Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Profit

Options
  • 07-03-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

The National Lottery had a record year for profits last year.The same year that they raised the price to play by 50% and added 3 more numbers so it's more difficult to win the jackpot.Are Irish people idiots to buy this con? (and please,no "it's for charity" posts)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You done 78 lines on the lotto and didn't get one number up on Wednesday night. Is Pighead right berliner?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is that not kinda rhetorical OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Is that not kinda rhetorical OP?

Double rhetorical! Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Last post I expected a few days before Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I like the idea of the Lotto.
    I have a fleeting hope that mine will be the winning ticket - I worked with a girl who shared a jackpot the very first time she played - and can jack in my job whenever I like, go on a world tour, buy a nice house and have 10 kids....
    Since they added the last batch of numbers I wait until it gets to about €10m before I play as my own personal protest (I used to play nearly every draw).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Pighead wrote: »
    You done 78 lines on the lotto and didn't get one number up on Wednesday night. Is Pighead right berliner?
    I once got 5 numbers when it was easier and cheaper to play and win.Ahhh....what would I be doing now if that damn number 3 had come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You say no "but it's for charity" BUT... well I'm not going to say it.

dsmythy wrote: »
    You say no "but it's for charity" BUT... well I'm not going to say it.
    So it's okay to rob us blind as long as it's for charity:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Happiness from winning jackpot * probability of winning jackpot is greater than sadness from losing 1.50 or whatever it costs to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

berliner wrote: »
    So it's okay to rob us blind as long as it's for charity:confused:

Some goes to charity and you get to play the game. Simple as. No probs with it. If people want to play then they can play.

• Advertisement

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Happiness from winning jackpot * probability of winning jackpot is greater than sadness from losing 1.50 or whatever it costs to play.
    You obviously dont play because it costs a minimum of €3 to have a go at winning.Rip off merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Don't play as a rule (only when mega roll over)...BUT.. i hope to come on here someday and start an i just won the lotto thread.

I think if your luck is in you are just as likely to win it on a 2 line no plus than throwing €100 on it. It's all luck.

When i throw my few bob on it i don't give a second thought to their profit, just my potential win.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

twerg_85 wrote: »

Didn't get this the first time but i like it.
    You obviously dont play because it costs a minimum of €3 to have a go at winning.Rip off merchants.

Now in fairness...I know you have to do min two lines but each line only costs €1.50...so each €1.50 gives us an equal chance.

Let's say you're both right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If you don't like it, don't play. I know the odds of winning are astronomical but it's €4 I can afford to lose twice a week in the hope of telling the boss to kiss my ass one day.

Before somebody comes in with saying that the odds are 10million to one or whatever and you're only getting 6 million to one or your stake, I have a question>>>>>do you use the sme criteria when asked to buy raffle tickets for a worthy cause/kid's football team/etc?

Collie D wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't play. I know the odds of winning are astronomical but it's €4 I can afford to lose twice a week in the hope of telling the boss to kiss my ass one day.

Before somebody comes in with saying that the odds are 10million to one or whatever and you're only getting 6 million to one or your stake, I have a question>>>>>do you use the sme criteria when asked to buy raffle tickets for a worthy cause/kid's football team/etc?
    When it started first it cost 50P a line and there was only 35 numbers.Someone once described it as a tax on stupidity.

When it started first it cost 50P a line and there was only 35 numbers.Someone once described it as a tax on stupidity.

Yes and the prize fund was about a quarter of a million pounds. "Someone" also once described Ireland as a nation of drunks.

Collie D wrote: »
    Yes and the prize fund was about a quarter of a million pounds. "Someone" also once described Ireland as a nation of drunks.
    I'd rather have a quarter million pounds for 50p than the unwinable rip off it has evolved into now.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As you are aware the National Lottery roll over which has not been won since the 30th of January this year and seems to be heading for the bank holiday weekend of St Patrick’s day or Easter Saturday when it will be worth in the region of €15,500,000.

Last year I phoned the national lottery when there was a similar roll over and they informed me that this was a game of chance and it was just a coincidence that there was no winner at the time.

However, they also informed me at the time that 2007 was a record year for Lotto sales due to the number of roll overs which took place and that there would be at least 4 major roll overs in 2008. So much for the National Lottery Act of 1986.

I believe the overall odds of winning the Lotto is a 1 in 8,145,060 if this is the case how come there was no winner since 30th of January with a population of over 4,100,000 in the country.
    I am under no misapprehension that not all members of the public are of the age or economically active to take part in the lotto.
    (Would you agree that at least 1.3 million people purchased tickets for the lotto and the minimum purchase is two lines)

In my opinion I believe just before the draw on a Wednesday or Saturday night between 7:45 and 7:50pm they check the computer database to pick a sequence of six numbers which have not been picked by any member of the public for that draw, in so doing afford them the opportunity to let the Lotto roll over for another while.

In the same way when they decide to let a large roll over be won, they also check the computer to pick a sequence of six numbers which may have been picked 2 or 3 times by members of the public to allow a large roll over be divided between 2 or more winners.
    (This is the reason why I usually repeat the same line twice my self in different shops for the same draw!)

The point I wish to make is that any one who entered the Lotto since the 30th of January entered a competition where there was never going to be a winner of the overall top prizes.
    They entered a competition under a false pretence that there would be an overall winner which I would regard as fraud.

Frequently after a large roll over the National Lottery have a number of smaller prize winners for about 2 or 3 weeks and may even have 2 winners of €2,500,000 to take the heat off!

It is not my deliberate intention to cause defamation of the National Lottery however I feel that this petty juvenile carry on will finally lead to the downfall of the National Lottery as the general public start to cop on.

The National Lottery claims that they are fair and honest in everything they do and that they operate to the highest professional standards in all their activities.
    I wonder!

At this point I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for reading my letter and would welcome any comments from any member of the public or the National Lottery on this matter.

PS: I rang the National Lottery office again this week and put my accusation about fraud to them, so don’t be surprised if they let it off before Easter.

Three words.

Alex from KPMG.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Trampas

As you are aware the National Lottery roll over which has not been won since the 30th of January this year and seems to be heading for the bank holiday weekend of St Patrick’s day or Easter Saturday when it will be worth in the region of €15,500,000.

Last year I phoned the national lottery when there was a similar roll over and they informed me that this was a game of chance and it was just a coincidence that there was no winner at the time.

However, they also informed me at the time that 2007 was a record year for Lotto sales due to the number of roll overs which took place and that there would be at least 4 major roll overs in 2008. So much for the National Lottery Act of 1986.

I believe the overall odds of winning the Lotto is a 1 in 8,145,060 if this is the case how come there was no winner since 30th of January with a population of over 4,100,000 in the country.
    I am under no misapprehension that not all members of the public are of the age or economically active to take part in the lotto.
    (Would you agree that at least 1.3 million people purchased tickets for the lotto and the minimum purchase is two lines)

In my opinion I believe just before the draw on a Wednesday or Saturday night between 7:45 and 7:50pm they check the computer database to pick a sequence of six numbers which have not been picked by any member of the public for that draw, in so doing afford them the opportunity to let the Lotto roll over for another while.

In the same way when they decide to let a large roll over be won, they also check the computer to pick a sequence of six numbers which may have been picked 2 or 3 times by members of the public to allow a large roll over be divided between 2 or more winners.
    (This is the reason why I usually repeat the same line twice my self in different shops for the same draw!)

The point I wish to make is that any one who entered the Lotto since the 30th of January entered a competition where there was never going to be a winner of the overall top prizes.
    They entered a competition under a false pretence that there would be an overall winner which I would regard as fraud.

Frequently after a large roll over the National Lottery have a number of smaller prize winners for about 2 or 3 weeks and may even have 2 winners of €2,500,000 to take the heat off!

It is not my deliberate intention to cause defamation of the National Lottery however I feel that this petty juvenile carry on will finally lead to the downfall of the National Lottery as the general public start to cop on.

The National Lottery claims that they are fair and honest in everything they do and that they operate to the highest professional standards in all their activities.
    I wonder!

At this point I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for reading my letter and would welcome any comments from any member of the public or the National Lottery on this matter.

PS: I rang the National Lottery office again this week and put my accusation about fraud to them, so don’t be surprised if they let it off before Easter.

And your proof is ..............................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It is up to the National Lottery to prove me wrong!

Not really. Persuasion of guilt generally lies solely on the prosecution. All you have is hearsay, figures plucked out of mid-air and an attitude. Thanks for the PM. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It is up to the National Lottery to prove me wrong!

Thats for the pm also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thats hilarious.
    to improve your chances of winning you buy the same line twice in different shops!
    ive heard it all now.

Alex from KPMG could be in on the fix.My problem with the fix theory is the lottery show is drawn live on tv,if it's recorded then it could be rigged.That's an interesting theory Mr Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Can someone find a suitable forum for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

"Alex from KPMG could be in on the fix".My problem with the fix theory is the lottery show is drawn live on tv,if it's recorded then it could be rigged.That's an interesting theory Mr Nolan.

You don't know much about the accounting profession if you think that's possible. Since there would be rotation of the KPMG person appearing on live Lotto draw, and among the people doing work behind the scenes to test the integrity of it (some of which would be juniors on just 23K a year) it would be a massive leap into fantasy land to imagine that so many people could have been in on a scam this long without it getting out.

By the way, I don't work for KPMG. But I am in the same profession.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ROFL. Here ya go Brian.

There was more roll-overs in '07 because they added extra balls making it more difficult to win.

I am really starting to hope that neither Brian Nolan or berliner ever win so much as a scratch card on the Lotto.

Rigged!!! FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

I wonder!

I lold so hard at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

I agree with Brian but i think your wrong in the way they fix it, sometimes i wake up in the middle of a dream and i can see subliminal adverts from the National Lottery telling me different sequences of numbers to bet on. They could never been seen to be fixing draws so they attack the weak minds of us Irish by planting subliminal messages making us pick numbers that are matamatically unlikely to come up. I think they plant these subliminal messages during big national games like rugby and football internationals, the 9 oclock news and Podge and Rodge. PM me for more details but i dont want to say too much on a public boards for my own safety and dont be surprised if you read this and its subliminally deleted from your conciousness.

• Advertisement

So they have the 6 numbers which have not been selected.

Aint hard to do find out what selections haven't been selected.

So how do they get the correct balls out?

Let me guess..... magnets, secret door, photoshop

Com'on tell us.

How do they get the correct balls out for it to be a rollover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement