Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I knew I wasn't hallucinating when I saw those signs. :D

I can give a second confirmation that that has indeed happened as when I was driving a few weeks ago, I saw the 120 km/h signs covered in plastic. I presume that they have been removed. About it...

Now all that's left to do... is bring in the blue... :D

Well, the blue must indeed come in. And they also badly need to reline the road, and put in new cats eyes as well. Visibility is terrible there on a very black night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    Well, the blue must indeed come in. And they also badly need to reline the road, and put in new cats eyes as well. Visibility is terrible there on a very black night.

Yes, the road is very faded in places, and compared to the Fermoy bypass, visibility is a bit of a joke.

I can't wait for the stretch to be redesignated, there was very little opposition (compared to the Athlone bypass and the N11 schemes). It'll mean an end to the needless inconsistency of the route (which just confuses tourists, I know, having had people over from England, the current set-up is confusing...)

They can also get rid of the horrible "M8 (Toll)" signs while they're at it. Hideous creations that needlessly confuse the issue. "M8" and then a white "toll" box (like on the M50), will do. Also, the horrible motorway patching at the either end of the bypass can be removed as well. It looks terrible.

Other improvements to the route, since I'm having a gripe, could be:

> Provision of phones on the 43 km Cashel N. > Mitchelstown S. scheme. (Though this'll happen in due course I'm sure).

> Real landscaping on the Cashel-Mitch.

> Reflectors on the central reservation (the concrete barrier is hard to see at night).

> MSAs (in due course, I know, but ideally they should already be under construction to tie in with the complete opening of the route in 2010).

> Illuminated signage at junctions. (Once again, I'm not asking for lights on every little sign. Just on the 1km ADS and the cantilever at the very least).

I am also aware that these improvements could be made to other Irish motorways, but since the M8 (and the M9) are the motorways I use most frequently, those are the improvements I'd like.

Also Dunkettle junction needs sorting out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The speed limit has been raised from 100 to 120 km/h along the N8 from Watergrasshill to Glanmire. This means the speed limit no longer drops suddenly as you leave the M8 toll road for Cork. From Glanmire to Dunkettle, a speed limit of 100km/h remains in force.

It'll probably stay like that even if/when the Dunkettle-Watergrasshill stretch is redesignated from N8 to M8.

I can't wait for the stretch to be redesignated, there was very little opposition (compared to the Athlone bypass and the N11 schemes). It'll mean an end to the needless inconsistency of the route (which just confuses tourists, I know, having had people over from England, the current set-up is confusing...)

They must not be used to the A1/A1(M)/A1/A1(M)/A1/A1(M)..........so! ;)

I have 12 new photos of the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme up here and in the two subsequent posts on that thread.

• Advertisement

Cashel to Cullahill - which is brilliant, by the way - opened at 3.05pm this afternoon. For first impressions, read the most recent posts on this thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311975&page=23

3123117339_845daf04cf.jpg
    Junction 13 of the M8 under construction, December 2008.

3123950094_d48ba6ba6d.jpg
    The M8 between Junctions 13 and 14, looking south ~ December 2008.

3123146053_79a4098527.jpg
    M8 looking north, 4km south of Mitchelstown in County Cork, Dec. 2008.

3123151093_b81933158e.jpg
    The M8 looking south just south of Junction 12, December 2008.

Also, a Youtube clip of the M8 southbound between Cashel and Cahir (pardon Avril Lavigne):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Also, a Youtube clip of the M8 southbound between Cashel and Cahir (pardon Avril Lavigne):

:p

3140940619_f8a84c9223.jpg
    The M8 looking southbound at junction 9 (December 2008).

3140970195_609c9074ef.jpg
    The M8 looking south towards Cahir (December 2008).

3140935611_332fc5bece.jpg
    View north from the same overbridge (at the L3121), December 2008.

Thats nice and straight

• Advertisement

3145811584_fa8a60d3a8.jpg
    Carrigane.

3145807960_e5433ee175.jpg
    Slievenamon in the distance.

3145745128_2d6cc94893.jpg
    The Galtees.

HOLY CRAP THEY FUTUREPROOFED THAT SIGN

HOLY CRAP THEY FUTUREPROOFED THAT SIGN

Amazing isn't it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

In 1min 22sec of movie you can see parking area very close to driving lines. Is it common on Irish roads? Is it just emmergency stoppig area and apart from that you have normal rest areas?

Geogregor wrote: »
    In 1min 22sec of movie you can see parking area very close to driving lines. Is it common on Irish roads? Is it just emmergency stoppig area and apart from that you have normal rest areas?

Well the M6 and M8 are riddled with those hideous parking areas that shouldn't be there. The only emergency stopping area needed on motorways IMO is the hard shoulder equipped with emergency telephones. Rest areas can be provided by MSAs and towns along the route. Parking has no place on a motorway.

Hopefully when the MSAs open those stupid rest areas will be ripped-out. They belong on lower-spec, non-motorway national roads, not 120 km/h clearways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whats the design reasoning behind these rest areas by the road? i know they're relics from when the plans were being developed as DCs, are they for HGVs or what?

Whats the design reasoning behind these rest areas by the road? i know they're relics from when the plans were being developed as DCs, are they for HGVs or what?

I really haven't a clue. As far as I remember, they had a policy document on the provision of lay-bys on the NRA website, but it was removed (or possibly placed somewhere else). I'm kicking myself for not having read it.

Either way, this ridiculous situation stems from the NRA's inability three years ago to decide whether MSAs were necessary or not. If they happened flapped about changing their minds every five minutes, at least three of the MSAs would be well on their way to opening, with at least three more in the advanced planning stages there-by negating any need for lay-bys.

The NRA doesn't have a clue what it's doing with lay-bys. When I e-mailed them they told me that they were "reviewing" the current situation with regard to them. "Reviewing" - what the hell? Simple fact: lay-bys aren't allowed on motorways and for good reasons. There is no "reviewing" to be done.

This subject makes me mad so I better stop... :D

I managed to get my Cashel to Cullahill recording up on Youtube - well, three-quarters of it anyway. I've also added some captions, so you'll know where you're looking at.

(I hope you like Oasis)

EDIT - Just to point out: the film was recorded on St Stephen's Day; that's why the road is so quiet.

As soon as the fourth section is ready, I'll post that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Impressive rock cutting indeed mid-way through the first video!

Thanks for posting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anybody else find the cats eyes sitting a bit too proud on the M8 ?

They'd rattle the teeth out of your head every time you go to change lanes

• Advertisement

Can I just point your attention to 0:34 of the first clip. I always used to wonder what that extra bit of "lined out" carriageway was for, well it turns out it is to do with sightlines. In order to have motorway standard sightlines, the northbound carriageway actually has to bend more gently relative to the southbound carriageway. It's an interesting fact that I only recently picked up on.

Sometimes they plant a bit of grass in that space... shame they couldn't do it here, grass helps offset the ugliness of the CSB.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Anybody else find the cats eyes sitting a bit too proud on the M8 ?

They'd rattle the teeth out of your head every time you go to change lanes

I kind of know what you mean, but they're absolutely fantastic at night.

Et voila, the final quarter. This stops about 2km shy of the Cullahill roundabout.

Can I just point your attention to 0:34 of the first clip. I always used to wonder what that extra bit of "lined out" carriageway was for, well it turns out it is to do with sightlines. In order to have motorway standard sightlines, the northbound carriageway actually has to bend more gently relative to the southbound carriageway. It's an interesting fact that I only recently picked up on.

Sometimes they plant a bit of grass in that space... shame they couldn't do it here, grass helps offset the ugliness of the CSB.

I was always wondering that too. They have a hacking great chunk of it on the Ennis bypass.

Edit: suicidal crow at 0.34 in the first vid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks, that's really interesting to know. I could never figure out what those extra bits of lined out carriageway were for.

Was saying in the M6 thread that it looked a bit like they were doing a wide median near what will be the M6/N18 junction. A wide median didn't make sense because they don't seem to be doing one anywhere else that project.

I can't say for sure but an extra piece of lined out carriageway for sightline purposes would make a lot more sense than a wide median there, especially as the stretch in question is on/going into a bit of a bend/curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Great videos. When were they taken? This motorway looks very quiet. So little traffic. Is it Sunday? Christmas?

And of course again this funny parking bays.
    By the way how wide are emergency lanes and driving lanes on Irish motorways?

Great videos. When were they taken? This motorway looks very quiet. So little traffic. Is it Sunday? Christmas?

And of course again this funny parking bays.
    By the way how wide are emergency lanes and driving lanes on Irish motorways?

Irish Wide Median:

Driving Lanes - 3.75 m
    Emergency Lane - 3 m

Irish Narrow Median

Driving Lanes - 3.5 m
    Emergency Lane - 2.5 m

Hi, yes one was taken on Christmas Day; the rest were taken on December 26th - both probably the quietest days of the year.

3123117339_845daf04cf.jpg
    Junction 13 of the M8 under construction, December 2008.

3123950094_d48ba6ba6d.jpg
    The M8 between Junctions 13 and 14, looking south ~ December 2008.

3123146053_79a4098527.jpg
    M8 looking north, 4km south of Mitchelstown in County Cork, Dec. 2008.

3123151093_b81933158e.jpg
    The M8 looking south just south of Junction 12, December 2008.

Thanks for those.

I know that you've said that there's not going to be a sectional opening, but based on what I've seen of the construction progress, I'd hazard a guess that the section from Moorepark (just north of Fermoy) to just south of Mitchelstown could be opened before the remainder.

Most of that section certainly looks almost ready for traffic.

• Advertisement

I know that you've said that there's not going to be a sectional opening, but based on what I've seen of the construction progress, I'd hazard a guess that the section from Moorepark (just north of Fermoy) to just south of Mitchelstown could be opened before the remainder.

Most of that section certainly looks almost ready for traffic.

I asked the top man on the project if there'd be a sectional opening, and he said no. Rapid progress is being made on the northern section, and I'd say that by March it will have caught up with the northern section, allowing a late May opening. 90% of the work at the moment is focusing on the northern section; the only work going on at the southern section is median construction, which requires only a small team to install.

Still, I personally would like a sectional opening.

Advertisement