Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oscarBravo's "infractions" and impartiality

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well OB one might wonder sometimes.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

DeVore wrote: »
    They are warnings of unacceptible behaviour. I would have thought they have fairly clear labels. They are lesser rebukes then a ban and more obvious to the user then a post on a thread that they have just behaved unacceptibly.

They also will auto ban a user who accumulates 10 of them in a short (~days) space of time. This allows a consensus of mods to ban a user if there isnt an SMod/Admin around, in cases of fairly serious emergency. I dont believe this has happened yet.

There is no appeals process because they simply dont have much of a consequence.

DeV.

so now officially you are saying mods can never be wrong.

for example i got an infraction for insulting another member when i said somebody 'wasn't very public minded' when he gave out about buses. i mean wtf?

they should be detailed faq on them on the boards.ie site itself and linked in an obvious place. infact a site wide sticky should be put up explaining what infractions are to reintroduce them so people know what the hell they are.

do they have different points levels ?

ans still no way of users to bring complaints against mods and be treated seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Bambi wrote: »
    I have a problem with this approach to moderation
    Hmm. I have to say I was very much surprised when I saw oB's posts in that thread, I've never seen anything like it in any other forum. The mod in question seemed to lead in with complaints about the user not replying to his posts, and then treating the apparently polite and civil responses very shortly indeed, before hinting heavily that the user might be sitebanned.

I wouldn't mind so much but I found the user's posts very interesting and informative, as well as on-topic. As anyone who knows my posts on boards will testify, I've no fear of "vigorous" discussion, but I'm not attempting such here. I was honestly taken aback, if I was that user I would have felt frankly intimidated.

What were the names of the four other user accounts this user was banned under?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hmm. I have to say I was very much surprised when I saw oB's posts in that thread, I've never seen anything like it in any other forum. The mod in question seemed to lead in with complaints about the user not replying to his posts, and then treating the apparently polite and civil responses very shortly indeed, before hinting heavily that the user might be sitebanned.

I wouldn't mind so much but I found the user's posts very interesting and informative, as well as on-topic. As anyone who knows my posts on boards will testify, I've no fear of "vigorous" discussion, but I'm not attempting such here. I was honestly taken aback, if I was that user I would have felt frankly intimidated.

What were the names of the four other user accounts this user was banned under?
    Is it me, or are skins around here getting incredibly thin?

First, this thread is started to complain about the permanent psychological scars I've inflicted by having the nerve to actually wield the blunt-force instrument of an infraction on someone. Dubya's invasion of Iraq pales into insignificance by comparison.

But wait: it gets worse. Not content with my massacre of innocent bystanders with depleted uranium infractions, I was actually short in my replies to someone. The humanity!

De-modded? I should be locked up for life. Won't someone think of the children?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I was actually short in my replies to someone. The humanity!
    That and the whole belabouring them about the head and face with suspicions of their eligibility for a siteban. I mean seriously, ban them and have done with it, or take it to PM, don't use it as an instrument to shut them up, especially when they actually seem to be contributing.
    De-modded? I should be locked up for life. Won't someone think of the children?
    In fairness, I didn't say anything about demodding. I'm a relative newcomer to politics, so I'm not sure how things roll over there yet, I've just never seen anything like that in the other forums I frequently hang around in (Property, Galway, AH, stammering, zombies and feedback). Once again, I'm not looking for conflict, if thats how things go in Politics, then thats the way it is - posters don't set the rules, they just play the game.

• Advertisement

I agree with you that I should have just banned him.

I agree with you that I should have just banned him.
    Do you recall any of the usernames he was previously banned under, I wouldn't mind having a gander at them?

Yes, I remember them all, and when you're an admin or an S-mod I'll give you the information you need to second-guess my moderating.

I notice my irony was lost on you.

Yes, I remember them all, and when you're an admin or an S-mod I'll give you the information you need to second-guess my moderating.
    And what a day that will be. Although given that I'll be withdrawing the phenomenally addictive yet flavourless narcotics that I've been lacing DeVore's weetabix with tomorrow evening, I'll talk to you on Tuesday. Until then, our nameless soap box orators shall have to remain so.
    I notice my irony was lost on you.
    No, I just wanted to see if I'd get sitebanned for ignoring part of your post. :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have a limited amount of time in my day that I can investigate sh*t. If the OP is getting infracted all the time and it lead to him being banned I would look but frankly, if I investigated every infraction I'd never sleep. So I wont and since the op isnt banned I guess he hasnt been infracted too often for his delicate soul.

This thread has 24 hours to live.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I,m relativly new to boards(which I love btw)and having viewed a lot of feedback it seems to me the op has a reasonable point and instead of addressing this dev has basically said f.u and supported the mod even though to most unbiased opinion he was in the wrong.I would bet that if the op was as snotty as the mod that sort of behavior would not be tolerated.We all know its not a democracy but how about a sense of fair play.

paddybar You may want to check out the likes of thumped or p45rant quite soon.

Mike.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

paddybar wrote: »
    I,m relativly new to boards(which I love btw)and having viewed a lot of feedback it seems to me the op has a reasonable point and instead of addressing this dev has basically said f.u and supported the mod even though to most unbiased opinion he was in the wrong.I would bet that if the op was as snotty as the mod that sort of behavior would not be tolerated.We all know its not a democracy but how about a sense of fair play.
    I'm sorry, I must have explained myself badly or you may not have read my previous posts on this thread.

I have already reviewed and consider this case and I support the mod in this case.

The conversation moved onto infractions in general when I was asked to explain them and I made a flippant comment about stopping people complaining about being infracted (which is pretty much the same as the Mod posting directly after the user in the thread, except that its traceable by other mods, its slightly more private and a bunch of them in a short time gets the user site banned until its reviewed by an admin).

So, I then explained WHY I wont be investigating one off infractions (which I wont). I will investigate any abuse of the infraction system but clearly, and despite the OP's assertions to the contrary, that isnt the case here.

By all means consider other sites, with other methods of Moderation. They are many and varied and will suit some people better then here, but don't arrive in May, and suddenly accuse me of bias mate. You dont know me from Adam.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

They are warnings of unacceptible behaviour. I would have thought they have fairly clear labels. They are lesser rebukes then a ban and more obvious to the user then a post on a thread that they have just behaved unacceptibly.

They also will auto ban a user who accumulates 10 of them in a short (~days) space of time. This allows a consensus of mods to ban a user if there isnt an SMod/Admin around, in cases of fairly serious emergency. I dont believe this has happened yet.

There is no appeals process because they simply dont have much of a consequence.

DeV.

I would say they are there to keep a record more than anything else. If it comes to deciding ban or not to ban the record is there for all the infractions recieved. And +1, they are not a ban.

It would be more of a worry if the OP was banned for the ''offences'' and ''Naughtyness''.

I have a limited amount of time in my day that I can investigate sh*t. If the OP is getting infracted all the time and it lead to him being banned I would look but frankly, if I investigated every infraction I'd never sleep. So I wont and since the op isnt banned I guess he hasnt been infracted too often for his delicate soul.

This thread has 24 hours to live.

DeV.

wouldn't explaining boards.ie infractions in general save you a lot of time if that your only concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Infractions serve an important purpose in keeping track of troublemakers.

I see it as a simple process

Red card infraction with a ban.

Yellow card with a warning.

They certainly help me decide if someone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry, I must have explained myself badly or you may not have read my previous posts on this thread.

I have already reviewed and consider this case and I support the mod in this case.

The conversation moved onto infractions in general when I was asked to explain them and I made a flippant comment about stopping people complaining about being infracted (which is pretty much the same as the Mod posting directly after the user in the thread, except that its traceable by other mods, its slightly more private and a bunch of them in a short time gets the user site banned until its reviewed by an admin).

So, I then explained WHY I wont be investigating one off infractions (which I wont). I will investigate any abuse of the infraction system but clearly, and despite the OP's assertions to the contrary, that isnt the case here.

By all means consider other sites, with other methods of Moderation. They are many and varied and will suit some people better then here, but don't arrive in May, and suddenly accuse me of bias mate. You dont know me from Adam.

DeV.

A fair point.I did come in late on this but my comments were shaped by ob's snide (it seemed to me)attitude towards simplesam making a reasonable point in a reasonable manner.having re-read the whole post (and realising who you are*trembles in fear from your almighty wrath*)I shall now slink away and have myself flogged by midgets in bikini's using live haddock

;) Learning quickly.

Mike.

Midgets in kilts pls.

DeV.
    ps: LostExpectation, I DID explain them , on this thread. Read back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thread locked soon hopefully :)

• Advertisement

Midgets in kilts pls.

DeV.

as You speak it,so shall it be O Almighty One

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

paddybar wrote: »
    as You speak it,so shall it be O Almighty One

Lickass.

:D
    /runs

SteveC wrote: »
    Lickass.

:D
    /runs
    when I come out of hiding(after the plastic surgery)I'll get you for that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lolcano.gif

Murphy's Corollary to Godwin's Law: As a thread tends towards lolcats, its value tends towards zero.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Murphy's Corollary to Godwin's Law: As a thread tends towards lolcats, its value tends towards zero.

DeV.
    don't kill the thread yet, still four and a half hours left to live.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

nevf wrote: »
    don't kill the thread yet, still four and a half hours left to live.:pac:

It would be a mercy killing imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DeV.

I'd better up the standard of this thread fast!

roflcopter.gif

Midgets in kilts pls.

DeV.

yes in this thread but you need to put a detailed explanation where its easily found.

--

so infractions can lead to bans but you can't appeal them.

so again mods can never be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

All that there is left now for this thread is pics.

1209094312077.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement