Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing fresh chillies?

Options
  • 06-04-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey,

I've had it with the desk job as it is a silly way to spend your life. What I want to do is grow and sell different types of Chilli pepper, habaneros, jalapenos, etc. etc., making them into sauces, creating a buzz about the varieties and all that kind of stuff. I'd be doing this from farmers markets.

Before I throw myself into polytunnels and the like, I'd like to give it an inital whirl at the weekends by importing the peppers fresh and doing what I will from there.

I've tried to find out how to go about this on the interweb but all I can see are loads of links for that stupid band.

Anybody here an expert on such matters relating the importation of fresh food?

I'd be yr best friend for a little advice:)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dont know much, but I hope it works out for you. Jalapenos...yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Try the Wikipedia page on Chillies. I saw a report a week or so ago on sky about these chillies in the uk being the hotest in the world, you should try and get in contact with them. This company ReadyToGrow from the UK also looks like a good starting point.

Good down to smithfield fruit and veg market and ask around. Have a look around the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment and the BASIS web sites, for import issues and start your own business information.

A trip to some where like Mexico would be a nice idea, maybe even take a course in Mexican cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Dont know much, but I hope it works out for you. Jalapenos...yum!

Jalapeno begals are the best, especially with cream cheese. Unfortunately, they leave a pile of bread crumbs when you eat them.

Advertisement