Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarmfree.ie?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anyone know if this is the genuine article? Saw a post about it in the Galway Advertiser Last week. Just seems to good to be true to have no install costs and just a Euro a day for a 3 yr contract? Be worried in case they might be cowboys?

If it's for real then it is an absolute bargain!

http://www.alarmfree.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Well they managed to get a top level domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 apriloneill

You should check how much monitoring is after the first three years before committing to this. There's a reason why they offer free equipment. €1 per day for 3 years is €1095, plus ongoing monitoring costs thereafter. Monitoring really isn't necessary for a domestic system. It's an ongoing cost that really adds up. You can get a system with a dialler which will call your mobile, or another number when there's a problem and all you would have to pay is the initial installation of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Is this like the eircom PhoneWatch system ??? or ... it does not really say they remotely monitor , it reads like a cheap wireless alarm system (probably costs about €250 ) being installed and costing €1095 after 3 years ...

Seems to be. These type of systems are very expensive in the long run.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

Sounds good and cheap, stange they only have a mobile number, no other contact details.

Thay might make the money from selling extras, there's no mention of window contacts to be included or back door, etc

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Justin Conboy

To whom it concern,

First of all, thank you very much for taking interest in this offer and our company www.alarmfree.ie ,

In reply to the questions raised in this thread, I would like to point out
    that Alarmfree Ltd. is a registered company, (CR# 429639), which can be
    verified with the Companies Registration Office (http://www.cro.ie) and trades as alarmfree.ie

Our installers are Alarm Care Ltd; they are National Standards Authority of
    Ireland (NSAI) registered and Private Security Authority
    (PSA) registered. (PSA is a Government Registered Body).

We work on our own to provide a cost effective service to the public.
    24 Hour Monitoring is all that we sell. The offer only seems too good to be
    true because people have been ripped off for so long. By ripped off I’m talking
    about paying EUR1500 to EUR3000 plus Vat for alarms ‹ crazy prices.

The alarm we supply, the Visonic Powermax + (http://www.visonic.com), is
    one of the biggest selling wirefree alarms on the market and is state of the
    art in wirefree communications. One reply mentioned alarms for about EUR250 being cheap,
    where the most common alarm in Ireland is the HKC which wholesales for about EUR100.

The reason we can offer a quality product at EUR1 per day, is
    because we spread the cost over the 3 year deal; when someone signs up it
    guarantees us income for the 3 years, therefore we can offer the alarm and
    installation free of charge.

What we offer as a free alarm is:
    Visonic Powermax+ Control Panel,
    Internal Sounder,
    2 Motion Detectors,
    1 Door Contact,
    Decoy Bell Box,
    Digital Communicator,
    Installation of the alarm in Galway City, (Surcharge of EUR100 out of town).

As I said, the 24 Hour Monitoring is EUR1 per day, and contrary to what one
    poster said “Monitoring is not important”, it is stated by many Gardai that a
    non-monitored alarm is useless. Think about it, when was the last time you heard
    an alarm and called the Guards? I bet never!

Our company is now based at 12 William Street West in Galway. The mobile
    number appears on business cards and flyers because another company
    purchased a ”golden” 1890 number which we attempted to secure. We are currently in talks with them
    to get the number licensed to us.

Finally, this is a Limited company which has put a lot of time, effort and
    money into marketing a brilliant idea ‹ at last something that looks too
    good to be true is finally and actually true.

Yours,

Justin Conboy.
    Managing Director,
    Alarmfree Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Is this a Con ... boy ?? (sorry could not resist)

So do you phone the house if the alarm goes off and if no-one answers do you call the guards ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭oneweb

LizardKing wrote:
    Is this a Con ... boy ?? (sorry could not resist)

So do you phone the house if the alarm goes off and if no-one answers do you call the guards ?????
    Cow ... boy ?? (also could not resist)

And also, monitored alarms are crap at best - the alarm calls the company. The company calls the house. The house tells them the alarm is wrecking its head by not answering the phone and/or the burglar sees it's a blocked number and decides not to answer. The company calls you to get you all worried. The company calls the neighbour. The neighbour, already pissed off, tells the company to stop adding to the annoyance and to feck off. The company calls the guards. The guards call to the house to find one of two things - nothing, another false alarm caused by wind/children breaking wind while playing football or - a house left in a mess by a burglar who left an hour ago while the company was still making all those phonecalls.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

To whom it concern,

First of all, thank you very much for taking interest in this offer and our company www.alarmfree.ie ,

In reply to the questions raised in this thread, I would like to point out
    that Alarmfree Ltd. is a registered company, (CR# 429639), which can be
    verified with the Companies Registration Office (http://www.cro.ie) and trades as alarmfree.ie

Our installers are Alarm Care Ltd; they are National Standards Authority of
    Ireland (NSAI) registered and Private Security Authority
    (PSA) registered. (PSA is a Government Registered Body).

We work on our own to provide a cost effective service to the public.
    24 Hour Monitoring is all that we sell. The offer only seems too good to be
    true because people have been ripped off for so long. By ripped off I’m talking
    about paying EUR1500 to EUR3000 plus Vat for alarms ‹ crazy prices.

The alarm we supply, the Visonic Powermax + (http://www.visonic.com), is
    one of the biggest selling wirefree alarms on the market and is state of the
    art in wirefree communications. One reply mentioned alarms for about EUR250 being cheap,
    where the most common alarm in Ireland is the HKC which wholesales for about EUR100.

The reason we can offer a quality product at EUR1 per day, is
    because we spread the cost over the 3 year deal; when someone signs up it
    guarantees us income for the 3 years, therefore we can offer the alarm and
    installation free of charge.

Internal Sounder,
    2 Motion Detectors,
    1 Door Contact,
    Decoy Bell Box,
    Digital Communicator,

As I said, the 24 Hour Monitoring is EUR1 per day, and contrary to what one
    poster said “Monitoring is not important”, it is stated by many Gardai that a
    non-monitored alarm is useless. Think about it, when was the last time you heard
    an alarm and called the Guards? I bet never!

Our company is now based at 12 William Street West in Galway. The mobile
    number appears on business cards and flyers because another company
    purchased a ”golden” 1890 number which we attempted to secure. We are currently in talks with them
    to get the number licensed to us.

Finally, this is a Limited company which has put a lot of time, effort and
    money into marketing a brilliant idea ‹ at last something that looks too
    good to be true is finally and actually true.

Yours,

Justin Conboy.
    Managing Director,
    Alarmfree Ltd.

Justin,
    Im in the market so
    I have a few questions for you:
    Do you issue a certificate for the install and if so is it issued by alarmfree or alarmcare?

Are you fitting these to EN standards and if so how do you connect the panel to a fused spur?

and lastly, as tis wirefree i take it it will work in a house like mine where i dont have a phone line ( we use moblies )...so does it use the moblie network for connecting to the monitoring station?...if i did have a phone line in the house which is needed for monitoring ,how does the panel connect to it considering it has no wires.

I like the no install charge ;)

PS ...you need to run a spellchecker on the webpage as well!!

I didn't mean that monitoring is not important, just that you can monitor your alarm yourself for free. And I agree that €1500-3000 is extortionate for a house alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

seriously Mr Conboy,
    spend a bit of cash on that website and get a landline.

no sane person will part with cash for an alarm that is monitored by a company that is only contactable by mobile phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I second, subways suggestion.

ambrose :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than phonewatch and unlike phonewatch cutting the phoneline outside will not render it totally useless.

unless the chaps mobile is out of battery or he has another call or any number of other possiblities.

a system like that needs a 24 hour call centre to back it up.
    and call centres need landlines

alarm callcentre landlines do not take incoming calls in case of a denial of service attack.

alarm call centres do take incoming calls,
    not all phones but the do take calls.

All the big ones I know of have their alarm activation phone alerts coming off a large central dublin exchange while their office is on the outskirts in a business park and on a completely different exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Seen as we are all here and interested, what is the advice on an affordable system to use?

And to Mr Conboy, what happens after the 3 yr contract runs out?

Cheers. :)

....and is the equipment guaranteed for the 3 years??

Just thinking but even if the alarm is off wont the sensors still be transmitting every time i open the doors or walk past a motion !!....cant see the batteries lasting TBH so a 3 year guarantee is a must.

Also if the thing false alarms will alarmfree or alarmcare come out and sort it FREE ( or under warranty?) for 3 yrs ??

Anyway i want an outside powered box complete with lights and siren so opportunists know ive an alarm, so im goin elsewhere.This offering is raising too many questions in my mind and the website has put me off anyway..its misspelling and mobile no dosent do it for me,sorry im passing.

Reading your statement again it seems you are only selling monitoring, "24 Hour Monitoring is all that we sell." and every connection earns you a commission? so who provides the backup on the equipment when things go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A quick scan of the axa website shows no mention of alarmfree.

http://www.axaplus.ie/home.htm

http://www.axaplus.ie/discounts.htm

As a matter of fact the only link that comes up on google using the words...axa galway alarmfree customers.... is an advertising site called the galway advertiser.

There is no link on alarmfree.ie to an axa web page to back up the claims of the 10% discount.
    No link on galway advertiser that i could see either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I got myself a wireless alarm on ebay with 20 window/door sensors and 3 motion detectors, a GSM dialler (so no worries about cut telephone wires) with battery backup and a siren with lights. I think it came to around €500. I have a ready to go sim in it which came with free credit (doesn't expire either). It can phone/text 6 numbers and also texts you if the mains power fails/is restored. Sensor battery life seems very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

Internal Sounder,
    2 Motion Detectors,
    1 Door Contact,
    Decoy Bell Box,
    Digital Communicator,

Does this mean that you'd have to pay extra for each window or are sensors on the window included?
    Also you'd need to pay extra for the backdoor and any other external door. Patio doors are €115 for example.
    I reckon it'd cost a little more than free by the time its installed....plus 1 euro a day.
    Do they let you off the euro for the days that you don't set the alarm? Now that'd be more of a bargain...think of the savings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

oneweb wrote:
    Cow ... boy ?? (also could not resist)

And also, monitored alarms are crap at best - the alarm calls the company. The company calls the house. The house tells them the alarm is wrecking its head by not answering the phone and/or the burglar sees it's a blocked number and decides not to answer. The company calls you to get you all worried. The company calls the neighbour. The neighbour, already pissed off, tells the company to stop adding to the annoyance and to feck off. The company calls the guards. The guards call to the house to find one of two things - nothing, another false alarm caused by wind/children breaking wind while playing football or - a house left in a mess by a burglar who left an hour ago while the company was still making all those phonecalls.

Classic!!
    ROFL:D

B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

digitaldr wrote:
    I got myself a wireless alarm on ebay with 20 window/door sensors and 3 motion detectors, a GSM dialler (so no worries about cut telephone wires) with battery backup and a siren with lights. I think it came to around €500. I have a ready to go sim in it which came with free credit (doesn't expire either). It can phone/text 6 numbers and also texts you if the mains power fails/is restored. Sensor battery life seems very good.

Interesting, I am looking to get one put in (someone tried to break in thru the back door, they broke the lock but didn't get in - miracle!!). Would you have a link to the seller or similar items, please? Easy DIY? Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

positron wrote:
    Interesting, I am looking to get one put in (someone tried to break in thru the back door, they broke the lock but didn't get in - miracle!!). Would you have a link to the seller or similar items, please? Easy DIY? Thank you!!!

Have had the alarm for nearly a year now - here's the pros and cons:

Pros

Very easy to install - just a matter of screwing the sensors to the windows/doors
    Sensors small and neat compared to most other wireless ones I've seen
    Sensors have an LED that lights when they're activated also have another LED to indicate low battery
    Sensor and keyfob range seems to be very good
    I also got a wireless smoke detector that triggers the alarm
    Battery life seems very good - batteries available for a good price on Ebay
    Alarm sends text/rings phone number (up to six) as soon as it's triggered
    Alarm can be set/disabled over the phone
    Battery back up in alarm box - will text you if mains power dis/re connected
    Pay as you go sims come with lots of free credit which doesn't expire

Cons

Alarm has to be enabled with a keyfob (like a car alarm)
    No delay before alarm triggered
    External and internal sirens sound for a fraction of a second when alarm is set/disabled
    Quality of alarm control box is a bit shoddy (I was initially very skeptical about it but it's been very reliable) and its powered via an external ac adapter which can easily be plugged out. However I have it very well hidden and if/when a burglar found it would have had plenty of opportunity to dial out
    External siren is activated wirelessly by the alarm but requires AC power and doesn't have battery back up. I bought a interruptible power supply - must get around to fitting it some time!
    No zones as such - you can just deactivate the motion sensors

Anyway all in all I'm pleased with it. I've PM'd you the Ebay shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for the very informative post, digitaldr. Also heard about 'Yale Wirefreel alarm' on radio earlier today - will look into these!

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Justin Conboy

Thanks for all the interest in www.alarmfree.ie call me on 1890 252 767 thats 1890 ALARMS or on my mobile at 087 988 6562

Now, who has the class website!!!! :)

Justin Conboy
    Managing Director.
    Alarmfree Ltd.

12 Williams St West,
    Williams St.
    Galway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Thanks for all the interest in www.alarmfree.ie call me on 1890 252 767 thats 1890 ALARMS or on my mobile at 087 988 6562

Justin Conboy
    Managing Director.
    Alarmfree Ltd.

12 Williams St West,
    Williams St.
    Galway.

Hi Justin

website looks much better, like the idea of the form with the Quote (just a small problem with it, when you select and extra and click on Clear the quote doesn't clear back to 0) maybe you should add a prefer method of contact, e-mail or phone, also what about adding for extra comments for questions that future customers might have.

Also not 100% sure about the links on the top they all go back to the main page.

Regards

Justin Conboy
    Managing Director.
    Alarmfree Ltd.

12 Williams St West,
    Williams St.
    Galway.

website looks better alright BUT your last one had spelling errors and so does THIS one !!!....
    You really must pay attention to spelling and having everything working to save the blushes.....attention to detail is important, especially with security.

...Just wondering is the MD of danerb.com, your brother, brendan conboy?

• Advertisement

Christ :eek: Almighty :eek: !!!!!

Who wrote the copy on the www.danerb.com website ???? :eek:

It would be a great tutorial topic for any web design/ecommerce course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement