Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its "Euro" not "Euros"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

kizzyr wrote: »
    This also happen when people speak about the number hundred in the singular. They say "a hundred" rather than "one hundred". To say "a hundred people were there" is ok but when someone says "the first a hundred people to arrive"......really annoys me.

This drives me mad too. They are alway doing it on Top Gear "this car costs an amazing a hundred thousand pounds".

There is also an ad for some bank running on the radio at the moment. It says something along the lines of "switch your account now and claim your a hundred and fifty euro".

I dont know why, but it really drives me mental.

I also hate people who say crips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I worked in a bank at the time of the euro introduction and we all got a circular at the time to say we were to pronounce it euro at all times as those on the continent don't prononuce the "s" and we didn't want to be different. (Think it was mainly a French thing but French speakers may confirm). The British dont seem to have got the circular though that we got ... they all say euros. People generally said euros here too until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Always said euros myself.Just feels more natural saying it.
    Onto what pronunciation annoys me: Ever listen to Alan Hughes on Tv3 in the morning?Throughout= trout. GRRRRRRRRR!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

if how people say things annoys the **** outta someone, they must live one happy ****in life

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Its "Euro" not "Euros"

Yeah and it's "it's" not "its"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's Crips. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tickets.ie

I think the reason that Euro is used for both the singular and the plural has got to do with the fact that it's a pan-European word - the word is used in many European countries and different languages use different endings to denote plural. Otherwise for example in a country like Germany they might call it 'Euroen' etc. It probably has something to do with political sensitives when it comes to using languages in Europe. Why should the English plural version be adopted as the plural version and they don't even use the currency?! According to the Central Bank either version (is correct) and can be used in Ireland.

Personally I prefer Euro rather than Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Its crisps not Chrisps .......although to be fair the "crips" thing bugs the hell out of me too as does "bokkle" rather than "bottle" "likkle" in place of "little" "hostipal" for "hospital" "trouders" for "trousers", "cousint" for "cousin". Then there are the people who say "package of crips" not "packet of crisps". For the biggest irritant I'm torn between people (and there are a lot of them) who insist on saying "O8" (as in the letter "O") when it should be "08" (as in the number zero). Why oh why do people use the letter when they are really talking about a number? This also happen when people speak about the number hundred in the singular. They say "a hundred" rather than "one hundred". To say "a hundred people were there" is ok but when someone says "the first a hundred people to arrive"......really annoys me. I get need to get a life don't I?:o
    Re: Pat Kenny and the beginning and ending with a vowel and not being able to use the plural doesn't stand up; e.g. apple / apples, orange/ oranges omelette / omelettes
    the first part of your post is 100% spot on. the people who usually say crips and bokkle and **** are skangers so its just another reason to dislike them, I suppose.

The rest of your post tho is dumb. I'd say Oh-8 in reference to a reg plate and a hundred. Thats just being finicky tbh.. altho I've never heard anyone say the first a hundred people to arrive. Maybe you're hanging around retards or something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

snyper wrote:
    Genius.. whats the plural for Penis??

i think its "penii"
    The Latinate plural in this case would be penes rather than penii, as penis is a third declension noun ... if the word were penus it would most likely be second declension and be pluralised as you have suggested.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    I think it's actually the less interesting; Penises
    The more conventionally English form of plural is equally correct, and probably more commonly used outside of medical literature ... insofar as anyone talks about penises in the plural outside of medical literature!

Personally, I prefer not to think about them in the plural at all, I find it a bit disturbing tbh ... >.<

But by no means let me spoil your fun, Snyper ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

who gives a fcuks?
    I'll give you a tip of a few euros for that post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Crips
    Pound(its been Euro for the last 8 or so years:rolleyes:)
    Hostable
    winda(window)
    shurrup
    Only in Dublin:D
    I was watching an old interview with Robbie Keane and it had to be sub-titled, WTF:eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Clytus wrote: »
    Right...I remember just before the Euro changeover somone on the Pat Kenny show telling us why you cant pluralise the word Euro ( something to do with the word beginning and ending with a vowel)

Euroma can't pluralise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Shekels tbh.

Euroma can't pluralise.
    Don't single out Karoma like that, just coz he's a jaffa ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Or how about the age old Dublin favourite: "We bet them in the match last week". Every time I hear this, I want to chew out my own spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm a Euro man myself.

Regarding the "a hundred thousand", doesn't "a" denote singular?

as in "a book", "a cow", "a sheep" where as "the books", "the cows", "the sheep" denotes plural? So "a hundred thousand" denoting a single hundred. I realise this isn't accurate when used with numbers but you can see why Hamster and co say it.

I ain't no english word knower person though and am open to correction and a little flaming!

What really gets me is pedantic people trying to make us all sound alike. Ain't there bigger problems to get worked up about? Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Latinate plural in this case would be penes rather than penii, as penis is a third declension noun ... if the word were penus it would most likely be second declension and be pluralised as you have suggested.
    The more conventionally English form of plural is equally correct, and probably more commonly used outside of medical literature ... insofar as anyone talks about penises in the plural outside of medical literature!

I salute your knowledge of all things sexual .. and their plural.

I only wanted to know the plural for my Screenplay im working on

Brokeback Mountain 2
    Bukakke in the Hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Clytus wrote: »
    Right...I remember just before the Euro changeover somone on the Pat Kenny show telling us why you cant pluralise the word Euro ( something to do with the word beginning and ending with a vowel)

If thats the case why do so so many News readers ,TV hosts, Radio broadcasters ( George Hook being the most guilty) and folks in general say "Euros"??

...and I may as well ask this while posting,but why on earth do some Dublin people find the need to refer to "Crisps" as "crips"???...are people with a Dublin accent just being lazy while they talk and cant be bothered to pull back thier tounge to pronounce the "Cris" part of the word??

Or maybe Im just missing something!!:(

When it comes to crips they have a lips. They are addicted to being afflicted which would make a lovely two part drama, all Dublin cast talking with their lips full of crips and not one of them sneezing.

snyper wrote: »
    I salute your knowledge of all things sexual .. and their plural.

I only wanted to know the plural for my Screenplay im working on

Brokeback Mountain 2
    Bukakke in the Hills
    Any truth in the rumour that it was originally to be sub-titled "Bukkake on the Heath"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Tickets.ie wrote: »
    I think the reason that Euro is used for both the singular and the plural has got to do with the fact that it's a pan-European word - the word is used in many European countries and different languages use different endings to denote plural. Otherwise for example in a country like Germany they might call it 'Euroen' etc. It probably has something to do with political sensitives when it comes to using languages in Europe. Why should the English plural version be adopted as the plural version and they don't even use the currency?! According to the Central Bank either version (is correct) and can be used in Ireland.

Personally I prefer Euro rather than Euros.

Bull.

Finish = euro, euroa; sentti, senttiä.
    French = euro, euros; cent, cents.
    In french the last consonanat isn't pronounced unless the next word begins with a vowel or silent 'h'.
    euros would also seem to be present in Spanish.

I only ever use 'euro' and 'cent' as singular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about those people who always say 'foot' when it should be 'feet'?

"He must have been six foot six"

"It was a twenty foot drop"

aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggg......

I have to restrain myself during moments like these! :D

"It was a twenty foot drop"
    Actually, that sounds right to me! O_o

Though for the life of me I couldn't give you a grammatical reason why it should be!

Where's Talliesin when you need him?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What about those people who always say 'foot' when it should be 'feet'?
    What? No more playing footsie under the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

obl wrote: »
    Bull.

Finish = euro, euroa; sentti, senttiä.
    French = euro, euros; cent, cents.
    In french the last consonanat isn't pronounced unless the next word begins with a vowel or silent 'h'.
    euros would also seem to be present in Spanish.

I only ever use 'euro' and 'cent' as singular.

No. He is correct. Euro was supposed to be the plural of Euro as each language pluaralises in a different way. But for some reason Ireland was the only country that bothered informing their citizens of this. I always say Euro anyway.
    Wreck wrote: »
    According to the Boosh it's Euro's so thats the end of that. Unless you want to get trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob.

If you are going to stick an 'S' at the end you certainly don't need an apostrophe. But yeah... the use of the Euro currency in the Mighty Boosh is highly endearing... although they slipped up in the Crack Fox episode when the tramp was asking for pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

the first part of your post is 100% spot on. the people who usually say crips and bokkle and **** are skangers so its just another reason to dislike them, I suppose.

The rest of your post tho is dumb. I'd say Oh-8 in reference to a reg plate and a hundred. Thats just being finicky tbh.. altho I've never heard anyone say the first a hundred people to arrive. Maybe you're hanging around retards or something?[/QUOTE]

Lately it feels like I have. :( People say that " Oh" in place of the number zero LOTS. e.g. living in the Oh 1 area when they mean the 01 area (phone codes) etc. I know its pedantic but it irritates me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Well I must apologise but I say oh-1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I remember when the single currency was being mooted and there was talk of Europe having a dollar - and thats what I've referred to it as since.

Everyone knows what I'm talking about and no one gets pissy when I add an 's' onto dollar.

People who refer to Euro's as YoYo's should be shot. In the orse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Isn't "oh" just another word for zero, nought etc?

What I don't get is, how in continetal europe, they always seem to right prices as
    19€99c
    It looks stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Lately it feels like I have. :( People say that " Oh" in place of the number zero LOTS. e.g. living in the Oh 1 area when they mean the 01 area (phone codes) etc. I know its pedantic but it irritates me. :)

Saying zero makes you sound like a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Daddy whats a euro?

Advertisement