Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Script to extract EXIF Info from Photos

• 05-02-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Just tought i'd share this with the group. This is a vbscript which extracts the EXIF information from all images in a folder and writes it to a text file. It's very easy to use.

Here is an example of the information extracted.
    IMG_0422.jpg, Make: Canon, Model: Canon EOS 40D, Date/Time: 2008:09:05 13:09:40, Exposure Time: 1/30, Aperture: 8, Focal Length: 65, Flash: Yes
    IMG_1650.jpg, Make: Canon, Model: Canon EOS 40D, Date/Time: 2009:01:30 12:55:06, Exposure Time: 1/160, Aperture: 5.6, Focal Length: 176, Flash: Yes

If you are interested, just download the the attached zip file and extract it to the local C:\ drive. When done the folder structure should be C:\JpegInfo\Images.

Simply place the images you want to work with into the images folder and double click on the file C:\JpegInfo\getJpegInfo.vbs. You get prompted if you want to open the the text file which is saved in C:\JpegInfo\Images. Choose yes to view the info.

I hope someone finds this useful. I use a variation of this to populate XML files for my website.

Dave OS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks works well except for one issue,It says all the images in there used a flash and only one did?
    And when i remove the image with the flash used ot still says all images used flash even though i've deleted the text file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Forgot to put the disclaimer on it. I'll see if I can fix it. :confused:

Dave OS

oshead wrote: »
    Forgot to put the disclaimer on it. I'll see if I can fix it. :confused:

Dave OS

No!Don't bother fixing it,unless it bothers others..It's fine for me it's fairly easy to tell if a flash was used or it.Very pleased with it though quick and easy :)

OK.... I have updated the script. I've made a few changes listed below.
    • Date/Time: It was showing the incorrect date time, sorted.
    • Added Software tag used to process the image.
    • I have added an additional way to run the script. You can now simply drag and drop any folder of images on to the script. It then runs and extracts the EXIF info and writes and saves a text file to that folder.
    • I could not fix the flashed fired. Seems different camera makes return different values.

You can download the scripts below.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

like that Dave - well done to you. Oh but you've put a yearning on me now to go back to my programming roots.

The first version you posted was neater for a subsequent import to excel as a comma delimited file. The second version has the header which confuses excel. Still all you have to do is delete it in notepad and then import.

A further tweak might be worth considering (if i do go back and do a little programming) would be to output a header of column titles, and detail rows of pure attribute values.

Thanks again for posting.

// Off to amazon to pick up "Learning to program again for Dummies" // :D

• Advertisement

It's very tempting, once you get stuck in, to go deep. I'm trying to cram for a SQL exam at the moment. The test is tomorrow, so I'll have a look at putting the header info on it when I get back. That is, if you don't do it yourself. :)

Dave OS

oshead wrote: »
    It's very tempting, once you get stuck in, to go deep. I'm trying to cram for a SQL exam at the moment. The test is tomorrow, so I'll have a look at putting the header info on it when I get back. That is, if you don't do it yourself. :)

Dave OS

Good luck in the exam!:D

And i'll have a mess about with the newer one and post any issues here soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

w0w i didn't realise VBScript even still existed

towel401 wrote: »
    w0w i didn't realise VBScript even still existed

You're showing your age.... :eek:

Advertisement