Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarsfield Road roundabout - Wilton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Femmy wrote: »
    zoomed in a much as i could. and the line stops for the yellow box..thats why we have this problem.

And re-emerges on the other side quite clearly splitting the right hand lane in two. TBH I'm amazed you're still trying to claim otherwise....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

TBH Femmy, we could be meaner about it :)

I can see why you'd think that because so many people cut in from the left hand lane (I often do it myself if it's clear), but the left hand lane does not split.
    Two incidents in the last week, I gather.

Two incidents there last night ffs. A fender-bender in the middle lane westbound about 6:15 and some Einstein managed to flip the trailer on his 4x4 in the 50kph zone on the approach from the west side at 8:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Two incidents there last night ffs. A fender-bender in the middle lane westbound about 6:15 and some Einstein managed to flip the trailer on his 4x4 in the 50kph zone on the approach from the west side at 8:15.

Sorry, should have clarified; that was two involving our company transport alone;)

Given that the ludicrous situation where traffic was turning right out of our premises across four lanes of traffic has now been resolved by traffic light control, you can probably guess who I work for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

a truck full of esb poles tried to kill me another day by crossing over two lanes in a go twice coming from the tunnel exit to the wilton exit. though i think that might be a special case ginormous vehicle

Still though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'd like to see the plans for the Sarsfield flyover if they are there, the space is so tight! it shall look so unsightly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

they'd be seriously widening the junction when it goes ahead. there were a few ppl mucking around w/ giant drills last year taking o ut soil and stuff,

afaik they're moving the entire roundabout off towards togher.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Femmy might be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Victor wrote: »
    Femmy might be right.

Thank you so much!!
    That pic is soo much better and i think proves my point!!

I knew i was right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Thank you so much!!
    That pic is soo much better and i think proves my point!!

I knew i was right!

The 2 images are different, the lines look like they have been changed in the first pic, which looks more recent than the 2nd, id say your wrong!

X.

xabi wrote: »
    The 2 images are different, the lines look like they have been changed in the first pic, which looks more recent than the 2nd, id say your wrong!

X.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Well, Femmy - you were right! Went that way today to have a look and it's as in Victor's picture. The council obviously repainted the lines sometime in the relatively recent past (i.e. with the last year or so). Note that I am 100% certain that the right hand lane previously split in two, as seen in the Googlemaps pic. Why they changed them I'm not sure. The 'direction' of the new lines is not as obvious from the road as the aerial pic may make out though - I can see where confusion may arise! (in fact, someone from the right hand lane is crossing to the left in Victor's pic). Is there a regulation which stops them from continuing the line 'under' the yellow box?

Femmy might be right.

Nice catch Victor! I wasn't sure myself tbh.

Nice catch Victor! I wasn't sure myself tbh.

I was!
    I drive past there numerous times a day, so was dead certain..
    i've had loads of road rage wars with other drivers there..practically every day.
    one man actually got out of his car and shouted at one of my collegues cos he "thought" she had cut infront of him, she's from the north so she started to give out to him but i dont think he could make out what she was saying...he just threw a fag butt at her vehicle and got back into his car...fooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

Seeing as how we are talking about roundabouts - I always use the right-most lane coming up to the Kinsale Road roundabout, when I am coming from town with the intention of heading west on the link road. The right-most lane moves to the middle lane once you've gone through the second set of lights -at least this is what I've always believed (following the road markings) until a Garda car crossed in in front of me from the left this morning, and this toolbox behind the Garda blew at me for trying to stay in the middle lane. What say ye? Were the Gardai wrong (shock-horror) or was I wrong here? I got their reg and it was a Dublin car, but I presume that doesn't mean they were Dublin Gardai.

shnaek wrote: »
    Seeing as how we are talking about roundabouts - I always use the right-most lane coming up to the Kinsale Road roundabout, when I am coming from town with the intention of heading west on the link road. The right-most lane moves to the middle lane once you've gone through the second set of lights -at least this is what I've always believed (following the road markings) until a Garda car crossed in in front of me from the left this morning, and this toolbox behind the Garda blew at me for trying to stay in the middle lane. What say ye? Were the Gardai wrong (shock-horror) or was I wrong here? I got their reg and it was a Dublin car, but I presume that doesn't mean they were Dublin Gardai.

I think all garda cars are D reg..
    i do the same as you, i stay on the right lane and once pass the second set of lights, i follow the road markings and i am in the middle lane, cos the right hand lane goes back towards the city..
    i am sure that this is the right way to do it, but you do have to keep an eye to your left, cos alot of the time people will try and butt in infront of you. The horn on my car is not working at the moment, so that makes me even more frustrated..i would never beep at someone with a learner plate on though, cos i remember driving on that round about myself when i was learning, and it is a terrifying experience.

Femmy might be right.

The streetlight hides the white line where it curves. At the moment there's just a great big yellow box there with no white lines to tell you where the lanes go. Before they painted the box, the right lane clearly split into two. Without any new information, you'd have to assume the old system applies.

What a stupid fooking place for a yellow box anyway......

I think all garda cars are D reg..
    I thought that was the case alright.
    i do the same as you, i stay on the right lane and once pass the second set of lights, i follow the road markings and i am in the middle lane, cos the right hand lane goes back towards the city..
    i am sure that this is the right way to do it, but you do have to keep an eye to your left, cos alot of the time people will try and butt in infront of you.
    Big time. You need eyes on the back of your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Why don't you langers just read the rules of the road

• Advertisement

The streetlight hides the white line where it curves. At the moment there's just a great big yellow box there with no white lines to tell you where the lanes go. Before they painted the box, the right lane clearly split into two. Without any new information, you'd have to assume the old system applies.

What a stupid fooking place for a yellow box anyway......

While i agree with you that its a stupid place to put the yellow box..the street light does not hide where the white line curves..it is farily obvious where that white line is headed and it re emerges at the other side, splitting the left hand lane in 2.

Tbh, i could be meaner about it:p

craichoe wrote: »
    Why don't you langers just read the rules of the road

But it's the other people that need to read the rules of the road! We're all perfect drivers here.:D

Tbh, i could be meaner about it:p

lol - I've passed there loads of times recently and I haven't seen anything that makes me think that the lanes have changed. I'm not going to concede unless you can prove they have been changed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

dahamsta wrote: »
    Point of order: there's no such thing as a fast lane in Ireland. The lane(s) on the right is/are for overtaking.

adam

Well said.

Whoever first called the overtaking lane the fast lane should be shot! Of course with Irish drivers the way they are I'm not sure it would really matter if it was called the 'Do Not ****in Cruise Along In This ****in Lane Lane'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hedgepig

I hear you on that Penrose Wharf thing. I also do that every day and it is very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

kcb wrote: »
    Well said.

Whoever first called the overtaking lane the fast lane should be shot! Of course with Irish drivers the way they are I'm not sure it would really matter if it was called the 'Do Not ****in Cruise Along In This ****in Lane Lane'!

So shoot me, although I don't see what your post has to do with the topic at hand...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

So shoot me, although I don't see what your post has to do with the topic at hand...:rolleyes:

Haha! You hardly invented the term did ya!

Sorry I didnt read the whole thread - it was just that post I saw and agreed with.

My post is related to the topic at hand because - drivers misbehaving at roundabouts is just one of the examples of irish drivers being one of the worst in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good to see Gardai on the wilton roundabout stopping people using that lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

dahamsta wrote: »
    Point of order: there's no such thing as a fast lane in Ireland. The lane(s) on the right is/are for overtaking.

adam

I heard that before. That's really retarded and Ireland is probably the only country in the world which has no fast lane. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

re Roundabouts: one day i will get huge old american 4x4 and then there will be HELL on Cork's streets ... NO REMORSE, NO REGRET !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,549 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I heard that before. That's really retarded and Ireland is probably the only country in the world which has no fast lane. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

re Roundabouts: one day i will get huge old american 4x4 and then there will be HELL on Cork's streets ... NO REMORSE, NO REGRET !!!

What's ridiculous is bringing up a thread that has not been in use for over 3 years - R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

Advertisement