Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Horror Stories - We want them

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 itsm2

I obtained broadband in Dublin early this year ...7 months after I had applied to EsatBT. Due to circumstances I had to move house in February. I posted a request for cancelation to EsatBT. They continue to bill me ( in fact they are double billing me) and will bill until January next year. I no longer live in the house, cannot avail of the service.
    What can I do? 600 euro for two months of broadband service is extortionate in anybodys eyes.

Incidentally at my new address in Galway, I have discovered I am also tied into another 12 month contract.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

itsm2: email your details, name, account no, phone no, address etc to research@irelandoffline.org and I'll see what can be done.

D8 boy wrote:
    I live close to the Coombe in Dublin 8 about 2 km from Dolphin's Barn exchange. ...

Any ideas - should I nag the DSL carriers or take the plunge into Wireless

Ring them up. The website is crap. Ring Esat or UTV and see if you are enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Just over two years ago I first contacted Eircom to find out when I would be able to access DSL. Answer was 'we don't know, ring back in a few months and we might have more details'. So I rang back every couple of months and got the same answer for about a year.

Then a year ago I got the message that my exchange was not in the rollout plan and it would be 2005 at the earliest. I kept ringing and then shortly after the start of 2004 I was told that the exchange (Newtownmountkennedy) would be upgraded by March 2005 but no firm date.

So every quarter I rang to find out the score, they seem to update the sales people with the rollout plans on a quarterly basis, and was told some time before the end of 2004. Then I found out from a firend of a friend that the upgrade work was almost complete (this was in August). Then Gombin posted to the Broadband board that the exchange was done, and I went to the Eircom website only to find that my line failed.

I then talked to an Eircom engineer who happened to be doing some work in the house and found out from him that I had a splitter on the line and would be unable to get broadband. He did mention that they were upgrading the phone network in the area and that some lines would be freed up.

So I contacted Comreg to find out what the official position on pairgains was and was told that I should ask Eircom to remove it and if I didn't get a response to contact Comreg again and they would intervene. I then asked Comreg what they could do if Eircom did reply and said they wouldn't remove the pairgain. Their reply was nothing as they don't regulate the internet and as long as the line is capable of supporting voice and fax there was nothing they could do.

I ask specifically about the Functional Internet Access speed in the USO and was told again that Comreg don't regulate the internet. After picking myself up off the floor I thanked the lady for her 'help' and called Eircom.

I got through to the area manager who told me that he was unable to remove the pairgain as there was no lines free. I pointed out the work being doing locally to upgrade the network and he said he knew nothing about it, and he couldn't help me.

Next thought was the GBS, but when I looked at the DCMNR website I discovered that Wicklow was entitled to only a maximum grant of 18%. I tried to contact the co-ordinator of the GBS scheme but was unable to reach her to find out why such a low level of funding was being provided for Wicklow.

Then on to Eircom again to find out about their FWA Network, no joy here either. According to the person I spoke to it was not available yet and just like the start of my story to call back in a few months and they might have some more details then.

So to sum up - much phoning but no BB :(

M.

Mr_Man. Was all communication via the phone with ComReg ? I'd advise getting in contact again but by email instead. You need to get what they said to you in writing. This is vitally important.

David McRedmond said they'll listen to everyones complaint. Send it to him via morningireland@rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

damien.m wrote:

David McRedmond said they'll listen to everyones complaint.

and then promptly ignore them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Mr_Man wrote:
    So I contacted Comreg to find out what the official position on pairgains was and was told that I should ask Eircom to remove it and if I didn't get a response to contact Comreg again and they would intervene. I then asked Comreg what they could do if Eircom did reply and said they wouldn't remove the pairgain. Their reply was nothing as they don't regulate the internet and as long as the line is capable of supporting voice and fax there was nothing they could do.

I ask specifically about the Functional Internet Access speed in the USO and was told again that Comreg don't regulate the internet

Do you have either of the bits I highlighted in writing ,simply because they are wrong !

M

Folks,

the communication was by phone, I will email them now that Eircom have refused to remove the pairgain and see what the response is.

Does anyone have an email address for Comreg as their website only has a complaint form which makes it difficult to keep an email copy of what you send to them ?

M.

Send a copy to info@irelandoffline.org in the same email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

We're getting DSL from IOL/esat in the house i've just moved into and it's taking 4-5 weeks for Eircom to release the line / set it up in the exchange (basically, the time before IOL/esat can do anything with it).

Anecdotally, I believe if you order eircom's DSL you don't have this massive wait.

Presumably they aren't allowed do this on purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davewcelbridge

I'm am really annoyed at eircom atm. i cancelled my free UTV Trial to go with eircom BB cos they didnt want to pay 99euro of bloodmoney. So i ordered eircom afterwards, nearly three weeks ago. I rang to check the status of the order and still it is not in the system even, which means my 10-15 working day lead time has not even begun yet. This is insane and unnacceptable. I complained to eircom complaints who were extremely unproffessional, obviously all the trainees go to complaints first, and to comreg. neither eircom, nor comreg have returned my calls.
    i also got the usual "my supervisor is in a meeting at the moment" routine. anyone else have similar or same experience.
    I'm gonna seriously injure the next eircom staff member i meet.

UPDATE: I received a call from Comreg who offered to send an email over to eircom. So i said ok. Still no news. Until, last nite: phone rings, someone from eircom, so i speak to them and tell them what is going on and when i have finally gone over the details they inform me that they dont deal with complaints, i ask, what do you deal with, and the responses is "I was just wondering would you like to sign up to eircom talktime". Obviously sales have staff to spare while BB and complaints Depts are seriously understaffed.

It is now 21 september ( i ordered on Sept 3), my order has still not been entered into the system, my complaint has not been answered and i am on the internet using 56k dial which is quite frankly intolerable. I am disgusted at eircom who when i moved from UTV to them claimed to provide the best customer service and the best telephone network around. BS!!!#

my email address is: davidwallacekildare < AT > hotmail <DOT> com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Wexford2004

Mine is happening at the moment!! I decided to go with UTV broadband all was great.. After a while I started to wonder where is my Modem!! I rang UTV support and they were friendly and helpful and in turn they contacted the delivery service. They said they they tried to deliver it tuesday 14th Sept but no-one was in!!!! Weird I thought as I was in and no card was left through the letterbox! I arranged to have it delivered to my work address on tuesday but wahey nothing arrived!! I have spent over an hour trying to get through to UTV with no success which has led me to think that perhaps everyone is having problems because not even the Tax Office makes you wait an hour on hold ;) I sent them a nice email but I'm sure like my previous weeks email it will be assigned a ticket number and never responded to!!! At this point I just think I will switch over to Esat as I'm sure this could be an indication of UTV's service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fiacla

This is my story.Most of it seems unbelievable but disappointed as I am in ESAT I still could never bring myself to do business willingly with that company known as 'eircon'.

2 months ago I rang up Esat and applied to get onto their three month broadband trial.
    I was told I would have broadband in 10 days.

3 weeks later I get a phone call saying that the bank details and sort code I gave them must be in error as their computer wasnt accepting them.

Annoyed as you would expect, I got my bank statement and read the number out again to find it was the same number I had originally given.Then I hear Im back to the begining of the 10 day waiting period yet again.

2 weeks later I went on my summer holidays to sunny spain.while I was away a phone call had been received by a relative from ESAT questioning my bank account details and sort code etc.
    I get back home and ring ESAT up expecting this to be about the broadband as otherwise I have no other business dealings with them.
    Imagine my surprise when Im told that Im at fault for giving out the wrong account number and sort code.
    I rush upstairs grab a bank statement and read out the number again only for the person at esat to say:' thats the same number you originally gave us'.
    I ring my bank the Permanent TSB and the helpful staff assure me that ESAT obviously has issues and its not my fault as I have always given the correct number.
    2 months have gone by now and I get a phone call back from an ESAT staff member saying my number had finally validated.
    I simply cannot believe the incompetance of staff who need my hand holding and require me to return from my holidays in order to force the numbers through the system.
    After all this crap I am told that I am back to the end of 10 days waiting list as if I had applied for the first time.And ideally it should be 10 days but lately its one month before the modem gets shipped.

At this time over 2 months have passed and also a crazy internet Eircom phone bill of over 500 Euro .I design websites and use the net a lot for my education.You see I thought I could rely on ESAT to get my broadband set up in time and had used up my monthly allowance way too early.
    It seems unbelieveable that its 2 months since I first requested broadband and still no show from them.

IM sorely disillusioned by esats lack of basic customer service and simply canot wait for NTL to provide cable internet in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaireadM

I live in a suburb of Galway where broadband is available though I wasn't aware of this when I moved into this area in August of this year 2004. I just recently moved to Galway from London. The house I moved into had not had a telephone connection for the last 15 years. There was no cable from the nearest telephone pole adjoining the house.

I asked Eircom for a broadband connection but they informed me that there is no way of knowing if broadband would be available on my line until I got a connection. I therefore went ahead with the order making it clear that I wanted broadband. I got a connection within 3 weeks in September. I was then informed that my line connection was not of sufficient quality to get broadband. I was vaguely told it could be that I am too far from the exchange and believing this took Eircom'e advice to get an addditional ISDN line which I now have.

I was later surprised to find out that my neighbour who has a connection from the same pole as my connection has broadband. I now believe that my new connection was a split line which is why broadband is not possible as I am sharing bandwidth with a neighbour.

What I would like to know if I can get Eircom to unsplit this line and what recourse do I have with Eircom to give me a broadband connection.

I have complained to Eircom and Comreg but got the response 'sorry but there is nothing we can do. Once your line fails, that is the end of it. Eircom have no further obligation'

Yours a very frustrated Galway Resident

I have not yet got a bill for the second ISDN connection.

MaireadM,

you should be able to use the ISDN line to get BB, you will porabably need to downgrade the line to see if the BB will work, and if not reupgrade the line. According to some recent posts on this matter the fee should be nominal.

As for getting no useful response from either Eircom or Comreg, welcome to Ireland in the 21st Century, or should that be the 19th :0

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

MaireadM wrote:
    I asked Eircom for a broadband connection but they informed me that there is no way of knowing if broadband would be available on my line until I got a connection. I therefore went ahead with the order making it clear that I wanted broadband. I got a connection within 3 weeks in September. I was then informed that my line connection was not of sufficient quality to get broadband. I was vaguely told it could be that I am too far from the exchange and believing this took Eircom'e advice to get an addditional ISDN line which I now have.

I now believe that my new connection was a split line which is why broadband is not possible as I am sharing bandwidth with a neighbour.

What I would like to know if I can get Eircom to unsplit this line and what recourse do I have with Eircom to give me a broadband connection.

You ordered a line TO GET BB so they shoulda told you they could provide it without splitting it and therefore you cannot get BB as a consequence .

Email phil.nolan@eircom.ie and tell him to fix now it or refund you for all the lines installed under false pretences and disconnect same forthwith . You will win in the small claims court. Meanwhile get NTL Cable installed .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boredband

I subscribed to Irishbroadbands Ripwave Home Starter after receiving the modem i tried using it. But i couldn't because there is no signal on my modem. I tried for days to find a signal but still failed. I rang them and told the problem. They referred me to their engineer and they said they will increase the signal. So i tried the next day. I was excited coz there is a signal. But when i started using the internet the damn signal is not enough coz the signal keeps on falling. That means i get disconnected from time to time and you know what the speed is so slow that you will prefer the dial-up connection rather than IRISHBROADBAND'S Ripwave bored-band!!! :mad: so please dont subscribed to irishbroadband coz its another Ireland Rip-off.. By the way Damien will it be possible to recover the installation fee €100 and 2 months fee i paid to them?
    damien.m wrote:
    I'm looking for everyones horror stories about getting Broadband or not getting it. I'm looking for as much detail as possible from anyone that's had a bad experience getting broadband.

Things like delays(12 weeks to get it), various faults and obstacles, who you had to communicate with before it got resolved. Many of you have posted your experiences here already and I'd appreciate it if you linked me to those posts.

I may also need your name and email address for proof that we are not making these stories up. If you want to send us on copies of email communications ad letters etc, please do so.

What IOFFL wants to do is to compile a report of the horror stories and distribute this report to the various Telcos, the press, Comreg and the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sorry to hear boredband.. IBB Ripwave does seem to work well for some, and not at all for others. If you can't get the service to work, then yes, you are entitled to your money back .. but that does depend on how bad it is. It sounds like it works, just not very well.. in which case you're into grey territory as to your refund entitlements. If it works most of the time, stay on their case to get the problems sorted.

Don't forget that Ripwave does have a high contention ratio, so you are, essentially, sharing the bandwidth with other users in your area. So if you notice it happening especially in the early evening, it may just be that.

But stay on their case, even if it is exhausting. If you're definitely not getting a usable service, then seek a refund.

.cg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely a story like this merits being forwarded formally by IrelandOffLine to the Esat CEO?

Might also be worth forwarding a copy to Comreg just for the record anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bootbender

Hi Folks,
    Just joined your community today following a search for problems relating to getting broadband. Love the board and will be here more often. Anyway my situation is that in late September of last year I went online and signed up for broadband (advantage plus) with ESATbt. I already have an iol anytime account. After waiting for six or seven weeks I rang and finally they told me no order was on the system. I went through the order process with the guy on the phone and was told my phone account would be changed within 10 days and to expect broadband connection within three weeks. Having recieved no confirmation or anything from them I rang again in January of this year to find that my details were not on the system and told to try again online as they had difficulties over the past three months. I was unable to proceed online as I was being told my username or my phone no. had already been allocated. I rang again and this time the girl started to process my info only to tell me that she couldn't proceed. She said she would call Tech support to see what the problem was. After waiting fifteen minutes she gets back to me to say there is a problem and that I would be contacted by either phone or email within a few days. Guess what..............three weeks later no contact. I emailed my query to them and recieved a message back that I would be contacted within 48hrs.........that was a week ago.

Has anyone here had such chronic hassle in getting broadband with ESATbt?

PS: I have checked the line with eircom and it passed but when I try to sign up online with them I get the following message:
    "Our records show that the account number and phone number that you have supplied,have already been registered on the site. Please ensure you have entered your correct account details and proceed."

Just wondering if I have made a balls up....oh well any advice most welcome

Thank you for your time

Bootbender

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bootbender wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    Just joined your community today following a search for problems relating to getting broadband. Love the board and will be here more often. Anyway my situation is that in late September of last year I went online and signed up for broadband (advantage plus) with ESATbt. I already have an iol anytime account. After waiting for six or seven weeks I rang and finally they told me no order was on the system. I went through the order process with the guy on the phone and was told my phone account would be changed within 10 days and to expect broadband connection within three weeks. Having recieved no confirmation or anything from them I rang again in January of this year to find that my details were not on the system and told to try again online as they had difficulties over the past three months. I was unable to proceed online as I was being told my username or my phone no. had already been allocated. I rang again and this time the girl started to process my info only to tell me that she couldn't proceed. She said she would call Tech support to see what the problem was. After waiting fifteen minutes she gets back to me to say there is a problem and that I would be contacted by either phone or email within a few days. Guess what..............three weeks later no contact. I emailed my query to them and recieved a message back that I would be contacted within 48hrs.........that was a week ago.

Has anyone here had such chronic hassle in getting broadband with ESATbt?

PS: I have checked the line with eircom and it passed but when I try to sign up online with them I get the following message:
    "Our records show that the account number and phone number that you have supplied,have already been registered on the site. Please ensure you have entered your correct account details and proceed."

Just wondering if I have made a balls up....oh well any advice most welcome

Thank you for your time

Bootbender

It is incredible to think what Companies like Esat spend on advertising and then they treat people like this! Email a copy of your post to Esat CEO <Bill.Murphy@esat.com>and see what happens. Might be worth sending a copy of the email to Comreg as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

esat/bt are pitiful. If we were playing charades I could say that they sound like bankers but If I give you my true impressions of them I would be banned for life from these boards.

Dub45 had a good idea in sending an email to the CEO of esat/bt although personally I think that no matter who you contact in that company you will get the same ****ty reply.

do contact comreg as suggested and tell them of your problems and I am fairly sure that you will see results within a few days.

I've had ongoing billing problems with them and despite assurances and promises from all the different customer support people I contacted the problem remained. I went to Comreg and was sorted out in a couple of days.

Try this.......... http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bootbender

Thanks guys,

Will keep you posted

bootbender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 1340harley

After 2 years of chasing and questioning still no luck on the broadband front. Even dialup sucks.. :mad:

Latest response from Eircom below:

Firstly, I can confirm that the two lines we provide to you, served from our Carriganimmy exchange are both delivered to you via a digital Carrier system. This exchange supports 134 working lines to the community surrounding you and is running at full capacity; there are no spare cables to provide dedicated lines to you alone. Carriers are used in our networks as a legitimate means to provide capacity, particularly given the rapid rise in demands that we have experienced in Ireland over the past number of years. They do provide the continued delivery of voice telephony and data transmission for functional internet access as required under our obligations as the provider of Universal Service throughout Ireland.

To provide further capacity such that dedicated lines could be provided to you, we have ascertained that it would be necessary to undertake substantial work to provide new cabling from the exchange, erect 27 new poles with the consequent overhead cable, at an estimated minimum cost in excess of € 60,000. Along with the various obligations that apply to us, as you indicate in your note, we have a duty to invest efficiently to ensure that we can offer affordable prices to all customers and for this reason we would not choose to make this investment at this time.

It would appear to be all my own fault for not choosing to live in the lobby of their head office although they do suggest their wonderful alternative - DSL Satellite product

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My In-laws run a family business from the home, and they have come to the realisation that they badly need broadband.

With this in mind, they have begun the tortuous journey in the quest for broadband. They live in Leixlip, and have three lines going into the home office - two for voice and a fax line. Up to now, they have been getting the standard 16.8k on the modem. The house is in one of the older housing estates, a neighbour just across the road has broadband.

Eircom have predictably told them they are unable to get broadband, I have a feeling it is because there is a splitter on the line to create the three lines. Can anyone give me some background info on how Eircom would typically split a line in this manner? I have a feeling it is one line split in two,followed by a second split to give three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Upgrade 2 of them to ISDN and they will remove the splitters, cancel the third.

Put the existing numbers on the ISDNs

Upgrade 1 ISDN to BB later, short term it will work with a modem at about 52k

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hmmm, never thought of the ISDN approach.

I might get them to upgrade the Fax line (and plug the fax machine into the analogue port of the TA).

The reason I would not touch the other lines is that they have a sort of mini-PBX installed, and I am not sure how compatible it would be with ISDN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I just moved into a new estate, and i'm exhausted ringing Eircom and they're extremely un-professional and ignorant sales staff. My situation:

New house
    5 lines in next door in site office - 15 feet from my house.
    Active Eircom box outside on my path
    According to site foreman, It would take an Eircom engineer 10 minutes to connect me.

I fully realise that it's a new property and that it may take time, But I'm ringing Eircom solid for a month, Each representative says the area probably needs wires layed etc, no understanding that the infrastructure is there already. Sales staff that have the most condesending manner, not to mention they ignore what you're saying. Then to kill the call say that they finally understand and will have a local engineer ring me within 48 hours. I had this said to me THREE TIMES in the past fortnight - I was told during the last call that 'no-one in Eircom would tell you an engineer would would call' - essentially calling me a liar!!

Still no word from anyone. I was sent out a contract to sign in Early January - which I did, and returned and STILL NO WORD.

I'm a webdesigner and need the web; NTL are out of reach and for a supposid free marketplace, I'm stuck with Eircom and they're snail-pace business. NOT HAPPY. After all this, it probably won't be broadband enabled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

It might be useful if posters gave their locations. Somebody on Boards might know of an alternative provider or a Group Broadband Scheme.
    thegills

• Advertisement

We're looking for the people who have had:

(a) extreme problems getting broadband

(b) had to wait 2 months or more for the service (compared to the promised
    delivery time of 10 days from Eircom)

(c) have ended up having to pay for broadband under a free trial offer, or
    who otherwise felt they've been misled by advertisement?

If you want to tell your story can you email: research@irelandoffline.org

Thanks.
    Damien.

Advertisement