Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Skeptical Environmentalist on Global warming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭zippy 99

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You made the claims, you give them some substance.

Hold on here, he claimed that our bodies are incapable of metabolising them, which I doubt.

So why would the government add flouride if it has no effect on us, good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

casey212 wrote: »

National Geographic channel is run by the CIA. .

just noticed this little gem from one of your earlier posts, after a hard day in the office this is just the type of thing to make me smile, well done and I hope you have a great weekend,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

djpbarry wrote:
    Hardly. If anything, there are far more attempts within the media to discredit the AGW theory than there are to reinforce it, particularly within the American media - check out FOX for example. Or who could forget Martin Durkin's ridiculous documentary on the subject on Channel 4?

Durkin is not any worse than Gore's white lies. Even one of Gore's science advisors (glaciologist Lonnie Thomson) is distancing himself from the movie.

D'ont forget Gore got a Oscar and the Peace Prize for his junk (I wonder if the peace prize was politically motivated)

Gore Scientific “Adviser” says that he has no “responsibility” for AIT errors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭fictionaire

djpbarry wrote: »
    Hardly. If anything, there are far more attempts within the media to discredit the AGW theory than there are to reinforce it, particularly within the American media - check out FOX for example. Or who could forget Martin Durkin's ridiculous documentary on the subject on Channel 4?

How do efforts to combat global warming "restrict your freedoms"? Surely measures such as improved energy efficiency are going to benefit humanity?

I've already explained why this petition is total nonsense.

Here is a list of names which I have taken from that site and search google scholar to see if they even come across as genuine:
    John Anderson
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=%22John+Anderson%22&btnG=Search

Richard Aasen Damerow
    http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=4667514

John P Sachs
    http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/jcisd8/1994/34/i02/f-pdf/f_ci00018a034.pdf?sessid=6006l3

Thats just a random three scientists out of that number. Why not give them a call and tell them that they are not scientists. I am sure they would be insulted, by your proving it as total non-sense.

Yes, I'd imagine there are a few names that are not actually scientists on the list.

I think all would agree, that from all sides not much is being proved in this discussion. (I include _everybody_ in that statement).

They don't. The HSE is ultimately responsible for the fluoridation of water supplies.

Can we get back on-topic now please?

The last time I checked the HSE was not a publicly private organisation. (although it sure acts like one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

piraka wrote: »
    Durkin is not any worse than Gore's white lies. Even one of Gore's science advisors (glaciologist Lonnie Thomson) is distancing himself from the movie.
    People forget that Al Gore is not a scientist. As he has said himself:
    "I am trying to communicate the essence of it in the lay language that I understand."
    He is inevitably going to make mistakes (I would hardly call them white lies). But to put Gore in the same category as Durkin is ridiculous - that guy set out to deliberately mislead as many people as possible with what can only be described as pure nonsense. Gore's errors were in the detail, Durkin's were in the fundamentals.
    Here is a list of names which I have taken from that site and search Google scholar to see if they even come across as genuine:
    John Anderson
    Taking "John Anderson" as an example:

There are two guys on that list by the name John Anderson, which is in itself a very common name (I know two myself). The Google search you did - which John Anderson did you find? The first? The second? Both? Neither? The point is you have no idea.

Even if we assume that these people are all scientists, that does not mean that they are all climatologists. I am a scientist, but that does not mean I am an expert on climate change.

Even if we go so far as to assume that all these people are scientists who are experts on climate change (and conduct research in the area), then where is all their research? Where are all their publications? If there are that many research scientists (19,000) who do not believe in the AGW theory, then surely there must be at least one paper out there disproving it?

People forget that Al Gore is not a scientist. As he has said himself:
    "I am trying to communicate the essence of it in the lay language that I understand."
    He is inevitably going to make mistakes (I would hardly call them white lies). But to put Gore in the same category as Durkin is ridiculous - that guy set out to deliberately mislead as many people as possible with what can only be described as pure nonsense. Gore's errors were in the detail, Durkin's were in the fundamentals.
    Taking "John Anderson" as an example:

There are two guys on that list by the name John Anderson, which is in itself a very common name (I know two myself). The Google search you did - which John Anderson did you find? The first? The second? Both? Neither? The point is you have no idea.

Even if we assume that these people are all scientists, that does not mean that they are all climatologists. I am a scientist, but that does not mean I am an expert on climate change.

Even if we go so far as to assume that all these people are scientists who are experts on climate change (and conduct research in the area), then where is all their research? Where are all their publications? If there are that many research scientists (19,000) who do not believe in the AGW theory, then surely there must be at least one paper out there disproving it?

The point of my post was to show that these guys are scientists. Who on the face of it have put their names and reputations in support of this petition.

Take a couple of names yourself and put them into google scholar and see what you get back. Sure, you'll get some pseudo scientists in there.

You do not have to be a climatologist to see that climate change is just a fresh air tax on the people of the developed world. It will ultimately restrict our childrens children right to create life. Thats what worries me.

Have you ( or anybody else for that matter) personally searched for papers that go against the concensus?

The point of my post was to show that these guys are scientists. Who on the face of it have put their names and reputations in support of this petition.

Take a couple of names yourself and put them into google scholar and see what you get back.
    The point of my post was to show that:
    • You do not know who these people are and, therefore, do not know that they are scientists
    • You do not know that the hits you get on Google refer to the same people (John Anderson, for example, is a very common name)
    If I were to put together a petition such as this, I would at least state what institution/company each petitioner is affiliated with so that people could find these individuals themselves. The fact that no details are given about each person makes me question the legitimacy of the petition.
    You do not have to be a climatologist to see that climate change is just a fresh air tax on the people of the developed world.
    Care to back that up with something?
    It will ultimately restrict our childrens children right to create life.
    :confused:
    I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.

I worry about the future too. Protecting the environment is obviously important to ensure the wellbeing of future generations.
    Have you ( or anybody else for that matter) personally searched for papers that go against the concensus?
    Yes, I have. There are plenty of web resources available for such a task. Here is just one.

The point of my post was to show that:
    • You do not know who these people are and, therefore, do not know that they are scientists
    • You do not know that the hits you get on Google refer to the same people (John Anderson, for example, is a very common name)

True, I dont know for certain. I should have searched for a less popular name, like those of the other two I took as examples.

Its a faith based system.
    If I were to put together a petition such as this, I would at least state what institution/company each petitioner is affiliated with so that people could find these individuals themselves. The fact that no details are given about each person makes me question the legitimacy of the petition.
    Care to back that up with something?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22896334-2,00.html
    The professor in question is a man called
    Professor Barry Walters [ http://tinyurl.com/yqe5ky ]

What has this guy, a Clinical Associate Professor
    School of Women's and Infants' Health, got to do with global warming?

Why has his opinions made it across the world? Maybe because of his qualifications?

People tend to listen to the letters more than than man. Which is sad no matter what side of the argument they take.

His statements have made the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
    They are not too far fetched. You only have to look at what the Party have accomplished in China to see that. But that is under a different label and can be interrupted as off topic here even though the results are the same.

Thanks for the link by the way! :)

Its a faith based system.
    My point exactly.
    What has this guy, a Clinical Associate Professor School of Women's and Infants' Health, got to do with global warming?
    Absolutely nothing (or very little anyway).
    Why has his opinions made it across the world? Maybe because of his qualifications?
    Possibly.
    People tend to listen to the letters more than than man.
    Then perhaps the people in question should take the time to educate themselves in the relevant topic rather than taking someone's (anyone's) word for it.
    They are not too far fetched.
    They are pretty far-fetched. Such a radical change in taxation policy would require a referendum in a country such as Ireland (for example), and it is highly unlikely that it would pass, seeing how ridiculously unfair (not to mention pseudo-scientific) it is - it is impossible to predict how much CO2 an individual person will emit (both directly and indirectly) over their lifetime. Besides, population control is hardly necessary in Australia - the guy is just a right-wing nut.

I’m not sure what the overall relevance of your post is?

• Advertisement

Then perhaps the people in question should take the time to educate themselves in the relevant topic rather than taking someone's (anyone's) word for it.

Experts researched based opinions are taken as gospel in todays world. You only have to look at people on a bus reading the metro etc.. to see that.
    Which means that for the most part our reasoning is done for us.

Its not easy to illuminate ones self in todays society.
    The average person is working too hard to make a decent living (after the myriad of taxes levied on our labour) for them and their loved ones.

So why not let the experts we read so much about do our reasoning for us? Nobody consciously agrees to this, it just taken as the norm.
    They are pretty far-fetched. Such a radical change in taxation policy would require a referendum in a country such as Ireland (for example), and it is highly unlikely that it would pass, seeing how ridiculously unfair (not to mention pseudo-scientific) it is - it is impossible to predict how much CO2 an individual person will emit (both directly and indirectly) over their lifetime. Besides, population control is hardly necessary in Australia - the guy is just a right-wing nut.

I’m not sure what the overall relevance of your post is?

I agree they are far fetched. But is has been implemented else where under different circumstances. None the less it was humans just like you and me that ultimately let it happen as they felt powerless to do anything about it.

I also agree, it would take a very long time if even, under current circumstances, for such a population control policy to implemented in Ireland and similar countries. However, it does not mean that it could not under any other circumstance come knocking on our door. We all know circumstances change all the time.

The relevance to my post was in reply to you asking what could I back up my claim with in regard to the next few generations could ending up in a situation where their write to create life is restricted due to a previous consensually perceived threat.

The first director general of unesco talked about this particular need to control the population by various means. Eugenics (Bio-ethics) I believe is the term.

These subjects are very relevant to the topic at hand as ultimately this is what it will come down to.

Experts researched based opinions are taken as gospel in todays world. You only have to look at people on a bus reading the metro etc.. to see that.
    Which means that for the most part our reasoning is done for us.
    I take your point, but what I am saying is that if people are not prepared to do a little research into what the paper says (especially The Metro), then, quite frankly, they're idiots and their opinions are worthless.

However, I would argue that a lot of people (not everyone) take more head of what celebrities say than what scientists say, which is even more worrying. If Beyoncé said that climate change is all a load of nonsense, then a whole load of people would take her word for it. I have no time for anyone who forms an opinion on anything without doing even a little research into the subject.
    Its not easy to illuminate ones self in todays society.
    Are you serious? What about the Internet? There's a whole wealth of information on there for anyone to view. The problem is most people just couldn't be bothered.
    The average person is working too hard to make a decent living (after the myriad of taxes levied on our labour) for them and their loved ones.
    The average working week is actually decreasing in length:
    http://www.tcd.ie/ERC/observatorydownloads/Changing%20Times.pdf
    The average Irish person has more free time now than they ever had - think of all the holidays that Irish people take every year. I myself remember my Dad working a 7-day week in the 80's - virtually unheard of these days.

I'm going to leave the population control talk because I think it's probably more of a humanities issue than a green one.

I take your point, but what I am saying is that if people are not prepared to do a little research into what the paper says (especially The Metro), then, quite frankly, they're idiots and their opinions are worthless.

However, I would argue that a lot of people (not everyone) take more head of what celebrities say than what scientists say, which is even more worrying. If Beyoncé said that climate change is all a load of nonsense, then a whole load of people would take her word for it. I have no time for anyone who forms an opinion on anything without doing even a little research into the subject.
    Are you serious? What about the Internet? There's a whole wealth of information on there for anyone to view. The problem is most people just couldn't be bothered.
    The average working week is actually decreasing in length:
    http://www.tcd.ie/ERC/observatorydownloads/Changing%20Times.pdf
    The average Irish person has more free time now than they ever had - think of all the holidays that Irish people take every year. I myself remember my Dad working a 7-day week in the 80's - virtually unheard of these days.

I'm going to leave the population control talk because I think it's probably more of a humanities issue than a green one.

I'd consider myself and average joe, and I find it very difficult to get the time to do what I'd really like. But I cannot be selfish with my time. I have to share my off time with family. Its not far fetched to say that this is typical picture. Travel - work - travel - family.... repeat.

Working time may be getting shorter, but it does not mean the average family member is no less busy. I often find myself commenting on how fast weekends go.

There is a considerable degree of overlap as humans are being labelled as the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You do not have to be a climatologist to see that climate change is just a fresh air tax on the people of the developed world.
    I'd consider myself and average joe, and I find it very difficult to get the time to do what I'd really like.
    So what you're saying is that on one hand, you don't have the time to study the problem properly. On the other hand, you reject the notion that those who've made a career out of studying the problem might actually know a bit more about it than you do.

Either you accept that the climate is too complex a beast for an aberage joe like yourself to properly appreciate and understand, or you don't need the time you bemoan not having.

bonkey wrote: »

So what you're saying is that on one hand, you don't have the time to study the problem properly. On the other hand, you reject the notion that those who've made a career out of studying the problem might actually know a bit more about it than you do.

Either you accept that the climate is too complex a beast for an average joe like yourself to properly appreciate and understand, or you don't need the time you bemoan not having.

If only life was so black and white.

I didn't say that I do not have the time to study this problem properly. I dont have the time to study other topics I'd like to.

On the contrary I have taken a considerable amount of time to study the societal fallout from it. My motive for this stems from it being the only day-to-day observable consequence of global warming.

I would much appreciate somebody pointing out to me a manifestation of the problem that I can observe for myself in my day-to-day life relation to this theory.

Can anybody tell me where this greening movement started?

On the contrary I have taken a considerable amount of time to study the societal fallout from it.
    The societal fallout has nothing to do with whether or not climatologists are correct.

You have argued that climate change is "just a fresh air tax on the developed world". It may be true that there is a "fresh-air tax" as a result of our being aware of the issue, but that's not quite the same thing.
    My motive for this stems from it being the only day-to-day observable consequence of global warming.
    If you were analyzed with being in the early stage of some debilitating diseasse in the morning, what would you do?

Would you:

a) Rationalise that you feel the same today as you have done any other day, and you don't exhibit any problematic symptoms, and therefore any action taken is just someone trying to scam your hard-earned money off you because there's no problem.
    or
    b) Rationalise that there is a coming problem which will get progresively harder and more expensive to treat, and which will ultimately result in serious impacts on your life?
    I would much appreciate somebody pointing out to me a manifestation of the problem that I can observe for myself in my day-to-day life relation to this theory.

This suggests that were you unfortunate enough to experience the situation I describe above, you would go for 'a', given that no-one could show you the problem that was being caused today. That they could tell you there was a high probability of serious problems in the future if you didn't take action today is, apparently, not a sufficient reason for you to do anything about it.

If, however, you think you would go for option b, then ask yourself why the reasoning you used to reach that conclusion doesn't apply to the problem of anthropogenic global warming.

Climate change, as the name suggests, refers to changes in climate, not changes in weather. No one single event or day-to-day change can be attributed to climate change - it is long-term trends that are important.

The societal fallout has nothing to do with whether or not climatologists are correct.

I disagree. Policy makers are using climatologists' findings to justify green policies.
    bonkey wrote:
    You have argued that climate change is "just a fresh air tax on the developed world". It may be true that there is a "fresh-air tax" as a result of our being aware of the issue, but that's not quite the same thing.

In both cases the end result is the same.

bonkey wrote:
    If you were analyzed with being in the early stage of some debilitating diseasse in the morning, what would you do?

Would you:

a) Rationalise that you feel the same today as you have done any other day, and you don't exhibit any problematic symptoms, and therefore any action taken is just someone trying to scam your hard-earned money off you because there's no problem.
    or
    b) Rationalise that there is a coming problem which will get progresively harder and more expensive to treat, and which will ultimately result in serious impacts on your life?

This suggests that were you unfortunate enough to experience the situation I describe above, you would go for 'a', given that no-one could show you the problem that was being caused today. That they could tell you there was a high probability of serious problems in the future if you didn't take action today is, apparently, not a sufficient reason for you to do anything about it.

If, however, you think you would go for option b, then ask yourself why the reasoning you used to reach that conclusion doesn't apply to the problem of anthropogenic global warming.

All this hangs on premise that the expert who does the diagnosis is 100% correct in their findings. You need to have faith in them before, the rationalisation process will begin. After that point the fallout (in either direction ) has to be dealt with by the recipient.

This, I think you'd label as 'c' - shooting the messenger.
    In the case of Global Warming, I want to see the proof and not model results concerning the future before joining the concensus and participating in the restrictions the concensus employs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Global Warming is a socialist run attempt to dethrone the capitalist powerhouses of the world.

It is a sad attempt to make the lazy unambitious people feel wanted.
    Continue producing big cars, continue producing productive factories, its what the ambitious people deserve, those who have made goals in life and wish to achieve them wit the greatest efficienct possible.

There is no skeptic or non skeptic, there is the truth, the socialists have failed and will fail until they open their eyes.

PS- How much profit did Al Gore make from his recent Global Warming movie???
    He certainly wasnt any shorter in the pocket afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

TBH Population control is the mother of all the green issues. Every part of the green movement is a reaction to the demands of population explosion.
    Climate change, as the name suggests, refers to changes in climate, not changes in weather. No one single event or day-to-day change can be attributed to climate change - it is long-term trends that are important.

Granted, but due to our excessive civil Engineering and machinisation of our environment, based on rainfall tables, wind charts etc. The impacts of slight changes in day to day values can upset our supply chains and production systems. So while the long term changes look slight, the impact to day day life is multiplied by our own systems vulnerability and dependence on our current stable climate.
    (In this I am making reference to rainfall charts 100 year storms etc, used in every civil engineering design. Wind charts, not quite as important, rainfall trends important to agricultural production, planting/harvesting times etc.)
    It is very difficult to assess exactly how severe the impacts of predicted changes are, due to the complex demand based systems, But it is very naive to draw the conclusion that we are immune to the power of the weather.

As for continuing as is, It is clearly unsustainable, That is plainly obvious unless you have a convenient infinite source of controllable energy that you are keeping quite. In any history book I've read, civilizations that continue down unsustainable lifestyles end up in ruin, Maybe somebody will come up with a miracle solution, but TBH I'm with Rob Newman on this one.

KERPAL wrote: »
    Global Warming is a socialist run attempt to dethrone the capitalist powerhouses of the world.
    Considering the huge "capitalist" potential in "green" technologies, I find this hard to believe.
    So while the long term changes look slight, the impact to day day life is multiplied by our own systems vulnerability and dependence on our current stable climate.

It is very difficult to assess exactly how severe the impacts of predicted changes are, due to the complex demand based systems, But it is very naive to draw the conclusion that we are immune to the power of the weather.
    That is not what I was saying at all. My comment was in response to another poster who wishes to identify observable day-to-day changes as proof that global warming is taking place.

I am not suggesting for a second that relatively minor changes in our weather patterns cannot have massive implications.

Can anybody tell me where this greening movement started?

Club of Rome I believe.

They were searching for something to control the masses with.

They considered all sorts of options but decided on the environment.

Save poor old mother earth.

zippy 99 wrote: »
    Club of Rome I believe.

They were searching for something to control the masses with.

They considered all sorts of options but decided on the environment.

Can any others confirm this? Or produce something to back up this claim?

The first reference to the environment I've read was by the british economist Thomas Maltus in An Essay on the Principle of Population (1798)
    Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio. Subsistence increases only in an arithmetical ratio.
    --Thomas Malthus

The Club of Rome comissioned a book in 1972, entitled "Limits to Growth" which was, in a very real way, the first scientifically backed work to challenge the assumption of (effectively) limitless exponential growth, and rather took a stance that within 30-50 years, the models would fail.

Zippy has previously referred to a comment made in a 1991 publication by the Club of Rome referring to decisions made in their past, which were based on the assumption that if humanity didn't have a perceived enemy, one would come into existence. The CoR believed that it was better to "push" one rather than to allow one to be created, and so set about identifying one real or imaginary which they could champion.

This additionally seems to be a basis for some to argue that the whole environmental movement is a con - that because the CoR admitted that it would accept an imaginary enemy, this enemy is imaginary. Of course, the CoR also admitted, in teh same breath, that it would accept a real enemy...but we don't get a reason why this shouldn't lead us to conclude that environmental issues are real.

Limits To Growth is often seen as a major startingpoint for the modern politcally-active "Green" movement. Sure, you can find people before that who've made green comments, but as a populist, active movement, its not unreasonable to see the CoR as being fundamental to its inception.

You would rather we let the whole planet go to hell?

You would rather we let the whole planet go to hell?

Hell, originating from the old nordic word 'hella', meaning earth.

The planet is already there ;)

The Club of Rome comissioned a book in 1972, entitled "Limits to Growth" which was, in a very real way, the first scientifically backed work to challenge the assumption of (effectively) limitless exponential growth, and rather took a stance that within 30-50 years, the models would fail.

Zippy has previously referred to a comment made in a 1991 publication by the Club of Rome referring to decisions made in their past, which were based on the assumption that if humanity didn't have a perceived enemy, one would come into existence. The CoR believed that it was better to "push" one rather than to allow one to be created, and so set about identifying one real or imaginary which they could champion.

This additionally seems to be a basis for some to argue that the whole environmental movement is a con - that because the CoR admitted that it would accept an imaginary enemy, this enemy is imaginary. Of course, the CoR also admitted, in teh same breath, that it would accept a real enemy...but we don't get a reason why this shouldn't lead us to conclude that environmental issues are real.

Limits To Growth is often seen as a major startingpoint for the modern politcally-active "Green" movement. Sure, you can find people before that who've made green comments, but as a populist, active movement, its not unreasonable to see the CoR as being fundamental to its inception.

I love all the accepting and allowing of enemies that you speak.

A knowledge of the club of rome publications would indicate to any sentient person that this environment push is largely propaganda and a means of controling the plebs.

A old saying goes, force something on the masses and they are likely to revolt, but by making them want it (through propaganda), you can not only keep them supressed, but you can also charge them for it.

So here we are with everyone calling for all sorts of environmental means to be put in place, people are literally calling for an extra ball and chain, only they are too indoctrinated to realise.

Hell, originating from the old nordic word 'hella', meaning earth.

The planet is already there ;)
    Eh, no...

The English word "Hell" is most likely derived from the name of the Norse ruler of the evil dead, Hel.

So, care to answer the question?

• Advertisement

By the same token, we also do not get a reason to believe it is real. It leaves alot of room for argument. However, the full impact of the book only comes into light when you understand the persons who make up the CoR and their motives in other spheres of life. How they are associated with, what the have said on previous occasions.

The excerpt from the book is:
    "In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill ...All these dangers are caused by human intervention
    and it is only through changed attitudes and behaviour that they can be overcome. The real enemy, then, is humanity itself."
    - Club of Rome, "The First Global Revolution", consultants to the UN.

Besides why do this particular think tank what to unite us? And under what? Does this not mean that weither a real or imaginary threat exists, it still is going to unite us? Therefore the means is not the actual focus of the quote.

Advertisement