Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The M50 Alternative thread.

Options
  • 18-05-2006 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the M50 is a disaster at the moment and is just going to get worse,
    I thought it would be usefull if people posted alternative rush hour routes.

Im going from Fonthill Rd Nth beside Liffey Valley to Knocklyon Road in Knocklyon.

Alternative works ok sometimes:

Fonthill Rd to Clondalkin to Newlands to Belgard Rd to Tallaght up Kiltipper Rd. to Ballyowen and over the Firhouse M50 exit to Knocklyon.

Can anybody better this route?

Or provide your own?

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

The good will of people is amazing.

TBH I think it is a great idea but I can't see many people posting their shortcuts. Then they would get blocked up with traffic and they'd kick themself.I
    Anyways they are dwindling by the day. Most shortcuts for the Naas road that I know of are gone/blocked off or stuck in traffic.

(It does amaze me how many people go straight at Crumlin Childrens Hospital instead of turning right to go down Kildare/Clogher road and then cross over the SCR and go through black pitts to get to a large part of Dublin CC

anothe one is to go through crumlin village from kildare road and then head for the walkinstown round about to miss the Long mile road. I'm not too hot on street names but I know where I am going.

Another thing is the amount of Buslanes that are springing up. the capacity of the Long mile road is going to be cut in half soon.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

narommy wrote:
    Another thing is the amount of Buslanes that are springing up. the capacity of the Long mile road is going to be cut in half soon.)

I have to be pedantic here but the capacity of the road is likely to increase. The car capacity will certainly reduce but not by half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Narommy, you're talking about Bunting Road there (I think). There is no right turn allowed at the top on the Walkinstown Roundabout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

I dont think anyone should be afraid of sharing their shortcuts here.

I doubt too many Boards users are using the same routes. Not enough to wreck them anyway.

Although you never know.

Wavey.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Alternative to M50... on the southside - R120 from Lucan to Pollyhops, down the unclassifed (is it still Nangor Road at this point) road to the R136, from their until the N7, N7 west until the N82 and that will take you to the N81.

(Why does the N82 exist BTW? Its essentially a national secondary road that goes serves a business park and little else! To my mind either the R113 or R136 between the N7 and N4 should become N82, if only to justify the route's existance...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

icdg wrote:
    (Why does the N82 exist BTW? Its essentially a national secondary road that goes serves a business park and little else! To my mind either the R113 or R136 between the N7 and N4 should become N82, if only to justify the route's existance...)

You came close to answering your own question there. The N82 predates Citywest, and its purpose is to link the N81 to the N7. It used to do this via Saggart down a nasty hill, terminating on a nasty T-junction. The road through Citywest that it now follows had to be built anyway, and is a much better route IMHO.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

narommy wrote:
    It does amaze me how many people go straight at Crumlin Childrens Hospital instead of turning right to go down Kildare/Clogher road and then cross over the SCR and go through black pitts to get to a large part of Dublin CC
    SCR is a disaster, even on a motorbike. Mostly due to tw@ts blocking junctions on the principle that "it wasn't really red, anyway it's my right as a car driver to block a bus lane and a junction, I pay road tax..."

We need road pricing and we need it now. It's the only way to get a functional transport system in our medieval street structure. This city is full of lazy gits who need to pay the price for their selfish choice of car commuting.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Narommy, you're talking about Bunting Road there (I think). There is no right turn allowed at the top on the Walkinstown Roundabout though.

Sounds like we are thinking of the same road.

If you turn right a bit before the roundabout (there are shops on your right) and then left , then immediately right it brings you to the Prams shop(keelys)
    then turn left to get to Kylemore road(which can be bad sometime but most of the time it is fine, it was really bad last nite though)

I won't be very interested in shortcuts inside the M50 from next week as I will be on the M50 to Sandyford ( for my sins)

I really dont'f find the SCR road so bad. In any case I suggested just cutting accross it. There are alot of really good rant runs each side of the SCR if you could be bothered with the hassle of using them instead of sitting back and relaxing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

narommy wrote:
    I really dont'f find the SCR road so bad. In any case I suggested just cutting accross it. There are alot of really good rant runs each side of the SCR if you could be bothered with the hassle of using them instead of sitting back and relaxing.
    Stupid question but what's the SCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spacetweek wrote:
    Stupid question but what's the SCR?

SCR = South Circular Road
    NCR = North Circular Road
    KCR = Kimmage Cross Roads
    HXrd = Harold's Cross Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Coming up/down the country I go onto the Orbital Ring Road on the N7, up towards liffey vallet, turn right at the roundabout at power city, past the back of B&Q and into Ballyer, if heading northside turn left at the roundabout, Chapelizod/Park/ NCR.

On the way back, sounds dumb, but get out to Maynooth/Clane/Nass bypass. The tailback on the N4 leads to another on the M50 and to another on the N7, try the Strawberry Beds, dont turn left at Lucan Bridge, go on to Leixlip Confey and turn left there for Maynooth.

Advertisement