Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student rate into cinema without being a student!

Options
  • 18-06-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Just a little observation that I made. I have a valid student card myself so doesn't make a difference, but might be worth a try for you working folk...

I have tried this at Omniplex Galway and Eye Galway and both worked fine.

Cinemas in Galway are VERY strict about asking for student card if you say '1/2 students to XX please'

What I noticed. Buy your student tickets online beforehand with your credit/debit card. There can be a saving of up to 4euro per ticket here. There is a €1 fee for booking online, but you're still saving.

Then into the cinema, collect your tickets, and Bob's your uncle :D

I book my tickets online lots for some reason, never (in 2 years) been asked for student ID (But do have one incase I ever was challenged) Maybe some people could try in other cinemas and see if it works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

liffey valley wont let you book students on the internet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

well cineworld and dundrum @movies do let you do this-
    maybe worth the risk but i'd feel like a bit of a tool if i was called on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

chump wrote:
    well cineworld and dundrum @movies do let you do this-
    maybe worth the risk but i'd feel like a bit of a tool if i was called on it

Just search your pockets and say you didn't even think to bring it, going to the cinema is expensive enough as it is, even if I don't (have lost many times my ID) have my ID i'd still do it... give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

If you want to save money, forget about getting a cheap ticket and buy your soft drinks and popcorn in the newsagent beforehand. You'll save much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

wba88 wrote:

Eh yep they do :)

Well for the last 6 months or so anyway,

Plus u can get the student prices at the machines just as you go in.

I have been doing this too for last while, have gone about 20 times and never seen stopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Ha Ha - reminds me of the days when a trip to the local shop to fill ur pockets with sweets and a can was the place to go before the cinema! :)

The price of movies these days is rediculous though.

BTW, the www.omniplex.ie site doesn't seem to have an option of "student"! :)

Laslo wrote:
    If you want to save money, forget about getting a cheap ticket and buy your soft drinks and popcorn in the newsagent beforehand. You'll save much more.

Ah now you're just spoiling it, I love the cinema popcorn. You're right about the Coke though, might be a cheaparse and buy a bottle before I go in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I just use a fake ID ;) I hate it when counter staff inspect it, as if it's them that lose the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Cineworld allow it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Same deal with IMC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

boreds wrote:
    I just use a fake ID ;) I hate it when counter staff inspect it, as if it's them that lose the money.
    I work in a cinema. Floor staff are instructed to ask every time and in doing so to look at the name and picture, as often you will get a group of people in a queue that get the first person to come to the counter and use their student id, and then pass it back to the person behind them on the sly!

I agree though that prices of food/tickets is ridiculous, but I have to work somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

apeking wrote:
    wba88 wrote:
    Eh yep they do :)
    Can I get a petite blonde, must be over 19. kthxnby

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ha.. Victor.. brillant!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In the eye they don't even look at my id card, maybe different people are strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If you're in Dublin just get the Cineworld pass and you save loads (provided you go to the cinema regularly and buy your drinks in the newsagents beforehand)

Mirror wrote:
    I work in a cinema

Why are cinema staff such tight w4nkers about it? It's not like it's coming out of their pocket. I realise it may not be the same everywhere, but in the Omniplex/Eye in Galway, i've ALWAYS been asked when buying at the counter, once I forgot it and they wouldnt give me student rate, eventhough th eGF had a valid student card. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Liffey Valley let you book cinema ticket on the internet, that's what I always do. Also they never check :)

JohnCleary wrote:
    Why are cinema staff such tight w4nkers about it? It's not like it's coming out of their pocket. I realise it may not be the same everywhere, but in the Omniplex/Eye in Galway, i've ALWAYS been asked when buying at the counter, once I forgot it and they wouldnt give me student rate, eventhough th eGF had a valid student card. The mind boggles!
    Did you seriously just read the first five words of my post and then question me about it?? Read the rest of the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Ha nice one op

Mirror wrote:
    Did you seriously just read the first five words of my post and then question me about it?? Read the rest of the post!

Ah wasn't asking you DIRECTLY, but thought you may be able to answer it :o Like does the boss threaten to fire you or something if you let someone in at a student rate without a student ID? Serious question....

cabla wrote:
    Ha nice one op

I do try my best. I have a few other little nice things like this, just cant think of them off hands atm

• Advertisement

Well on a once off you obviously wouldn't lose your job, but if I were to repeatedly sell student rate tickets then yes, most definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've noticed the same thing with the Eye, it's great. But a I'm a student, I'll only book if I think it'll be sold out by the time I get there, so it actually costs me more via the €1 fee.
    But I also work on an entrance to a business, and f**k me the joke gets very old very quickly "huh huh c'n I get two students, a chil' and two OAPs, huh huh huh," so I tend to get a bit bitter about it and check every id. Looks straight for the date, and then the image.
    To be honest, I can't see why a student would not carry their valid id. It's one of the best things about being a student, FFS, the discounts we get, and we all know we only get them if we have the ID. Sure you nearly have to go out of your way to not have it with you, as it's always in the wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i just ask "are you a student?" kinda forcefully, they usually get the message, cheaper tickets for all!
    but if a manager or supervisor caught me selling student tickets without checking a student card, yeah, id have the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Wow, not that anyone ever checks me, but I usually give my friends free or half in, and I don't have an option for disabled people, so they get the student rate too. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say anything if they saw me give a student rate for someone without a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Maybe the cinemas are not so pushed because they don't make much off the ticket price anyway. They're happy to have the place full of "students" so long as they're buying expensive coke and popcorn

Slightly off-topic but I used to sell tickets for Irish Rail. The variety of fake, out-of-date, picture changed student cards was amazing, not to mention the people trying to use their dead granny's OAP free travel :eek:

Advertisement