Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Router change

Options
  • 08-11-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    I hope someone can help, I recently got imagine lte installed in my house (the speeds are great), I just have one issue, the router they supplied is poor. It only has 2 lan ports and I need 4 to connect up my things around it.

You cant log into the box so I'm guessing bridging isn't an option? Anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get around this? Can I just swap out the router plugged into the Cat5 from the external antenna?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Dero

You can't change the router, and the last time I spoke with them, they had no bridging solution available. They said they were working on providing one, but I won't hold my breath.

As a compromise/work-around, you can connect your own router to an Ethernet port on theirs, and get them to disable their WiFi and put your router in their DMZ. That is the closest you can get to making their equipment transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A very simple solution to one problem is to place a small 4port switch underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Tobin15 wrote: »
    You cant log into the box so I'm guessing bridging isn't an option? Anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get around this? Can I just swap out the router plugged into the Cat5 from the external antenna?

Thanks
    Router I've got has 56V rated PSU in order to supply power over the Ethernet,so it is very unlikely u could just swap it to any other router.
    I wonder if stand-alone power over the Ethernet injector cable will do the job ?
    Probably have to dig more regarding antenna/LTE modem power specification :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Edit: Oops wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Tobin15 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope someone can help, I recently got imagine lte installed in my house (the speeds are great), I just have one issue, the router they supplied is poor. It only has 2 lan ports and I need 4 to connect up my things around it.

Thanks

Like Dero suggested, I added my own router and disabled the wifi on the Imagine one. Works like a dream all over the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 johnyhealy

Hey Guys;

I'm in the middle of building a house and have pre-ordered Imagine's service. The house will have cat 6 cables running to most rooms and gonna have these terminating in attic. In you experience should i just be able to connect in a 8/16 port switch to share the connection around the house or will I need to ask Imagine support to do something on the router?
    Very annoying that the router is locked down.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

johnyhealy wrote: »
    Hey Guys;

I'm in the middle of building a house and have pre-ordered Imagine's service. The house will have cat 6 cables running to most rooms and gonna have these terminating in attic. In you experience should i just be able to connect in a 8/16 port switch to share the connection around the house or will I need to ask Imagine support to do something on the router?
    Very annoying that the router is locked down.:mad:

An ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Imagine router into any port on the switch and you should have service all through the house. No configuration changes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnyhealy

Yeah that what I thought but wanted to confirm.

Thanks for coming back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Just wondering if anyone has since managed to replace their Router or have it put in Bride mode?  Looking into solutions for better coverage at home house.  Powerline adaptors\AP just not reliable enough.  Better router or Mesh system might be the answer - but i'm wondering how easy that is to set up with Imagine.

<dupe sorry>

• Advertisement

<dupe sorry>

Advertisement