Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gonna be some major fireworks tomorrow for the East coast. T-Storms will develope quickly during the late morning, east coast most at risk:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wow I cant believe the temps for this time of the morning, met office reporting 18oC @ casement airdrome. No activity reported or sighted here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hal1 wrote:
    Wow I cant believe the temps for this time of the morning, met office reporting 18oC @ casement airdrome. No activity reported or sighted here yet.

Tell me about it, its unbelievably hot in my bedroom, can't sleep!

Looking forward to the next couple of days though, does look good for thunderstorms.
    Snowbie those are fantastic screenshots, I'm so jealous, want one myself!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Thunderstorm last night gave a FANTASTIC lightning display. Reached me (between Cork and Macroom) about 11.15pm. At times lightning was less than every second, but mostly every few seconds. Then, as it moved eastwards towards Cork city it became more intermittent - but not less impressive. The best was 4 very thick instantaneous CGs spread over about 5 miles with lots of surrounding thinner lightning. Wow! But other multiple strikes, arched lightning across the sky, lots of it forked, made it memorable. Watched till 1240/45am when it had really passed out of sight. I hope you folk further east saaw soemthing of it during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Longfield wrote:
    Tell me about it, its unbelievably hot in my bedroom, can't sleep!
    Get the fire brigade, get the fire brigade, there's a fire in my bedroom tonight. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Get the fire brigade, get the fire brigade, there's a fire in my bedroom tonight. :D

There's always one !:rolleyes: :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Activity should be getting underway soon to our south. The Southeast coast and East coast are going to get a hammering later:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Activity should be getting underway soon to our south. The Southeast coast and East coast are going to get a hammering later:cool:
    Nothing gone on as yet DM,though should get exciting soon enough.
    Temp 17.7c
    hum 70%
    1011.1 hp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Light rain here near New Ross for most of the morning.

All is quiet out south,hmmm no convective clouds as yet either.:(

• Advertisement

Patience, patience.....:cool:

darkman2 wrote:
    Patience, patience.....:cool:

LOL- NO patience at all:D
    Need me storms a rumbling:p

Typically this time of year the stroms really get going early Afternoon. They literally spring up from nowhere but Id like temps to be a bit higher.

The storms though are in this case forming out of mid to high level activity arent they?
    Thats why cape/LI values yesterday didnt support storms yet they occurred.

High temps will help them but arent necessary.

Today is very breezy again off the Irish sea here but the temp is holding well at 19.1c

There are showers around but none thundery as yet.

Totally dry and sunny here but I did see some weak showers this morning with anvils drift up the Irish sea.
    They were small mad looking yokes with a spray of rain out of them that did not reach the ground.

Earthman wrote:
    The storms though are in this case forming out of mid to high level activity arent they?
    Thats why cape/LI values yesterday didnt support storms yet they occurred.

High temps will help them but arent necessary.

Today is very breezy again off the Irish sea here but the temp is holding well at 19.1c

There are showers around but none thundery as yet.

Totally dry and sunny here but I did see some weak showers this morning with anvils drift up the Irish sea.
    They were small mad looking yokes with a spray of rain out of them that did not reach the ground.

I got one of those this morning, just rain and shortlived. Sun about to come screaming out here now after a cloudy morning, and thundery looking clouds too. One thing I will point to in our favour is wind shear, fanatastic for steering up storm potential and an MSC coming up from Biscay later too. However what the East coast really needs is for development up the Irish, which is likely, but if it dosnt happen were gonna miss out. The good thing about today is that the potential is less suited to just inland convection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

21c and sunny here again today with a few clouds about, nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fairly heavy shower in N Louth an hour ago...from what looked like pretty high base clouds...certainly has the look of a thundery day...lot of cloud sitting out over Dundalk bay and the humidity is definitely up on the last few days.

Cloud bases are very high indeed,only see altostratus at the moment,nothing materialising yet even out to sea towards biscay even,personnaly i think late afternoon and evening before the show kicks off,
    Temp at 19.3c and hum levels are lowish 63% but pressure stil dropping 1010.6
    I think its stalled at the moment developments that is,but optimistic,nothing detected anywhere

Heavy showery rain getting into the southwest, may turn thundery. It is conceivable that thunderstorms wont break out that widely but I doubt it.

There are strikes reported off the southwest coast now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Notin really to report here in Navan. It is still very sunny out. I taught it got a bit duller out earlier, but it is grand now. Saying that I didn't think it was as warm as yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its still about 22c/23c even tho its mostly cloudy but when the sun does poke out it gets very warm indeed.. if today was wall to wall sunshine we wud be looking at 26c+ easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its been cloudy all day here in Waterford with occasional light drizzle and temp at 17.0 c now. Its a shame to see the sunny weather gone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Overcast here in Tipp.
    Not much happened ovenight, around 1:30 there was one near by flash of lighting but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/ATL2-VIS-sat.jpg
    looks a little nasty in the southwest. wonder will it bring any thunder my way.

Looks like the threat of TS is all but gone now,Heavy rain getting into the SW may have a bit of potential with only two strikes ive recorded out of it 250miles sw of velentia over the last three hours.:mad:

Were getting good development now down to the southwest and North of Biscay, Clouds deepening fast.

Developments in the Irish sea heading for East Coast.

This is looking good right now. Maybe thundery later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Heres a pic I took last night in Cork, some nice light in the sky for much of the night. :D

lighteningmedium5va.jpg

• Advertisement

Heres a pic I took last night in Cork, some nice light in the sky for much of the night. :D

lighteningmedium5va.jpg

God dosnt like that house:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement