Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaunty Jackalope

Options
  • 25-02-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Anyone taken it out for a spin yet?

I've installed it on another partiton, formatted it as ext4 and I must say it's a lot faster booting up and laoding the desktop. Also, Nautilus seems a lot zippier too.

Seems quite stable so far, compared to how Intrepid was at this stage. I get the usual crashes from npviewer.bin (fairly harmelss) but other than that it's quite usable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ooo ext4 is in it - missed that. Nice.

Must get it and stick it in a VM or on the lappy to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I have it in a VM and it seems good.

What do you think of the new login screen? Personally I'm not a fan of it. However I think that this shows they are prepared to leave the brown behind. Koala could be a very exciting release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Going to try this later on hopefully. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I have it in a VM and it seems good.

What do you think of the new login screen? Personally I'm not a fan of it. However I think that this shows they are prepared to leave the brown behind. Koala could be a very exciting release.

I like it. Some people are saying the 3D logo is "tacky" and is "something from the 90s" but for me it's a big improvement on what they had. However, we will have to wait for Karmic Koala to see some really big changes.

Where did Jackalope come from - wasn't it supposed to be Jape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

it was always jackalope. whats a jape???

what's a jackalope?

Macros42 wrote: »
    what's a jackalope?

A rabbit meets reindeer, dunno how the rabbit got up that high to hit it though! :pac:

jackalope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

whens the full version due?

• Advertisement

woop wrote: »
    whens the full version due?

23rd April. Shakespeare birthday (and deathday) and also St. George's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Did they fix the mousewheel scrolling in nautilus in Compact View mode? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

As this is a alpha release be warned that there is bugs! Hope they get sorted for the full release!

See this link for more info

Regards,
    J.

I installed this on my eee earlier this evening. Boot times were great with EXT4 but once it was up and running it was slow so I've gone back to cruncheee.

That's disappointing. Must give it a whirl. Or maybe I'll wait for the final - it's not long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Updating my Itanium desktop to it now. I just use it for compiling x86 stuff to IA64 to see how it runs (ie $hits and giggles).

Already tried it on my Intel Atom carpc, but they still havent got the latest xorg in there to fix the Svideo out problem.

Try running it with Openbox. You can have a Gnome session with Openbox as the window manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

upgraded a few days ago and has been rock solid so far, no complaints.

Advertisement