Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in the wilds of ireland

Options
  • 20-01-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

HI
    Does anyone know of any decent camping spots around Wicklow or any spots worth visiting in Ireland? I'm looking for the forest/views/campfires/ water type of thing or any combination of.

Not a camp site per se, but more of a wild camping experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from After Hours with redirect on, probably best off here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Try the white Island. Its in the middle of a lake just outside in Castleblaney. Great spot for a bit of fishing as well

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Br7anx

Thanks Starn I'll check it out

Any other suggestions anybody? all ideas welcome.

Does it have to be Wicklow ? Connemara, parts of Kerry and the Coomeragh mountains are really good. If you dont wanna travel too far from Dublin do the Slieve Bloom way and just move a bit off the track and set yourselves up. The Slieve Bloom way has the benefit of a tap at one of the car parks aswell as lots of rivers, only take water from waaaaay upstream and boil it and purify it!!
    Personally to avoid that we haul as much water as we can with us - which is a real pain as you need gallons literally for say a three day trip.
    Have you done this kinda thing before? If not get an ordnance survey map of the area you wanna go to.

This is such a bad time of the year for this kinda thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

tips: just haul drinking water and use boiled river water to wash utensils hands etc
    In the summertime you can bring raw meats and put em in a plastic bag inside another one make the first airtight and tie it to a rope and tie that to a tree and place the bag in a river or lake - now you have a fridge.
    Camp on a FLAT surface preferably near a river.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I wouldn't be mad on the idea of lighting a fire, they're nice and all but not really necessary. A good light weight stove is your only man.
    Most of the mountain ranges in Ireland are great to camp out in when you get the weather.
    It's a great pass time, enjoy!

thanks guys.
    I've done some camping before. so that's okay. i just thought that there must be some great specific locations out there throughout Ireland (or even abroad) that people have used and would like to pass on. Blindjustice you're right it's not exactly tropical climes at mo.(that's where the fire comes in handy!, but of course not essential).
    I'd like to get a half dozen lined up and organise a trip for a week or two in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Luggala valley.Approach from Roundwood on the r759 until you come to the Pier Gates which lead to Luggala Lodge. Walk through the gates along the road and down to the valley floor. Follow the grass track along the hillside to Lough Dan. Cross the Cloghoge river on stepping stones and follow the rough path along the Lough until you reach the Inchavore River. You can cross here on boulders to an island which is just what you are looking for. I've seen lots of tents here in the summer. Good luck

thanks a million for taking the time Cue, exactly the kind of thing i was looking for!

Roen wrote:
    I wouldn't be mad on the idea of lighting a fire, they're nice and all but not really necessary. A good light weight stove is your only man.

Or those disposable bbqs are handy! But a fire is a must for some boggy places during the summer as the smoke keeps away the biting insects!! Got eaten alive once in Connemara!! Ring the fire with some large rocks to contain it. But remember if the bog is dried out (rare but it happens) then the fire can go burn underground! And there is a law against lighting a fire close to trees too.

I find this website a good resourse for hiking and camping - its includes photos of places online maps and people give accounts of where to park and what routes to take etc etc
    Heres a link: http://www.mountainviews.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

I didn't want to start a new thread but..
    Is there any easy to get to areas to camp in the wild from dublin,not looking to go far and would also like to go fishing.
    And is it safe to go camping in the Wicklow mountains?

Personally I like to put a bit of distance between myself and Dublin as plenty of "skangers" head up the mountains for a bit of beer and some drugs! I would recommend the Slieve Blooms as its not far from Dublin motorway too! Has some rivers for fishing in - I do enjoy fishing but have never had the chance to up there.

There's a nice spot you can drive to in Glenmalure. From Roundwood go on to Laragh. Just south of Laragh on the R755 there is a right turn over the mountain (lovely views) to glenmalure. Come to a cross roads after 15 mins or so with Glenmalure Lodge on left (good for food and drinks) turn right into cul de sac. carry on to end of road about 5km to carpark. drive over river (its okay ) up bumpy road for 100metres and theres a nice spot on right under tree, near mountainside next to river, grass to pitch your tent and plenty of wood a little further up so you can build a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Thanks!
    But do you know of anywhere closer to dublin?

Hypnotoad wrote:
    Thanks!
    But do you know of anywhere closer to dublin?

I see you're in tallaght, glenmalure is really only an hour away from you. not sure of anywhere closer in that's in the 'wilds'. The Hill of Tara is a peaceful place to get away from it all, but it's about the same distance north. and there's no fishing. I suppose somewhere near powerscourt in enniskerry could be suitable but don't have exact location to tell you. maybe someone has some other suggestions....I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

Im heading up to the enniskerry area next week to camp for a week, should be nice and cold.;)

Theres a nice meandering river up there off the road that has some nice banks where you can pitch a tent.

Covenline wrote:
    Im heading up to the enniskerry area next week to camp for a week, should be nice and cold.;)

Theres a nice meandering river up there off the road that has some nice banks where you can pitch a tent.

Can you tell us how exactly to get to that area?
    I went down to lough Dan this morning approaching from the south,to recce a camping spot, it was beautiful but there was lots of walkers,scouts and guides about. its hard to find somewhere nice thats remote enough to have a bit of privacy but still accessible, that seems to be the balance to strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Up around Tonduff, Gravale, War Hill are all good.

DON'T leave a car parked anywhere remote - There's some scumbags doing the rounds at the moment smashing up walkers cars, just for the hell of it, even with nothing in the glovebox, boot (open, parcel shelf out etc).

Get someone to drop you up around the Sally Gap area and walk from there. Practice your navigation first and if you have one, bring a GPS for a second opinion on your location - The fog or clouds come in really, really, really quickly up there, and you won't see a thing when it happens. I've been there before and have been glad to have the GPS for my grid ref, along with the map and compass to plot my way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

(that's where the fire comes in handy!, but of course not essential).

This may be worth taking a look at:
    http://www.wicklownationalpark.ie/pages/wildcamping.php
    It's the Wicklow national park wild camping policy.
    The park covers a lot of the interesting parts of wicklow. It's pretty cool, you are allowed camp wild, but subject to certain rules.

You might want to have a read when doing your planning, some of the points may be relevant to what you are planning, for example:
    "Campfires are not currently permitted in the National Park. The issuing of permits for campfires is suspended pending review."

Probably best to stick with stoves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Are you looking for somewhere near a bus route?
    If so you could try knockree, get dart to bray and 185 all the way to terminus, then continue on the glencree road and take first signed left, next right and keep going till you find knockree hostel, keep going another 200m 'till carpark and follow garss path until you hit river(4-5 k from bus stop). plenty of campsites near river, but possibly plenty of campers! You can drive, get to enniskerry and drive up hill from hell (glencree road) and follow above. Never had trouble there and camped on numerous occaisions, trick is to cross river (stepping stones) and most other campers won't bother following. Suggest scouting in car first. 1st stop on wicklow way. Ther used to be problems with cars being broken into so for scouting trip park at hostel, buy coffee and then walk down to river/ look around. Lovely area, trees, river,djouce mountain but boil water!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

Going camping next weekend near Glendalough visitor centre but just wondering where would be the best place to park the car without it getting damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 krellhunter

:o
    Br7anx wrote: »
    HI
    Does anyone know of any decent camping spots around Wicklow or any spots worth visiting in Ireland? I'm looking for the forest/views/campfires/ water type of thing or any combination of.

Not a camp site per se, but more of a wild camping experience.

Thanks
    :ohi there krellhunter here always happy to give advise , we found a good spot in leitram glenfarne wood its belong to coilte its out of the way plenty of lakes there good fishing be sure to bring a boat of some sort check the coilte site for there rules in leaving no trace keep the place clean take youre refuse with you enjoy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The nephin beag range in mayo is probably one of the most remote in the country if you're looking to get away from it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

docmol wrote: »
    Are you looking for somewhere near a bus route?
    If so you could try knockree, get dart to bray and 185 all the way to terminus, then continue on the glencree road and take first signed left, next right and keep going till you find knockree hostel, keep going another 200m 'till carpark and follow garss path until you hit river(4-5 k from bus stop). plenty of campsites near river, but possibly plenty of campers! You can drive, get to enniskerry and drive up hill from hell (glencree road) and follow above. Never had trouble there and camped on numerous occaisions, trick is to cross river (stepping stones) and most other campers won't bother following. Suggest scouting in car first. 1st stop on wicklow way. Ther used to be problems with cars being broken into so for scouting trip park at hostel, buy coffee and then walk down to river/ look around. Lovely area, trees, river,djouce mountain but boil water!

Camping anywhere near Knockree Hostel or the river near there is trespassing. This stretch has now stopped all camping because of the abuse it has taken over the years from knackers just thrashing the place.

It is now patrolled and you will be moved on - security teams, rangers and guards all over the place - find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Magic Star wrote: »
    Camping anywhere near Knockree Hostel or the river near there is trespassing. This stretch has now stopped all camping because of the abuse it has taken over the years from knackers just thrashing the place.

It is now patrolled and you will be moved on - security teams, rangers and guards all over the place - find somewhere else.

OP has probably been and gone by now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

johnayo wrote: »

Yeah because Magic Star probably spotted him with his drones and he is now in Gitmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

hostmanx Magic Star knows if you even think of Knockree

194222.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

johnayo wrote: »

great thread though. Glad I seen it. The young lad and I go 2 or 3 times each summer.

tent, bag , worms and a rod. great night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Yeah because Magic Star probably spotted him with his drones and he is now in Gitmo.
    Along with Bear Grylls, plucked from a rotting sheep carcass as he floated downriver;
    Chuck Norris, who looked sideways as he traversed the Wicklow Way;
    and the Pooka McPhelimy, who'd been hiding from the ghost of Flann O'Brien in the hollow of an oak tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

A group of dads and our respective offspring went to Actons outside Clifden. Caught and BBQed mackerel, kayaked in the nearby inlet, and generally had fun in the dunes.
    This is the link:
    actonsbeachsidecamping.com
    and Kris was the man in charge.

Advertisement