarked Garda car. It is parked across the road from the Harcourt street station, so very good chance it is a Garda car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Everywhere I go there are Mondeos almost abandoned on blind corners or in other dangerous locations.

I'm not saying you don't have good examples OP. But leave out the generalizations.
    Some car drivers of all car types park badly.
    But you are focusing on Mondeos, focus on the driver and not the car.

Was I telling you everywhere I see Micras with fog lights on and BMWs driven by arrogant pricks? ;)

Very good chance they are garda cars looking at them closely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Gallus wrote: »
    Ok...., explain to me how any of these cars are in a dangerous position on the road?

And why would you take the time to take pictures of this...

Red Mondeo - Its parked on a double yellow line, it's parked opposite a continuous white line, it's less than 1.5 car lengths from a corner.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Red Mondeo - Its parked on a double yellow line, it's parked opposite a continuous white line, it's less than 1.5 car lengths from a corner.

Yes illegal as you point out but not dangerous...
    Cars entering the road will see the car and cars that enter the road should not cross the centre line or stop line anyway.

And we all see what the OP is getting at. One rule for the gardai, one for the public. but in honesty who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What a sad thread!

*sighs and shakes head*

• Advertisement

(i) Ok...., explain to me how any of these cars are in a dangerous position on the road?

(ii) And why would you take the time to take pictures of this...

(i) I'm no expert but; (ii) I'm no expert but:

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

Bryn wrote: »
    That also looks like an unmarked Garda car. It is parked across the road from the Harcourt street station, so very good chance it is a Garda car!

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

TJJP - the Gardai are exempt from almost all aspects of the Road Traffic Regulations. Now get a life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We get it. You dont like Mondeo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

come down by the Four Courts to see some illegal parking (cars/vans etc) parking on double yellows, parking in bus lane, parking in cycle lane, parking in taxi bay/loading bay, parking on the footpath (granted the path is over 2 cars wide but thats not the point)

the problem as usual with these things is enforcement ..... typical irish attitude is that ah..its only a few mins or its not causing any harm...etc etc

if you are going to prosecute for dodgy or bad parking then no-one would be able to park in Dublin (everyone at some point breaks parking "rules")

TJJP - the Gardai are exempt from almost all aspects of the Road Traffic Regulations. Now get a life!!

Have one thanks sarge. If only free speech was as exempt as parking perhaps I could raise a legitimate questions. Haven’t got any to hand but if I did they would be like ‘does my 8 year old know the difference between a mondeo and a S350 on the corner before he gets ploughed through by a truck which couldn’t see him’… but of course the difference is the mondeo is on important business.. the S350 wasn’t.

Traffic laws aren't there for joe public (even if he's 8), silly me.

Have one thanks sarge. If only free speech was as exempt as parking perhaps I could raise a legitimate questions. Haven’t got any to hand but if I did they would be like ‘does my 8 year old know the difference between a mondeo and a S350 on the corner before he gets ploughed through by a truck which couldn’t see him’… but of course the difference is the mondeo is on important business.. the S350 wasn’t.

And we see alot of the problem with the motoring public in Ireland, always looking at the small technicalities than the bigger picture of road safety.

And we wonder why "speeding" campaigns haven't reduced road deaths!!!!

Suppose there are burglars breaking into your house. You immediately telephone the Gardai. The nearest car is delayed because, on there last call, they were forced to find a space in the local multi-storey carpark. They find their way back to the car but then have to queue up to leave. They drive to your house obeying the speed limits and stay out of the bus lanes. They arrive at your address but spend the next 15 minutes finding a place to park that's not near a corner or on double yellows etc......................

...........you're on Liveline the next day complaining about the slow response of the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yes illegal as you point out but not dangerous...
    If it is not dangerous then why is it illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

this is a ridiculous thread.....cops do what they want period and that includes parking anywhere.

we do it, we are nailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Bearcat wrote: »
    this is a ridiculous thread.....cops do what they want period and that includes parking anywhere.

we do it, we are nailed.
    I dont have any problem with that to be honest. They're the cops. You dont know what business they're on or why.Even if its not important, have a bit of respect and say to yourself "is it really that big a deal?" They park their car in the wrong place, big f**king swing. Its not like they're out beating random members of the public. (not at you bearcat, at OP)

Any Garda I've met has been nothing but respectful and tolerant, and I mean every single one, so loosen your nickers and start directing worries towards real problems, not why a garda parked his car, opposite a garda station on a double yellow line. This thread is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

The both are police cars. They can do what they want.

Hagar wrote: »
    If it is not dangerous then why is it illegal?

Because alot of road markings and signs are put up in Ireland that go against logic...

There is nothing dangerous about the two cars parked in the pictures.

You haven't convinced me.
    Road markings and signage are there for the safety of road users, any act by a motorist, I don't care who he is or whether he will be prosecuted or not, whicich goes against them is by definition dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Hagar wrote: »
    You haven't convinced me.
    Road markings and signage are there for the safety of road users, any act by a motorist, I don't care who he is or whether he will be prosecuted or not, whicich goes against them is by definition dangerous.

Your wrong. Its not because its dangerous. Especially the cars in those photos.

Those markings are there so as not to impede the flow of moving traffic.

recycle wrote: »
    Your wrong.
    I might get that framed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

D7A_DSC00100_Medium.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

D7A_DSC00100_Medium.JPG

If thats Corbally the amount of ignorant sh1ts that park in those disabled spots (and are not disabled) when they go to the bank or off-license is unreal. Complete aresholes.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

D7A_DSC00100_Medium.JPG

You just know its that tosser at the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

If anybody was looking for a photograph to define the word ass_hole, the above photo is it!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Cheers Henry Ford III. Beats any of my pics hands down! I'll have to try harder.

Advertisement