Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle lifespan?

Options
  • 25-05-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I have a 14' Defy the white and red one and there's 13k kms on my stock factory saddle. I wonder it's time for change? For some reason I feel it hurts my bottom more than before, finding myself moving around on the saddle looking a less punishing spot.
    Or it's me getting softer? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

padyjoe wrote: »
    I have a 14' Defy the white and red one and there's 13k kms on my stock factory saddle. I wonder it's time for change? For some reason I feel it hurts my bottom more than before, finding myself moving around on the saddle looking a less punishing spot.

I've never had to replace a saddle to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Never heard of it, and both my saddles would have many times that.

Maybe time to renew your cycling shorts?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a Selle Italia saddle, That I got in 1999. It has been relegated to my "going to the shops" bike in the last couple of years, but I reckon, theres about 40,000kms on it, and still in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

your rear is coming out of its winter hibernation. Less insulation is now adding to sore-arsed-ness

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

I have gone through a half a dozen saddles over the last 6 years... each saddle is great to start with but after about a year it slowly turns to an instrument of torture.
    Not sure if my backside is adapting to a new saddle over time which in turn leads to discomfort then pain and sometimes saddle sores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It could be the saddle, or it could be your arse.
    You should try an Occam Razr :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

So are you saying that my bum is big? :-) Ok, thanks for the inputs! Have to check the shorts out! I've read the advice before that no underwear is meant to be worn with the shorts. Could that cause something?
    TBH I'm not happy with the thoughts of heading into a public place with no underwear. Obviously there are the shorts but I kinda would feel naked without it. They're tight fitting enough and I'm a 100kg bundle of joy. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I too am up around the 100kg mark and sometimes my bottom can also be tender. Usually after a bit of a gap off the bike or a sudden increase in distances.
    More time in the saddle should help, but it is possible that the saddle is no longer a comfortable fit for you.

So, it's certainly not worn out, but it might not be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So are you saying that my bum is big? :-) Ok, thanks for the inputs! Have to check the shorts out! I've read the advice before that no underwear is meant to be worn with the shorts. Could that cause something?
    TBH I'm not happy with the thoughts of heading into a public place with no underwear. Obviously there are the shorts but I kinda would feel naked without it. They're tight fitting enough and I'm a 100kg bundle of joy. :-D

Before you spend money on a new saddle, try going commando. Go on, just give it a go. Deep down, you know, it's the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Extra weight on your upper body with delicate skin around the contact area are two of the biggest problems finding a comfy saddle. Sit bone structure is, IMO, often a red herring.

Losing weight and regular cycling will ease the pressure on your sit bones along with toughening up your skin. Then you'll have a broader range of saddles to choose from.

Leather saddles tend to last longest but it depends on what you wear on the bike and if you leave it out in the elements. Jeans are tough on saddles that have fabric covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

The whole point of the shorts padding is for it to be next to your skin, I also use a chamois cream, well worth investing in. Vaselline is a no no.
    Sweaty underwear his or hers is a major no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Saddles to get a tad more flexible over time & use.

It might be that you bum prefers a stiff less flexible (or new) saddle, as counter intuitive as that might seem.

Once I've broken in a saddle, I tend to raise the seatpost by a couple of millimetres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Losing weight and regular cycling will ease the pressure on your sit bones along with toughening up your skin. Then you'll have a broader range of saddles to choose from.
    or could it be the case that losing weight simply means that the saddle which fit best before is now no longer a good fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

or could it be the case that losing weight simply means that the saddle which fit best before is now no longer a good fit?

Possibly, but there's more downward force with extra torso weight, creating more compression.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

secman wrote: »
    The whole point of the shorts padding is for it to be next to your skin, I also use a chamois cream, well worth investing in. Vaselline is a no no.
    Sweaty underwear his or hers is a major no no.

Just curious as to why Vaseline is a no no !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

ciaeim wrote: »
    Just curious as to why Vaseline is a no no !!

I used vaseline for years and on long rides still got some chaffing and soreness. Switched to using proper chamois cream about a year ago and the difference is very noticeable. It's pricey , I tend to use Assos, it has a "cooling " effect , anti bacterial and bottom line is, it works much better. Haven't had any chaffing or soreness in a long time. Seems to be better for the cycling gear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I'm not happy with the thoughts of heading into a public place with no underwear...
    Would you wear underwear under swimming togs while on a public beach?

As has been said, underwear is a complete no no and defeats the purpose of cycling shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I think the only solution is to change your bike. G'wan, you know you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I tried without underwear, didn't even notice it's not there. I don't see my @rse anyway! :-) There's some improvement, more cooling flow. I've managed 190k this week and hoping for more if the weather allows.

After finishing the spin my bottom is still in one piece, don't have any pain or soreness(have Sudocream in the drawer ;-) ). I might try a new saddle but there so many to choose from!

Thanks to all for their inputs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have you had a bike fit done? I'm 99.9% sure this fixes 98% of arse soreness, 100% of the time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I have a Selle SMP Extra with 80000 km on it , still comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

I ride a specialized romin and it's hull cracked after three years of fairly moderate use.. According to people on the bike forums, the early romin saddles have acquired a reputation for failing... Would prefer to ride something more durable, but nothing cradles my hind quarters more comfortably than the original thinly padded romin..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been using a Defy saddle (Giant Performance Road) for 22,000km. It's not the most comfortable saddle out there, imo but it's served me well. No change in comfort over the distance.

Advertisement