Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Price Differences - Shed some light?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

With all the news floating around about the sterling-euro price differences........

I bought Arrested Development Season One in HMV for 16.99....all grand and good......a brilliant show.

However, I checked the HMV website and on it A.D Season One (the exact same product that I bought in HMV store) is £7.99 (Here: http://tinyurl.com/6kso2m) - current exchange rate is 1 UK£ = 1.25383636 €, so that would mean in Euro it costs €10.01......Why the extra charge of €6.98 ?

The other seasons are also €16.99 in store, and £9.99 online - equal to €12.52 (a difference of €4.47).

What are the "reasons" for this extra cost?

I have tried calling HMV more than once, only to be told "...the manager is not here at the moment..." or "...its shipping costs...".

What is the real 'reason' for this price difference? Any comments greatly appreciated.

-Ste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

let start with different vat rates...

then go on to you comparing an online shop with a physical one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

how much do they charge in the UK stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well, you could have bought it online from hmv.co.uk with a £2.50 delivery charge for £10.49, which works out at €13.22 at today's Visa exchange rate of 1.26.

But in fairness, it's a bit late shopping around after you buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

steo87 wrote: »
    What is the real 'reason' for this price difference? Any comments greatly appreciated.
    Firstly there are some extra charges here over the UK; staff costs, Vat differences, transport costs etc.

Another major reason is - it is a different market so the items are priced to the market i.e. what people are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I thought that the stuff from the HMV website was shipped from Jersey and so VAT is not payable on the goods.

High-street shops have to charge VAT which increases the price by 21%. Also, high-street shops have far higher costs than online retailers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

hmv.co.uk is based in Guernsey therefore it is not subject to the usual tax laws. You cannot compare the website with the UK highstreet never mind the Irish high street

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

If you think that is bad they were selling their HD-DVD's for around €40 which were about €8 delivered on their website.Check out the bargain alert forum regularly and save a fortune on dvd's,cd's etc. ,Play.com and ASDA deliver free to ireland. thehut.com only £1 delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mrs.ljungberg

How long do HMV usually take to deliver?
    I ordered a dvd boxset over a week ago and its status is completely shipped since last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

my twopence worth ,was in hmv last week enquired about buying season 1-2 of The Wire,was told about 40 euro each ,went home and went on line Amazon .com,ordered both for 40 euro on thursday and delivered on the following tuesday,,still waiting to hear from hmv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

spatchco wrote: »
    my twopence worth ,was in hmv last week enquired about buying season 1-2 of The Wire,was told about 40 euro each ,went home and went on line Amazon .com,ordered both for 40 euro on thursday and delivered on the following tuesday,,still waiting to hear from hmv

If you bought from Amazon.com, the DVDs are region 1 and are therefore not the same product. The studios charge different prices in different regions as they are entitled to do.

I don't know why people think that a product should cost the same the world over. The market in the US is far tougher than the European market as people in the US generally get paid a lot less than here and therefore have less disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

How long do HMV usually take to deliver?
    I ordered a dvd boxset over a week ago and its status is completely shipped since last Thursday

Well i got that Xfiles complete boxset,took 12 days to arrive and no tax was charged on it,it had a sticker oon it which said it was exempt from vat cos it was already payed so they do pay vat

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No point complaining to HMV and looking for managers, in fairness its your job as a consumer to shop around and find the best price before buying an item....learn from this experience and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I expect some items will cost less here too if you trawled through every item.

In fact...
    steo87 wrote: »
    The other seasons are also €16.99 in store, and £9.99 online - equal to €12.52 (a difference of €4.47).
    If you added on the postage, duty & VAT then that is cheaper to buy here. So why not ask the online store why this is the case!

You would not be liable to pay duty & VAT on that, but that is really since admin costs would be more than the amount collected, but if you bought 2 copies you are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

At least you didn't buy Arrested Development in Zavvi or Tower. You'd be paying €50 and €60 per season.

(Off the point slightly but I recently bought all 3 seasons and was shocked at the difference in price between the 3 stores.)

Advertisement