Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargains to be had in Derry

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend same for a Republic traveller too impatient to queue in Enniskillen/Newry :eek: :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Well i rarely ever shop in Dublin anymore so i am not sure what would be a bargain but given the euro is up to 87p or thereabouts most everything will be a bargain :)

Good thing bout derry (i assume you meant city side?) is its so small there are a good handful of places all knitted together to go to so you will not get lost like.

Other then that i cant help you i have been doin all my shoppin online cos i have been dyin sick the last week/gettin uni work done/lazy backstard (delete as appropriate) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You're gonna hit queues in Derry as well at this time of year.

Sainsburys and Smyth's toy store are beside each other on the Strand Road. Tesco have to supermarkets and one express. The supermarkets are in the Quayside Shopping Centre and Lisnagelvin Shopping Centre. The express outlet is in the Crescent Link Retail Park along with Maplin, Argos, M & S Food, Homebase, Currys and PC World.

The Foyleside shopping centre has all the usual chains.

Derry doesn't have an ASDA but depending on where you're travelling from, you cold call in to ASDA in Strabane or Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

smashey wrote: »
    You're gonna hit queues in Derry as well at this time of year.

QUOTE]

I know with the queues etc -youll get them anywhere this time of year as you say, but at least you filter out the Republic element apart from the few hardy souls from Donegal etc. Certainly gets rid of Dublin based traffic. Even those avoiding Newry will go to Enniskillen

Thanks for all tips sofar. Other than stocking up on stuff, i have ambitions of grabbing a WII and a cheap SATNAV.

Argos do WII at £176 with WII Sports and a SATNAV (Binatone) for £68.50

If anyone sees/knows of better, please add

Obviously any other bargain hints are most welcome and come with my empty traveller-esque promise to pray for all your family and friends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try Xtravision for the Wii. They usually have a few deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"Game" would be another good place to look and maybe Zavvi who have a shop in the Foyleside centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And just to add if you have been reading the shopping in Northern Ireland thread you will see lots of bargains posted in it.

Someone also posted today in the bargain alerts forum about the savings on cigarettes in Dunnes. If you are a smoker its worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

HMV in the richmond centre, loads of discounts, got a few DVD box sets with 25 to 33% off

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Might have been mentioned elsewhere but Sainsburys are doing 24 cans of Guinness and I think other beers also for £16, loads of stock an hour ago. I think Tesco were doing a slightly better offer but all Guinness is sold out in Lisnagelvin

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I always used to look forward to getting the "Derry Journal" on the last Friday before Christmas and check out all the ads for bargains to be had for Christmas, especially in the off licenses, "Winemark", Frank Long,s etc. always waited to see who was doing Smirnoff at 9.99. Geuss what , nothing this week. What,s happening, only one offy ad for "Chill " and that,s only for miller or bud. Well you used to get a full page ad for currys and a good ad for Laser as well for all the electrical stuff but nothing this week. Have these businesses stopped advertising due to the recession or what? Very disappointed. Got a few bottles of Smirnoff in Supervalue, waterloo place, earlier this week at 9.99 but unfortunatley I have managed to drink these and will need to replenish stock for the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Well, thats Christmas 2008 out of the way then, I suppose at the minute anything bought from the major retailers in the north/derry could be considered a bargain for southern/freestate/budgen shoppers given that the euro has today reached 95.92 sterling. Some great value in Argos especially but good to reserve online first to make sure. There are now 3 outlets in derry/londonderry so plenty of stock here, good 10 megapixel samsung camera for 58 pounds approx. Sony 32inch lcd a bargain also. Pull the euros from under the matress and spend, spend, spend.
    Anyone notice that i havent mentioned alcohol in this post. It,s an early new year,s resolution but like all new years resolutions it probably wont last long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement