Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Stream / Azores High

Options
  • 08-07-2008 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Just read in another forum post that this year's 'jet stream' is as far North as last years, which is feeding the present bad weather. I think I may have asked this very question last year (but the forum doesn't go back far enough to search): how do you find out where the jet stream is at the moment, and its forecast movement for the rest of the summer? I'm guessing this would be very useful to gauge the picture at large regarding our miserable summer weather.... I know the Azores High is totally unrelated but I hear it's another big factor in our summer weather...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hi,
    Just read in another forum post that this year's 'jet stream' is as far North as last years, which is feeding the present bad weather. I think I may have asked this very question last year (but the forum doesn't go back far enough to search):
    Go to the end of the main page on this forum and see the area where it says show threads from a certain peroid. That will bring up threads from when you like. Or the other option is to use the search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The jet stream is as far south as last year and the relationship between it and the Azores high is vital with respect to an Irish summer.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

mike65 wrote: »
    The jet stream is as far south as last year and the relationship between it and the Azores high is vital with respect to an Irish summer.

Mike.

Bang on! I've seen the stats and it is a carbon copy of last year with the jet stream so far South however there is no La Nina to blame this year though, one caveat...the jet stream hasn't split....yet....but Hurricane Bertha could cause an upset there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I am not convinced that it is anything like last year to be honest. It may be just as wet, but the pattern is not the same. This time last year was also slightly warmer at this point. The postioning of the jet at any point of the year depends on nothing else other than its own spontaneity. I do find amusing the fact that forecaster's on tv and radio in both this country and Britain have been saying that temperatures this summer have been "disappointing" because they have been more or less average; yet, they work for the same organisations that are scaremongering the public about global warming, or climate change as it is known now. I am genuinely confused by the contradiction. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Big Tone wrote: »
    Bang on! I've seen the stats and it is a carbon copy of last year with the jet stream so far South however there is no La Nina to blame this year though, one caveat...the jet stream hasn't split....yet....but Hurricane Bertha could cause an upset there!

What happens if it splits?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yup, Bertha will hit the jetstream, then Berta is pushed north & east till it hits landfall.

As usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Just had a look at the models(GFS) and my observation was...

At 174hrs low pressure off the east coast of the U.S (remnants of bertha??) travels up past nova scotia and east toward iceland (288hrs) and then on to scandinavia at 336 hours. This allows pressure to build over us at the end of the run and hopefully will be the end of this pattern we're currently stuck in and we can get barbecues out.

Hopefully it plays out like that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly the charts I consulted suggested no real break :(

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 danielcork1

thanks to everyone esp. mike65 for the replies and for that link. Just looking at the 300mb jetstream chart, it looks to be bang over Ireland at the moment. I'm guessing that this is bad!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement