Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Hurling at 25!?!?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hows it going, how would you rate the chances of a guy looking to start hurling at 25? I can puck a ball reasonably well from baitin it up against the gable end of the house, but I dont know how well I could pick up the rest of the skills, what do ye think? Is there really any side in the country so desperate for players as to take me on?!? I live in Clare, perhaps I might even make the county team in the near future.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I would love to learn how to play too. Just for fun though. I'm 33 so I have no expectations of playing for any club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Its NEVER too late to learn the game:D i only took it up a few months ago myself and i'm 28. I'm also playing as a forward for my local club on a junior team, we have a few guys training with the entire junior panel approaching 55 and even our keeper yesterday was the oldest player i've seen...and pulled off saves to make Brendan Cummins proud;)

My advice is to check out a local club/s, chat with a junior team coach and try pop along for a training session to get a feel for the team. If you like it, then go through the relevant channels to join the club. Don't worry about where to play on the field, the coach/es can determine that by watching you train.

Most clubs now are just starting their league seasons, we only played 2 games ourselves so it wont be hard to get a hang of things soon enough, just make sure you turn up for training in a club as you learn SOOOO much, the rest is learned from experience on the field. I would advise watching some online clips of basic skills too, and practice them at home. While playing for a club (i'm quite sure you'll both fit in somewhere) make sure to put in the effort, you WILL be noticed and you only get out of playing what you put into playing:)

Hopefully this will cover some stuff, i'm pretty sure some others here could add or enhance what i've said already. Hopefully you'll both love being a Hurler as its such a wonderful way of having fun and keeping fit.

Thanks Master of Nothing. I grew up in the States so I was never able to learn how to play it [the GAA America branch is starting to catch on in recent years but was nonexistant when I was a kid]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Thanks Master of Nothing, I will try now and get in touch with the local club here, luckily I come from the football part of Clare, so I imagine I might fit in just fine with the level of skill on our hurling team :)

JohnMc1 I thought ye were all born with hurls in your hands up in Kilkenny? I loved the game yesterday, beating Cork by 26 points! That might shut them up for a while :pac:

Shane-1 wrote: »

JohnMc1 I thought ye were all born with hurls in your hands up in Kilkenny? I loved the game yesterday, beating Cork by 26 points! That might shut them up for a while :pac:

Hi Shane-1. I was born in Woodside,NY. I have only lived in Kilkenny for the last 4 years. My parents were born and raised in Kilkenny [My Dad RIP] was born and raised in Callan. I grew up listening to the matches because my Dad used to always listen to them on the radio.

I'm glad Kilkenny beat Cork like that yesterday. I don't want to see hurling or any other Irish sports go the way of sports in the States where the players can have a hissy fit and refuse to play for the stupidest reasons possible [I never really got back into baseball after that strike in 94 or 95]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

It's very hard to pick up the skills, especially when everyone else on the team has probably been playing since they were kids. But best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Hi Shane-1. I was born in Woodside,NY. I have only lived in Kilkenny for the last 4 years. My parents were born and raised in Kilkenny [My Dad RIP] was born and raised in Callan. I grew up listening to the matches because my Dad used to always listen to them on the radio.

I'm glad Kilkenny beat Cork like that yesterday. I don't want to see hurling or any other Irish sports go the way of sports in the States where the players can have a hissy fit and refuse to play for the stupidest reasons possible [I never really got back into baseball after that strike in 94 or 95]

Ya, my blood boiled when I read the paper and saw that Cork were back making excuses today for their routing! Would they not accept that they are simply not good enough.
    Must be a bit of a change coming from NY to Kilkenny?! :)

Shane-1 wrote: »
    Ya, my blood boiled when I read the paper and saw that Cork were back making excuses today for their routing! Would they not accept that they are simply not good enough.
    Must be a bit of a change coming from NY to Kilkenny?! :)

A huge change. It nice though don't get me wrong.

The Cork players are idiots. Their credibility is shot and the only way they will get that back is on the field. Not in front of the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Infraction for Shane for going off topic
    1 week ban for John for abuse .

Guys avoid going so far off topic and abuse... i

I would also love to play hurling. I started when I was 10 - promptly broke a rib and 3 fingers and me ma wouldnt let me play any more. :( damm you Mammy !!

Im 30 now and would love to be able to play (although I doubt the wife would approve.. I get injured enough playing football) I think its eejits like me who havent a clue that tend to get injured too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Never too old, sure wasnt there that story here of an oul lad in his 50's-60's playin most of a match for a team (vague details i know but im sure someone will remember)?

Off topic, what about having a sticky for this subject (not this one specifically) as there have been loads of threads like this with people lookin to get into the game/back into the game might keep the place a bit tidier :)

• Advertisement

good thinking there GAAman. you are clearly an ideas man and passionate about the subject.

Also I would like to thank you for volunteering !

would you mind putting that post together with some tips and useful resources (like links to clubs, training videos etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

All you need is a wall, a sliotar and a good hurley. ;)

Alany wrote: »
    good thinking there GAAman. you are clearly an ideas man and passionate about the subject.

Also I would like to thank you for volunteering !

would you mind putting that post together with some tips and useful resources (like links to clubs, training videos etc)

Barsteward :D

Yeah no probs will put it together this evenin after i get back from uni sure (unless the post was drenched in sarcasm?)

no no I would appriciate id you did put that post together !

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

If you're relatively fit you can get away with the very basics at the lower levels and the rest will come the more you play. However Kilkenny probably isnt the best county to start late tbh. I dont know of any late starters in my club!

Edit: Saw you're in Clare - you should be just fine there :p

Alany wrote: »
    no no I would appriciate id you did put that post together !

Done, well for starters anyway :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59731298#post59731298

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

OP I think you should give it a go. You'll live life always wondering why I didn't become the next Colin Lynch. Please keep us updated if you start and well done to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I'm thinking of playing hurling too, after years of replusive sub concious programing "I'm not good enough" and been forced to play it primary school

It was like eating that fish you were forced to eat as a child, you grow to fupping hate the sight of it.

But I absaloutley love the sport, just kinda crapooly at it.:D But I'm gonna play be the best in the world (hardly) I don't think your ever to old to start something new. Rome wasn't built in a day. You don't become a great hurler in a day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Give it a go. It will be a lot easier than you think. Not everybody on a panel is a possible County Star either so I'm sure you wouldn't be the worst player there.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

I wouldn't mind going back playing, I haven't played since I was about 11. My local club are at real high standard now for the last couple of years so It would be difficult to break into the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Looking at that C'mon Camán series for kids might be useful in terms of basic skills for anyone of any age starting. I recorded it on the aul' sky plus and it's fairly good, shots of the big boys playing, skill drills with the kids, skills competition, followed by four a side mini-league. Don't know if it's on the web, but it's a great production

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

IIMII wrote: »
    Looking at that C'mon Camán series for kids might be useful in terms of basic skills for anyone of any age starting. I recorded it on the aul' sky plus and it's fairly good, shots of the big boys playing, skill drills with the kids, skills competition, followed by four a side mini-league. Don't know if it's on the web, but it's a great production
    Its good alright, i stuck up a thread about it here a few days ago.

And yes, RTE have it on their "catch up" service, seen it their earlier:)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

once you love the game thats all you need to get involved. go for it!

Yavvy, I think you have the makings of a referee the way you jumped in and calmed down the off topic banter and dished out the yellow and red cards.:)

Advertisement