Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 exit roundabout?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭

Im curious as to 5 exit roundabouts ie a roundabout you are coming onto with 4 other exits, if you want to take the third last exit should you indicate right and take the inside of the roundabout pulling out after the 2nd exit? or should you only take the inside on the last exit of a roundabout regardless of the number of exits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

I was always informed that if you're passing the 12 o'clock mark (relative to where you enter from) then you take the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I am of the opinion that you take the inside lane after the fourth exit allows those who want to exit from where you came onto the roundabout to leave when they switch to the inside lane.

No one knows the exact rules for this but if you get on and off in one piece without being the cause of an accident then you have managed to successful negoiate the roundabout in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Logically, I think if you're taking any exit but the first 2 you should be on the inside lane (assuming there is only two lanes) otherwise it'd be very easy to cause an accident.

Alternatively you could come to Galway, go on to the 6 exit Headford Road roundabout and just do whatever the hell you feel like doing - 'cause that's exactly what everyone else here seems to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm also very curious about this. Anyone know who I contact to get a definitive answer? It might help someone if they're unfortunte enough to have an accident.

I've also another one. Two lanes approaching the roundabout. What if the 1st exit is straight through the round about and the 2nd is actually to the right. The lane to the left (normally the first exit) is a one-way onto the round about. In this case, can you be in either lane approaching the round about for both exits?

Thanks
    ambrose :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

You're probably best to observe what most others do at that particular roundabout because 5 exit roundabouts tend to be chaotic unless they're built on a huge scale. Go see the Walkinstown roundabout for a good example of when to throw the rules of the road out the window.

I'd imagine so - although i'd probably stay in the outside lane for the first (12 o'clock) exit and the inside lane for the second. It up to the traffic from the one way lane to only enter when the way is clear.

Regarding accidents on roundabouts, insurance companies will normally insist on 50-50 (in the UK anyway - not 100% if this is the same here).

Anyone any experience in this

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ann Elk wrote:
    Alternatively you could come to Galway, go on to the 6 exit Headford Road roundabout and just do whatever the hell you feel like doing - 'cause that's exactly what everyone else here seems to do!

Or the Mad Cow roundabout in Dublin, Kinsale roundabout in Cork and Parkway roundabout in Limerick. Law of the jungle applies on these roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The Swords roundabout has 5 exits. Whats worse is they've dug it up (again) and they seem to be at it for months, and it's still a mess.

Had a quick look at the rules of the road, and couldn't see a mention of more than 3 exits.

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

As far as I understood on normal 4 exit roundabouts the outside (left) lane should be used by cars turning left or going straight ahead, the insided (right) lane is for turning right or for coming back and leavng the exit you are entering. For places like the Walkinstown roundabout where there are more than 4 exits, the outside lane should be used by cars leaving the 1st and 2nd exits, the inside lane should be used for subsequent exits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dagger

Try looking at the road signs and road markings they will explain where you should be simple ;)

If in doubt stay in the insdie lane and just as you pass the exit before yours indicate check your blind spot and merge into the outside lane then repeat to exit notice 2 movements dont just indicate and drive straight across lanes that kills people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The roundabout in the centre of paris has 12 exits. A sight to behold! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bond-007 wrote:

Close yer eyes and go straight through!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have always believed that you use the outside lane for the 1st and 2nd exit, and the inside lane for the other lanes, regardless as to the amount of lanes, unless signage says otherwise.

At least, thats what my instructor told me, so I took him at his word!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bond-007 wrote:

I read somewhere that no insurance company in the world will insure your car on that roundabout as the accident risk factor is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here is a pic for anyone not familiar with that roundabout:

arial_arc_de_triomphe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:

And on this roundabout, you actually yield to people coming onto the roundabout, rather than yielding to people already on it when you access it.

edited:
    WRT to the original question, we checked this out at work because a colleague of ours had a minor accident on a roundabout. The left hand lane is for people taking the first and second exits. The right lane is for people taking 3rd or subsequent exits. Apparently, people taking the 2nd exit (going straight through) can also use the right lane.

I am pretty sure it was an Irish site that had this, will try and dig out a link tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Turning right at a roundabout will be considered as any exit on your right when approaching the roundabout, so everything after going straight on through will be turning right

The recommended procedure for turning right is postioning yourself in the right hand lane or inside lane

For going straight across it is recommended to keep to the left, if you can not get into the left lane safely for whatever reason then take the right hand lane and stay in it throughout the manoeuvre

DO NOT EVER move from the outer(keeping left) to the inner/right lane while on a roundabout.

to sum it up if your turning left or going straight on, keep left (a road user should always give way - so no danger there)

while turning right, take the middle/ right lane (whichever is applicable) and stay in it until you intend on exiting the roundabout - by this i dont mean switch to the left lane before turning off the roundabout, stay in the right until you are in a position to signal and safely turn into the exit while watching for traffic already in the left lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You have mixed up your left and rights eoin, but aside from that you are correct.
    Those rules apply regardless of the angles of the various exits.

unkel wrote:

arial_arc_de_triomphe.jpg

French insurance companies also have a standard disclaimer for accidents on that roundabout - no cover for anything other than the mandatory minimum third party liability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paris0110.jpg

After you Sir! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

John R wrote:
    You have mixed up your left and rights eoin, but aside from that you are correct.
    Those rules apply regardless of the angles of the various exits.

Thanks John R, edited original post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

22 replies and nobody mentioned Walkinstown ???? WTF?

Advertisement