Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oscarBravo's "infractions" and impartiality

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Brendan777 wrote: »
    I tired my best to have a discussion with both Oscar and Tim and all I recieved was abusive and childish PMs. Also my interest is not in winning people over, its in constructive political discussion. However, ive said this before nad I shall say it again, it seems to me that a lot of members of this forum (Oscar and Tim are prime examples) are more interested in point scoring than in learning, debating, discussing. It is rather frustrating when in the attempt to have a discussion a petty power hungry individual closes the thread and then proceeds to send condensending and abusive PMs to your inbox.

So Overheal if my descent into the language of the petty offended you I apologise. It was not my intention to offend.

However if anyone is interested in creating a mature thread where these issues can be discussed in a respectful and intelligent manner please let me know. I would be most interested in conversing is such an environment.

Regards

Brendan

Oscar bravo's style can come across as aggressive and bullying, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread. It does seem obvious that his brief responses to quite well thought out and lengthy posts, aggressively challenging the author on one point and ignoring the rest, amply demonstrates his lack of interest in the actual discussion and shows his preference for bullying and controlling and baiting guys.
    Overheal wrote: »
    maybe we should leave politics and all politic subfora unmoderated for a period of one week and see how it goes :rolleyes:

Brendan you almost won me until you used a term like "I kicked his ass" - its meant to be an engaging, intellectual debate, not a sparring match. this is not fox.

No one is suggesting that the politics forums should be unmoderated, but it would be great if they could be moderated by people who are not keyboard warriors and trolls who try to provoke contributors into intemperate responses.

Of course moderators are human, and none of us gets everything right all the time, but Obscr Bravo does seem to be unusually aggressive and bullying more than just occasionally. It is especially telling that he has not responded to the specific instances as outlined earlier in this thread, the hallmark of a bully to (i) accuse his victims of the very vice(s) of which he himself is guilty and (ii) to run away when challenged.

I myself do not contribute to the politics forums and consider them not places I want to contribute while they are moderated by such a rude, immature and biased moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

IRLConor wrote: »
    Well, I went back to check on the post and it has a yellow card beside it, not a red. Warning, not infraction.

He didn't call the poster a xenophobe. He called the poster's post xenophobic. The former would be attacking the poster, the latter attacking the post.

See the difference?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: PLEASE, PLEASE GO AWAY. I'm sure their's some other forum where you can find someone of similiar mind to yourself and you can both waffle on eternally about how long a length of string is etc, etc.

You were passing comment on my supposed attitude towards public transport* rather than dealing with the content of my posts.

It doesn't need to be abuse to be personal.

And again, you only got a warning, not even an infraction. It's the tiniest of tiny moderator actions. Why anyone would whine about it is beyond me.

* and being utterly wrong in the process too
    If it was such a tiny infraction then obviously oscarBravo shouldn't have bothered his butt giving one in the first place :rolleyes:.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: PLEASE, PLEASE GO AWAY. I'm sure their's some other forum where you can find someone of similiar mind to yourself and you can both waffle on eternally about how long a length of string is etc, etc.

Alternatively, you could leave. Or you could stay and abide by the rules. Either way, your choice. I'm staying though.
    If it was such a tiny infraction then obviously oscarBravo shouldn't have bothered his butt giving one in the first place :rolleyes:.

But then the poster wouldn't know that they're being told to behave. The warning mechanism is a useful way of having a proper record of that kind of thing.

It's also a useful record for other moderators to take into account if someone causes trouble in another forum.

Alternatively, you could leave. Or you could stay and abide by the rules. Either way, your choice. I'm staying though.

But then the poster wouldn't know that they're being told to behave. The warning mechanism is a useful way of having a proper record of that kind of thing.

It's also a useful record for other moderators to take into account if someone causes trouble in another forum.

PLEASE, PLEASE GO AWAY. I'm sure their's some other forum where you can find someone of similiar mind to yourself and you can both waffle on eternally about how long a length of string is etc, etc.

PLEASE, PLEASE GO AWAY.

Nope. Sorry, I'm not going to leave.
    I'm sure their's some other forum where you can find someone of similiar mind to yourself and you can both waffle on eternally about how long a length of string is etc, etc.

When did I do anything even remotely similar to waffling about the length of a string*? All I've done is explain the facts of boards.ie life. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

* Every programmer know that the answer is string.length() or length($string) or similar. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Am I alone in finding it ironic that SlabMurphy is trying to silence someone who disagrees with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Isn't that normally what the chuckies do ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    Isn't that normally what the chuckies do ;)

Accusation of being an Orangeman in 3.. 2.. 1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Am I alone in finding it ironic that SlabMurphy is trying to silence someone who disagrees with him?

Am I alone (note the heavy sarcasm) that OscarBravo blithely ignores any of the posters who question his abuse of power. Oh, would they bring back the double decker buses with conductors for him!

oscarBravo wrote: »

No not trying to silence him, just asked him to go away and find someone more interested in his type of discussion, arguin forever on how long a length of string is etc.

Now if I wanted to silence him I would have asked the mods to apply the tatics you misuse as a mod on politics. I would have asked the mods to start issuing infractions for any particulair reason they can think of in order to try and silence him. Failing that I would have asked them to ban him.
    jawlie wrote: »
    Am I alone (note the heavy sarcasm) that OscarBravo blithely ignores any of the posters who question his abuse of power. Oh, would they bring back the double decker buses with conductors for him!
    Yes indeed, it's indicative of him and his attitude. He hasn't posted for several pages back to refute or explain his actions but just comes on with a sarcastic one line comment. How such a personcan be seen to be fit to moderate a politics forum is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nah you'd be banned if ye did that. *mandatory wink smiley to soften sectarian jibe on back order*

gandalf wrote:
    Isn't that normally what the chuckies do
    YET AGAIN - " mods automatically agreeing with mods, "

:rolleyes: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bambi wrote: »
    Nah you'd be banned if ye did that. *mandatory wink smiley to soften sectarian jibe on back order*
    EXACTLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,808 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jawlie wrote: »

iirc this isnt the first Oscar Bravo thread we've had in feedback and while im not going to bother to right now having just been through the airsoft thing; youre welcome to read through and see if OB explained himself to your satisfaction in any of these threads:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055279187&highlight=oscar+bravo
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193614&highlight=oscar+bravo
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148331&highlight=oscar+bravo

mods in general: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055121460&highlight=oscar+bravo

I wager there are a few more but go figure.
    No one is suggesting that the politics forums should be unmoderated, but it would be great if they could be moderated by people who are not keyboard warriors and trolls who try to provoke contributors into intemperate responses.

Whew, leaves me out as a candidate so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Hmmm

OB does seem to dish out a disproportionally large number of bans and infractions alright.......

Yes indeed, it's indicative of him and his attitude. He hasn't posted for several pages back to refute or explain his actions but just comes on with a sarcastic one line comment. How such a personcan be seen to be fit to moderate a politics forum is beyond me.
    I'm sorry, I missed the bit where I'm required to explain my actions to you. I answer to the people who own this site. When they ask me to explain my actions, I explain them. When they ask me to do things differently, I do things differently.
    YET AGAIN - " mods automatically agreeing with mods, "
    Or, just maybe, another mod disagreeing with you.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Hmmm

OB does seem to dish out a disproportionally large number of bans and infractions alright.......
    .........so the mods not dishing out infractions arent doing their job?
    OB wrote:
    I'm sorry, I missed the bit where I'm required to explain my actions to you. I answer to the people who own this site. When they ask me to explain my actions, I explain them. When they ask me to do things differently, I do things differently.

Sadly for some he has a point :confused: somehow I wager Mr Bravo has appeared on the sysadmin radar a few times; since they havent de-modded him he must be doing something they approve of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Overheal wrote: »
    .........so the mods not dishing out infractions arent doing their job?

No, that's not what I'm inferring and you know it.

Perhaps OB is being too harsh with his infractions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hmmm

If you were a mod of Politics and wanted to keep it afloat, you would too.

No, that's not what I'm inferring and you know it.

Perhaps OB is being too harsh with his infractions

Or moderating a forum on Politics is more volatile than most? Lets face it: its Politics. One of the big 3 unspoken subjects (generic pub courtesy rule along with Religion and another im usually too drunk to recall) because lo and behold, it usually ends up in fights: shouting matches and the like. I once tried to have a discussion on american politics with an elderly man in a pub a couple years ago and he nearly decked me :rolleyes:

You could do a lot worse than the politics forum that OB caters for here at boards.ie: ever been to the pulse site recently? No better way to get my blood flowing for the gross amount of bullying and bias taking place there. Honestly: try out other websites just to get a feel for how crazy it is out there. In comparison boards is incredibly stable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Oscar bravo give out infractions simply because he disagrees with some peoples opinion's. It's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peeps should read oBs sig and take the hint.
    "I've always been like this, since I was young. I'm a truculent bigot, I revel in scum."

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

people should move on and get over it

berliner wrote: »
    Oscar bravo give out infractions simply because he disagrees with some peoples opinion's. It's ridiculous.
    I wondered when you'd show up here.

Yes, I infracted you just because I disagree with your opinions. The fact that your opinions are trolling and xenophobic don't enter into it.

how are people ever to work out their xenophobia though if they arent allowed to speak of it?

Counselling. Beats trolling any day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well, I think this thread is done.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Done to death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement