Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash - M50 18 03 08

Options
  • 18-03-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭

For all soldiers please note

Tuesday, 18 March 2008 11:50

The M50 northbound is closed following a crash involving three Defence Forces trucks and a car.

The crash happened just past the junction four turn-off for Ballymun.

Five members of the Defence Forces have suspected spinal injuries.
    Advertisement

Over 20 soldiers in total have been taken to hospital, most have minor injuries.

AA Roadwatch says motorists are being asked to avoid the M50.

Those already travelling on the M50 northbound should exit at junction five for Finglas.

--- hope all are well.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/rta1.html
    30 injured in M50 crash
    Tuesday, 18 March 2008 12:01
    The M50 northbound is closed following a crash involving three Defence Forces trucks and a car.

The crash happened just past the junction four turn-off for Ballymun.

Nine members of the Defence Forces have suspected spinal or neck injuries.

AdvertisementEight ambulances and gardaí are at the scene.

One person has a suspected broken leg, another has a suspected broken collar bone, and 19 members of the force suffered bruising and minor cuts.

AA Roadwatch says motorists are being asked to avoid the M50.

Those already travelling on the M50 northbound should exit at junction five for Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Anyone know who it was?

Hope everyone is ok,

Blazher wrote: »
    Anyone know who it was?

Not sure exactly who but its a unit out of the Brugha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

mods - duplicate thread going over in Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The troops were part of a potential Non-Commissioned Officer course from the 2 Eastern Brigade Training Centre from Cathal Brugha Barracks.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    mods - duplicate thread going over in Motors.

From a differnat angle to us I suspect considering they will be woried about the traffic disruption. Plenty of dupe threads on boards.ie

Saibh wrote: »
    The troops were part of a potential Non-Commissioned Officer course from the 2 Eastern Brigade Training Centre from Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Thanks, Just wanted to make sure it was no one i knew personaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what the hell are they thinking not having seat belts on the trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

what the hell are they thinking not having seat belts on the trucks?
    its an idea alright there should also be brackets under the seat or at the back of the truck to lock your weapon into also coz in a crash god knows where the rifle would end up worse still i would wanna get a smack off a gpmg goin through the air

• Advertisement

From what I understand you need a full harness system because peopel are all sitting sideways. Flying gear is an issue alright.

Rew wrote: »
    From what I understand you need a full harness system because peopel are all sitting sideways. Flying gear is an issue alright.

Yes, That is what you need, They are a joke, But its part of the job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This just shows how dangerous and ill equiped those Trucks are. there's nothing to keep you safe if you had a crash hence all the injuries. Seeing that crash made me think of how easy it could happen to any soldier travelling in those trucks despite how careful the drivers a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

How bad was the crash exactly? anymore specifics on what actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

well i heard the front of the trucks are in bits and my mate who seen them said hes amazed nobody died in the front of the trucks, most of the lads in the back are ok, my mate said there was a broken collarbone or 2 and a dislocated shoulder. apparantly some eejit came off the on-ramp onto the m50 and they collided somehow, 3 trucks drove into the back of each other!

you can feel every bump on those things and if you go over a big pot hole the vibrations go right through ya so i could only imagin how bad the crash alone was, never mind the rifles etc flying everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

The brakes on those trucks are lethal - either they lock completely when you touch the brake pedal slightly (and all the bods in the back get sandwiched together) or the truck just keeps going when the brake pedal is to the floor.

Either way, it is a scary sensation for the driver to see the back of the vehicle in front looming closer, or knowing that he has a lot of very pi**ed off troops in the back.

Speedy recovery to all involved (drivers included).

Advertisement