Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oscarBravo's "infractions" and impartiality

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

roflbrothel.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I would also add that OB is not fit to moderate. He labelled me as Xenophobic and a terrorist supporter, when I am neither of which. I addressed him in a private message to discuss it and avoid cluttering the thread, and all he had to say is that he didn't want to talk about it. He is a moderator and if he makes such accusations, then he should at least allow me to discuss it with him.

I've been attacked by him and had cheap remarks thrown at me by Moriarty over the time. I don't bother myself with it anymore, and I'm not going to both with the politics forum over there - because when my opinion is not valid, unless it agrees with their opinions.

The fact that a poster is ridiculed for highlighting poor and biased moderation is a clear level of the maturing of the boards.ie moderation team. While many moderators are very cool, some let it go to their heads and do not abide by the same rules that they hand out infractions for.

Moriarty gave me an infraction stating that I insulted someone, I checked the post and there was not one insult in it. It also seems to be in Republican related threads. But yet, I have no doubt he was not issued an infraction for a clear insult to me labelling me as a terrorist supporter.

I've posted on here long enough to see how moderation works on here. I'd like fair and balanced moderation, but that's just not possible with people like OB and Moriarty around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's all well and good dlofnep but if you expect us to make up our own minds you should provide links.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Why does everything bad happen to Sinn Fein?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dlofnep wrote: »
    He labelled me as Xenophobic and a terrorist supporter, when I am neither of which.
    I did not.

• Advertisement

It's in the Ireland in the UK thread in politics. I was originally attacked by Moriarty in an attempt to gode me into a flame war. And it ensued from there. I opted out of the thread because OB tried to derail the original topic, as did Moriarty with cheap pops.

The_Minister - I expect fair moderation to everyone on here, regardless of the political party that they support.

I'm not going to continue to discuss this as I already know full well where it will go. I'll save my political opinions for a more open-minded forum, and stick to banter in other forums on here.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I did not.

Yes, you did. You stated I was Xenophobic and that I was defending the IRA. I did not defend the IRA. I outlined that the deaths caused by them was disgusting, but you refused to take it onboard, and tried to veer off on your own agenda, despite me stating quite blankly that it was disgusting. In an attempt to contrast the differences between point blank shooting someone, and children dieing in a bomb attack - you then labelled me as defending the IRA - when it's quite abundantly clear that I do not support an armed campaign. And anyone that knows me on any of the other Republican forums know that I am quite vocal about my stance on it - but yet you continued to state that I was defending them in the most ignorant manner and refused to even begin to try and understand anything I was saying.

You're not fit for moderation OB as you cannot fufil your position in an unbiased manner. I'm not going to discuss this further with you, because you'll launch a personal attack on me yet again and I'm not in the mood to continue entertaining attack on Republicans. Why is it that every single Republican I speak to about boards.ie mentions your name OB? I can't be the only one on here that feels they are being singled out by you. There's no smoke without fire. You dislike Republicans and it shows in your moderating.

Yes, you did. You stated I was Xenophobic...
    No, I said that what you said was xenophobic. I stand over that.
    ...and that I was defending the IRA. I did not defend the IRA. I outlined that the deaths caused by them was disgusting...
    ...and then qualified that by saying that you were sure they hadn't actually intended to cause those deaths.
    You're not fit for moderation OB as you cannot fufil your position in an unbiased manner. I'm not going to discuss this further with you, because you'll launch a personal attack on me yet again and I'm not in the mood to continue entertaining attack on Republicans.
    I didn't launch a personal attack, and I'm not doing it now. If you dislike having your opinions criticised, you're in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

You didn't label him directly as supporting terrorists or being xenophobic You mentioned that he had made a xenophobic rant (which he had).

And I think it's Moriarty who mentioned him being a terrorist sympathiser (which is far from being a terrorist supporter).

Spot on moderating from what I've just read. All statements made by OB and Moriarty were accurate.

The politics forum is always going to have a few people complaining about moderators due to the nature of the forum, but I haven't seen anything that warrants anyone's dismissal as Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Links or it didn't happen

• Advertisement

No, I said that what you said was xenophobic.

So if someone makes a racial slur against someone, you would not call them racist? You labelled me as a Xenophobe. Stop fiddling around the semantics of it. You are incorrect and it was a blatant lie.
    I stand over that. ...and then qualified that by saying that you were sure they hadn't actually intended to cause those deaths.

Which would be an accurate statement. And it's not defending them. Defending them would be stating that it was ok to plant bombs because Britain occupies Ireland. I was analyzing the contrast between that attack and Bloody Sunday, which are two seperate and different scenarios. I wasn't contrasting to defend the IRA, but rather to outline how repulsive Britains attacks on the civilians of Derry was. But you are too close-minded to take it on board. I couldn't give a toss about the IRA and I don't believe for one moment that armed struggle will ever achieve anything positive in this world.
    I didn't launch a personal attack, and I'm not doing it now. If you dislike having your opinions criticised, you're in the wrong place.

Yes you did. Deny it all you want. You have an agenda against Republicans. I'm not the only one to say it. There is no smoke without fire. You have a clear agenda against us and use your moderation weight at any given cost to warn us, or bully us around in posts threatening to ban us for voicing our opinions - and when we challenge whatever you have labelled us as, you refuse to discuss it or even try to begin to take onboard anything logical we are saying.

I stand by my original point. You're not fit for moderation and neither is Moriarty.

I've never else to add to this discussion. I've said all I need to say. I've no doubt if I continue to voice my opinion, I'll receive a ban-hammer for it. OB, man up and absorb various complaints made against you, instead of going into defensive mode.

You didn't label him directly as supporting terrorists or being xenophobic You mentioned that he had made a xenophobic rant (which he had).

It was not a Xenophobic rant. I had explained it was nothing against the British people, but against the British Government's policies. Slightly exagerated? Perhaps, but the original point had many valid points and I stand by them. It was far from Xenophobic if you read the full context of the post.
    And I think it's Moriarty who mentioned him being a terrorist sympathiser (which is far from being a terrorist supporter).

I am not a terrorist sympathiser. It was a cheap pop at me and totally unprovoked in an attempt to start a flame war and use it as an excuse to attack Republicans. When someone starts these cheap pops, then people are going to respond to it. It was immature and unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

So if someone makes a racial slur against someone, you would not call them racist? You labelled me as a Xenophobe. Stop fiddling around the semantics of it. You are incorrect and it was a blatant lie.

I've said a lot of stupid things over the years. I would hope that does not mean I am stupid.

javaboy wrote: »
    I've said a lot of stupid things over the years. I would hope that does not mean I am stupid.

System.out.println("Certainly not.");

You're not fit for moderation and neither is Moriarty.
    Now that's a personal attack.
    I've never else to add to this discussion. I've said all I need to say.
    You've said that three times already in this thread.
    I've no doubt if I continue to voice my opinion, I'll receive a ban-hammer for it. OB, man up and absorb various complaints made against you, instead of going into defensive mode.
    Pot, kettle.

Now that's a personal attack.

No it's not. It's an assessment.

It was not a Xenophobic rant. I had explained it was nothing against the British people, but against the British Government's policies. Slightly exagerated? Perhaps, but the original point had many valid points and I stand by them. It was far from Xenophobic if you read the full context of the post.

I am not a terrorist sympathiser. It was a cheap pop at me and totally unprovoked in an attempt to start a flame war and use it as an excuse to attack Republicans. When someone starts these cheap pops, then people are going to respond to it. It was immature and unwarranted.
    Whether the two mods were trying to provoke you or not isn't the issue.

Looking at their statements based on what you said, they were spot on.
    It is xenophobic. You generalised all of Britain as aggressive and unwilling to accept people that don't agree with them. Labelling an entire nation as anything negative is xenophobic.
    You were defending terrorists by stating that they hadn't intended on killing kids or something, which is indirectly defending their overall actions.

I'm going around in circles here Ronny. I'm not going to repeat myself. I wasn't defending them. And I wasn't attack the British people, or Britain as a nation. I was attacking Britains policies. If you read them in the context they were placed, instead of considering it a hate-filled rant, then you'd see it wasn't Xenophobic as I have nothing against the British people - but rather it's foreign policies. The same way I don't like the US for it's foreign policies, and many others have stated similar statements - but they aren't Xenophobic either, because it's not a sleight against the American people.

The issue at hand here is the moderation, and for a moderator to try and provoke you into a flame-war is immature, and then for another moderator to label you as something, but then refuse to discuss it with you in private saying that they aren't bothered is not what I consider fair and balanced moderation.

No it's not. It's an assessment.
    So when you say something directly detrimental about me, it's an assessment, but when I say something you disagree with about something you said, that's a personal attack?

I wasn't defending them.
    You know, you only have to say it twenty more times for it to magically become true.
    And I wasn't attack the British people, or Britain as a nation.
    No?
    Democracy? Don't make me laugh. Democracy is only useful to Britain when it suits them. And when it doesn't? They shoot and kill anything that opposes their judgment.
    How could I possibly have considered that xenophobic? It's positively warm and fuzzy.
    I was attacking Britains policies. If you read them in the context they were placed, instead of considering it a hate-filled rant, then you'd see it wasn't Xenophobic as I have nothing against the British people - but rather it's foreign policies.
    It's not only xenophobic, it's irrational and stupid.
    The issue at hand here is the moderation, and for a moderator to try and provoke you into a flame-war is immature, and then for another moderator to label you as something, but then refuse to discuss it with you in private saying that they aren't bothered is not what I consider fair and balanced moderation.
    I disagreed with you. I think your opinions are unhinged and reprehensible, and said so plainly. Why should I have to get into a PM conversation about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

In all honesty, no matter how much anyone hates oB's attitude in the politics forum, it would be seriously fúcked without him having the behavior that he has.

Yes, he hands out infractions(including one to me), but it's better than letting the politics forum go to shít which is exactly where its going without him.

I don't know which forum in particular you are talking about, but by the long replies, and heavy english language being used, I presume it's the politics forum?

We're not getting anywhere lads.

Agree to disagree, kiss and make up and everything will all work out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,812 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its the Nazi-Baby right? It gets under your skin? Is that why you don't like him?

Im not a particular fan but I didnt see anything wrong with the Xenophobic correction: the comment about Britain merited it.

Feelin' the love here, folks. Feelin' the love.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,812 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Feelin' the love here, folks. Feelin' the love.

Well I think you're great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

Hard to know whether to post a lolcat or not now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Simplicity wrote: »
    Hard to know whether to post a lolcat or not now :/

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i_love_you-1939.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ctrlaltdelete128514164947343750.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement