Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV and C4 on Lidl receiver

Options
  • 17-04-2005 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

If it is possible to get ITV and C4 with a free viewing card on a Sky-box, how come you cannot get these stations on a Lidl receiver?
    We get BBC1, 2, 3, 4 and ITV3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are all encrypted and you need a Sky digibox with a card to view them. This is known as "Free to View" (although you have to pay for the card, but not an ongoing subscription).

The BBC channels are broadcast in the clear and so are called Free to Air. Any satellite receiver can be used to watch them.

Your Lidl receiver (or any other free to air receiver) does not have the software or the card to decode the Free to View channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In fact the free viewing card costs money (just a lot less than a sub) and it ONLY works in a Sky Digibox.

If you have a box that takes a BBC Prime card, a Netherlands equivalent or Swiss equivalen to the "freeviewSat card", the Sky card won't work in it.

Complain to EU competiton commision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

watty wrote:
    In fact the free viewing card costs money (just a lot less than a sub)

You see that would be why I said this .....
    This is known as "Free to View" (although you have to pay for the card, but not an ongoing subscription).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I hope one day somebody will invent the NDS cam and then we can watch whatever we like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pal wrote:
    I hope one day somebody will invent the NDS cam and then we can watch whatever we like.
    That's why SKY put the encryption on the card and change them all every few years. Also all SKY boxes can take a PCMCIA type card - doubt it would be a standard CAM - but that is another route for them if anyone ever breaks the encryption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NDS has invented the NDS CAM.

The slot on the back is in case the built in cam is compromised, and incase it is found to be illegal (I think it is) to only support a closed CAM and only in 3 EU states. Now if Bercellionii would complain to to EU about Sky Italia.... Then we might be able to to use other CAMs in the Digibox and a Sky supplied NDS CAM in a non-Sky recording box. The Sky+ box is very mad with its "recording rental". Even TIVO you can make a one off payment.

Many non-Sky HDD PVR with direct satellite input exist, and most can use EPG. I get a week worth of EPG from German Stations but only now/next from BBC as again the Sky weekly EPG is proprietary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

We were skirting around the issue before now, but we just crossed the line.

No discussion of encryption hacking. Ta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement