Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

sooty11 wrote: »
    Is it not leaving from the International Hotel Saturday morning??
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net/
    Oops, you're right. Then it's even closer for TinyExplosions, blorg and penexpers. It's right on the "roundabout" where the jaunting carts halt.

Strange location as I don't think there is much/any parking and it's not a great spot for a bunch of cyclists to congregate.

Map: http://www.killarneyinternational.com/location.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

ya its just across from the cinema.

it seems a crazy place to start from...as there is no where for everyone to gather with the bikes and all....:confused:
    they are expecting 1500 cyclists this year!

where did it leave from last year?

sooty11 wrote: »
    where did it leave from last year?
    Gleneagle Hotel, hence my mentioning it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

daymobrew wrote: »
    There is a party for my father-in-law and niece in the afternoon.
    Can we come too?

penexpers wrote: »
    I'm probably going to head down on the 1830 on Friday now and get the 1750 back on Saturday.
    I predict that you'll have plenty of empty seats around you on the return leg anyway :D Where's the 'holds nose' emoticon when you need it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Weather is going to be very wet and windy according to met.ie. Hope yiz all have mud guards.

Actually what do you wear to keep the legs dry? I have a pair of waterproof trousers but they are more suited to wearing over other trousers.

Actually what do you wear to keep the legs dry?
    Cycling shorts - my legs don't absorb water but tights do.
    I might bring overshoes. My sleevless water/wind proof gilet was brilliant last year for the frequent short showers I encountered.

If the temp is good then a little rain isn't a big deal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd be the same. I don't really care about getting wet since you dry off in no time once it stops. Warmth is my main concern. For bad weather in the summer months I'd usually use arm warmers and sometimes knee warmers. If it's an absolutely terrible day, I'd wear a long sleeve base layer underneath my jersey. I wear lycra overshoes too, but that's to keep my shoes clean rather than dry.

problem is with the kerry weather is that it could be pouring rain and blowing a gale in killarney and by the time you get to cahersiveen you would want to be putting on the sunscreen...it is so unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sw2

hi,
    a friend and i are thinking of doing the ROK this saturday but she doesn't think she'll make the whole thing. Does anybody know about lifts back to Kllarney if you don't finish the route? Also does anybody know what direction is goes in? Kenmare first or last?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

sw2 wrote: »
    hi,
    a friend and i are thinking of doing the ROK this saturday but she doesn't think she'll make the whole thing. Does anybody know about lifts back to Kllarney if you don't finish the route? Also does anybody know what direction is goes in? Kenmare first or last?
    cheers

Kemnare is last

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

sw2 wrote: »
    Does anybody know about lifts back to Kllarney if you don't finish the route?

Haven't read anything about there being a broom wagon, so you might be out of luck on that one.

There was one last year? (According to the thread I just read on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

just booked neptune's hostel through hostelworld.com. anyone else?

8 person dorm :( but very cheap :). friday i probably won't sleep much anyway, and saturday, after a long cycle, a big feed, and several beverages, i'd be able to sleep upside down in a wheelie bin if necessary. but a bed is better for my back.

niceonetom wrote: »
    ...i'd be able to sleep upside down in a wheelie bin if necessary. but a bed is better for my back.

You know you're now asking to get left in a wheelie bin by a gang of drunken boardsies?

Anyone know what the deal with the sponsorship money is - do we need to give it in at the start or how does it work? i.e. should I go pestering people for sponsorship now, or wait until I have actually completed the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

A couple of things for people doing the ring of Kerry,
    The ROK is starting at the international hotel. There is not much traffic at that time of the morning so cyclist just mingle in the area between the international, Cinema and East avenue hotel.
    If you have your sponsership with you, they will take it off u at registration. Otherwise you can post it back / hand it back, etc.
    It is always a fairly leisurly spin out to Killorglan, dunno after that as i take it handy all the way.
    Im not sure, but i think there might be parking arrangements out by the Gleneagle, this has ofter led people into thinking the start is at the Gleneagle. I missed last years ROK so I dunno where it started from.
    There is plenty of Taxi's in Killarney, main Taxi rank is on College St. near Scruffys pub.
    Plenty of broom wagons, used one myself going up Coomnakista in a storm 3 years ago.
    If the weather turns nasty, its gonna be nasty and god help us all.
    Hope ye like sandwiches, there will be a mountain of them to eat.
    Food stop in Caherciveen is at the far end of the town in the community school, Caherciveen is a long town when ur tired.
    Food stop in Kenmare is in the Community school also, Kenmare town involves a 1Km turn off the ROK road, u will be coming back the same bit of road.

This is lifted from the Met eireann website

Saturday will bring overcast weather with widespread and locally heavy rain country-wide. Saturday will also be cold, with afternoon temperatures in the low to mid teens in a strong northeast wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

kenmc wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal with the sponsorship money is - do we need to give it in at the start or how does it work? i.e. should I go pestering people for sponsorship now, or wait until I have actually completed the thing.

Well ... if I look at the example of the school kids knocking on my door for sponsorship, you usually ask for the cash before the event. I'll give you 20p :D

i was told by my charity (enable ireland) to bring the card with me on the day for entrance into schools for food...but not to bring the money. keep the card and send it on with the money a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Beached wrote: »
    This is lifted from the Met eireann website

Saturday will bring overcast weather with widespread and locally heavy rain country-wide. Saturday will also be cold, with afternoon temperatures in the low to mid teens in a strong northeast wind

I think the weather is going to be glorious, simply because I bought waterproof overshoes and arm warmers yesterday, and will probably get leg warmers tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

Another thing. Might be a good idea for a few of us to exchange mobile numbers. Be good for meeting up on the morning and also for organising beers that night.

Ah thanks tiny, knew we could count on you!
    My forecast-fox thingy tells me to expect
    "Breezy with periods of rain, 13oC, Wind SW 22km/h (gust 61km/h :eek:)"
    whereas wunderground (valentia) is saying
    "Rain. High: 15° C. Wind NNW 43 km/h. Chance of precipitation 70%. "

Isn't it funny how 3 sites can have 3 different wind direction forecasts - they all agree that it's going to be wet and windy though :( i just hope that they're all correct with the direction at the appropriate time!

Beached wrote: »
    It is always a fairly leisurly spin out to Killorglan, dunno after that as i take it handy all the way.

.snip.

Hope ye like sandwiches, there will be a mountain of them to eat.
    Food stop in Caherciveen is at the far end of the town in the community school, Caherciveen is a long town when ur tired.
    Food stop in Kenmare is in the Community school also, Kenmare town involves a 1Km turn off the ROK road, u will be coming back the same bit of road.
    The website says to return cash and cards to Denis Geaney in Agahdoe (bottom right of page).

There was a small food stop outside Sneem Hotel last year. Was easy to miss. They are having a food stop there this year (I just rang them) but they don't have full details yet. Nice short steep hill into the place. IIRC they had carpet leading from the front door to the toilets - a godsend to those of us in cleats.

I found that the group broke up at Killorglin as many stopped. It broke up even more in Glenbeigh as more stopped again.

kenmc wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how 3 sites can have 3 different wind direction forecasts - they all agree that it's going to be wet and windy though :( i just hope that they're all correct with the direction at the appropriate time!
    It's a bit early for a good forecast - best to check the sites again on Friday afternoon or evening. I'll be glued to the forecast on RTE after Friday's 9 o'clock news or maybe Radio Kerry for a local perspective.

ya go for the kerry radio forecast as they would get it from the valentia obseravtory.
    met eireann just give a munster forecast....which isnt any good.
    seriously though be prepared for rain/wind and sun! cause as i said before it could be pouring rain in killarney and the sun could be shining in waterville...the weather in mid kerry and s/w kerry is rarely the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

daymobrew wrote: »
    It's a bit early for a good forecast - best to check the sites again on Friday afternoon or evening. I'll be glued to the forecast on RTE after Friday's 9 o'clock news or maybe Radio Kerry for a local perspective.

The funny thing is, that after the best part of 31 years living in South Kerry, I have learned that the wind comes from the west, and will always come from the west. And once you go over coomnakista, you should have the wind at your back*.

*Subject to indignant correction on the monday after the cycle

Crap I've just broken my front mudguard. Damn thing came off and got caught in the wheel. Wonder can I repair it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Crap I've just broken my front mudguard. Damn thing came off and got caught in the wheel. Wonder can I repair it....

Take the damn thing off!!! Mudguards are for girls !!!

Take the damn thing off!!! Mudguards are for girls !!!

There. It had to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

plus 1 ha ha.. sissy

Advertisement