Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy with a Guitar

Options
  • 14-08-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

I'm sure most people have been through this scenario before.

You're at a party. Upbeat music playing, drinks flowing, good banter.

When some guy (it's never a girl) comes along, turns the music off, and starts strumming away on an acoustic guitar singing, in an oh so sensitive manner. Invariably Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, or some other equally depressing song.
    Instantly, the party's buzz is killed. Everyone silently listens to this guy, not wanting to seem like a prick, by continuing to talk over his solo performance.

When it's finally over, and music's put back on, the party never gets going again, everyone stays sitting around feeling melancholy. He's effectively killed the party.

Does anyone else hate this as much as I? It's a party, not a bohemian coffee shop. We can do without the music to slit wrists too.
    It's not even like it's a great way to attract girls. They may find it sweet, that you're so in touch with your emotions and able to display your sensitive side, but they're not gonna get wet patches in their jeans over you.
    I'm not condemning all guitar playing at parties. An upbeat singalong, at the right time, can be great fun. It's just the Damian Rice wannabes I have a problem with.
    Is anyone here this guy at parties? Any girls disagree with me and think sensitive= sexy? Post it here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

This never happens at the parties I go to. Bass pumpin all night is the only way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Well playing songs that have an upbeat melody is cool, but if some cnut took out a guitar and started playing Damien Rice I'd smack him, take the guitar, and **** it till the neck fell right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

FunkZ wrote: »
    and **** it till the neck fell right off.

**** it?

I know some girls who are like that. Bahdum tsssh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This has happened too many times. Guitarist cannot sing to save his life either. Sound guy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

**** it?

I know some girls who are like that. Bahdum tsssh!

Irish women can't **** well at all, but that's another threads issue I suppose.

**** is also used as a guitar term for playing fast, widdely diddely :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

FunkZ wrote: »
    Irish women can't **** well at all, but that's another threads issue I suppose.

**** is also used as a guitar term for playing fast, widdely diddely :cool:

This:

is guitar ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Don't forget the hissy fit he throws if anyone else tries to play a song after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

There's a lot of gob****es like that out there all right.

It's even worse when there is more than one guitarist and it turns into a fúcking competition of, "oh, see what I can play", or "can you play this". Eventually turning into a guitar to-ing and fro-ing from one guitarist to the next as they each try to outdo each other.

Cúnnnntttsssssss. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

nummnutts wrote: »
    There's a lot of gob****es like that out there all right.

It's even worse when there is more than one guitarist and it turns into a fúcking competition of, "oh, see what I can play", or "can you play this". Eventually turning into a guitar to-ing and fro-ing from one guitarist to the next as they each try to outdo each other.

like this?

(i'll stop now... the oppertunity was just too good to pass up)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

haha jealousy is cruel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is the only EVER appropriate response to those wanky party ruining acoustic twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

i love it when someone who can actually play does after a night out when everyones thrown around da place but other than that it wrecks my head! 1 of the lads in college with me plays glen hansards "falling slowly" at any chance he can before we head out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I fucking HATE those ****! :mad: One year in college, I lived with one of those tossers and he hauled out the guitar at almost every party and killed the buzz stone dead. We used to listen to him at first out of politeness and pity because he was a crap guitarist and he sounded so miserable when he was "singing".

After a few months, he wore out our patience and we used to leave the room when he started. He was oblivious to how depressing he was because he was basically a self-absorbed, attention-seeking wanker.

The best tactics for dealing with guitar gobshites are to either leave the room or ignore them and carry on as if they weren't there. Failing that, sell the guitar for drug money or fill the insides of it with faeces. It's for their own good in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I've done it loads of times. But only when there's a designated guitar room where people want to mellow out. I don't sing, I get people to sing or else I bring someone along who can sing.

Does be some hot chicks in these 'Guitar Rooms' :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

^ Likewise. But still it's towards the end of a party when ppl are tired and wanna chill out

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

bluto63 wrote: »
    ^ Likewise. But still it's towards the end of a party when ppl are tired and wanna chill out

You can believe that if it helps you sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

One of my friends tries to play after about an hour drinking, everyone is talking away and music on.. It pisses me all the way off. Usually everyone just stops talking and listens, sometimes I take the guitar off him if its in my place and he cant understand why.

Oh yeah, they always close their eyes because the music is coming from deep down within their soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

The worst I've done is grabbed an electric bass and played some disco funk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I play guitar and if I'm ever at a party where there's one lying about, my mates always want me to play. At first I didn't mind, then I realised that I was becoming one of those ****. And if I refused then people would just think I'm a dry sh1te, not wanting to entertain them.

So my solution was to learn a load of comedy songs by the likes of Stephen Lynch and Jonathon Coulton so I was at least entertaining. The more vulgar the songs, the more kudos you get. And it's really true that the girls will be hanging off you...and then once you put the guitar down they walk away like you're a piece of sh1t. You can't win :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What sort of parties do you people go to?

If someone even attempted to bring a guitar through the door of any party I was at there would be a coming together of said guitar-bringer's rectum and said guitar and they'd be exiting the premises fairly rapid.

What's wrong with getting mangled and talking to the furniture for 4 hours?

I don't know. The youth of today. Guitars at parties? I ask you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Is it just me or does that deliverance kid look a bit like a young Thom Yorke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Kavinsky wrote: »
    This never happens at the parties I go to. Bass pumpin all night is the only way to go!

with a name like Kavinsky you've gotta make sure to keep the bass pumpin all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

humanji wrote: »
    I play guitar and if I'm ever at a party where there's one lying about, my mates always want me to play. At first I didn't mind, then I realised that I was becoming one of those ****. And if I refused then people would just think I'm a dry sh1te, not wanting to entertain them.

So my solution was to learn a load of comedy songs by the likes of Stephen Lynch and Jonathon Coulton so I was at least entertaining. The more vulgar the songs, the more kudos you get. And it's really true that the girls will be hanging off you...and then once you put the guitar down they walk away like you're a piece of sh1t. You can't win :(

I know exactly what you mean. Many occasions I have had a party in my apartment and everyone is having a good time and someone tells me to get the guitar out cos I can play and sing fairly well. I realise it is knobish behaviour but they insist. It is a tough one. I suppose hiding the guitar may be the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's not like learning how to play the guitar is even difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One wanker playing and singing on his own with a hushed silence all around him = Fail

One lad belting out chords while 20 other people do all the singing = Great craic

I think that's the difference the OP was getting at. Don't think too many would disagree.

I rarely would play but if asked I will get others to do the singing for me so it doesn't turn into one of those bore fests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One wanker playing and singing on his own with a hushed silence all around him = Fail

One lad belting out chords while 20 other people do all the singing = Great craic

I agree... But a nice chilled out song can work sometimes at the end of the night when everyone just wants to chill... but not always, it definitely depends on what sort of crowd is there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally whenever i sing publically it will nearly always be some kind of upbeat number of a really decent song that everyone can sing along to.

Most of my mates are all musically minded, parties when i visit mates in Limerick are basically gigs!
    Xavi6 wrote: »

I agree in part, but it all depends on the situation. I guess it all depends on who you know as well. Often times people at parties don't like it when someone takes the attention of them....I find that pretty funny as well. You can see the dude in the corner throwing a hissy fit because the bird he was chatting up is suddenly interested in the dude with the guitar!

Plenty of parties i've been at have had that loan song moment and we always tear the house down afterwards.

Then again i'm lucky, plenty of my mates have serious talent for music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

boards is home to 136 of those eejits :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is anyone here this guy at parties?

Actually, I'm the opposite. One mate of mine used to be quite insistent that I play guitar at parties, even that we should bring our guitars (he played bass) and didn't quite get when I explained "It's a party, no one wants to listen to me play some song they've never heard".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

I hate pricks with guitars at parties more than anything, nothing kills the buzz worse.

Advertisement