Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Query

Options
  • 28-04-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just wondering of anyone knows the best kind of remote application out there. I want to Connect to my Laptop at home from around the country via another laptop. I know there is an application called Real VNC, but I am aware that you have to be on the same internal network in order for that to work.
    I know there is PC Anywhere, but that appears too complicated.

Windows has its own built in Remote Desktop Application, will this work for me...

Any Ideas on a tidy simple to use application??

Thanks.....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I know there is an application called Real VNC, but I am aware that you have to be on the same internal network in order for that to work.

Absolutely not true....

Real VNC works exceptionally well over any network, internal or external.
    I use it all the time for remote access to my machines when away from base & for remote support calls. You do need to port forward on your router to get the full benefit though.

Logmein is also very easy to setup & use. I have it on a number of customers machines & found that it all but sets itself up, I never had to port forward using it. One thing to bare in mind though, if you ever have a need to transfer files back & forth, the free version of Logmein does not support it, only the Pro version will.

There is also another one called Tight VNC which is supposed to be very good too but I have never used it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

There is also remote desktop which comes with xp pro and windows 2000 server. It's quite good and very simple. Tightvnc is probably the way to go though. Available for windows and linux, very versitile and simple. The resolution you get will depend on your bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

(snip)
    Absolutely not true....
    Real VNC works exceptionally well over any network, internal or external.
    I use it all the time for remote access to my machines when away from base & for remote support calls. You do need to port forward on your router to get the full benefit though.

Never knew that - good point. More on this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tranceenigma

Ok so Tight VNC appears to be more efficient & advanced than the Real VNC.
    If I am able to use Real VNC to connect to machines across the internet, why get so complicated etc...
    I have an internal LAN at home with all machines using Real VNC, no problems there. How exactly does one connect back to my machine at home if I were to travel with my laptop. Am I using my public email address etc or what.
    I Have tried looking for setup Docs on the internet on this but find it hard to get a laymans term on it.
    Finally, how could one use Windows Remote Desktop Application to do this, is it done similar to that of the Real VNC setup??

Thanks for the Advice.....

• Advertisement

Ok so Tight VNC appears to be more efficient & advanced than the Real VNC.
    If I am able to use Real VNC to connect to machines across the internet, why get so complicated etc...
    I have an internal LAN at home with all machines using Real VNC, no problems there. How exactly does one connect back to my machine at home if I were to travel with my laptop. Am I using my public email address etc or what.
    I Have tried looking for setup Docs on the internet on this but find it hard to get a laymans term on it.
    Finally, how could one use Windows Remote Desktop Application to do this, is it done similar to that of the Real VNC setup??

Thanks for the Advice.....

When you install Real VNC you get the option to install both the "Server" & the "Viewer".
    The server must be installed & running on the target machine (Your PC @ home) and the viewer should be installed on your laptop.

When you want to connect to a remote PC (your PC @ home) you would type the WAN IP of your home PC into the viewer on the laptop.

Some points to note:

Don't confuse your "Internal IP" with you "WAN IP". Your WAN IP is actually your "External IP" & you can find out what your WAN IP is by going to this Website: http://www.mywanip.com/ This site also has a neat little download which runs in your system tray & lets you check your WAN IP from there if you want. Your WAN IP can also be found on the Admin page of your router.

Your PC's IP Address looks something like 192.168.x.x Whereas your WAN IP would be something like 89.100.xxx.xx

TIP:
    When you hover your mouse over the VNC icon in the system tray it displays your IP address. This is the internal IP of your machine & not the external WAN IP needed to connect from a remote location.

You also need to know that most Internet providers don't supply you with a "Static IP", They supply a Dynamic IP, because of this your WAN IP can change from time to time or when you restart your modem/router it can change too.

It would also be prudent to setup your home PC with a "Static internal IP"
    This is not very difficult and you can get all the Info on that from here: (I'm assuming that you are using XP) http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

It is also possible to connect to a remote computer via Real VNC using any Web Browser. For example, let's say you were at a remote location where you had access to a PC with Internet access but that Real VNC viewer was not installed, you could use the Web browser to connect to your PC @ home.

For example: If your WAN IP(on you home PC) was 89.100.45.678 that's exactly what you would type into the VNC Viewer to connect.
    But if you had no viewer available & wanted to connect using a Web Browser you would enter the following into the Browsers address bar
    http://89.100.45.678:5800
    It's not absolutely necessary to include the :5800 in the above url as it will work with or without it, I'm including it to try to impress upon you the difference between the two ports 5800 & 5900

Note: you must have Java installed for the Browser option to work.

Setup:

You need to setup "Port Forwarding" on your router in order to be able to access your machine form a remote location. You also need to forward the relevant ports for both UDP & TCP
    Again you can get the Info on this here:
    http://www.portforward.com

Real VNC uses ports 5800 & 5900 for remote access.
    Port 5900 is the one used for access using the Real VNC Viewer option.
    Port 5800 is the one used for access using the Web Browser option.

I found all this a little confusing at the start, but believe me it's not too hard at all to setup. Once you get it working, it works exceptionally well.

Just as a by the way:
    Let's say for argument sake that you were at a remote location & you didn't know your current WAN IP, if you had the little download I mentioned above installed in the system tray, you could phone home & ask someone to click on it & give you the WAN IP.

Even better still, Let's say that due to a power outage or something, that your router got restarted & your WAN IP changed? There is a program called [URL="[URL=http://ipmailer.wappu.tv/]IPMailer[/URL]"][/url]IPMailer & it emails you the new WAN IP anytime your current WAN IP changes (Very handy believe me) & if you really wanted to be clever? you could use an email address from a mobile provider such as Vodafone & get it to TXT you when the email is sent.

So, to recap:
    Install RealVNC on your home PC.
    Forward ports 5800 & 5900 on your router. (remember to do both for UDP & TCP)
    Setup a static IP on your home PC (Optional).
    Install VNC viewer on your laptop (or use your Browser).
    Record your WAN IP.
    And away you go.

Really & truly though,
    the best way to get this up & running is to find someone at a remote location who is willing to help & preferably with both of you using Skype so that you can actually try it out & be fully confident that you have it all working well.
    That's how I done it originally & I've never looked back ;)

Anyway, that's enough waffle from me for now, I hope it gives you a better idea of how it all works. :)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

kudos to gadgetman496

most illuminating

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

beolight wrote:
    kudos to gadgetman496

most illuminating

I second that - that was an outstanding explanation gadgetman496!

/applause

Respect gadgetman496,

Appreciate your time & expertise on this one....

Ok Everyone,

Ill have to pick your brains On this once again. Based on what gadgetman496 recomended Iwent ahead and setup everything.

Basically to explain my setup, I am using Wireless Broadband from Permanet. It is a 1mb connection.
    Mesh Antenna on roof, Coax cable coming down form my attic into a modem, Model & Make: Arris WM450.

On from that I have a Linksys Wireless Router: WRT54GSV4, this I have configured correctly with the port forwarding etc.

I assume I dont touch the Arris as its only a modem??

I then tested my connection from a hotel room to my house & it would not connect either via web for the VNC app.

I then tried pinging my public ip address from a CMD prompt & its only times out?

Any suggestions??

• Advertisement

Ok Everyone,

Ill have to pick your brains On this once again. Based on what gadgetman496 recomended Iwent ahead and setup everything.

Basically to explain my setup, I am using Wireless Broadband from Permanet. It is a 1mb connection.
    Mesh Antenna on roof, Coax cable coming down form my attic into a modem, Model & Make: Arris WM450.

On from that I have a Linksys Wireless Router: WRT54GSV4, this I have configured correctly with the port forwarding etc.

I assume I dont touch the Arris as its only a modem??

I then tested my connection from a hotel room to my house & it would not connect either via web for the VNC app.

I then tried pinging my public ip address from a CMD prompt & its only times out?

Any suggestions??

What security software are you using?
    Have you checked your Firewall to make sure that you have allowed VNC?

What IP Address did you use to port forward?

It should be the Internal IP of the machine the router is connected to.
    Hold your mouse over the VNC icon in the system tray to see this IP

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that on the Linksys The enable box must be checked to activate the port forward???

The Linksys may also have a filter setting called "Block WAN Request" if it has? this should be set to "Disable"

Test it by going to
    www.GoToMyVNC.com
    Run the scan there.
    If it can detect your VNC Server at that IP Address (Your WAN IP), you should be able to connect via any VNC Viewer to that IP Address as well.

This is Portforward.coms instructions for your router:
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GSv4/BitTorrent.htm

It is showing what's needed for Torrents but I think they have a wizard there to set it up for you.

gadgetman496, Well thank you once again for your in-dept knowledge & time on this.

Ok, First things first: I have clarified everything you have said in the last three posts.

I did port forward to the laptop I want to connect to & have also enabled them.
    "Block WAN Request" has also been disabled.
    I have done a test in www.GoToMyVNC.com like you said & every port from TCP port 5900 -> 5909 are all accepting connections!!

So thats that said of things. I have been thinking today. Now since I could not ping my Outside Home IP Address from the Hotel last nite, that right away suggests that we have a problem, there is no way on earth I will get inside the network in this case - or am I right in saying this??

Next I decided to call my network provider today & explained them the siutuation. First off all they never assigned me a static IP Address, its DHCP, also they told me that, I am a home user therefore my IP Address is Kept private from the Internet, I would have to pay €200 in order to get myself a Static IP from them, or else upgrade to a buisness package??

I was always pretty sure that One did not have to have a Static IP io order to do remote connections, DHCP would still do, although it would change from time to time??

So in this case, am I right in saying that it would be impossible to carry on with this remote setup if my IP is Private??

Thanks for the advice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try something like www.no-ip.com - it'll give you a custom subdomain name which you can use to connect to your PC. It has a program which will update everytime you reconnect.

This will get around the problem of not knowing your dynamic IP address each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

Did you even try www.logmein.com ?

To be honest thats the easiest and in my opinion the best free remote control software thats out there at the moment . I can guarantee that once you register with that site you will be up and running in 10 mins .

I use it for accessing my work pc, home pc, girlfriends pc everything and the best thing is you don't need to worry about port forwarding / firewalls ect as you are using a web browser to access your pc .

I was in the same boat of prickin around for ages trying to open ports on firewalls / dsl modems until a mate of mine told me about logmein .

You should try and and the best thing is its free!!:)

Japseye Thanks for the advice, I just might give that a go & see how I get on with it.

As a matter of question, have you ever used MSN Messanger to do remote desktop? I wonder would that eradicate all that Firewall & Port Frowarding malarkie???

Thanks Again....

Japseye wrote:
    Did you even try www.logmein.com ?

To be honest thats the easiest and in my opinion the best free remote control software thats out there at the moment . I can guarantee that once you register with that site you will be up and running in 10 mins .

I use it for accessing my work pc, home pc, girlfriends pc everything and the best thing is you don't need to worry about port forwarding / firewalls ect as you are using a web browser to access your pc .

I was in the same boat of prickin around for ages trying to open ports on firewalls / dsl modems until a mate of mine told me about logmein .

You should try and and the best thing is its free!!:)

In Fact I have just set up www.logmein.com. It works real well & excludes the hastle of everything else, cheers for the advice lad!!

In Fact I have just set up www.logmein.com. It works real well & excludes the hastle of everything else, cheers for the advice lad!!

Logmein works very well, it has been mentioned by Feylya in the second post & I also mentioned that I use it too from time to time. If you Opt for the Pro version of Logmein it will work for 30 days & automatically revert to the free version after that. The only drawback with the free version is that it will not allow you to transfer files back & forth.

EchoVNC is another version of VNC which installs & works without any port forwarding of firewall settings required.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/echovnc/

Just as a final word on you original situation,
    Very few ISP's with the exception of IB will supply a static IP to a non business user account so there is nothing strange about that & it has nothing to do with you inability to connect using RealVNC.
    Static or non static IP accounts will connect to RealVNC once all the PORTS/ROUTER/FIREWALL settings are correct.

The fact that your IP is private has nothing whatsoever to do with it.
    All that is important is that you know the IP (WAN IP) & that it is this IP you use to make the connection.

Bottom line is that you are happy enough with Logmein & that's great.
    Enjoy it johnmikedooley. :)

-

• Advertisement

gadgetman496 cheers again for your comments & wisdom.
    I still dont under stand why I could not connect externally?
    Even if I connected my Laptop directly to the modem, its till would not work, really strange? Im still under the illusion that ISP may have some settings enabled in order to cut out that remote connections? I dunno.....

gadgetman496 cheers again for your comments & wisdom.
    I still dont under stand why I could not connect externally?
    Even if I connected my Laptop directly to the modem, its till would not work, really strange? Im still under the illusion that ISP may have some settings enabled in order to cut out that remote connections? I dunno.....

Well johnmikedooley,

it would indeed have been nice to know what was causing your inability to connect. One thing is for sure though, it is possible to connect regardless of which provider you are with.

I have set Real VNC up on many Linksys models in the past but it's some time ago now.

I'm not sure about the Linksys as I don't have one to hand at the moment, but I know that many routers have a feature in the NAT settings called "Virtual DMZ" & it requires that you enter the internal IP address of the exposed PC (that's the 192.168.x.y IP of the machine you are trying to connect to) into that section in order for access from outside to be successful. Maybe it could have been something to do with that?

I know too that all this is quite frustrating & time consuming for you & I'm sure you have had enough of it by now.

Sometimes when you are troubleshooting situations like that, it is necessary to momentarally disable both your software Firewall & your Router Firewall individually (only long enough to see if you can connect) in order to at least be 100% sure that they are not the culprit.

Sure, if Logmein is covering your needs then that's all that's important at the end of the day.

Don't you just hate technology when it's making life more difficult then it's worth? ;)

-

Here's a freebie that let's you connect to a PC remotely without any need to config anything.

Anyone used this?

CrossLoop:
    http://www.crossloop.com/howitworks.html

Advertisement