Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romanian Garda

• 12-04-2009 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I read in the paper the other week about this romanian girl who passed out in templemore and won the scott medal, is this sort of thing just a publicity stunt for the government.

also im sure there are many thousands of Irish men and woman who would give anything to serve in the Gardai and may have all the required education and so on but will probably never get the oppurtunity.

is it realy fair to give immigrants so much responsibility in our society so quickly...? are we sure they even fully understand the needs and reactions of irish culture and society substantialy enough in order to police it...? is 5 years realy long enough to learn and understand Irish culture..?
    these are all questions that should have been asked.

this is not a race thing, more practicality, nowhere in history have Immigrants been given so much responsibility so quickly, could it all just be a stunt by the politicos in order to portray themselves as "progressive"
    which could possibly backfire on the force and the citizens.

i just think it is an interesting subject and is a valid debate subject.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Eek!!! I "got" Irish culture within a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Total tokenism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

TomRooney wrote: »
    I read in the paper the other week about this romanian girl who passed out in templemore and won the scott medal, is this sort of thing just a publicity stunt for the government.

its clear from your post you dont have accurate information. She didnt win a scott medal. When you do have accurate information we can discuss it,.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    its clear from your post you dont have accurate information. She didnt win a scott medal. When you do have accurate information we can discuss it,.

ok so correct me its not a big deal, stop acting like a child who got there sooder taken from them.

wildsaffy wrote: »
    Eek!!! I "got" Irish culture within a week!

realy...? Ireland has one of the oldest and richest cultures in the western world and you got it all in the space of a week...? I DOUBT IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

is it realy fair to give immigrants so much responsibility in our society so quickly...? are we sure they even fully understand the needs and reactions of irish culture and society substantialy enough in order to police it...?

Yeah, she won the Gary Sheehan Memorial Medal for the best all-round student and only speaks five languages; doubt she understands Ireland, nor our myopic view....

There are likely far more enlightened candidates from the bogs of Ireland with a least a pass in leaving-cert English, some level of grammar, spelling ability and diction and an inherent understanding of how we do things here – an approach that has served us so well thus far.

TJJP wrote: »
    Yeah, she won the Gary Sheehan Memorial Medal for the best all-round student and only speaks five languages; doubt she understands Ireland, nor our myopic view....

There are likely far more enlightened candidates from the bogs of Ireland with a least a pass in leaving-cert English, some level of grammar, spelling ability and diction and an inherent understanding of how we do things here – an approach that has served us so well thus far.

So the ability to speak in several languages automaticly means one is fit for policing....your logic is baffling.

also the fact she speaks 5 languages does not anser any of the issues raised, how do we know she or other relatively new immigrants have a sufficient understanding of Irish society in order to take on the HUGE responsibility of policing our streets.

also is it fair on indiginous Irish people who are eqauly qaulified but may never have the same oppurtunity because simply they dont attract the same photo ops as an immigrant garda does.

Rumbled! :( Twas two weeks - its not that difficult!

Seriously though I think someone from the outside has a better chance of understanding the "whole" and the contradictions if one has an interest - and would be less biased.

And just to point out - anytime the "Fields of Athenry" is sung in an outburst of pride in "irishness" - just try and work out how many of them (a) could tell you what the song means (b) could point out the fields of Athenry on a map (c) have been to the fields of Athenry.

Its all a matter of interest and perspective.

One thing I don't understand though is my innate fear of female gardai - they seem to lack the milk of human kindness - no sense of humour - what's that about? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

also the fact she speaks 5 languages does not anser any of the issues raised, how do we know she or other relatively new immigrants have a sufficient understanding of Irish society in order to take on the HUGE responsibility of policing our streets.

also is it fair on indiginous Irish people who are eqauly qaulified but may never have the same oppurtunity because simply they dont attract the same photo ops as an immigrant garda does.

I thought they went to Templemore to be trained in understanding and policing communities in Ireland? Obviously this person has some unique talents and has an intelligence, they're an obvious asset to any police force, especially one like Ireland, where there are now many different ethnic groups based here. I wonder what languages exactly she speaks?

I think putting non-Irish born people in the police force isn't just a "photo-op" idea. It's risky yet it's a step toward an inclusive society. If these people make a mess of things, everybody will notice and there will be bloody hell to pay for it. I've come across plenty of Irish Gardai over the years who in my own honest opinion should have never been in the force and did nothing to ease away the weary mistrust that alot of people have for the Gardai.

Rumbled! :( Twas two weeks - its not that difficult!

Seriously though I think someone from the outside has a better chance of understanding the "whole" and the contradictions if one has an interest - and would be less biased.

And just to point out - anytime the "Fields of Athenry" is sung in an outburst of pride in "irishness" - just try and work out how many of them (a) could tell you what the song means (b) could point out the fields of Athenry on a map (c) have been to the fields of Athenry.

Its all a matter of interest and perspective.

One thing I don't understand though is my innate fear of female gardai - they seem to lack the milk of human kindness - no sense of humour - what's that about? :eek:

if you think Irelands culture consists of knowing the story behind trevellians corn, and knowing where athenry is on a map, then that is very worrying.

i think you under estimate the Irish People, we have an ancient culture of Poetry, literature, Politics, traditional music and dance, Our ancient Language. our Pride in being Irish itself.
    the intracasies of a Drunken Irish man or woman and knowing how to deal with such without exacerbating the situation.
    our hard work ethic, and strong family ties and ethics and close knit communities. these are only a part of irish culture, i have Lived in Ireland all my Life and i am still learning every day, so how can someone who arrived here 3 or 4 years ago realy know or understand what it means to be Irish and what it takes to police Irish people.

and is it fair on the indiginous people who would like to police there own people but are not PR enough to get that oppurtunity, as i said it is unheard of for immigrants to be given so much Responsibility in a society so soon, have they realy earned the right to police the people of Ireland, which i would see as a privlidge and honour, have they earned that honour yet...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

if you think Irelands culture consists of knowing the story behind trevellians corn, and knowing where athenry is on a map, then that is very worrying.

i think you under estimate the Irish People, we have an ancient culture of Poetry, literature, Politics, traditional music and dance, Our ancient Language. our Pride in being Irish itself.
    the intracasies of a Drunken Irish man or woman and knowing how to deal with such without exacerbating the situation.
    our hard work ethic, and strong family ties and ethics and close knit communities. these are only a part of irish culture, i have Lived in Ireland all my Life and i am still learning every day, so how can someone who arrived here 3 or 4 years ago realy know or understand what it means to be Irish and what it takes to police Irish people.

and is it fair on the indiginous people who would like to police there own people but are not PR enough to get that oppurtunity, as i said it is unheard of for immigrants to be given so much Responsibility in a society so soon, have they realy earned the right to police the people of Ireland, which i would see as a privlidge and honour, have they earned that honour yet...?

Whats so cultural about drunk people?Drunks are the same no matter their origin.What does it matter where a Garda is from?

I dont know why culture is being dragged into this argument.What has crime got to do with culture and history.Criminals dont take a few minutes in the morning before they go out to commit their crimes thinking about our countrys' history.If they did they might not commit a crime.

Fair play to the Romanian women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Imagine if as a result of Trevellian’s misrule and subsequent, 1,000's of émigrés left our shores and went somewhere like the United States and ended up being pillars of that community and indeed the became the foundation stone of policing with zero experience... what a pickle. It could never happen in my illogical world.

Please read and understand before you jump to erroneous conclusions.

The reference to "athenry" was a reference. A lot of Irish people don't understand their own culture. Many don't want to. Don't get me started on the ancient language.

There is nothing intricate about a drunken man / woman - they are simpler to deal with than a sober person. Understanding that does not take a huge amount of intelligence or the knowledge of O'Carolan's tunes.

Hard work ethic - that's easy to understand - many people have that - close family ties and communities - its easy to get to know that - I think you underestimate Irish people themselves and their response to something / someone new. In fact they often have more respect for someone outside of the community as I was told in 1995 in a very interesting conversation in Ballinasloe in the "wesht of oireland" ....

Tom - you are living in wonderful times - the Irish have assimilated the greeks, the spanish, the scottish and it has contributed to a wonderful and even richer culture - oh yes, and the odd egyptian here and there - its better to watch and learn and document than gripe even before this poor girl's journey has started!

Ooh - the source of a new reel - "The Garda on the Gate" - "Or the Ban Garda from Bucharest" ....

Whats so cultural about drunk people?Drunks are the same no matter their origin.What does it matter where a Garda is from?

I dont know why culture is being dragged into this argument.What has crime got to do with culture and history.Criminals dont take a few minutes in the morning before they go out to commit their crimes thinking about our countrys' history.If they did they might not commit a crime.

Fair play to the Romanian women.

in your apparent rush to refute you seem to have got confused, nobody said policing had anything to do with History, However culture has everything to do with it.
    if you dont have an understanding of a culture, you are likely to insult sombody by inadvertinly saying something offensive, understanding the people you are policing and the basic soul of the society is essential in policing effectively.

think about what your reading next time instead of bolting onto the defensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Dey tuk oor jubbs.

Seriously though, the face of policing has to represent the demographic of the population. There are Romanian people living in Ireland, and seeing a highly intelligent and educated Romanian Garda on the streets isn't just good PR (although it IS also used as PR). It's assuring to the Romanian community living in Ireland to see that their ethnicity is not a barrier to them joining if they are good enough.

Please read and understand before you jump to erroneous conclusions.

The reference to "athenry" was a reference. A lot of Irish people don't understand their own culture. Many don't want to. Don't get me started on the ancient language.

There is nothing intricate about a drunken man / woman - they are simpler to deal with than a sober person. Understanding that does not take a huge amount of intelligence or the knowledge of O'Carolan's tunes.

Hard work ethic - that's easy to understand - many people have that - close family ties and communities - its easy to get to know that - I think you underestimate Irish people themselves and their response to something / someone new. In fact they often have more respect for someone outside of the community as I was told in 1995 in a very interesting conversation in Ballinasloe in the "wesht of oireland" ....

Tom - you are living in wonderful times - the Irish have assimilated the greeks, the spanish, the scottish and it has contributed to a wonderful and even richer culture - oh yes, and the odd egyptian here and there - its better to watch and learn and document than gripe even before this poor girl's journey has started!

Ooh - the source of a new reel - "The Garda on the Gate" - "Or the Ban Garda from Bucharest" ....

this girl as lovely as im sure she is, is in reality nothing but pure tokenism, she is a photo op for the government and there pay masters in the EU`s pro immigration agenda, this girl was getting that award no matter what happened in training, it is pure state propaganda and beurocracy at its best.
    and it is wrong. there are many Irish people who are just as talented and some more so than this woman, but did not or will not get the oppurtunity to join AGS because they serve no political purpose for the pro immigration lobby that is the political classes in Ireland today.

all part of a bigger agenda, to drive the wages of the working man down in order to maximise profits for big business, maas immigration leads to mass competition for work, which leads to cheap labour. the only people who beneit are government fat cats and big business all the while the immigrant and the working irish man struggle to survive and compete with each other.

psni wrote: »
    Dey tuk oor jubbs.

Seriously though, the face of policing has to represent the demographic of the population. There are Romanian people living in Ireland, and seeing a highly intelligent and educated Romanian Garda on the streets isn't just good PR (although it IS also used as PR). It's assuring to the Romanian community living in Ireland to see that their ethnicity is not a barrier to them joining if they are good enough.

Romainans do not have any automatic working rights in Ireland, therefore the majority of them here are illegal workers.
    the problem arise when immigrants get prefrential treatment because they are such.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

TomRooney you've left us with no choice but to close this thread. You're behaving like a troll. You have no proof that the majority of Romanian people in Ireland are illegal workers. You have no proof that this Garda did not honestly earn that award. I will not allow you to cast doubt on her award without providing substantial proof.

Take your opinions to Politics or possibly even Conspiracy Theories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement