Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Yaris - 3 Cylinder Engine - Noise

Options
  • 26-11-2005 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Test drove the new yaris for the misses today and although Toyota come with a great rep and the car interior is beautiful and well build , the noise of the engine is horrible , it sounds so rough it only quitens down in forth and even then I couldn't live with it, from the outside when reversing its sounds worse than an old style diesel . Told the dealer and got the yarn about fuel efficency but for 16000 euro i think there making excessive profit . . I 'll get her a car with a proper four cyclinder engine , I think the colt , aygo , 106 , c1 are the only ones so i'll stay away from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

philtaylor wrote:
    Test drove the new yaris for the misses today and although Toyota come with a great rep and the car interior is beautiful and well build , the noise of the engine is horrible , it sounds so rough it only quitens down in forth and even then I couldn't live with it, from the outside when reversing its sounds worse than an old style diesel . Told the dealer and got the yarn about fuel efficency but for 16000 euro i think there making excessive profit . . I 'll get her a car with a proper four cyclinder engine , I think the colt , aygo , 106 , c1 are the only ones so i'll stay away from them.

Add Polo, Corsa and Fabia to that list, their entry level engines are all 3 cylinder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yaris is a dangerous car, not very stable on the road tbh. like the last poster said have a look at vag cars, like the fabia or the polo. if i was u though id go with a golf, i think u will find the depreciation is so low that its the equivelent of running a yaris most proabably as well as other cars of its ilk.

lomb wrote:
    yaris is a dangerous car, not very stable on the road tbh. like the last poster said have a look at vag cars, like the fabia or the polo. if i was u though id go with a golf, i think u will find the depreciation is so low that its the equivelent of running a yaris most proabably as well as other cars of its ilk.

Well OP is talking about the new 2006 Yaris which has only just been launched, not the old MkI Yaris.

€16k would only get you a 03 or possibly 04 MkIV Golf which imo is too much and not the great car VW proclaimed it was.

Also all small VAG cars such as the Polo, Fabia and Ibiza all have the 1.2 three cylinder entry level engine producing a pathetic 55bhp.

To the OP, I think the Fiesta has 4 cylinder engines and the best one is the 1.25 which produces 75bhp. The Fiesta has just got a facelift and for €16k you can get the Steel model which has sunroof, 16" alloy wheels, front fog lights, remote central locking and cd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Thanks for the replies . Yeah was talking about the new 2006 yaris , didnt realise about the polo and the others having them aswell , must be a new trend with these engines . She is only looking for a runabout so couldn't really justify a golf . Not a big fan of Fords but the fiesta seems a good deal especially with that extra pack going cheap and the engine output is very good, probably moving towards the new clio and fiesta so i'll have look at them in more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,791 ✭✭✭✭unkel

philtaylor wrote:
    but for 16000 euro i think there making excessive profit

That's taking the p!ss alright. No base level tiny 3 cylinder car should cost anywhere near that imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a 3 cylinder polo and the engine was very noisy also. :):)

unkel wrote:
    That's taking the p!ss alright. No base level tiny 3 cylinder car should cost anywhere near that imho

Afraid most of them do:

Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 3dr - €14,995
    Seat Ibiza 1.2 R 3dr - €14,850
    Skoda Fabia 1.2 55bhp Classic 5dr - €13,720
    VW Polo 1.2 55bhp Baseline 3dr - €15,465

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The point of a 3 cyl engine is economy not refinement, torque or acceleration. Thats the compromise you make. You'll pay less insurance and tax on a 1.0. Also if you find a small car "unsafe" on the road, you're not driving it properly. These are city cars meant for trotting around town at 30mph or less. You see crazy fools hammering down motorways and the like doing close to the ton in these cars. Buy an appropriate car for the driving you are doing. Otherwise you'll end up as unguided missle on the wrong side of the road.

With a Toyota your paying for reliability and build quality. Look where they appear in the reliability charts. Personally I wouldn't buy a Yaris, just couldn't live with the looks.

How about the AYGO? Bit cheaper too.

bazz26 wrote:
    Afraid most of them do:

None of those are near €16k though. For a mere €14k list, one could have the Fiat Panda with the excellent multijet diesel engine!
    How about the AYGO? Bit cheaper too.

Same 3-cylinder engine, but you have a point. It lists at a much more palatable €12.5k

Edit: or how about the 2006 Irish car of the year, the Suzuki Swift? 93bhp for €13,995 list. Beat that! :)

unkel wrote:
    None of those are near €16k though. For a mere €14k list, one could have the Fiat Panda with the excellent multijet diesel engine!

Well the Panda competes with the likes of the Aygo, Ka, Lupo,etc which are in the smaller city car market segment. The Punto or new Grand Punto would be competing with the likes of the Yaris and Fiesta.

Not defending the price of the Yaris, which is very expensive by the way but is that the base model? I would guess that €16k is the "on the road" price quoted by the dealer which would include delivery charges and metalic paint.

Metalic paint can cost up to €500 extra these days. :eek: Add these costs to the other rivals mentioned above and this could bump the price up by another €800.

The Aygo definately makes more sence as a city run around.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Not defending the price of the Yaris, which is very expensive by the way but is that the base model? I would guess that €16k is the "on the road" price quoted by the dealer which would include delivery charges and metalic paint

You're right. I took the €16k quoted by OP for base list price (not on the road and with no options), in fact base list price is €15k
    bazz26 wrote:
    Well the Panda competes with the likes of the Aygo, Ka, Lupo,etc which are in the smaller city car market segment

Ah I see your point. There is a split of the lowest segment into two (e.g. by comparing Lupo to Polo, Aygo to Yaris, etc.) but the division lines are grey. Surely a Ka is the same size as a Yaris? Is the Panda not the same size as both?

unkel wrote:
    Ah I see your point. There is a split of the lowest segment into two (e.g. by comparing Lupo to Polo, Aygo to Yaris, etc.) but the division lines are grey. Surely a Ka is the same size as a Yaris? Is the Panda not the same size as both?

I think the Fiesta is competing with the Yaris.

Yes that segment has split into two these days(city car and super mini) as the traditional supermini has grown in size, i.e. the Polo is now almost the same size as the MKI Golf.

The Ka is a bit weird in that it only comes with that ancient 1.3 engine which is also found in the Fiesta. To me it makes no sence taxing and insuring a Ka when the Fiesta probably costs the same but has more room. Why the 1.25 litre from the Fiesta was not fitted to the Ka only Ford can answer that one? Probably to keep production costs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

The new version 2006 yaris is 700 euro more expensive than rrp of mk1 plus each individual dealer adds a few 100 euro to that price aswell . I was quoted 15800 for basic new 2006 yaris delivered in late january and that was without metallic paint which is 420 euro. The new version 2006 clio is €15,850 on the road aswell without the paint which is 450 euro .

I had a look at the aygo on sunday aswell and interesting enough as one of the posters said the dealer admitted the aygo shares the same engine as the new basic yaris . the plus of the aygo is nearly 3500 cheaper than the yaris the negative it sounds like your driving a washing machine.

Again the boards posters are correct you are really sacrificing refinement and performance for economy which I have to agree in the yaris and aygo is impressive . The mpg is 61.5 .

Yeah the new Swift looks pretty good bar the interior at the price is very good , anyone know where the dealers are as the suzuki ireland website was down last night . The other option is the c2 as my wife doesnt like the look of the c1 but theres a good deal on at the moment and if I sell the 2cd car and go in has a cash buyer should be able to get a few extra quid of aswell on top of there deal.

Citroen pay your VAT!
    Citroen C2 1.1 @ €15,296 (R.R.P)
    ABS with EBD and EBA. Twin airbag. Remote
    Central locking. CD player. Remote audio controls.
    Electric windows. Trip computer...
    You only pay €13,135
    You save €2,161

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

bazz26 wrote:
    Afraid most of them do:

The ibiza has a 3Cyl 64bhp engine too.

Advertisement