Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for a sticky ... or advice threads ... Packing Lists

Options
  • 09-05-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking that a good idea for a sticky might be a packing list guide ... i.e. checklist of what to bring and why under different circumstances, list of circumstance is wide but could include the likes of -

Sport - Field Sports
    Sport - Indoor
    Portrait - Outdoor
    Portrait - Indoor
    Travel - Long trips (RTW etc)
    Travel - Cities
    Travel - Short trip (up to 3 weeks)
    Hiking
    Seaside
    Out in the forest
    A day Trip to the Bots (elven ...;))

I'll be happy to make my contribution ... what do people think ?

Could be a long thread ... which may make it difficult to use ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

You have too much gear Simon, most of us non highflyers can easily carry all our gear.:D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

nilhg wrote: »
    You have too much gear Simon, most of us non highflyers can easily carry all our gear.:D:D;)

:p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Feck, if a short trip is three weeks, then a long trip is ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Too right. :D

Could be an interesting topic/thread.

I travel at least once a year to the US/Canada and also a European trip. I would also do weekends away,and even day trips to the Botanics etc.

So .. who starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

One camera, prime and built-in flash. Or zoom containing 50mm equivalent.
    What more do I need? Few rolls of film :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

apparently, this will help you organise you for your photographic assignments...I can't imagine that I'd ever be organised enough to set it up and use it properly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

:o

Well I was more thinking of tips than anything else ... e.g. things like bringing dry bags for trips to the very wet and very arid places ... they cost €5 in Gt Outdoors ... or what type of bag suits different situations ... not really thinking about carrying 400 lenses and 20 bodies .... that sort of this is obvious

I'm sure all you poor people out there can afford that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

:o

Well I was more thinking of tips than anything else ... e.g. things like bringing dry bags for trips to the very wet and very arid places ... they cost €5 in Gt Outdoors ... or what type of bag suits different situations ... not really thinking about carrying 400 lenses and 20 bodies .... that sort of this is obvious

I'm sure all you poor people out there can afford that ???

Baler twine and fertiliser bags, proven many times.:D:D

Seriously though I know what you are thinking of, my problem is that I forget the ovbious things, like my tripod or the battery I put on charge the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Jacket with big pockets for bringng heavy lenses past the weighing scales in airports. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

• Advertisement

Jacket with big pockets for bringng heavy lenses past the weighing scales in airports. :D

YOu may think I'm joking but ... I have that covered ... at the expense of looking silly of course ... but anyone who knows me will tell you I am a silly person :rolleyes:

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a checklist for different trips ... but I'm not anal enough to do it ... so I was hoping one of you guys would be sufficiently retentive in the back department ...

Calina wrote: »

Thanks Calina ... that is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about ...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I would be willing do do one for the artic/northern scandanavia, i anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Went to Derry once for a game and realised I had left both my Batteries in the charger on the Kitchen Table :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Went to Derry once for a game and realised I had left both my Batteries in the charger on the Kitchen Table :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And the checklist also? ;)

Burnt wrote: »
    I would be willing do do one for the artic/northern scandanavia, i anyone is interested.

Well, I'm thinking of heading to the antarctic next year so yes ... assuming I can brave the roller coaster ride to get there ...

Equipment List: Artic/Cold Weather Photography

Through hiking around Scandinavia and working in extreme cold conditions,
    I have had fantastic opportunities for shooting; though being ill prepared, I
    have missed many these or worse, travelled home to find that they had been
    completely ruined. Three basic and cheap considerations will help you avoid
    this.

Bring waterproof stuff sacks and silica gel sachets. For two reasons:
    Firstly when you bring your kit in from outside in the cold, condensation will
    form on it. Place it in the bag before going in and allow it to warm up slowly
    you will help avoid this, particularly for film enthusiasts.

Secondly. Despite being though of as frozen there can be a lot of liquid water
    around, in particular in late spring. Ideally get a bag that is brightly coloured
    and floats; for when you fall into or have to wade across rivers and snow
    drifts.

Even small amounts of moisture can lead to you mirror and shutter to freeze
    solid, in extreme cases the lube can freeze too. For the more hardcore,
    expedition minded look into getting ring sealed cases such as Pelican

Bring multiple batteries, and keep them next to your body.
    Cold weather causes batteries to lose their charge, very quickly. This will lead
    to the camera dying, particularly while attempting long exposures e.g. aurora
    borealis. LCD screens may not work, this could require a hard reset to fix
    (replace battery). If possible remove the battery from the camera while not in
    use, to preserve the lifetime. Do not keep the bear camera under you clothes as
    you again get condensation problems, use the bag.

Bring Thin Liner Gloves

Trying to focus or trip the shutter, frozen fingers or bulky gloves, is a pain.
    Get a pair of ultra fine merino wool gloves as a liner; in extreme cold flesh my
    freeze to metal, think licking ice, so fingerless gloves may not be desirable.
    Also you can get sachets then when crunched will release heat, handy for
    fingers and frozen batteries.

Other points of note

Though not essential it’s nice to have a few additional pieces of kit/tips
    relevant to the conditions. Try not fog up your view finder as it will freeze
    over.
    Snow and ice, produce a lot of glare so it maybe advisable to bring a
    polarising filter and/or a lense hood. They have the added bonus of keeping
    snow of your glass.
    Ideally shot scenes side lit, straight into or with your back to the sun you will
    more than likely overexpose (even on auto), so bracket. With the sun to your
    back you will also get very bright spots over the image, i.e. direction
    reflection of the surfaces of ice crystals, though sometimes this can be
    aesthetically pleasing.
    Were high winds are common, tent stakes and cord can be used to secure
    your tripod further.

I would also ask anyone to seriously consider a fully mechanical film
    on such a trip. If you have any other queries please ask.

Advertisement