Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are 85% of you really Christians?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

asdasd wrote: »
    I know there is something you can send to a Bishop,

His P45...?

This! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

asdasd wrote: »
    in any case being baptised christian=christian. legally.

:eek:The law knows that some guy poured water on me as a baby? Is there a file with the DPP?

For the benefit of anyone else who is 'legally' catholic: As of 1983 there are nine canons under which excommunication can take place. Five of them only apply to priests or bishops. The others are
    - Physically attacking the pope.
    - 'Violation of sacred species' (Desecrating a consecrated host).
    - Procuring of abortion
    - Apostasy, heresy, or schism. ("those who make a public renunciation of all religion may be subsumed under this category [apostates].")

So, if you write to the parish that baptised you presenting evidence of any of the above, they should be able to take you off the books. (In the case of attacking the pope, you probably don't need to write)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Right lads, who fancies a trip to Rome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SilkySmooth

cornbb wrote: »
    They are the biggest Christian denomination, no? Furthermore, not all of my criticisms apply to the catholic church only. Plenty of christian churches have homophobic tendencies, to give one example.

i thought you were only referring to the Catholic Church in your response to Octavarian. You said so yourself:
    cornbb wrote: »
    It was an obvious reference to the Catholic church.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well going by the posts and the census he's obviously not of no religion. Catholic makes up 90% of the rest. Pretty good odds...

The thread title says ''Are you 85% of you Christians?". In that case there were good odds that he was a Christian, not a Catholic. Yet, cornbb assumed that he was Catholic. I just thought that was rather amusing. Far
    be it from me to get in the way of criticism of the catholic church, though. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:eek:The law knows that some guy poured water on me as a baby? Is there a file with the DPP?

For the benefit of anyone else who is 'legally' catholic: As of 1983 there are nine canons under which excommunication can take place. Five of them only apply to priests or bishops. The others are
    - 'Violation of sacred species' (Desecrating a consecrated host).
    - Procuring of abortion
    - Apostasy, heresy, or schism. ("those who make a public renunciation of all religion may be subsumed under this category [apostates].")

So, if you write to the parish that baptised you presenting evidence of any of the above, they should be able to take you off the books. (In the case of attacking the pope, you probably don't need to write)

As far as I know there was a blanket excommunication on members of the IRA in the 30's or 40's, me grand da got hit by that. though we snuck him back in for the funeral..would have loved to told the sky pilot that after we buried him..sucker:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The thread title says ''Are you 85% of you Christians?". In that case there were good odds that he was a Christian, not a Catholic. Yet, cornbb assumed that he was Catholic. I just thought that was rather amusing. Far
    be it from me to get in the way of criticism of the catholic church, though. Carry on.

I was stating the ()% based on the census. Nothing else.
    (Number of Catholics on census / (Number of people on census - those that stated No religion) x (100/1) = ( a lil over) 90%

Advertisement