Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods

Options
  • 09-08-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

So the storm has the tolka breaking it's banks and making the N3 impassible,
    there was over 2 ft of water at St Perigns GAA club as the water from the park rolled out on to the road.

Took nearly an hour and taking 3 differnt routes to get from my mothers to home which is only a 10 mins drive.

Did anyone else get caught ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The road that leads onto mine is flooded, which kinda surprised me. As I'm on a cul de sac I'm housebound unless I want to walk, which isn't very appealing right now.

Cathooo mentioned in BGRH that the M50 is flooded too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've mentioned in other posts that I was in the centre earlier and could see how bad it got and made a run for it while everyone stood in the shelter of the entrances waiting for it to ease off. Even then the roads were pretty bad, I went through Mulhuddart which was fairly bad in spots and came across 2 cars that had already cut out in some of the larger 'puddles'. I imagine Mulhuddart village it under water now as it was already pretty bad at the shops around there then.
    I need to get to Tallaght and back later, it appears like it's going to be easy enough getting there, but getting back afterwards is the problem. I've been keeping an eye on the traffic cameras to see how the M50 is looking with the intention of coming back via the N2 but it's looking like there's long queues, or even at a standstill, from the N3 on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The aqua duct which has the canal on it is spilling over on to the m50, also the slip road is screwed.

Site0Camera89.jpg

What junction is that Thaedydal, it looks like it's down the Ballymun/Finglas end of things. The M50 camera is pointing at the N3 outbound at the moment so can't see how the M50 itself is looking at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

God it was the worse day ever. I was at a funeral most of the day and then went to eat at TGI's with my missus. The crazy rain started when we were in there and by the time we'd finished eating there were floods everywhere!

Several times we came to about 2 foot of water just outside the shopping centre and then in Hartstown and then along the Ongar road.

• Advertisement

That's actually Ballymun Thaed, here's the Blanchardstown roundabout

Site0Camera71.jpg

So much better, eh? :)

Zaph wrote: »
    The road that leads onto mine is flooded, which kinda surprised me. As I'm on a cul de sac I'm housebound unless I want to walk, which isn't very appealing right now.

That was the surprising part that that section of the hartstown horse shoe is flooded, it could be that with the new road gone in that there with out the green space to soak up the water it has no where to go.

opps wrong pic, thanks for posting the correct one Zaph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

there seems to be some closed roads here in Portmarnock too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

It took me nearly an hour to get home from the center, which is normally a 3/4 minute run home !! Madness..

My shot of the day!
    1000260bt1.jpg

HungryJoey wrote: »
    My shot of the day!
    1000260ty7.jpg

Jebus! Where's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It took me 2 hours to get home by bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jebus! Where's that?

Looks to me like Glenville? in coolmine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

goodness I was on that road at like 3 today and twas fairly dry! that's madness

Is mulhuddart flooded does anyone know?

Jaysus, they're fairly impressive pics EF ! What time was that at ? I went over the bridge further up at about 4:30/5 and took a look over and the inbound side was still fine but the outbound was starting to fill up. I wonder what the guy did in the truck when he came to the 206 ? It's probably bobbing up and down at the moment as the rain still hasn't let up around here.

Starpants, I went through Mulhddart just afterwards and it was flooded in several spots between the centre and the village, the first at the N3 junction, the next at the cottages and then a big one down at the village itself at the junction where the car wash is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I set out to DCU at 5:10 or so today, and got back around 8! Normally takes 30mins total. Passed through 8 or 9 floods, some very scary esp. around Collins Ave. Didnt dare try the river Road as it was bad enough this morning before the big outburst.

The worse bit was at the bottom of Violet Hill where a sewer was overflowing into the flood water - gross.
    think I might have to give the drive-in movie in the park a miss tonight :(

That was about 7pm this evening and its still lashing rain. There are loads of cars stuck there now and yeh some of the cars were bobbing around hitting off eachother as the truck passed. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Yeah absolute madness out there i picked my missus up in drumcondra at 5pm and got home at 7pm a 4 mile drive flooding around santry at the swiss cotttage impassible.Also couldnt believe how annoyed people were getting seen two fights and couple arguments....eh hello nobody can move.Which also made it worse was the armagh match in croke park with all them heading north the place was at a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

left blanch s.c. about 16.30, M&S was starting to flood at the back of the check outs where the emergence exit is as i was leaving the shop. then anyone and everyone that had a vehicle in the car park also bailed out of the S.C. basically a free for all to get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

My road this evening .... my daughter in the middle of it !!

DSCN5419.jpg

Me & herself put on our wellos and had a great hour !! Try it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

just got some cans and vodka for a mates in-house session, jumped into a taxi to get to tyrrelstown (sp?) and he said it's a no-go. this is from dublin 11, which isn't in the best of shapes either

• Advertisement

The garda have road closed sigs at the down ramp for the N3 at the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't know about out there, didn't even manage to get that far. I'm just talking about the road that goes from Cherryfield Lawn, (beside Hartstown SC) to the top of my road. I didn't even know it could flood!

You could be right about the new road though. All that green space that was taken away would have provided a fair bit of drainage.
    Zaph, if you brave the waters you'll see the manhole cover in the footpath on the corner outside the doctor's surgery has been lifted up by the water pressure! The water isn't soaking away it's surging out of the overwhelmed drains! I've never seen the road flood like that, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Jebus! Where's that?

Yeah, up by the back of glenville.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

murphaph wrote: »
    Zaph, if you brave the waters you'll see the manhole cover in the footpath on the corner outside the doctor's surgery has been lifted up by the water pressure! The water isn't soaking away it's surging out of the overwhelmed drains! I've never seen the road flood like that, have you?

i've seen that a fair bit today, which probably means it'll be a nightmare even after the rain has gone away

Just a quick update on the earlier pics. Water is still gushing out from the Tolka river onto the road and it is slowly rising. And dont forget, water is precious, lets conserve it! :D

Looks like there's plenty to spare there EF :D

Thanks for the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well I'm only here 4 years, but that's the first time I've ever seen Willow Wood Rise flooded. I was wondering where all the water was coming from because there always seemed to be decent drainage there. You must be just around the corner from me then?
    I'm on Cherryfield (for a few more days!) and I've been here 10 years and never seen anything like this before. Can't help but feel the Ongar Road has something to do with it. The green up there has been saturated many times since the road was built as water can't seem to get away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Don't know about out there, didn't even manage to get that far. I'm just talking about the road that goes from Cherryfield Lawn, (beside Hartstown SC) to the top of my road. I didn't even know it could flood!

I live on Cherryfield Lawn and I was amazed at the local flooding today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

EF wrote: »
    Just a quick update on the earlier pics. Water is still gushing out from the Tolka river onto the road and it is slowly rising. And dont forget, water is precious, lets conserve it! :D

Looks like that blue Peugeot just floated away!!!

• Advertisement

It has just moved over to the side of the road, thats it on the right hand side. A few trucks got through alright and all the cars were bobbing around like corks as they passed

Advertisement