Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent withdrawals from my BOI account - what to do next?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a long post. Just wanna know where I stand and who I can complain to.

Last June I was in Spain. Came back to work on the Monday and got a phone call from my bank saying someone had taken 1900 out of my savings.

Bit of background: Our postbag was robbed from our postman in the middle of April. We received a letter from An Post letting us know but because it was mid month I didn’t think anything important was in it. I was wrong. My statement for my savings was in that bag and the people who took it made up a fake driving licence and walked into the bank and withdrew 900 + 1000 from my savings.

I reported it to the police and got my money back. So… I was told my account had a block on it and that no withdrawals were allowed take place on this account. There were notes on my account to state this.

Everything was fine until I checked my account yesterday and found my savings were down 1800 AGAIN! I rang the bank and they informed that it had happened again in a different branch.

I have since closed this account and was informed this morning that this person took another 800 yesterday while I was closing my account in a different branch. What I want to know is, where do I go to complain about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Title changed to something a little more descriptive - it'll help draw in more people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Title changed to something a little more descriptive - it'll help draw in more people :)

Perfect, i'm in such a tizzy at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Sorry to hear your misfortune Kiera - first stop is to the complaints department in the bank - they will have one. They have to solve your complaint within a specified timeframe and provide you with regular updates.

If you dont get satisfaction, take it to the Financial Regulator

Thanks homer.

Update: The guards just rang me to inform me that this person went in again today to try get more money. Obviously there was no such account anymore so they help on to the fake license.

The girl said she was going out to pay for the taxi and surprise surprise never came back. I cant believe the security didn't stop her the guards are also baffled as to why they didn't hold this girl??? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Thats a disgracefully poor level of service. I dont understand why you were'nt advised to close the account after the first theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

if some one gets statement he gets account number but how about signature? dont bank verify signature in their system? :eek:

The bank sent me copies of the lodgement slips and they didn’t have a signature. Sure the guard told me last night that the date of birth on the licence was 73. I was born in 79. So you’d think they would have copped it the five times this person came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The onus is on the bank needless to say and they will need to give you the money back. This happened to me before when my bank card was skimmed and someone had taken all the money out of my account in another county. I went to customer service of my own branch and they said "are you sure you weren't in galway and had taken all the money out". I was disgusted. I told the to check the cctv and get back to me. It took 2 months before i got my money back. I was penniless those 2 months and had to borrow money from friends. Didn't even get an apology from customer care for their comments on the day i went in. I felt like complaining about their service but couldn't have been arsed.

Advertisement