Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything constructive I can do about this discrimination?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,220 ✭✭✭✭looksee

smacl wrote: »
    The syllabus as published by the NCCA for senior cycle religious education makes no references to Catholicism. It does give undue emphasis to Christianity, to the point that by my reading it assumes Christianity to be the one true religion while being careful to avoid explicitly stating this. It could be seen as replacing direct religious instruction with Christian apologetics and clearly conflates morality, truth and justice with religion, thus propping up the church while trying to appear pluralistic. I can't see any reason why this would be anything other than an optional subject for the religiously inclined, and would certainly see it as an intrusion on freedom of religious expression for anyone other than a Christian.

Agreed, I mis-remembered it, you are corect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The syllabus as published by the NCCA for senior cycle religious education makes no references to Catholicism. It does give undue emphasis to Christianity, to the point that by my reading it assumes Christianity to be the one true religion while being careful to avoid explicitly stating this. It could be seen as replacing direct religious instruction with Christian apologetics and clearly conflates morality, truth and justice with religion, thus propping up the church while trying to appear pluralistic. I can't see any reason why this would be anything other than an optional subject for the religiously inclined, and would certainly see it as an intrusion on freedom of religious expression for anyone other than a Christian.

Considering Ireland has been a broadly Christian country for over a thousand years, this shouldn't really come as any surprise. It amuses me how people get their knickers in a twist over this. Christianity, even as a philosophy, has so many positive aspects. Its basic premise is one of respect for others. Why should people be offended by this? Some people need to get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The practice is rather different from the theory - both in relation to your post Harry and in relation to the RE syllabus.

The syllabus may appear to be "inclusive" (although decidedly not to non-christians) but in practice the books used in RC schools explicitly support RC positions rather than broad christian ones.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Considering Ireland has been a broadly Christian country for over a thousand years, this shouldn't really come as any surprise. It amuses me how people get their knickers in a twist over this. Christianity, even as a philosophy, has so many positive aspects. Its basic premise is one of respect for others. Why should people be offended by this? Some people need to get over themselves.

The only people that need to get over themselves are those who would insist on making this format or religious education mandatory for those who do not share their religious beliefs. The thread relates to a teacher refusing to allow parents of a child to opt out of a religion class, which is in violation of their constitutional and human rights. Whether or not you think that Christianity as a philosophy has positive aspects is neither here nor there, I daresay you could find similar positive aspects in Islam, Hindu or wanting to become a Jedi knight for that matter. It doesn't give you the right to foist your beliefs on other peoples kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The only people that need to get over themselves are those who would insist on making this format or religious education mandatory for those who do not share their religious beliefs. The thread relates to a teacher refusing to allow parents of a child to opt out of a religion class, which is in violation of their constitutional and human rights. Whether or not you think that Christianity as a philosophy has positive aspects is neither here nor there, I daresay you could find similar positive aspects in Islam, Hindu or wanting to become a Jedi knight for that matter. It doesn't give you the right to foist your beliefs on other peoples kids.

Your response is indicative of the obvious chip on your shoulder. OP is complaining about 2 hours a week out of his/her child's academic life. It's pathetic. As I said, Christianity as a philosophy is admirable. It's nothing like Islam or Hinduism, or "Jedi". There are far more important things in life to get vexed about - this isn't one of them but then again the nature of this forum is to bash Christianity at every opportunity. In fact, the nature of the Christianity forum is the same - probably the only forum on Boards where trolling is tolerated, if not positively encouraged. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Apologies if this may offend your sensitivities ;)

• Advertisement

Mod: Coming in here and talking about 'chips on shoulders', and describing people as 'pathetic' because they don't agree with your religious outlook! That sounds a lot like trolling to me. Fortunately it looks as though you have decided to take your trolling elsewhere so we will not pursue this. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Choochtown wrote: »
    My son is in 5th year in a VEC secondary school and has opted out of religion.

The principal has backed the teacher and said that if my son wants to do something in religion class he must bring a book relevant to his own faith (he is not religious whatsoever) and read it in class!

Bring a science book to class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As I said, Christianity as a philosophy is admirable. It's nothing like Islam or Hinduism, or "Jedi". There are far more important things in life to get vexed about

So why come here all vexed? The fact that Christian philosophy may be different from other religious or non-religious philosophies doesn't make it any better. Hindu philosophy for example includes yoga among other things, which many people find very beneficial. It doesn't mean we need it as a mandatory non-exam subject for the leaving cert, even though it arguably would be of far more benefit.
    Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Apologies if this may offend your sensitivities

Apologies accepted though no offence caused. You enjoy the rest of your Sunday too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Frowzy wrote: »
    I see everyone's point here, and I'm not religious myself. Two things spring to mind here as a parent of a child in LC cycle also:

(1) We can't opt out of everything in life.
    Education for our children is obviously to teach them about life; as well as academic work they have subjects like PE, Religion, Computing and LCVP. Only LCVP is an exam subject but each of the other options equally teach our children about being adults as well as a life skill.
    If we allow our children to opt out of everything then are we as parents teaching them to be intolerant of everything outside of their personal beliefs or interests? Sometimes in life we have to do, or put up with, things that don't directly concern us. That's life. It's an hour a week that may just teach our children that there are other viewpoints or life experiences outside of their tunnel vision.

(2) Religion these days isn't just about Christianity
    In religion class these days students don't just read the bible or learn about the life of Jesus of Nazereth as we did in my days at school. Currently they are taught about all the other religions, beliefs and options out there. My personal belief is that to be a well rounded member of society that it is important that our children understand the viewpoints and beliefs of other religions/beliefs, otherwise how can they respect others viewpoints? And if they can't respect other people's viewpoints then how can they respect theirs to be respected.
    Now I can only speak for my own child's school and they have a very fair and open curriculum for Religion class, perhaps it would help you if you requested a copy if the curriculum being taught.

This is just my perspective, and I know that in my child's school they have a very understanding Principal and Religion Teacher. I hope that you can work this out and achieve the best outcome for your own child. Twiddling their thumbs for the year is not the answer.
    I believe that what I said was that the subjects teach them about being adults as well as life skills.

If the Religion class is being taught right (i.e. Teaching about other religions and beliefs) students can learn understanding and tolerance as well as patience. Huge life skills which can be used in the simplest of situations such as staff canteens for example.

Of course as my post also said this will only work if the teaching is broader than learning about the life of Jesus of Nazereth.
    Apologies for being boring and pedantic by quoting two replies, however I feel that it's important to note that my posts have said that understanding, patience and tolerance are important. My belief, which I understand differs to yours, is that we can only be patient and tolerant when we understand where the other persons beliefs come from. Therefore a Religion class that teaches about other beliefs is helpful. Not being able to opt out of everything that differs from your personal beliefs can also promote understanding, patience and tolerance.

I totally get what you're saying about budgeting etc, in my day we had civics class, and some of this was intended to be included in LCVP, but that again is an opt out subject, and whether or not these topics are included remains (for me at least) to be seen.

Of course as parents we cannot abdicate all of this type of education to the schools, some of these life skills are instilled mostly in the home. All the skills we've both mentioned above can be taught from a young age in the home also. This is where my point about whether allowing our children to opt out of anything that differs from our or theirs viewpoint may not be right (I'm not saying I'm right). However from class discussion children will learn so much about others viewpoints that they will not learn in our homes. Personally I think this too is important.
    To repeat myself: none of this (or what you said before) really answers my questions:
    How does a religion class actually teach of this?
    Why should it be taught specifically through religion classes when patience and tolerance go far beyond religious beliefs?
    These are simple questions, your continued avoidance of answering these indicates that you don't actually have an answer to them. I don't know where you learned to debate, but where I learned taught me not to make claims that I couldn't justify just because I feel/want them to be right.
    looksee wrote: »
    Mod: Frowzy, if you have comments to make about moderation you should take them to feedback. Mark Hamill asked a question about your views and you refused to answer it on the basis that you had already answered it, which you had not in the context that MH was querying. Robindch simply pointed out that in a discussion forum you engage in the discussion.

Mark Hamill did not say that you had claimed that religion teaches patience and tolerance. He said that you had claimed these could be taught in religion class. His question is - why is a religion class specifically suited to this teaching, even allowing for the fact that other religions can be discussed? The syllabus makes it clear that this course is intended to be Christian, even Roman Catholic based. This is not necessary for teaching about different religions and/or moral and ethical behaviour.

I have answered Marks questions previously, if a moderator is going to reprimand me for not answering his questions please ensure you read my previous posts. If Mark is to moderate the forum from the backseat then so be it, but he's just asking questions I have already given my answers to. Even though I will again be reprimanded for quoting so many posts I have to because it's obvious that I have expressed my viewpoint and reasons for same previously.

Obviously there is no continuity here and if you disagree with a poster you will be reprimanded. I hate repeating myself!

OP, I am delighted that you got a successful outcome. I'm sorry the thread got derailed and I am appalled that any teacher shhold teach such hateful content in a school. This is for the principal to deal with not you.

I wish your son all the best for the future and am glad that he is strong enough to stand up for his beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Your response is indicative of the obvious chip on your shoulder. OP is complaining about 2 hours a week out of his/her child's academic life. It's pathetic. As I said, Christianity as a philosophy is admirable. It's nothing like Islam or Hinduism, or "Jedi". There are far more important things in life to get vexed about - this isn't one of them but then again the nature of this forum is to bash Christianity at every opportunity. In fact, the nature of the Christianity forum is the same - probably the only forum on Boards where trolling is tolerated, if not positively encouraged. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Apologies if this may offend your sensitivities ;)

If your pig ignorant attitude is a result of your Christian values, you can keep them.
    I'm sticking with the spaghetti monster.

• Advertisement

Mod: I think that pretty much wraps it up for this discussion, the OP got a satisfactory conclusion and good discussion was had, but we seem to have run out of useful contributions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement