Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Corporation Waste Charges

Options
  • 15-02-2002 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if i do have to pay these as i havn't got a bin yet.

I am living in appartments and we have to pay a management company money for common area cleaning and the like and also for our rubbish(2 big skips).

since i am already paying money for rubbish should i have to pay it again to the Corporation. Personally i wouldn't mind paying, but not for something that I have already payed for. At the moment they are threatening legal action so i am scared of having to pay "interest" and the legal fees also.

More to the point why should i pay if I (also all the other appartment people) don't have the different coloured bins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Be selfish, don't pay it. I personally think there's too much of a row over it - there are whole streets of people refusing to pay for it. If you do pay, you'll discover you're one of the only ones. I'd hold off until they establish the rules - either everybody pays it, or they scrap the charge. They wont chase you for the money if you don't pay it anyway - there are too many others not paying it as well.

The last place I rented, I paid the charges, discovered I was practically the only one who had, and cancelled the second installment. Plus the property management company who managed the estate sent around a note to say they'd contacted the council and refused the green recycling bins and brown compost bins on our behalf because there was no room in the driveways to store them. 'Sod that', said I, and cancelled the cheque...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

No room the the driveways to store it?
    Oh god what is this country coming to, I suppose people would rather have mega-dumps where all of our waste gets perpetually heaped into rather than recycle it, shock horror people actually have to make some effort in order to recycle.

I think that everyone should be obliged to pay for the recycle bins and that the bins should be mandatory. The bottom line is that the environment is in trouble because of mans mistreatment of it, now instead of trying to shirk responsibility for it's damage and repair, people must take responsibility for their actions and not only recycle their waste but pay for it too. People seem to find the money for cigarettes and drink handy enough, so I don't accept the arugment that says "oh I don't have the money", find the money, it's not just your own back yard you are polluting, but mine and everyone else's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Fair enough Typedef, but I would be paying for nothing.

I would pay if the bins where supplied but not before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

bin or no bin, im never paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I pay PAYE, PRSI, VAT, VRT, road tax, Customs & Excise on smokes and beer, countless other taxes. They can go **** themselves if they think they can squeeze more out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

NeRb666 & Minesajackdaniels
    Its muppets the same attitude to you two that has this country in the dire state that it is in. The streets of Dublin, the whole country for that matter are disgraceful.
    I think thatanyone who doesn't pay the charges should be imprisoned and black listed for credit in the future due to their selfish attitudes. They create the rubbish through their own consumption and should have to pay to have it taken away.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

errr...Pugwall u flamer !...reason we have very high taxes in the first place is to pay for the environmental waste, it was back in the 80s when the gov put up the PAYE tax to pay for bin collection, hence this new tax is double taxation.
    btw, i never payed neither has about 95% of 300 odd households in the housing estate where i live(stat from local housing association), i have no intention to pay, either they scrap the bin tax or reduce PAYE to their previous levels(highly unlikely gov would do it)

I can afford the tax(lucky me :) ), its on a point of principle that i dont pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Well I'm not paying either. One reason is that I was never asked if I wanted bin and I'm sure no one else was either. I just woke up one morning to find a big grey bin had been plonked in my garden. So they give me this bin that I never asked for and then expect me to pay for it!?!? I was quite happy to leave my bags out and not pay anything. If a mail order company sends you something you don't ask for you don't have to pay for it and you get to keep it so i don't see why the corporation have the right to do it. Plus there was a ruling in some European court that they can't stop collecting the bins for non payment but they can take legal action to get the money. Are they really going to take a couple of thousand people to court seperately? Can't imagine they would. And to top it all off the binmen still have the cheek to knock at my door for their "Christmas bonus"!!!!! So I told them where they can stick their bonus.

it was back in the 80s when the gov put up the PAYE tax to pay for bin collection, hence this new tax is double taxation.

The PAYE tax rates have been slashed dramatically since the 80s. Now thats pretty obvious:p You dont make any sense.

The PAYE tax rates have been slashed dramatically since the 80s
    slashed ?...thats definietly OTT, whatever tax has gone down, u are guaranteed something elsewhere would go up in its place....VAT and VRT rate comes to mind.
    mayb u have a short memory, in the bad old times of the 80s(i am 27 & flippin good memory :) ), paye tax was raised as well as VAT to pay for but not exclusively for bin charges....others were for ex: water(remember that tax?) health, education....etc
    alot of hardship was experienced back then, reason i mention this is the gov think that they can introduce this double tax while we are in good economic times.
    It all makes sense at this keyboard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by NeRb666
    I pay PAYE, PRSI, VAT, VRT, road tax, Customs & Excise on smokes and beer, countless other taxes. They can go **** themselves if they think they can squeeze more out of me.
    And the rest of the country dont pay any of this, so its ok for them to be charged for the disposal of their waste? Get a grip.. Everyone else in the country has to pay for it, anyone who lives in dublin should be no different.

bin or no bin, im never paying for it
    Great that's a really open minded attitude.
    Well I'm not paying either. One reason is that I was never asked if I wanted bin and I'm sure no one else was either. I just woke up one morning to find a big grey bin had been plonked in my garden. So they give me this bin that I never asked for and then expect me to pay for it!?!?

I was never asked if I wanted to pay tax for sewerage but I still have to. If you make waste then you should pick up after yourself or to put it another way pay to have it dealt with. You people seem to have decided that you aren't going to pay a tax for that 'tree-hugging' mumbo jumbo and are then finding reasons to rationalise your decision.
    Sure troll on about how you will never pay the tax, and don't give a reason, let your selves down, but when your own lethargy starts to impact on 'our' shared environment then your indolence becomes my problem , everyone's problem.
    The problem won't go away just because you decide to bury your head in the Sand and say, "If I leave my head here long enough the ozone layer will fix itself". Here's a newsflash it aint so. Using less fossil fuel's will help placate global warming and getting rid of that 10 year old fridge that is gurgling out cfc's by the metric pound will actually help the ozone layer. So the logic follows, recycling will 1. Reduce the need to exploit non-renewable sources of consumables 2. Reduce the size and scope of rubbish tips 3. Allow you to contribute in a real way to fixing the moutain of garbage created by the throw away society.

I was quite happy to leave my bags out and not pay anything. If a mail order company sends you something you don't ask for you don't have to pay for it and you get to keep it so i don't see why the corporation have the right to do it.
    Tell me something, do you honestly believe that because you didn't ask to be responsible for recycling your wastes you should be exempt? I didn't ask to be included 'specifically' in laws governing imbezzlement so does that mean I can embezzel monies? Better not answer that you might find yourself seperating plastic and tin and paper and paying your enivronmental taxes.

I find it quite embarresing that Irish people can be so beligerant about doing their duty as regards contributing to the protection of the environment, when compaired to the Swiss, Germans and Scandanavians it really makes some of the posts here seem quite ignorant and ludicrously self centered. The bottom line is lads you don't have to pay any tax, go ahead and get your selves a cabin in the woods and a sturdy shotgun. Next proclaim a republic where you can pollute as you see fit, and shoot at any 'federal' government type coming to try and make you pay your taxes or grow up and stop whinging about doing your civic duty and actually contributing to the state instead of always expecting to get something for nothing out of it.

The rates are presently 42% & 20%. In the 80's the highest rate was over 70%. I cant remember the exact figure. It could have even been closer to 80%. (Can anyone check that out for me?)
    Is severly cut better?

Everyone else in the country has to pay for it, anyone who lives in dublin should be no different.

There is non-payment in Cork, Limerick and Drogheda as well, mayb more ppl are waking up to this irish version of the poll tax ?

Originally posted by gurramok

There is non-payment in Cork, Limerick and Drogheda as well, mayb more ppl are waking up to this irish version of the poll tax ?
    Im in Limerick, and everyone is still paying their waste charges.. Anyone who dosent is self-centred, narrow-minded and short sighted.

Originally posted by Typedef
    Tell me something, do you honestly believe that because you didn't ask to be responsible for recycling your wastes you should be exempt? I didn't ask to be included 'specifically' in laws governing imbezzlement so does that mean I can embezzel monies? Better not answer that you might find yourself seperating plastic and tin and paper and paying your enivronmental taxes.
    The non-payment is a tax issue and not a green issue as u imply.
    I for one have no problem caring for the environment, the bins are welcome, and yes other countries do recycle alot, its not the ppl's fault that the environment waste strategy has been arseways up to now!
    The point is that these environmental services are already been payed for through direct or indirect taxes.

The point is that these environmental services are already been payed for through direct or indirect taxes.
    And so is everything else that is getting public money. Where do you propose they cut expenditure so they can cover the cost of disposing of selfish peoples waste?

Originally posted by Moriarty

And so is everything else that is getting public money. Where do you propose they cut expenditure so they can cover the cost of disposing of selfish peoples waste?
    Haven't they managed for nearly 20 years covering the cost of waste disposal thru all the taxes we pay ?

btw u mention selfish ppl....the overwhelming majority of waste produced in this country is produced by industry, big business and large-scale agriculture while only a small fraction is produced by domestic householders, the paye workers pay most tax yet pollute the least.

Haven't they managed for nearly 20 years covering the cost of waste disposal thru all the taxes we pay ?
    Waste disposal is getting more expensive, and more money also needs to be spent in other areas, such as general infrastructure. The rest of the country has no gotten away with not having to pay for their waste.
    btw u mention selfish ppl....the overwhelming majority of waste produced in this country is produced by industry, big business and large-scale agriculture while only a small fraction is produced by domestic householders, the paye workers pay most tax yet pollute the least.
    Business pays their way, and anyway this is a different argument, concerning policys on taxation of business.

Originally posted by pugwall
    NeRb666 & Minesajackdaniels
    Its muppets the same attitude to you two that has this country in the dire state that it is in. The streets of Dublin, the whole country for that matter are disgraceful.
    I think thatanyone who doesn't pay the charges should be imprisoned and black listed for credit in the future due to their selfish attitudes. They create the rubbish through their own consumption and should have to pay to have it taken away.

:mad:

Refusing to pay yet anther form of taxation does not make me a litter bug.

Don't label me selfish because you are stupid enough to sit around and let the government impose more taxes on us.

The waste disposal situation in this country is in the dire state it is because successive goverment's have had their heads up their arses for decades.

So go ahead and imprison me.

• Advertisement

And the rest of the country dont pay any of this, so its ok for them to be charged for the disposal of their waste? Get a grip.. Everyone else in the country has to pay for it, anyone who lives in dublin should be no different.

If the rest of the country choose to pay, then that's their problem. No household should have to pay for a basic service like this.

Originally posted by NeRb666
    If the rest of the country choose to pay, then that's their problem. No household should have to pay for a basic service like this.
    What planet are you living on? Are you for real!?

What planet are you living on? Are you for real!?

judging by your reaction, do u reckon all basic services that are paid already by the taxpayer should have a service charge like the present refuse charge and the water charge of the past ??
    y not have a health, education, garda, defence double tax as well ??
    The road tax which is supposed to pay for infrastructure already has a twin, its called VRT tax.

NeRb666;
    Don't label me selfish because you are stupid enough to sit around and let the government impose more taxes on us.

Im labeling you as selfish as you are refusing to take responsibility for your actions which have negitive effects on others ie ME and everyone else.
    I just believe in the polluter pays principal. If the service is free then people will take advantage of it and the take up on recycling will be extremely low as it is presently.

The waste disposal situation in this country is in the dire state it is because successive goverment's have had their heads up their arses for decades.

They are now doing something about it. They are tackeling the problem at its root: the polluters themselves.

y not have a health, education, garda, defence double tax as well ??
    gurramok you clown
    Household waste causes a NEGATIVE EFFECT on society:o

THATS WHY AS YOU SAY 'DOUBLE TAX' IT!

Health, education, Gardai, defence: POSITIVE EFFECTS.

Get it?:D

They are now doing something about it. They are tackeling the problem at its root: the polluters themselves.

ePugwall...polluter pays, fine....but who pollutes most ??
    by your argument u imply that the household pollutes most...not true !

The reason y we have a waste crisis(esp. in Dublin) is the nearly non-existence of re-cycling intiatives over many years, all the waste was thrown on landfills. It is not the householder who produces the majority of waste !
    Household waste causes a NEGATIVE EFFECT on society

that has always been the case, who likes to see ugly piles of waste anyway?, as i said b4, the point of refusing to pay this double tax is not my selfishness, but the responsibility of gov/corpo to use the taxes that i pay already and raised too often(too many taxes to list) to implement a waste strategy modelled on other countries. Now the gov is being forced to do so by the EU to implement more re-cycling, the sight and use of the recycling bins are welcome in my view, the conflict arises of who should pay for it, in this case the taxpayer is being forced(not asked) to pay for services already paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If ppl give in and pay this tax, it will, as happened with poll tax/council tax in the UK, go up by frightening amounts - well in excess of inflation each year. When I left London my council tax was the equivalent of 25% of my mortgage. It increased on average 10% each year. The only benefit I saw of this exhorbitant tax was someone coming to take away my rubbish.

Originally posted by Tazz T
    If ppl give in and pay this tax, it will, as happened with poll tax/council tax in the UK, go up by frightening amounts - well in excess of inflation each year. When I left London my council tax was the equivalent of 25% of my mortgage. It increased on average 10% each year. The only benefit I saw of this exhorbitant tax was someone coming to take away my rubbish.

Tazz there is actually a blatant hole in your logic, you are attempting to draw an analogy between the poll tax in the UK and the bin tax in Ireland and thus imply that the bin tax will go up becuase the poll tax went up when in reality there is no connection between the two. Or to put it simply as the two are not connected, just because the poll tax was put up does not mean the bin tax will be put up.
    QED as you have no proof.

Also for those of you who are claiming that you don't pay special Garda taxs I would point out that you do pay VAT, you do pay road tax and I would ask what right you have to decide which taxes you should and should not have to pay? I resent having to pay road tax with the roads on the north side of Dublin city so poorly maintained when compaired to the South side (which erks me more because I pay the same amount of tax), but if everyone on the north side of the city decided that they didn't really think it was fair to pay their road tax because "Trucks cause most of the maintenance" then the road infrastructure would simply collapse. The same argument applies to the bin tax, without it, it would not be possible to recycle properly, so unless you think that this lexicon of environmental issues is some kind of liberal plot to defraud you of your money I suggest you do your duty to the state and pay up.

It saddens me to notice how my fellow citizens can mistreat the streets so , just the other day a neighbour of mine had allowed two bags of rubbish that had burst to sit on his steps of two days running, and this on a street mostly comprised of Victorian and Georgian buildings, what do foreigners think of Ireland and the Irish when they see things like this? This was just off of Dorset street on a main road to the airport by the way, it points to an endemic ignorance of environmental issues of most Dubliners and also points to the contempt Dubliners have for this city (which is one of the oldest cities in Europe), therefore it is not really surprising that the same Dubliners refuse to pay their bin taxes en-masse, sure why do that when they can simply dump their rubbish onto the front doorstep and leave it for 'someone else' to take care of?

Tazz analogy is correct, bin tax is unjust and unfair like the poll tax was in uk. How do u know that the tax will not go up in price ??

Typedef, by your logic in your post, u imply that the gov/council have a right to impose any tax they want for any purpose y not have an oxygen tax as well ?!:)
    The same argument applies to the bin tax, without it, it would not be possible to recycle properly, so unless you think that this lexicon of environmental issues is some kind of liberal plot to defraud you of your money I suggest you do your duty to the state and pay up.

errr...come again ??, how do u come to the conclusion that without the bin tax it would not be possible to recycle properly ??
    Any extra costs that are incurred by recycling are paid for by direct and indirect taxes already thus no need for this type of tax.

As for road taxes, by your analogy with the bin tax, not everyone pays road tax the vehicle owners do.
    By all means educate the public about waste disposal and recycling but the blame & cost for lack of implementation of these intiatives lays with the mismanagement of our tax euros by successive govts, not the householder who pollutes the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I appreciate the arguement that has sprung up around the bin charges but my question is the same.

Do I have to pay the bin charges even tough I don't have a bin?

Advertisement