Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File sharing wit 10.5 & XP

• 02-02-2008 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm a new Mac convert so still finding my feet but I have investigated this issue and have yet to find an answer. I have a Macbook with the latest version of leopard and an XP desktop. Basically, the Macbook has only 80GB and I want to use the desktop, and all its external drives, as shared storage. I have internet access for both via a Linksys WRT54GSv6 wireless router and wish to file share via this. I have my iTunes folder (set as shared) on an external drive connected to the PC and basically want to wirelessly connect to this via iTunes in the Macbook. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

In iTunes preferences on the PC select Sharing -> Share my library on my local network. On the Mac iTunes, select Sharing -> Look for shared libraries. Should pick it up automatically then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davegorman54

Unfortunately my Mac can't or won't connect with my PC. When I try to connect I get a connection error (00036). I was wondering if my Linksys WRT54GSv6 doesn't allow file sharing? Or if there was an issue with Leopard? Or I dunno? I have searched for answers elsewhere but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Have you tried with the XP firewall turned off temporarily just to eliminate it.

You might want to try and share a folder over your network too. On the PC share any old folder and try to connect from the Mac. If when you share the folder your PC doesn't show up try 'Apple + K' and enter the IP or name of your computer. Assuming you got it working then try copying a file from the windows machine to the Mac over the network. An mp3 of 2 Meg or so should be enough to test. This will test your link when using bandwidth. You'll be able to see if the transfer stalls or breaks etc.

Normally only 2 problems for this sort of stuff. Either something it blocking you or that it breaks when actually transferring data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried Breezers suggestion ? File sharing and iTunes Sharing are two different beasts the latter doesn't rely on Windows file sharing or NetBIOS or WINS.

Aside from that can you see your XP machines name in the Shared section on the left pane of a Finder window - click the Finder icon on the left of your Dock.

bsodinleopard.jpg

As suggested above share your My Documents folder on XP and see if the shared section on Finder updates.

Alternatively, on the Finder menu Click:
    Go > Connect to Server and enter smb://<ip of xp machine> and click the + button to add it to the list and then click Connect.

uit__84.jpg

You can find the IP of the XP box by doing: Start > Run... > cmd > ipconfig.

If you have a password on the XP box you will be asked for a valid username and password that is on the XP box NOT YOUR MAC USERNAME/PASSWORD - unless of course they are the same :)

It might also help if the XP box and Mac are members of the same Workgroup. On XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Computer Name .

SystemPropertiesComputerName.gif

On the Mac: System Preferences > Network

network-prefs.png

> Advanced > WINS and enter the Workgroup name as seen in XP

ZEN

Thank you both Dorsanty and Zener. I think I am getting somewhere now. Your advise has been great and thank you for taking the time to reply. Still stuck at the username/password stage but i'm gonna mess with my XP to see what the issue is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You may have set XP without a password for your account or you have it set not to ask for one and maybe you've forgotten it - I've done it myself lots of times. Just change your account to include a password. You can set windows to boot automatically without asking for the password every time it boots if that annoys you.

ZEN

I've gotten to the stage when I'm asked to connect as guest ore registered user. I select registered user but when I type in what I believe should be the username and password I get "connection failed, you do not have permission...) Can anyone tell me how I can figure this out so I can sleep easy at night. This has to be simple I just cant see it.

I've gotten to the stage when I'm asked to connect as guest ore registered user. I select registered user but when I type in what I believe should be the username and password I get "connection failed, you do not have permission...) Can anyone tell me how I can figure this out so I can sleep easy at night. This has to be simple I just cant see it.

To start at the beginning.
    Firstly remove simple file sharing from XP. It sucks,
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,427186,00.asp

Now share or edit your shared folder and give permissions to a User [XP user account] that you know the login name and password for.
    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/network/0,39044847,39049730,00.htm
    Follow text in above link from after 'figure B'

From the Mac connect as described in earlier posts and enter the now valid username and password for the share you are connecting to.

To start at the beginning.
    Firstly remove simple file sharing from XP. It sucks,
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,427186,00.asp

Now share or edit your shared folder and give permissions to a User [XP user account] that you know the login name and password for.
    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/network/0,39044847,39049730,00.htm
    Follow text in above link from after 'figure B'

From the Mac connect as described in earlier posts and enter the now valid username and password for the share you are connecting to.

I never would have figured that out. Thanks so much. At last I'm all sorted and can rest easy. I thought I was doing something really stupid. Many, many thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement