Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Season Madness!!!!

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

So guys, who's going where in the off season?? As a Red Sox fan, i just hope we re-sign Mikey Lowell.. 12m a year for 3 years will get it done and i reckon its a better investment than 30m a year for A-rod for 8/10 years (supposed contract length Boras is looking for!!!)

What about the other free agents?? Its a skinny pool this year, and the winter meetings could provide a few trades (Johan Santana anybody!!!)...

p.s, just joined this website, great to be able to talk baseball with people who actually understand the game!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

I can tell you this much, I'm bored of the A-Rod story all ready and how his agent Boras seems to scare more people than John Gotti! He'll end up with the Dodgers I suspect, only place big enough for his ego.

I think Johan Santana will go to the Yankees. Lowell will resign with the Sox. Other than that, can't see much else at the moment. Unless 2/3 teams put together a blockbuster trade with different players going in each direction, think it could be a quiet off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Not sure if the yankees will give up the players they will have to in order to get santana (like hughes or chamberlain).. Other teams can start offering contracts to free agents tommorrow so we'll see if Mike Lowell gets a 4 year offer from somewhere.. Dont see the sox giving him more than 3 years, and not sure if he will accept it.. should be interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

See pedroia got rookie of the year? well deserved i think, elsbury and himself stood out in the WS and didnt choke at all. Id love it if mikey lowell signed on again, the guy is a hero. A rod will go to the dodgers, they waste too much money on people that arent worth it, A rod though i think would fit in in LA quite easily. Ihope Noone signs clemens, the guy just doesnt win games anymore, see how much the yanks paid for him for half a seasons work which he was injured for the best part of?

A-Rod in talks with yankees who won't let Boras in on the talks!!! Unreal, i reckon its a ploy by a-rod and Boras to get other interested teams to up their offers.. Wonder if the sox start to get into talks, seems like Lowell will not be staying (he wants 4 years and will not get them from sox)

Looks like Mike Lowell agreed to 3 years with the sox. great stuff.. another 3 years of watching a true pro.. fair play to him not getting too greedy and taking a 4 year offer elsewhere..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Big sigh of relief on the Mike Lowell situation! The Red Sox would have ben crazy to let him go to another team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The Jays made a blockbuster deal for none other than Marco Scutaro...Watch out AL East!
    Seriously though, next year is Toronto's time...Awesome line-up, awesome rotation, awesome bullpen. The total package!

Not sure about that!!!! Think the jays are a little bit off yet.. BJ Ryan has to be a big question mark coming back from injury, although Burnett could have a huge season (once him and gibbons aren't fighting again!).. If Santana goes to Sox or Yankees they would have to be big favourites for the title next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Red Sox front runners for Santana now, with Crisp, Lester and two prospects going the other way. Beckett-Santana-DiceK-Schilling-Wakefield, that would be some rotation.

No chance sox get them with Crisp in deal i'd say. Twins dont seem interested in him. Hard to know if Sox really want him bad or are making sure yankees pay alot to get him.. Would like to see Sox go for Dan Haren who is a much cheaper alternative.. Yanks need Santana alot more and will probably get him. Yankee stadium would suit him much more than fenway too with the bigger left field area..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If the Sox get Santana, they could be the baseball equivalent of the Patriots-not actually something I'd like to see. I don't want them to give up Ellsbury to get Santana-but all the other chips mentioned are expendable as far as I am concerned (despite his defence Crisp has been a bust, Lester is a tremendous feel-good story, and a 'nice' pitcher, but he is not a No. 1 or even a No. 2 starter at this point, Lowrie and Masterson/Bowden might be good.

Of course he could be the second coming of Pedro, but that was a different time...

If the Yanks get Santana, it could be hard to separate themselves and the Sox next year depending on (a) how Santana adjusts to NYC; (b) whether or not he is on the way down (scouts have noticed that he throws his slider less then before...); and (c) what they have to give up to get him.

While the Blue Jays will be competitive and take games off both the Sox and Yanks, they will not contend for the AL East or the Wild Card. Quote this line back to me next September if I'm wrong-not before that.

The Angels have made some nice moves to address their glaring deficiencies (a little power hitting with more to come perhaps), and if Bedard or Haren goes to an AL contender, they could make quite a difference, ditto Cabrera.

My AL power rankings as of now:

1. Red Sox
    2. Angels
    3. Indians
    4. Yankees
    5. Tigers
    6. Seattle

Uh-oh, Tigers trade for Cabrera AND Willis!!! If Willis rebounds and Zumaya ever gets healthy again, they will be serious contenders.

If willis can be effective and no reason why he wont be, you may just have to bump them up to No1.. that lineup looks filthy and the rotation of Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, Robertson and Rogers is a very good one. Have to be new favs for the world series.. unless Sox do get Santana!! Think the Angels really overpaid Hunter, it was a big splash to show they are serious but not really a great one. He's a good bat but projects more as a no 5 or 6 hitter than a no 3 or cleanup hitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

yankees out of the race- unable to agree a deal with the twins. looks like it will be the red sox, although they still seem to be on a different wavelength to the twins at the moment

Jeez-Dodgers make Andruw Jones player with 5th highest average salary.

Wow-this from a guy with a 222 average last year. But he is a great candidate for Comeback Player of the Year......

I like Willis alright, but he is still a AAAA pitcher coming over to the AL-although Beckett won a good enough number of games in his first year in Boston, he gave up a bunch of HR and had a sucky enough ERA. Willis also had run support of over 6 a game last year, and was still poor. But hey, less pressure in Detroit (he's not the ace at the moment) and better working environment (this is a team with veterans that wants to win).

The Tigers lineup is great, but there are still issues (Bonderman's 2nd half to last year, Willis' 2nd half to last year, Zumaya's shoulder, Todd Jones......and Rentaria was a bust the last time he was in the AL.

Surely the runner up in the Santana stakes goes after Haran or Bedard? Not a good spot to be in though, as the pressure to make a deal for one of those pitchers ups the price if you don't get Santana.

So Mets agree deal with Twins for Santana.. They have until Friday to reach an agreement.. Probably worked out well for the Sox as they didnt have to give up alot of prospects and money.. Cant help but feel that the Twins didnt get as much as they hoped for.. Maybe they should have accepted earlier offers from either Sox/Yankees around the winter meetings, which both seem to be better than what they got. Not a great start to Bill Smith's tenure as a GM.. He probably thought he'd get alot more (maybe if George Steinbrenner was still around he would have!!) and will probably face some backlash from fans. Although to be fair to him, it was never going to be easy for him, because of that huge extension teams had to give Santana..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Redsoxfan wrote: »

While the Blue Jays will be competitive and take games off both the Sox and Yanks, they will not contend for the AL East or the Wild Card. Quote this line back to me next September if I'm wrong-not before that.

The Angels have made some nice moves to address their glaring deficiencies (a little power hitting with more to come perhaps), and if Bedard or Haren goes to an AL contender, they could make quite a difference, ditto Cabrera.

My AL power rankings as of now:

1. Red Sox
    2. Angels
    3. Indians
    4. Yankees
    5. Tigers
    6. Seattle

We will! ;) Look forward to it....

zuutroy wrote: »
    The Jays made a blockbuster deal for none other than Marco Scutaro...Watch out AL East!
    Seriously though, next year is Toronto's time...Awesome line-up, awesome rotation, awesome bullpen. The total package!

With everyone fit, it's the best pitching staff from ace to closer, from starting rotation to bullpen. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Kinda32 wrote: »
    So Mets agree deal with Twins for Santana.. They have until Friday to reach an agreement.. Probably worked out well for the Sox as they didnt have to give up alot of prospects and money.. Cant help but feel that the Twins didnt get as much as they hoped for.. Maybe they should have accepted earlier offers from either Sox/Yankees around the winter meetings, which both seem to be better than what they got. Not a great start to Bill Smith's tenure as a GM.. He probably thought he'd get alot more (maybe if George Steinbrenner was still around he would have!!) and will probably face some backlash from fans. Although to be fair to him, it was never going to be easy for him, because of that huge extension teams had to give Santana..

I'm happy the Sox didn't get Santana, $100 million plus over 6 or 7 years for a pitcher? I know he's one of the very best lefties around but that's too much money and time to commit on one arm. And I think giving up Ellsbury and Buchholz as well would not have been a good idea.

Also, the Yankees didn't get him either :)

mod9maple wrote: »
    We will! ;) Look forward to it....

Not another one!

I don't think David Eckstein is the answer!

• Advertisement

Not another one!

I don't think David Eckstein is the answer!

Blue Jays loyal!

We'll see....;)

Bedard to Mariners.

Didn't see enough of Adam Jones to know how good he is. Sherrill a solid set up guy.

Adam Jones is going to be top class.. Some prospect.. both teams get alot out of it.. Mariners contend now and Orioles rebuild getting 5 players, which they need to do. Agree Sherill is good pitcher, capable of being solid bullpen material..

Red Sox sign Bartolo 'Colon' to a minor league deal. Surely one of these re-treads is going to pay off (Wade Miller, Matt Mantei, Ramiro Mendoza....) has to work out-maybe it will be 'Colon'?

I doubt it.

In fairness it is a pretty low risk signing. Not expecting too much out of it, maybe just a insurance policy against bucholtz struggling or an injury. Colon wont be ready to start the season and they get a bit of time to evaluate him. Thought Sox would get a pitcher in a trade for Crisp but it looks like there is not much out there for him. I'm surprised as he is a top defensive CF and has alot of upside on offense. All it may take for him to be hitting well again is maybe a move away from Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Shannon Stewart back to Toronto. One of the originals from when I started watching baseball! Him and Halladay are the only two!....I suppose its an OK move given that Reed Johnson wasn't up to much when he came back from injury but I think he's quite resentful of the lack of confidence they're showing in him which may overall hurt the team.

Kinda32 wrote: »
    In fairness it is a pretty low risk signing. Not expecting too much out of it, maybe just a insurance policy against bucholtz struggling or an injury. Colon wont be ready to start the season and they get a bit of time to evaluate him. Thought Sox would get a pitcher in a trade for Crisp but it looks like there is not much out there for him. I'm surprised as he is a top defensive CF and has alot of upside on offense. All it may take for him to be hitting well again is maybe a move away from Boston.

I agree it's low risk, but....

- Schilling is on the shelf (and possibly finished);
    - Wakefield is possibly on a downhill slope;
    - Buchlolz and Lester haven't yet pitched a full season;
    - Beckett could have had his career year last year;
    - Dice-K could be a bust
    - Injuries do happen

So they may have to rely on Colon at some stage, and possibly sooner than they would like (especially if they don't get another pitcher in a trade)-remember 2005? And I would like one of these 'projects' to work out at some stage-it would be nice if it were Colon.

Wrt Crisp, everyone knows the Sox are shopping him, so I'm sure I wouldn't be rushing to make a deal if I was a rival GM, specially when it's very likely Ellsbury will be opening day starter and then Crisp will become 'cheaper' to acquire....

I agree it's low risk, but....

- Schilling is on the shelf (and possibly finished);
    - Wakefield is possibly on a downhill slope;
    - Buchlolz and Lester haven't yet pitched a full season;
    - Beckett could have had his career year last year;
    - Dice-K could be a bust
    - Injuries do happen

So they may have to rely on Colon at some stage, and possibly sooner than they would like (especially if they don't get another pitcher in a trade)-remember 2005? And I would like one of these 'projects' to work out at some stage-it would be nice if it were Colon.

Wrt Crisp, everyone knows the Sox are shopping him, so I'm sure I wouldn't be rushing to make a deal if I was a rival GM, specially when it's very likely Ellsbury will be opening day starter and then Crisp will become 'cheaper' to acquire....

Sure every team could be analysed in the same manner. Beckett is an ace and I reckon Dice K will be fine, Lester should produce a solid season and Bucholtz will pitch at a decent level. Wakefield looks to be back to full health and is usually guaranteed for 30 starts. Add to that, that the opening few weeks have quiet a few off days, meaning that starters will get plenty of rest then its fine. Most teams will end up having 7-8 guys starting during the season (at least) so not too worried really. Colon has tremendous upside as he is signed to a minor league deal and could provide some innings as a number 5 starter in may/june if the sox decide to rest Bucholtz and/or Lester.

Agree that Crisp isnt going to fetch alot, it may be better to wait until some team loses a starter to injury (Padres and Jim Edmonds for example) and then they will be in a stronger position...

So 2 weeks later:

-Beckett is injured
    -Dice-K is still running up his pitch count
    -Lester and Bucholz look, well, not great (even though Lester pitched well against Johan today)
    - Wakefield looks good
    - and..........................

Bartolo is the 'Ace in the hole'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Shiza! Beckett better not fly to Japan for the opener! 17 hour flight? Ouch.

Advertisement