Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feb 6] FCP Conference on Range Standards

Options
  • 28-01-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Some of you may have heard of a conference coming up shortly on new legislation to do with ranges (and one or two of you may have been told, somewhat rudely, that information on this was going to go through one source alone). The conference is the second FCP conference on range standards, it's happening next Friday, Feb.6. Invitations have been sent out to all range principals/operators and FCP reps and so forth. We'll be covering it as we covered the last conference (though not liveblogging, seems a lot of folks won't ask questions if you type as they talk, but they don't mind if you write as they talk). I'll be going as one of the principals from Wilkinstown.

I've spoken to John Guinane, the firearms range inspector, about the conference - the idea is to disperse information as widely as possible (there are no agreements as to exclusivity), and awkward questions are welcome. They're hoping that people will bring as many viewpoints to the table as possible, so the end result is as good as it can be.

So if people who aren't going themselves have questions, you can ask either your club operators to pass on those questions; or you can ask your association's FCP reps; or you can post them here and we'll pass them on to John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Did I hear some time ago that there was a proposal to adopt Canadian range standards. It would seem to be a good idea to adopt an existing system that is proven to work (and there must be many).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes, and I understand that that's basicly what's being done, but with some changes to customise their setup to ours (which makes sense).

Heard back from the DoJ on the agenda for the conference, essentially it's this:
    • An Update from Firearms Policy Unit, Garda Headquarters.
    • The Range Authorisation Legislation: the old and the new.
    • The Range Certification Process: An overview
    • Garda Practitioner view of the Authorisation Process
    There will be Q&A after each talk and further opportunity to address issues
    during lunch. They expect it all to finish at about 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Sparks wrote: »
    Heard back from the DoJ on the agenda for the conference, essentially it's this:
    • An Update from Firearms Policy Unit, Garda Headquarters.
    • The Range Authorisation Legislation: the old and the new.
    • The Range Certification Process: An overview
    • Garda Practitioner view of the Authorisation Process
    There will be Q&A after each talk and further opportunity to address issues
    during lunch. They expect it all to finish at about 3pm.

Can you see if they can get us a date when the new Misc Provisions bill is going in. It would be nice to have all the conjecture put to bed.

Can definitely ask bigred, though I'm not sure they'll know (a lot of this is down to the Minister really).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Did I hear some time ago that there was a proposal to adopt Canadian range standards. It would seem to be a good idea to adopt an existing system that is proven to work (and there must be many).
    It looks like a comprehensive spec. There's even mention of action shooting in section 3. Also IPSC is specifically mentioned & catered for in the Canadian spec. No suprise considering Canada is the home of IPSC :D:D

Okay folks, last chance, I'm on the road at 0750 tomorrow so if you have questions that aren't going to this through your club, post 'em up...

Okay, sitting at lunch in the middle of the talk. Mood here is interesting, there's a lot of questions being asked and some new data coming out. Fuller posts later, but the teaser is that there are two new draft SIs released here that cover the club and range guidelines, the misc provisions bill has been discussed (but won't be released, the dail gets to see it first - it's close to that point, but being held up by the workload of the dail) the range certification process has been laid out, there's been a fair bit of exchange on the topics of how handguns have been represented in the media and by the Minister, and ISSF shooting is like watching paint dry :D

(Hey, I like watching paint dry, it's relaxing)

More to follow later this afternoon or evening with the two draft SIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

ISSF shooting is like watching paint dry

[Homer Moment] Mmmmmmm Paint aaaaauuuggggghhhh.....[/Homer Moment]
    We could always do ISSF biathlon with Beach Volleyball and Shooting - now there's a sight - Sparks in his speedos :eek::eek:

Good job Sparks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bigred wrote: »
    [Homer Moment] Mmmmmmm Paint aaaaauuuggggghhhh.....[/Homer Moment]
    We could always do ISSF biathlon with Beach Volleyball and Shooting - now there's a sight - Sparks in his speedos :eek::eek:

Good job Sparks!

My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

:p

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Resist temptation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Why does it always come down to me in my speedos?
    Anyway, back home from the conference now, I'm just going to grab a cup of tea and then more post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Drink faster ffs Sparks.

What are we paying you for?! Oh, right.

Sorry, did I type that out loud?

Ahem, enjoy your tea. Cough.

*slurpppp!*

Okay, so an interesting day all told. Kickoff was at 10, and by my count somewhere between 40 and 50 people attended from all over. There were some notable absences - Des Crofton was in Brussels, for example - but by and large attendance was good.

The running order was:
    • Welcome and opening by Garrett Byrne (DoJ)
    • Firearms Policy Unit update by Superintendent Fergus Healy (FPU)
    • The Range Authorisation Legislation: the old and the new by Sgt.Paul Greene (FPU)
    • The Range Certification Process by John Guinane (FRI)
    • The Garda Practitioners view of the Authorisation Process by Superintendent Aidan Glackin (from Athlone)
    • Closing by Lyall Plant (CAI)
    And there was time built into that for Q&A, though as always, you couldn't build in enough time for all the Q&A you'd like if you did nothing but Q&A all day long.

Garrett opened proceedings with the attached presentation and stressed the focus of the seminar, which was Section 33 of the CJA2006; that's the stuff that deals with certifying and authorising ranges, it'll be section 4A of the Firearms Act when everything gets signed in. He pointed out that there were two SI's in their draft stages (I've attached the club SI, the range SI is too large so I've uploaded it to here (which is what took so long). Folks, while these are late drafts, they are still just drafts - submissions can still be taken on them and they may still change, more on that later). The first SI covers shooting clubs and the second covers shooting ranges, and while those two areas have been muddled in the past, they're now introducing clean delineation between the two.

Garrett gave a brief update on the work of the FCP, pointing out that today is the culmination of the work of one of the several FCP subgroups who've been working away since the setting up of the FCP. A lot of legislative stuff is still being held up - the Misc Provisions bill is being tied up behind the Immigration Bill, for example - so things aren't as far along as had been hoped. There was also mention of the Ministers comments in November. It's hoped the Misc Bill will be out shortly.

The FCP was lauded as a success - there had been lots of mutual education which was easing the transition to a coherent system of firearms legislation, but more importantly, it was keeping open lines of communication by providing a forum for discussion.

Upcoming legislation was briefly discussed, the 3 year licence is due in this year, with outsourced fee collection; the Misc Provisions bill should go to the Dail shortly (we can't be shown this ahead of that point, the Dail has to be the first place it's released, otherwise you're showing contempt to the Oireachtas). It was stated however that the bill will, amongst other things, ban 'action shooting' and introduce controls on airsoft.

The Ministers November statement was then discussed. Garrett pointed out that as we've known for some time, it's hard to get good publicity for shooting sports. The events since christmas with the robberies of RFDs shows this. The Minister's view on this was that he was very concerned with the licencing situation at present and that the Charleton judgement was seen as the first 'sensible' judgement from the courts on the matter. The Minister, the Secretary-General of the DoJ and the Garda Commissioner all have strong views on the matter. The tide has turned to debating firearms ownership philosophy in Ireland. A tighter system of regulation was presented as being better for shooters in the long run, as a defence against those who would point to shootings in other jurisdictions (as we could say they couldn't happen under our, stricter, system).

Practical shooting was said to have been an attempt to go 'too fast too quickly', and it was felt the IPSA's decision to wind up had been the mature one for them to take under the circumstances.

Planning permission for ranges was then touched on, long enough for Garrett to make the point that the DoJ has no influence on the matter, that it's seperate from their aegis, and just because we satisfy all the DoJ/Garda/FRI requirements, does not mean we will be granted planning permission.

At that point Garrett wound up his introduction and handed over to Supt.Healy for his presentation.

The next presentation (which sort of blurred into the one after it) was by Superintendent Fergus Healy of the Firearms Policy Unit (FPU) (and by Sgt. Paul Greene also of the FPU), and began with the positive note that while there are problems, they're confident that they can be solved.

The presentation itself is attached.

They began with a brief overview of the FPU, it's a small unit attached to Garda HQ, whose basic role is to ensure that the Minister's and Commissioner's policies on firearms licencing are carried out in as consistent a manner as possible not only by the Superintendents but by all 14,000 gardai.

It was reiterated from the last FCP conference that the 2004 changes in licencing monumentally increased the workload on the Supers for licencing, because most of them were unfamiliar with the kinds of firearms now being licenced. Because of this, mistakes were made and people interpreted the law their own way and judicial review cases happened as a result in some cases. At the time, policy on licencing was really being driven, as it had been since before 1972, by security concerns. Sport wasn't really a factor. This has now changed, but huge concerns over proliferation remains.

The FPU was established in 2008 (only a few months ago) to ensure guidelines went to the Superintendents, that they were consistent in the application of the law, and to act as a central reference point for superintendents who had queries on the technical aspects of licencing (eg. how many firearms can a person have a licence for?) or a particular application (eg. what's a .22-250 and why's it different from a .243?). It was also to act as a central reference for the shooting associations (so for when there's a problem with an application and the applicant complains through his NGB, they have a phone number to ring) and the DoJ.

The FPU, it was stated, is concerned over handguns.

The Firearms Range Inspector (John Guinane) will take a lot of work off the FPU's hands by taking over the responsibility for range certification.

The FPU monitors court cases to gauge problems with legislation and implementation/interpretation of same.

The FPU also has a role with RFD applications as does the NCPU (National Crime Prevention Unit). It was also stated that the FPU has no doubt that RFDs and shooters in general are targets of criminals because we have firearms to steal.

The FPU's main concern is illicit use of firearms and they feel this can be addressed with the help of the shooting community.

At this point, the talk handed over to Sgt.Paul Greene, who went straight into a discussion of section 33 (that'll be section 4A of the firearms act when it's signed in). The application for a range authorisation will be made to the commissioner, but it's felt he will be delegating that to the local Superintendent. The register of ranges will be maintained by the FPU. The main concern is that there must be no danger to the public or the peace and that the club must be well-managed. Minimum standards will have to be complied with for both clubs and ranges.

For Clubs, there are membership constraints:
    • the club must have a set of rules
    • it must charge an annual fee for membership
    • there can be no 1-day or temporary memberships
    • there's a minimum of ten members
    • each member must be proposed by at least two current members
    • a register of members must be kept
    • a log of members' shooting activity must be kept (not performance, just that they're shooting) - if they don't shoot at least once every 6 months, the secretary has to notify the local superintendant
    • you cannot be a member if you are disentitled under the act from holding a firearms certificate (training cert holders excepted)
    • there are security rules regarding alarms and construction standards
    • the club must have an officer who meets every 6 months with the Superintendent to discuss any issues
    • the club secretary must inform the Superintendent if anyone leaves the club
    • the club secretary must inform the Superintendent if anyone loses their firearm or licence

This last point generated some fairly pointed discussion regarding who should inform whom if a licence was revoked or a firearm lost, and what happened to a club who didn't report such a thing (say, if they didn't know it had happened). It was strongly felt by those in the audience that it was the role of the Gardai to do the informing, not the club, since the club might never know. This raised even more questions, but these were put on temporary hold so we could complete the presentation, this was done by Superintendent Healy (this is what I meant by the presentations blurring together).

Superintendent Healy said that the authorisation process should be mutually beneficial to both shooters and the Gardai. He stressed the concerns Superintendents have at their responsibility (their ethical/moral responsibility, that is) in the event of an accident at a range they had authorised. He stressed that owning a firearm is a privilege, not a right, and that issuing authorisations or licences is a serious decision, not to be taken lightly.

At this point we went back to Q&A, and things got somewhat pointed.

When I say somewhat pointed, by the way, I don't mean people started throwing chairs; but there was definitely a degree of hostility there that we didn't see at the last FCP meeting. Personally speaking, I think that it was understandable given the ****e that the Minister came out with in November, but I think the hostility (the comments were fine, they get reported up the line) was really aimed at the wrong people. Garrett Byrne, John Guinane, they're professional civil servants who have to follow Ministerial policy regardless of their personal feelings on the matter; and the Gardai are similarly bound both to the law and to the direction of the Commissioner. To be honest, yelling at these people over the Minister's comments is like yelling at the 17-year-old on the front desk in McDonalds because McDonalds don't serve falafel. (Go ahead, call me a suck-up, it's still a valid point).

Anyway.

Things started off calmly enough. The first concerns raised in Q&A were over club membership concerns, specifically about 1-day memberships, temporary memberships, notifying the super of people leaving, and so on. The FPU's concern here is that they don't want people joining for a day to get a licence then sodding off to never be heard from again.

The question of not allowing disentitled people to be members came up and saw no real resolution that I could see. I personally was wondering what the story was with regard to club members who don't shoot and never will (we have a lot of juniors whose parents have helped out in the club but don't shoot themselves, and without them we'd be stuffed). I got no real answer here, but did later on from John Guinane - if you have an authorisation under 2.4(d) through your local superintendent (like the college clubs), then none of this stuff applies. It only applies to those going through section 4A, which will probably be 95% of the clubs in the country. For those, John suggests that the club have two memberships - shooting and non-shooting (they have this in several clubs up north, like Comber). So we'd need to restructure, and we'd need to have a chat with our insurance people, but it's not the end of the world (personally, I'd still like to see this changed in the SI to save the trouble, and that might still happen, I hope).

The question of what sanctions would be laid against the club if a disentitled person shot there using a club gun was raised (the club might not know that shooter was disentitled). The FPU will handle an incident like that on a case-by-case basis.

At this point, the heated stuff started, with a question on how handguns could be seen to 'taint' the sport (something Garrett had mentioned earlier as part of the Minister's view on things). Garrett pointed out that the media coverage as well as the trends in crime of late was the taint being referred to.

The next question was the blunt 'will we have our guns next year?'. Garrett laid out that the key to safeguarding everything was securing public opinion on our side, and pointed out that having done so before the events at the end of last year would have helped enormously.

The question was then restated, again bluntly, as the questioner didn't feel it had been answered. Both the FPU and GB responded, the consensus being that handguns were the primary concern of the DoJ&Gardai, that the vast majority of the shooting community are known to be highly responsible but that handguns are a major concern because of their use in crimes of late. The point was made that all licence holders are targets for criminals because of their firearms ownership, but the handgun owners are more at risk than rifle or shotgun owners.

The next question was one we've asked here and in PQs repeatedly: how many licenced handguns are used in crimes. The answer from the FPU was that there was no evidence that they were used in crimes, but that the FPU regardless knows that they have been used in crimes.

The next question was that given how handguns used in crime were smuggled in with drugs and such, why should legitimate owners be penalised? The FPU responded that there are 1800 licenced handguns and a lot of crimes and that therefore handguns are a concern.

The next question was what the commissioner felt about the new SIs and how they improved security. GB made the point that all of these SIs were coming from an imperfect place, that the situation now is one set by acts and court cases and not discussion or debate - he found the idea of some of what's in the SIs to be suboptimal, that they could have been handled in a better way. He made the point that he felt it would now be getting harder and harder to get a licence for a handgun. He also made the point that they had received a lot of feedback and comments on the Ministers comments last year (emails, faxes, letters, phone calls, messages from TDs following from them meeting shooters and so on) and that it was taken notice of in the Department.

The next question (and a few after) wasn't really a question, but a statement that we shouldn't be tied to criminal abuse of firearms, that the new legislation was over the top, and that we felt we had a right to own a firearm.

The next question was on the topic of authorisations allowing the exchange of firearms on a range and on club pistols, but this was felt to be more to do with ranges than with clubs and we'd handle range stuff in the afternoon session so it was deferred.

It was then asked if a club member applied for a licence for a handgun (already having one for something else) and was refused, did he then have to be asked to leave the club? Or would he have to leave if he joined, learnt to shoot on a club pistol, then applied for one of his own and was refused? On the former, it was thought he was fine; but on the latter, it was said he should be asked to leave, as shooting clubs shouldn't have members who don't shoot. This was taken exception to on the grounds that there's a difference between a refusal and a revocation, but no progress was made on that issue.

The next statement was that the Nov19 statement by the Minister was an insult to all shooters and that the Minister should make a formal statement that either the problem is solved with these SIs and that he has confidence in our sport; or that there still is a problem and to lay it out in detail. (Given that the Minister can't be bound to that by a civil servant of any rank, there wasn't any response, oddly enough :rolleyes: Seriously folks, I get the idea, I think it'd be super-cool-peachy-keen for it to happen, but you need to talk to the boss, not the employees on this)

It was asked if Removal Orders could be done away with under the new SI. After a brief moment of explaining what one was, the answer was that there was no proposal to do that on the table from anyone.

It was asked if the Garda Commissioner would, following these SIs, promote our sport as safe and responsible to the Minister. The response was that there was no evidence that licenced handguns were being used in crime, with very strong emphasis on the distinct phrase "we have no evidence", and a clear implication that the FPU still believes it is happening. (And asking a garda of any rank other than Commissioner to commit the Commissioner to a course of action did seem like being on a hiding to nowhere, even more so than asking a civil servant to commit the Minister to something)

At this point, time was running short and we had one presentation left before lunch, so John Guinane halted the Q&A and we went on with his presentation.

John's presentation was a high-level overview of the range certification process. As he said at the start, he wasn't going to go into the details, those were available in the SI, but to go over how the process would run. The SI is the canadian standard, which is adapted from JSP401 by removing things like the requirements for firing a 20mm cannon or an AT-4 anti-tank missile on the range, and instead catering to civilian target shooting.

The first and most important point of the process is that you have to go through John. It is a collaborative process, you can't call him in on the last day to do a brief inspection and sign-off.

We start the process off by deciding what kind of range we want, what we want to shoot there, how many firing points and so on.

At that point, we contact John (his email, address and phone number are in the attached presentation). After the initial email/phone call/whatever, we send in a confirmation in writing to him, This should include any existing authorisation, any range safety documentation, any training documentation, a range sketch (at this stage it doesn't have to be professionally done), and any other relevant documentation (of any kind, in any quantity). It was pointed out that the range standard will ensure that there's a one-in-a-million chance of something fired on the range getting off the range, but that this doesn't include unsafe range practise and that that's our responsibility (hence the need for range safety/training documentation).

After this, John sends back the full guidelines (they're not completed yet, but here's the latest draft version) and the Application form. He'll also notify the local superintendent's office. At this point, John pointed out that something that must be done for our sake is to keep the local super in the loop all the way through and to copy him on everything sent to John. The final Range Authorisation is the responsibility of the local Super; the final Range Certification is John's responsibility. But there's seperation of powers here; John can't influence the Super and vice versa; so for our sake, involve the super from day one.

At this stage, John makes his first visit to the range. Again here, an aside from John - there will be many visits and do not waste money on range construction without checking with him first if what you're proposing will actually get the range closer to certification. It might well be utterly useless. JG will always give approval in writing for any such works.

At some stage before certification is granted, a professional surveyor must inspect the range and confirm that the dimensions and features are as stated in the range sketch (is that backstop 8mm thick? Is it 50 metres from the firing point? etc, etc, etc).

The point was then made again that Range Authorisation and Range Certification are wholly seperate things, managed by wholly seperate groups, with no influence on one group available to the other.

At that point John took questions.

It was asked if the surveyor was covered by CAI insurance. Lyall Platt of the CAI said that most surveyors have their own insurance, but that yes, it was still covered.

It was asked if the old Garda guidelines were much harder than the new ones. John outlined the differences between the JSP and the Canadian guidelines and said that there were no guarantees but that if you passed the old JSP guidelines, you had very good odds of passing the new guidelines.

It was asked if, after the whole process, a new super was appointed and he said no to the authorisation after lots of work and money, what would happen? John reiterated his lack of influence over the Super, and the FPU said that if circumstances had not changed, neither should the Super's decision, but in the heel of the hunt, the Super is the persona designata and they couldn't order him about. It was confirmed, however, that it could be challanged in the District Court.

It was asked if Military ranges could be opened to Civilian shooters; John's first response was "pass", he explained that he had no influence at all over the MoD and it was down to them and local commandants.

At that point, lunch was called.

I don't think lunch warrants much comment! (though thanks Lyall for lunch, and next time, can I pay the extra fiver on my CAI insurance so we get the chocolate cake for dessert? :D )

After lunch, we had Superintendant Aidan Glackan on the viewpoint of the garda practitioner, who began by stating that most of the difficulties we have are down to legislation which doesn't match the environment. The FCP is helping in this regard, along with the FPU. He made the side point that a lot of money is wasted by doing range work without consulting the gardai at the moment. He made the point that shooters are generally highly invested, with high expectations and that the acknowleged lack of consistency between districts leads to a lot of fustration.

He continued, covering topics of possession and carriage - what they referred to, what the gardai were in effect agreeing to when they granted the licence and what concerns they have in that regard. He also made the point that it was a fact that licenced firearms owners were a target for criminals. He also stressed the importance of good management in clubs, and he finished up by saying that the new legislation will benefit shooter and gardai alike (it was a short presentation).

At that point, the floor was reopened for questions, which would continue until the closing.

The second round of questions was less heated than the first; fatigue and lunch may have helped there.

There was some questions regarding carriage of firearms, beginning with the query of why the gardai were worrying about carriage of loaded firearms when noone carrying a loaded firearm to a range would be allowed in the door over safety. The answer was that the gardai couldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't ever forget to unload the firearm; so they had to consider it.

The (thanks for beating me to it whomever it was) point that we don't have Weapons, we have Firearms was made, to the general mirth of all including the top table, and the mild embarressment of Aidan, who apologised for the faux pas.

There was a somewhat confused question about how the security provided, rather than the individual themselves should be considered; this was clarified to the security of their storage arrangements, which was accepted as a factor in the decision. (Personally, I thought this was utterly daft as an idea - I don't care how good his safe is, I don't want to see Martin Foley given a gun licence, thanksverymuch)

It was asked whether further restrictions on carriage relating to the seperation of ammunition and firearms would be sought; the response was that it wouldn't be sought in an SI but it would be stressed to each individual to be safe in their carriage practices.

At this point Aidan made the side point that Gardai are required to consider the worst-case scenario, even when they know that the normal situation is far, far less worrying.

The next few questions centred on carriage also, with the very valid question being asked - if, on the way to the range, you stop for diesel and while you're paying in the shop, your car is stolen with the gun inside (but the bolt in your pocket); would your due diligence in keeping a vital component on your person be seen by the superintendent as sufficient reason to not level sanctions at you (like not getting another cert). The general response from the FPU was that if the bolt was in your pocket, the gun wasn't out there for them to worry about; but during a followup question seeking clarification, Declan Cahill made the point that security begins with shooters and it was silly for us to seek an SI saying what practises we had to adhere to in carriage, that there were several procedures internationally for that sort of thing. I think that there was some confusion in here as the question wandered a bit from 'what would happen if I did my best but was robbed anyway' to 'what do I have to do for you to think I did nothing wrong' to 'what do I have to do' ; but that's just my personal opinion.

The next question was on public safety in the eyes of the law, and specifically whether it was the storage or the shooter who was the main concern. GB responded that the act cut across all concerns equally.

It was asked if the Minister wanted to remove more firearms from circulation. GB responded that we were now under a new licencing system and we should wait to see how that settled out.

It was asked if we could do anything as a community to boost the Minister's confidence in us; GB responded that it's not the Minister's confidence really, but the Dail's. When asked what we could do to boost their confidence, GB responded that the contact with the Associations (through the FCP) and public opinion were enormously important.

At this point, Lyall Plant of the CAI officially closed the seminar, asking that we disseminate all the information as widely as we could; that we have to build support to help us with legislation; and that we should all lobby together.

While the seminar was now offically over so that those who had to could depart early (everyone was worried about both traffic and the conditions of the roads - they were pretty awful getting in that morning), the Q&A continued for another half-hour or so, with some interesting points.

The first question was when the SIs would be enacted. GB said that both are in late draft stage, with the clubs SI closer to the end line - it's expected it will be signed at the end of March, so last comments had to be in by about next Friday (comments were limited though, as the scope of the clubs SI is bound by section 33 of the CJA2006). The Ranges SI will follow later on.

It was asked if restricted firearms could be authorised as club firearms; no real consensus was reached, though the point was strongly made that if they couldn't be, noone could ever be safely trained on them using a club gun (the training licence was mentioned here, but it's not a satisfactory solution obviously). No consensus was reached though, because it was pointed out by one of the FCP members that the part of the SI talking about club guns and the restricted list is about storage on the range only, not use.

Reloading was asked about, whether the Misc bill would cope with it. JG replied that Section 40 of the CJA2006 (that's the bit that puts in section 10A in the firearms act, allowing reloading) won't in fact be implemented, it will actually be revoked and reloading will be handled under a rewrite of the Explosives Act, probably in April or May. This raised an eyebrow, prompting the point that propellant is not an explosive. JG pointed out that he's not just the Firearms Range Inspector, but also the government inspector of explosives, and that propellant is defined legally as an explosive even though it technically isn't one (this is like the definition of "assault rifle" in the restricted list not being our definition of one). He said that as it was legally an explosive, it had to be looked after in the explosives act, which is being rewritten and will hopefully be out later this year.

John also said that submissions on reloading had been sought since last year, and so far only one had been sent in. He made the point that it's not too late, they'll accept submissions from anyone. Again, speaking personally, guys, what the ****? How can everyone be complaining about the stupid rules on reloading, but only one person actually sent anything in? Gah!

The next question was on monitored alarms and whether or not they're really the best option for security - the response from the FPU was that while there are those who disagree, they had to pick a standard for everyone and the consensus was that monitored alarms were the best general option.

The final question wasn't; it was a statement of thanks to the FCP and FPU and DoJ and CAI for organising the day; but for the FPU/DoJ people to go back to the Minister and Commissioner and remind them that not only were we safe and not a security concern, but also of how much the shooting industry contributes to the exchequer through licence fees, taxes of various kinds and so forth.

And that finally did conclude the seminar, we all said our goodbyes, collected documents and headed home. It wasn't quite as relaxed as the first FCP conference last year, but I guess that was to be expected with all the recent problems we've had with the Minister and the media and so on. I still think the FCP's the best shot we have here though; keeping folks talking is the only way to stop something more damaging from happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Mark .

Many thanks for giving up your day and evening for target shooting sports .

Superb Report:D:D:D

John

No worries John.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

At this point, the heated stuff started, with a question on how handguns could be seen to 'taint' the sport (something Garrett had mentioned earlier as part of the Minister's view on things). Garrett pointed out that the media coverage as well as the trends in crime of late was the taint being referred to.

The next question was the blunt 'will we have our guns next year?'. Garrett laid out that the key to safeguarding everything was securing public opinion on our side, and pointed out that having done so before the events at the end of last year would have helped enormously.

The question was then restated, again bluntly, as the questioner didn't feel it had been answered. Both the FPU and GB responded, the consensus being that handguns were the primary concern of the DoJ&Gardai, that the vast majority of the shooting community are known to be highly responsible but that handguns are a major concern because of their use in crimes of late. The point was made that all licence holders are targets for criminals because of their firearms ownership, but the handgun owners are more at risk than rifle or shotgun owners.

The next question was one we've asked here and in PQs repeatedly: how many licenced handguns are used in crimes. The answer from the FPU was that there was no evidence that they were used in crimes, but that the FPU regardless knows that they have been used in crimes.

The next question was that given how handguns used in crime were smuggled in with drugs and such, why should legitimate owners be penalised? The FPU responded that there are 1800 licenced handguns and a lot of crimes and that therefore handguns are a concern.

Thanks for posting all this Sparks and for being there on the da,,It makes for well intresting reading.
    However it is not surprising that things would get heated if anyone got such evasive and daft answers as that!!
    Considering the only "taint " has been coming from GB's Boss opening his big mouth to the media and inserting both feet therein about handguns,and the shooting organisations doing their utmost to repair the damage caused by Min Aherne.I think that one is a bit rich!!! Also in the big picture of things I think nowadays the GP are NOT fooled anymore by the claim that liscensed handguns are the problem.So again WTF is that all about???

The FPU comments are downright alarming!!!
    There is no evidence of liscensed handguns being used in crime,but the FPU knows regardless they have been used in crime!!! That is the most contradictory statement ever,and shows a distinct lack of evidence gathering or proof of facts!!
    How will a criminal know wether anyone is a handgun owner or shotgun owner????Unless we are all being tailed by criminals going to and from ranges,or more likely GARDA STATIONS lugging all our guns in for the annual inspection..,or somone or their family blabbing what they have to all and sundry...How would a criminal know??Only other place that info could leak is the Gardai themselves!Considering that one of their members had one of their duty firearms stolen..Maybe they should remove the beam from their own eyes,before attending to ours??

And the final one..practical shooting was too far too soon,and that it was a "mature" decision of the IPSA to close up!!!Well, thats sort of saying to a suspected witch in the Witch hunts of the middle ages.Twas wise that thou didst confess to being a witch.Saves all the nasty torture and stuff..Come along to the stake that we can burn thy body and redeem you!!:rolleyes::(
    So we are not able to discern between a sport or real combat training???Well, guess all that "evidence" of bodygaurd training etc is now totally unnecessary.But then again that sounded like somthing of the FPU evidence that legal handguns are used crime.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting all this Sparks,It makes for well intresting reading.
    However it is not surprising that things would get heated if anyone got such evasive and daft answers as that!!
    Thing is, we have rules (in the consititution) that say that a civil servant follows the Minister's direction; not the other way round. Mandarins aren't meant to set policy. I don't think GB really would agree with the Minister's line on all this, but he's a paid professional, he doesn't get to bring his personal opinion to the table.
    I'm not saying the line is right, you understand - I'm just saying we ought to yell at the guy responsible, not the guy who gets stuck out front to take the flack for someone who doesn't show up on the day, y'know?
    The FPU comments are downright alarming!!!
    I though so myself, but not for the same reason you just listed - I mean, to say 'I have no evidence... but it's happening' from a garda, well 'evidence' has a pretty specific meaning in their world, doesn't it?
    How will a criminal know wether anyone is a handgun owner or shotgun owner?
    I can think of at least three or four ways (the envelopes in the mail last august, being seen in the Irish Shooters Digest, being seen getting your licence renewed at the garda station, being seen going to the local range, etc, etc, etc).
    How is not quite so important as what happens next in such a case.
    Personally though, I don't buy it - there's far less risk in just buying a firearm. RFDs might be different - the concentration of guns in one place makes the cost/benefit ratio better for the criminal - but for ordinary shooters?
    And the final one..practical shooting was too far too soon,and that it was a "mature" decision of the IPSA to close up!!!Well, thats sort of saying to a suspected witch in the Witch hunts of the middle ages.Twas wise that thou didst confess to being a witch.Saves all the nasty torture and stuff..Come along to the stake that we can burn thy body and redeem you!!:rolleyes::(
    So we are not able to discern between a sport or real combat training???Well, guess all that "evidence" of bodygaurd training etc is now totally unnecessary.But then again that sounded like somthing of the FPU evidence that legal handguns are used crime.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I'm not going to comment on that (I'm somewhat under-qualified I think) but I think there's more than one person here who could comment on both sides of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I though so myself, but not for the same reason you just listed - I mean, to say 'I have no evidence... but it's happening' from a garda, well 'evidence' has a pretty specific meaning in their world, doesn't it?

Indeedy!And thats the most scary bit!Evidence has to be somthing tangible,or physical that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that there is "evidence" of a crime or POV beimng comitted or proved.That is sort of saying,well we have no actual evidence to show you,BUT we know it is happening and that is evidence enough...So Now!
    Phew! That is verrrryy scary in a democracy with a court system,and rules of evidence.Seems that has gone out the door:eek::eek::eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Thanks for all the info sparks. At least paintball venues are not classed as ranges anymore which is one less thing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Thanks for all that Sparks, that's a hell of a lot of typing! :D

Erm, does this refer to the Minister, or to a prominent person in shooting politics who just happened to find something more important to be doing in Brussels for the day? ;)
    ...someone who doesn't show up on the day

Rovi wrote: »
    Thanks for all that Sparks, that's a hell of a lot of typing! :D
    Thank the nuns in St.Davids Rovi, they still believed the best thing to teach kids to prepare them for working in a modern world was touch-typing on manual typewriters...
    ...only took me two broken keyboards to learn how not to punch through a computer keyboard and all!
    Erm, does this refer to the Minister, or to a prominent person in shooting politics who just happened to find something more important to be doing in Brussels for the day? ;)
    Gosh, that's awful cynical of you Rovi, I couldn't possibly comment :D
    But I did actually mean the Minister - I'm sure Des and GB get on well, but GB's not contractually obligated to defend Des :D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

A few questions.

1) Is the office of Range Inspector, a civil service post?.

2) If yes to above, where was it advertised?. What is the rate of pay?. What are the age limitations? ETC

3) If no to No. 1, how was he appointed, what qualifications does he
    have ( Does Chemical engineering have a bearing)?

Just the first things that came to mind.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just a couple of quick points to cover off some of the questions.
    Rovi wrote:
    Erm, does this refer to the Minister, or to a prominent person in shooting politics who just happened to find something more important to be doing in Brussels for the day? wink.gif

Just to add that the conference was originally scheduled for the end of Jan and Des was free to go to it, but when it was put back he had a conflicting engagement for the new date that he couldn't get out of.

As regards the 'evidence' issue, we all know that the Gardai have quite a bit of knowledge of what goes on in the criminal underworld, but actual evidence is far harder to obtain.

For example, they could know who broke into a house and stole a firearm, have no evidence to arrest them but would know that the firearm will be used in a crime, even might know which actual crime, but again have no evidence to arrest and make a conviction.

There's been quite a bit of discussion in the media in recent months about the type and quality of evidence the Gardai can use. It's probably very frustrating to be in a position to know what's going on but not be able to act on that knowledge.

One of the statistics that shocked me from yesterday's Garda annual report was that there was an average of two cash in transit robberies every day last year.

Advertisement