Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one else having problems with NTL Today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

My torrents are working although not very fast. But this could be down to my Router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Fenster wrote:
    I don't know, I'm getting full speed for regular downloads and general net use, yet all of my torrents are muck.
    Hmm. You getting any incoming connections from remote clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Downloads of all kinds slow for me also.

Dublin - 6M link - wireless ntl router (wireless switched off).
    downloaded that file above at 60K per sec...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Hmmm, my absolutely rock solid for 3 year ntl broadband connection has been up and down since Christmas. I placed a support call with ntl on 29th of January and they promised they'd have someone out to as quickly as possible...say the 8th of February. Not good enough I said, let me talk to your tech department as I work in IT and can probably figure out the problem with them.

So, 2 days later a techie rings me up and we both come to the conclusion that the modem may need to be replaced. Grand, we'll get it sorted.....so I wait and wait and wait. Meanwhile, the original 8th February engineer appointment crops up....but unfortunately the engineer decides not to and leaves my wife waiting in the house all day before ringing her at 17:50 to say that he can't make it. Let's reschedule it to Saturday....guess what happens....Saturday (10th) comes and goes....sans ntl engineer. Yup, no comforting little van appears at my door to get me out of my broadband woes.

Anyway, talk to another person in ntl on Monday to see what's going on and he says, "Oh sorry, our engineer couldn't make it to you on Saturday". I expressed my surprise at his non-appearance in very pleasant tones and then requested that they just send me a modem to my house, the one's that at the top of the invoice that they never fail to send me. It's funny, the bill can find my house but so far 2 engineers and a new cable modem seem to think it's on the other side of the planet.

Anyway, that was a week ago. During all of this I bite the bullet and buy a Ripwave box as a backup as my wife needs to use the internet every day for work. I had to swallow all my IBB hating principles but I keep telling myself, it's only a backup, it's only a backup...

Which it was, as mysteriously my ntl connection came back of its own volition last week. However, it wasn't to last. It's gone down again and no amount of coaxing the modem into action will bring my sync light back to life.

So, back to Ripwave...ho hum. Well, at least it's working.

So if anyone from ntl reads this, what's the problem in getting one little cable modem sent to a bill paying customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Torrents have been quite slow for me for the last week or so... Even a particularly big torrent I'm getting was going up to 300-400 kB/s about 2 weeks ago can't get above 100 kB/s now. I'm averaging 40 - 60 kB on any torrent. It's such a frickin pain.

It's definitely not my ports or my software, been torrenting for years and my incoming connections are working.

• Advertisement

yeah same with me, I rarely get abouve 60 on a torrent recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Torrents have been quite slow for me for the last week or so... Even a particularly big torrent I'm getting was going up to 300-400 kB/s about 2 weeks ago can't get above 100 kB/s now. I'm averaging 40 - 60 kB on any torrent. It's such a frickin pain.

It's definitely not my ports or my software, been torrenting for years and my incoming connections are working.

Having the exact same problem. It's been the past week and a half/two weeks. Glad to know it's not just me.

Do you think there is a chance that UPC are throtteling?? does anyone know if they do that in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

I'm not too sure if throttling is going on cos I'm downloading a ubuntu installation and it's running ~230kB/s. Hmmmm..

Yeah but couldnt they just throttle the ports used by most torrents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Actually today I managed to get a torrent ripping up to about 300 kB/s. They're definitely up to fishy stuff though.

I can't connect to easynews, my newsgroup provider in the evenings. I can connect during the day though....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

So if anyone from ntl reads this, what's the problem in getting one little cable modem sent to a bill paying customer?

My gut says its not your modem. They are just blowing you off and trying anything because they don;t want to admin there's a fundamental issue with their network.

How is IBB working out?

-=- RintPete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

NTL seems to be sucking big time tonight.. getting pings from google of 158 and above... Its nuts.... I can get to anything tonight??? Anyone having issues in Islandbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

My NTL 6MB connection has been terrible for the last 2 weeks. When I start downloading a file from a newsgroup through GrabIt, it starts off quite slowly and then pauses after a few seconds.

My connection was rock solid until last June/July and since then it's been very patchy. Think this one is the final straw. It really says something about their customer service that I'm not even gonna bother contacting them to try resolve it - I know they'll just waste my time so I'll just cancel the connection instead.

Im still hoping against hope that once they are rebranded they will get their act together. By the way I heard they are rebrandeing in 4 months, did anyone else hear this ? Is there any trith to it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ginger wrote:
    NTL seems to be sucking big time tonight.. getting pings from google of 158 and above... Its nuts.... I can get to anything tonight??? Anyone having issues in Islandbridge

Don't know if there is any 'connection' I am in Kilmainham and the tv service has been gone for a couple of hours now............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Im still hoping against hope that once they are rebranded they will get their act together. By the way I heard they are rebrandeing in 4 months, did anyone else hear this ? Is there any trith to it?
    They are re-branding once all the large technical issues are sorted that way they won't have the UPC brand tainted by all this huge amount of ill will they are currently generating. Once they have everything sorted and all VIOP packages and so on stable they will re-brand and push against Eircom in their coverage area............at least I hope so :rolleyes: Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen :(

YEAh it sounds like that could take another year at least, and by then they will have gotten used to teh Irish way of ripping off customers , and tehy themselves will just keep doing this seeing as they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Christchurch D8 here. Pings seem OK, but web browsing is lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Hopefully this will be sorted this evening..

I checked our modem and router, even going to the point of just using the modem and still everything was crap..

6Mb connection my ass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gavos 2 Base

I've had enough of NTL now, no stable connection for the last 2 weeks.
    Back in November my 6mb speed had gone and was only getting dial up speed.
    It took till January to get an engineer guy out, and said the modem I had didn't support 6mb and that there was new black motorola modems for 6mb downloads speeds. If any of you do not have this modem and are having slow speeds well my guess is this is your problem.
    So I thought great problem sorted just a pitty those idiot in support couldn't tell me there were new modems for the higher speeds. For one week everything was fine, then my connection started going on and off, last week it was gone for 7 days and it's just so unstable now its off more times than on. I been on to support more time than I can count, and still no sign of anybody coming out to sort the problem. So if I were you and your having the same problems, tell them to stick there broadband and go somewhere else cause they are rubish. Hope they go BUST!
    (Tallaght Area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

So the "engineer" told you that my silver modem (200) which supported 10 meg, then 6 doesn't support 6? Unless they have changed something confusing for a silly reason, I would take that with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gavos 2 Base

paulm17781 wrote:
    So the "engineer" told you that my silver modem (200) which supported 10 meg, then 6 doesn't support 6? Unless they have changed something confusing for a silly reason, I would take that with a pinch of salt.

If you do not have the black motorola modem you will not acheive 6mb download. He told me they recalled hundreds of the old silver ones. Ring and inquire.

i thought the blue see through modem was rhe newest?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I've had enough of NTL now, no stable connection for the last 2 weeks.
    Back in November my 6mb speed had gone and was only getting dial up speed.
    It took till January to get an engineer guy out, and said the modem I had didn't support 6mb and that there was new black motorola modems for 6mb downloads speeds. If any of you do not have this modem and are having slow speeds well my guess is this is your problem.
    So I thought great problem sorted just a pitty those idiot in support couldn't tell me there were new modems for the higher speeds. For one week everything was fine, then my connection started going on and off, last week it was gone for 7 days and it's just so unstable now its off more times than on. I been on to support more time than I can count, and still no sign of anybody coming out to sort the problem. So if I were you and your having the same problems, tell them to stick there broadband and go somewhere else cause they are rubish. Hope they go BUST!
    (Tallaght Area)

I got NTL in the start of Jan and i have the black motorolla modem. it worked for about 2 days after being installed, and hasn't worked since.
    i've had an engineer out and he unplugged a few things then pluged them back in and said "right it'll be grand in an hour...". That was 3 weeks ago! Still aint workin'! I then booked another engineer (i use that word VERY losely!) and he never showed up, nor did he ring to sau he wasn't showing up.
    In all i have taken 4 half days from work and i still dont have a working internet connection at home!! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nikimere wrote:
    I got NTL in the start of Jan and i have the black motorolla modem. it worked for about 2 days after being installed, and hasn't worked since.
    i've had an engineer out and he unplugged a few things then pluged them back in and said "right it'll be grand in an hour...". That was 3 weeks ago! Still aint workin'! I then booked another engineer (i use that word VERY losely!) and he never showed up, nor did he ring to sau he wasn't showing up.
    In all i have taken 4 half days from work and i still dont have a working internet connection at home!! :mad:

Small claims court beckons!! You are paying in adance for a service you are not getting simple as that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

lol, good one lads
    i have chorus 6mb, and i use the black motorola surf modem, and while occasionally i can get about 400kb/sec using multiple threaded downloads via FlashGet , all single threads are lucky to exceed 100kb/sec and the service reliability is still crap lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

400+ ping to ALOT of uk and european gaming servers

20-40 for a select few others like jolt.co.uk..

pathetic and outstandingly crap service once again from ntl

getting sick of this in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So is this why my bittorrent has ground to halt for no apparent reason? Everything else with NTL is fine as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

im trying to download teh new patch for BF2142 Im getting 8kB /s from the EA server, i dont know if this is NTL being slow of the EA server but it is really annoying!!! At the rate teh projected time to finis is just under 9 hours!!!

never mind it was teh EA server or else NTL's connection to teh server. Im downloading the patch now from Multiplay .co.uk now and im getting 550 kB/s. Im happy enough with taht speed at teh moment. Its alot better then I am used to getting anyway. :)

Advertisement