Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical accuracy of the Bible and the Qu'ran

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭T-1111111111111

http://noorasthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/04/top-100-men-in-all-times.html

The top 100 men in all times

Muhammad (PBUH)Excerpt from Hart's book: My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels... Muhammad founded and promulgated one of the world's great religions, and became an immensely effective political leader. Today, thirteen centuries after his death, his influence is still powerful and pervasive... Like all religions, Islam exerts an enormous influence upon the lives of its followers. It is for this reason that the founders of the world's great religions all figure prominently in this book. Since there are roughly twice as many Christians as Moslems in the world, it may initially seem strange that Muhammad has been ranked higher than Jesus. There are two principal reasons for that decision. First, Muhammad played a far more important role in the development of Islam than Jesus did in the development of Christianity. Although Jesus was responsible for the main ethical and moral precepts of Christianity (insofar as these differed from Judaism), St. Paul was the main developer of Christian theology, its principal proselytizer, and the author of a large portion of the NewTestament.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not an ignorant question. What literature exists of his life is 150 yrs too late and entirely of Muslim origin and even there contradicts itself. The hadeeth are even later. In any case I never said he didn't exist. I merely said that the historical Mohammed is largely an unknown to us. For too long many people have assumed he was a more historical figure than Jesus or any other faith founder. The fact is based on historical documents he is just as cloudy a character, lost in the mists and myths of time. Think about it. A military and religuous figure of such note and we have no second hand reports of him? No reports from those he was to have fought in battle? No Greek or Byzantine sources who he was supposed to have dealt with? It's easy to imagine the loss of information about a purely religious figure but to lose a successful military figure to that degree? Hardly.

I would however agree that the concept of Mohammed has huge historical repercussions and as such should be included in such a list as the one you referenced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    It's not an ignorant question. What literature exists of his life is 150 yrs too late and entirely of Muslim origin and even there contradicts itself. The hadeeth are even later. In any case I never said he didn't exist. I merely said that the historical Mohammed is largely an unknown to us. For too long many people have assumed he was a more historical figure than Jesus or any other faith founder. The fact is based on historical documents he is just as cloudy a character, lost in the mists and myths of time. Think about it. A military and religuous figure of such note and we have no second hand reports of him? No reports from those he was to have fought in battle? No Greek or Byzantine sources who he was supposed to have dealt with? It's easy to imagine the loss of information about a purely religious figure but to lose a successful military figure to that degree? Hardly.

I would however agree that the concept of Mohammed has huge historical repercussions and as such should be included in such a list as the one you referenced.

Just because u dont have any other documents (thats cos u dont wana see them) that doesnt mean that they dont exist.

Do as u wish, believe what u want, be convinced as u are. There is no point in discusing this I guess when some of u locked urselves in atomic shelters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Just because u dont have any other documents (thats cos u dont wana see them) that doesnt mean that they dont exist.

Do as u wish, believe what u want, be convinced as u are. There is no point in discusing this I guess when some of u locked urselves in atomic shelters.
    Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide some evidence of his existance taken from non-muslim sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hey T-1...

Let's not make this an attack on the posters. We're discussing the question as posted by the OP, and whether or not you agree with the comments being made you don't need to claim that any of us are "locked in atomic shelters."

That said, I think the points brought up here are good ones...by far the only "objective" historical information we have comes from sources outside the religious circle. Of course, humans are inherently subjective, so finding such a source would be darn near impossible. And since religion and politics have frequently danced in the same circles over the millenia it becomes even harder still.

Even so, the idea remains that any figure as influential as Jesus or Mohammed should be noted in the diaries of other prominent individuals. I'd suggest that we forget the technicalities of the actual names "Jesus" and "Mohammed" because they were quite possibly names that evolved as history did. Instead we should focus on finding references to people whose stories run parallel to those we believe to be be from Jesus & Mohammed.

I don't think anyone argues that Jesus, as an individual, did not exist. There is written proof from other political/etc figures from the times which detail the life and events of this influential man. I think our challenge now, to continue this thread, is to find similar written evidence of Mohammed's life. I'd imagine it's out there, but I wouldn't have any idea where to look. But if any of us are to make claims (that either there is or isn't this evidence) we need to provide specific citations.

• Advertisement

I think all of U are well able to find such evidence from history urselves.
    So dont ask me to do you a favor.

Now the question is - do u really want to find such evidences or not?

Ayla wrote:
    But if any of us are to make claims (that either there is or isn't this evidence) we need to provide specific citations.

Go ahead, b my guest - u prove that he did not exist, cos thats what u want, isnt it?
    I dont hav a problem - did he exist or not - but some of u do have a problem. So u prove it to urselves that he didnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The point is we cann't find such evidence if it doesnt exist. Our motivation is irrelevant in the face of such a fact.
    But as a troll you already know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I'm most interested in such evidence. The question from my perspective is whether you are equally open to evidence that is not consistent with your current view of the Quran?

Schuhart wrote:
    I'm most interested in such evidence. The question from my perspective is whether you are equally open to evidence that is not consistent with your current view of the Quran?

1. Why are you interested? Just be honest, dont lie if possible.
    2. There is not such evidence. So u could try and throw urself from Mt. Everest but that still wudnt change my views, get it? Bottom line, I dont wana do something which I know is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Let's take it from first principles.

Good and informative post, Wibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Go ahead, b my guest - u prove that he did not exist, cos thats what u want, isnt it?

Hey T-1, you're really going to get me irked if you're going to claim you have any idea what I want.

I would love to know all the facts out there, from every belief, which is why I'm on this thread. Therefore, my post was an invitation for those who have the facts to cite them and teach me something. I haven't "decided" anything about what I do and do not believe, but you're not helping your case.

If you know something, prove it or leave the thread. Don't go mudslinging.

I'm interested because, as an Atheist, I find it useful to have facts that reveal the misconceptions theists have about their own faiths.
    2. There is not such evidence. So u could try and throw urself from Mt. Everest but that still wudnt change my views, get it? Bottom line, I dont wana do something which I know is a waste of time.
    If you have so firmly closed your mind to evidence inconsistent with your beliefs, how can you expect others to take your views seriously?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I can't. I'm sorry other than the sources I've mentioned before I know of no other sources. If you have them please post them or recommend a book which deals with this.
    I for one would love to see historical evidence even from a purely curious stance.
    All faiths and their founders interest me. The don't lie if possible bit was hardly required or courteous BTW.
    2. There is not such evidence.
    Strong statement indeed.
    So u could try and throw urself from Mt. Everest but that still wudnt change my views, get it?
    Why would I want to? What you believe is up to you as is up to those Christians who believe what they believe as is up to me to ask questions.
    Bottom line, I dont wana do something which I know is a waste of time.
    So you didn't want debate then? You just wanted agreement?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Wicknight wrote:
    The Greeks knew this wasn't true, but that knowledge was lost or ignored until the 15th century when a more accurate model of the solar system was developed and it was realised (again) that the sun was actually stationary and the earth moved around it

Did the Greeks know it wasn't true based on the sort of work that Copernincus did or did they just believe that the earth goes round the sun using a mythological basis?

MM

Did the Greeks know it wasn't true based on the sort of work that Copernincus did or did they just believe that the earth goes round the sun using a mythological basis?

MM
    OT but this was well before Copernicus. Some Greeks observed and noted the central idea of the sun in the heavens. Mostly it was through observation of retrograde motion of the planets etc. I could explain more but it's all Greek to me...

Further from comments made by T-11111111111 on accuracy and consistency of the Quran in another thread. It's best posted here.

Historical inaccuracies abound. Alexander the great being a muslim. The Samaritan who crafted the biblical golden calf, when the Samaritans wouldn't exist for 800 yrs. Even the name of Jesus a very important Prophet in Islam is incorrect(as in Christianity BTW). His name would have been Yeshua Ben Yosef. Isa(or Issa, esau(different name entirely)) is a translation from the Greek Iesous, not the original Hebrew. Not surprising given the proximity of Greek thought in the area at the time of Mohammed. The Christian Jesus comes from the latin.

Can Allah be seen?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/042.qmt.html#042.051 No
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/081.qmt.html#081.023 Yes

Who is the first Muslim?
    Abraham?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/006.qmt.html#006.161 (163)
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/003.qmt.html#003.067
    Jesus?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/003.qmt.html#003.052
    Noah(and a few others, who would have thought of themselves as Jews I suspect)
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.163
    Solomon?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/027.qmt.html#027.030

Basically the "greatest hits" from Judaism and Christianity were all apparently Muslims. Some of the them The "first". Even the Pharoah of Egypt was a Muslim(and apparently Alex the great).

How long is a day to Allah in human terms?
    Thousand?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/022.qmt.html#022.047
    50 Thousand?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/070.qmt.html#070.004

The nature of evil?
    All things come from Allah?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.078
    Evil comes from within?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.079
    Or evil comes from Satan?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/038.qmt.html#038.041

There's "no compulsion in religion"
    Not quite
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/008.qmt.html#008.038 (39)

Now you can call the above context, but which instruction is the correct one. The no compulsion earlier one or the later.

Here's a link to a study of some of the non Arabic words and their origins in the Quran;
    http://www.studytoanswer.net/islam/purearabic.html

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/021.qmt.html#021.030
    The text states that the universe consisted of heaven and earth as one and the was parted. There was nothing before the big bang. No time, space, earth or sky. This also suggests the earth was made before the rest of the universe which is also wrong.

ttp://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/067.qmt.html#067.005
    This states that the stars are closer than the rest of the universe and that meteors drive away evil spirits, which is also scientifically wrong.

Finally, I'll repost a question I asked before.

OK, Lets for a minute consider that the Quran is unchanged and protected by God. Also consider the Quranic view that the earlier revelations(Gospels/Torah) are also God's word that have been corrupted by man. This suggests that God's power isn't consistent as it means he let man corrupt earlier revelations yet protected the Quran. In the Quran God states there is no changing of his word. Also if Arabic is the only language for revelation how come the earlier scriptures that the Quran states are His word were never written in Arabic? More to the point, How come man could change the previous ones so easily?Could God not protect his own words?

Wibbs wrote:

Wibbs, now honestly, I see that your knowledge on the Qur'an and/or understand it and/or Islam is limiting to zerro.
    By Allah (swt), the 2nd link (of the 2 you quoted above) is NOT TALKING ABOUT ALLAH (swt) BUT ABOUT ANGEL GABRIEL, GABRIEL, GABRIEL. I repeated name Gabriel three times so that you know and although name Gabriel was not used in that particular verse, all Muslims agree that is so, because they know exactly when and why was that verse revealed (i.e. what was happening at that particular moment, there's a whole event clearly documented as a background of the revelation of that (those) verse(s)).

So you just contradicted yoursel. And if you do not believe me, go and ask any Muslim scholar who is "he" in that verse - they all will say - no doubt about that - that it is angel Gabriel (as), not Allah (swt).

Now, since the 1st contradiction is cleared (very easily), I'll wait for you to confirm that, then I will - Allah Willing - clear out all others that you listed.

Now please, go and verify what I said who is it that Allah (swt) was talking about in that verse.

And yes, Allah (swt) cannot be seen directly (i.e. behind a veil is something we cannot really understand, but it is made clear here that He cannot be seen directly with these eyes, probably that's why Allah (swt) used behind a veil, so that people know that they cannot see Him, but Allah (swt) knows best what He meant by behind the veil in original Arabic (=this is an English translation, Arabic I repeat is the original).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just bringing this topic into the open. How accurate are the books to the original writers and are they historically accurate?
    You can't prove there not acurate because any scientific system we have to do so is wrong. :D

I think the Qur'an is suposed to be pretty much word for word now as it was back then, it was never translated or re-writen to satisfy the ruling powers morals or sesibility like the bible was. How many different versions of the bible are there today in how many different languages?
    Did Mohammed as we understand him even exist?
    I didn't know there was any doubt that he exsisted, I'm sure I watched a BBC documentry on his life and their fairly unbiased and trustworthy. Wasn't he supposed to be a conquering warrior? There's bound to be proff of his existence if he was.

ScumLord wrote:
    You can't prove there not acurate because any scientific system we have to do so is wrong. :D
    It appears so.
    I think the Qur'an is suposed to be pretty much word for word now as it was back then, it was never translated or re-writen to satisfy the ruling powers morals or sesibility like the bible was.
    That's what the common idea is and as there is few studies on the subject commonly available for obvious reasons(see T-111111111's reaction to any thought of dissension) that will probably remain the common consensus. As I've said before what studies have been done by both Arabic and other historical scholars highlights a few of the problems with the unbroken transmission idea. I) The earliest Quran that survives is 200yrs + after when it was supposed to have been collected. 2) Those early copies(tashkent, British Museum) have many differences in both form and content from the later ones. 3) The earliest Islamic texts make no mention of the Quran(which is strange). 4) The earliest Quranic inscriptions on coins and buildings again differ from the later version(it seems to have settled down in content from about the 10th century) 5) To Arabic and ancient language scholars there appears to be more than one "voice" in the texts. Stylistic changes are evident. It's not the most cohesive text because of it. For a start it has little claim to chronology and does have a few historical and theological inconsistencies.
    How many different versions of the bible are there today in how many different languages?
    Loads and historians have issues with much of the history contained within even though some of the texts are dated to the first 2 centuries after the Gospel reported death of Jesus and that's closer to the dates in question than the Islamic texts are(and there are secondary non Christian sources however vague).
    I didn't know there was any doubt that he exsisted,
    Obviously not among the faithful. Naturally. Among historians there has been a quiet rethink on ascribing much historical trustworthyness purely to the Islamic texts. Without secondary corroboration or very early Arabic sources the history of it's revelation and collection must remain in the realm of faith.
    I'm sure I watched a BBC documentry on his life and their fairly unbiased and trustworthy.
    Well they're bias or not is for another forum, if they have any bias :). There was a recent documentary on Jesus and the miracles of same. Does this mean there were miracles(sorry to the Christian chaps and chapesses). There was also another documentary less recent that tried to find the historical Jesus(even what he may have looked like). There were some questions raised in that programme on historical accuracy too. Imagine the reaction if that may have occured if those had been raised about Mohammed.
    Wasn't he supposed to be a conquering warrior? There's bound to be proff of his existence if he was.
    That's the problem right there. The first mention of him and his personal history is from many years(100+) after his death. It doesn't survive itself though it is referenced by later biographers so it's likely it existed. No mention on inscriptions or coinage until much later. The Hadeeth or Islamic life of the Prophet is 200yrs after his death. Long enough for inaccuracies at the very least to creep in. His name itself Mohammed means anointed one. Not likely to be his given name, more an honoury title. Non Muslim Greek and Christian sources give nothing at the time of his life and precious little until Islam starts to grow and show up on the radar. In fact the earliest Greek reference portrays Mohammed purely as a military leader not a religious one only noting the group he belongs to as followers of Abraham. Mecca a supposed crossroads of trade and the center of his later power doesn't show up on any of the trade maps at the time and indeed for a couple of centuries.

Of the battles he fought and the military campaigns he persued the records are strangely silent. All the more surprising as he was fighting many tribes and even the Byzantines/Romans according to the Islamic texts. Now you would think that such an important military leader that was having such success would have at least shown up once in a larger context.
    I repeated name Gabriel three times so that you know and although name Gabriel was not used in that particular verse,
    No need to shout.
    all Muslims agree that is so,
    Well they would have to or there would be a contradiction. In any case I'll give you that one(though there are doubts over interpretation). One down. Loads to go.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote:
    No need to shout.

I didn't shout Wibbs please how can you say that? ;) I didn't hear a sound, guys did you hear any sound?

Smartarse :D

Wibbs wrote:
    Smartarse :D
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Just a quick note to say to T1... and any with similar ways of thinking. Religious organisations discourage independant thought. They will use extreme examples of what 'independant' thought can do, but what is it that they fear?? It certainly is 'NOT' your welfare, spiritual or otherwise. Its like propaganda! I am a faithful worshipper of the living god and am bound by no organisations teachings. I grew up a Jehovahs Witness, and I found myself arguing much the same way as T1, passionately, boardering on agressively and absolutely convinced of my convictions. It was only when I felt discomfort at certain teachings, which to be honest I ignored for years, did I really start questioning the organisation, from there it snowballed. I am more faithful now and closer in my relationship with God than ever. I now never assume that I am fully deprogrammed, and this lets me find the nuggets of truth in all the weeds. I still find myself argueing a point with someone and then realise, 'actually, why do I believe this' and go back to the drawing board. Wonderful question; Why?
    The moment that you leave your faith to somebody else to dictate it to you, is the moment that your relationship with God Falters. People from the JW's viewed me as arrogant for questioning 'The Organisation', but to be honest, its the complete opposite. I have had to be humble to accept that I had been programmed for 20 years, and that I had helped programme others. T1... I don't mean to be condesending, but with your current attitude you will never find truth, all you'll ever do is tow the party line. You will also likely laugh me off and say its different for you, thinking, 'but I know the real truth', as I have done in the past, but I hope the message hits a nerve for someone.

JimiTime wrote:
    Just a quick note to say to T1... and any with similar ways of thinking. Religious organisations discourage independant thought. They will use extreme examples of what 'independant' thought can do, but what is it that they fear?? It certainly is 'NOT' your welfare, spiritual or otherwise. Its like propaganda! I am a faithful worshipper of the living god and am bound by no organisations teachings. I grew up a Jehovahs Witness, and I found myself arguing much the same way as T1, passionately, boardering on agressively and absolutely convinced of my convictions. It was only when I felt discomfort at certain teachings, which to be honest I ignored for years, did I really start questioning the organisation, from there it snowballed. I am more faithful now and closer in my relationship with God than ever. I now never assume that I am fully deprogrammed, and this lets me find the nuggets of truth in all the weeds. I still find myself argueing a point with someone and then realise, 'actually, why do I believe this' and go back to the drawing board. Wonderful question; Why?
    The moment that you leave your faith to somebody else to dictate it to you, is the moment that your relationship with God Falters. People from the JW's viewed me as arrogant for questioning 'The Organisation', but to be honest, its the complete opposite. I have had to be humble to accept that I had been programmed for 20 years, and that I had helped programme others. T1... I don't mean to be condesending, but with your current attitude you will never find truth, all you'll ever do is tow the party line. You will also likely laugh me off and say its different for you, thinking, 'but I know the real truth', as I have done in the past, but I hope the message hits a nerve for someone.

Jimi, just 4 quick things I want to say cos I gotta go now.

1. I appreciate your post
    2. I don't belong nor support nor question any organisation - Islam is not an organisation.
    3. About the Truth - Islam is the Truth.
    4. Finding this Truth has nothing to do with me - it's Lord's Mercy, so it's not really finding the Truth, it's receiving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

ScumLord wrote:
    I think the Qur'an is suposed to be pretty much word for word now as it was back then, it was never translated or re-writen to satisfy the ruling powers morals or sesibility like the bible was. How many different versions of the bible are there today in how many different languages?

Issue 1
    The Bible has never been rewritten to satisfy ruling powers. There are over 27,000 manuscripte of the Bible dating back as far as AD55. These manuscripts are put together to determine what the authors actually wrote. As compared to other ancient documents the evidence for the Bible is overwhelming.

Issue 2
    There are many translations of the Bible in the English language. Yes, there are, but they all are translated form the manuscripte mentioned above. The King James Version is irrelevant for today as it was written for a 17th century audience. The American Standard Version was written at the beginning iof the 20th century to speak to that audience. The New International Version was written in the 1970's in a language that my generation could easily understand. The Message is a recent translation that is writeen for todays youth to understand. Yet they all come from the same base. The English translations change as the English language changes. Some versions are word for word others are idea for idea.

There are translations in many other languages so that people can read it and understand it in their own tongue. That prevents someone from having a power of knowledge and manipulation over another person. Christianity promotes questioning and study.

The Qu'ran, to the best of my knowledge has just recently been translated into English and every part that I read has been a bad translation as it is not even written in modern English.

Please get away from th eidea that the Bible has gone through changes, It has not. Or prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Wibbs wrote:
    Further from comments made by T-11111111111 on accuracy and consistency of the Quran in another thread. It's best posted here.
    Without getting into some tedious point by point commenting on this post and others I just want to say a couple of things.
    Can Allah be seen?
    The verse 81.23 refers to Gabriel, not God. After the first or second revelation Muhammad saw Gabriel on the horizon (I can't remember off hand the full details) which is why the previous verse says "And (O people!) your companion is not one possessed" followed by "And without doubt he saw him in the clear horizon"
    This is from Ibn Kathir's tafsir on that verse:
    (And indeed he saw him in the clear horizon.) meaning, indeed Muhammad saw Jibril, who brought him the Message from Allah, in the form that Allah created him in (i.e., his true form), and he had six hundred wings.
    I don't know where you're getting the idea that there's doubts over the interpretation. All the commentaries I've seen on that verse has said it's Gabriel. If you read any biography on Muhammad and then see that verse it's obvious too.
    Who is the first Muslim?
    When the Qur'an uses Muslim to refer to those people (and it doesn't in all the links you've provided) it's in the "surrendering to God" context i.e. worshipping one God, not many etc. In other words, the word Muslim is being used for it's actual meaning in Arabic rather than as a word describing what we would recognise as an adherent to the Islamic faith).
    ...and apparently Alex the great
    The Qur'an doesn't say Alexander the Great was a Muslim, it mentions Dhu'l Qarnayn.
    Some Muslims, and probably others, have decided this is Alexander the Great (the Dhu'l Qarnayn was a military leader according to the Qur'anic descriptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhul-Qarnayn)
    Here's a link to a study of some of the non Arabic words and their origins in the Quran
    Given that site is obviously an anti Islamic site it's hardly something you can use as an objective study of the Arabic language. If someone posted a Muslim site to prove the quality of Qur'anic Arabic you'd be the first to object.
    The Qu'ran, to the best of my knowledge has just recently been translated into English and every part that I read has been a bad translation as it is not even written in modern English.
    I think it was first translated in the 1800s/early 1900s. I'd suggest reading Muhammad Asad's or Aisha and Abdalhaqq Bewley's translations, they're written in modern English and both are recognised as excellent translations.

Some might be interested in knowing that you can see three English translations of the Quran side by side here. This site has the advantage that it has the respect of the Islamic community – so at least it mitigates complaints that the translation distorts the message. I say mitigates, because of course within Islam only the original text is seen as having the status of the word of God.

I have an old Penguin edition Koran translated by NJ Dawood, which is good enough for me. If I come across something I think needs confirmation I check it at the site above. To be honest, I’ve haven’t seen a point yet where I felt disagreement between the four translations was really material.

I would have thought that a significant difference between the two texts is their relative position within their faiths. Christians are not really solely depending on the text. They believe Jesus is divine – hence the record does not absolutely have to be word for word correct, so long as it is a reasonable record. On the other hand, as some commentators have said, the Quran occupies the place within Islam that Jesus has within Christianity. Hence the fixation with asserting the authenticity of the text. If the Quran is not the direct word of God, it is like Christians discovering that Jesus is not divine –the basis for the religion falls, or at least is enormously diminished.

To an extent, this would look to me like making the Bible the more robust of the two. The architecture more readily allows for someone saying that if Jesus walked the Earth today he would have expressed the message in different words. Islam, on the other hand, is left stuck with things like the Quran statement that the Sun orbits the Earth without any way of changing it.

Taking a step back from it, the Quran really does read to me like an abridged version of the Bible, and makes sense simply as a vehicle to unite various tribes worshipping different idols into a cohesive unit. It achieved that admirably, but I’m not sure it’s convincing as a text that truly works outside of the context in which it was created.

I know it might be argued that this is at a tangent to which text is the most ‘authentic’, but I actually think this is the real issue. Its not really a matter of which text is oldest – its what does it say, and what is the significance of what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Schuhart wrote:
    Islam, on the other hand, is left stuck with things like the Quran statement that the Sun orbits the Earth without any way of changing it.
    Where does it actually say this?

• Advertisement

Where does it actually say this?
    Surah 21:33 – just after the line saying the sky is supported by pillars.
    Yusuf Ali's Translation
    It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.
    Pickthal's Translation
    And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit.
    Shakir's Translation
    And He it is Who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all (orbs) travel along swiftly in their celestial spheres.
    NJ Dawood’s Translation
    It was He who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon: each moves swiftly in an orbit of its own.

Advertisement