Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20k euro to invest

Options
  • 19-03-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everybody,
    I have about 20k to invest. I am a total amateur at these sort of things. I would be looking for a broker to handle my affairs in relation to buying shares etc. Can anyone make suggestions on the current best broker in ireland or abroad to use or the best way to use the 20k? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What is your risk appetite?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lostinlife

myshirt wrote: »
    What is your risk appetite?

Moderate to risk

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Before jumping straight into investing the 20K, you need to ask yourself ALOT of questions, even moreso since you indicate you are a "total amateur". Im also an amateur, so Im not judging BTW!

Investing is not something to be done in isolation, just because you have the 20K. There could be far better uses for the 20K that you havent considered. For example, is this "play money" and can you afford to lose all of it OR will losing this 20K mean your quality of life is drastically reduced for the next 5 years? My immediate questions when anyone asks about a investing X amount is as follows:
    • What age are you
    • What existing savings have you
    • Why do you want to save or invest (and do you know the difference?)
    • Have you any high interest debts like car loan/credit card etc
    • Have you an SVR mortgage
    • Have you a rainy day fund of 3-6 months salary
    • Have you a pension
    • Have you kids
    • Are you married
    • Have you any investment property
    • What exactly constitutes success for any investment portfolio
    • How long are you happy to be without this money
    • What would you do if value dropped 30% overnight
    • What is your tax rate
    • Are you taxed in Ireland

You need to be able to answer those honestly before investing in anything. Simply giving 20K to a broker, forgetting about it and hoping it turns into say 60K in a few years is not realistic IMO.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NoviceInvestor

Hi everyone,
    I have a question that is very similar to the OP. Rather than starting a new thread, I thought it would fit well here.
    I'm looking for investment advice on  the best options available for investing 50k for a 5-7 year term. It is currently sitting in a savings accounting earning very little interest so I want to put it to better use.
    I don't have any experience investing. I work in Finance though and would be familiar with the options available for investing. I've been researching for the available options for the past few weeks. I've read through a lot of the threads here and read a 20 page summary of "A random walk down Wall Street". Having read this book, It seems that ETF's are my best option.
    My rough plan at the moment is to is to invest the 50k as follows using Degiro:
    40% - S&P 500
    20% - Similar broad market Equity index with a focus on European Markets
    10% - Emerging markets broad market Equity index
    10% - Dow Jones Internet Index
    10% - Hibernia REIT
    10% - Mercado Libre Stock
    I am very keen to hear what peoples thoughts are on my current plans. If anyone has any advice/suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Here is some additional info:
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]What age are you - 28[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]What existing savings have you – 60k[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Why do you want to save or invest (and do you know the difference?) – 50k[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you any high interest debts like car loan/credit card etc - None[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you an SVR mortgage - No[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you a rainy day fund of 3-6 months salary – Yes, 10k[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you a pension – Yes, Currently contributing the max allowable, 15%[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you kids - No[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Are you married - No[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Have you any investment property - No[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]What exactly constitutes success for any investment portfolio – 5-7% EAR[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]How long are you happy to be without this money – 5 years[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]What would you do if value dropped 30% overnight – Continue to hold[/font]
    ·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]What is your tax rate – 40% (income tax)[/font]

·        [font=Arial, sans-serif]Are you taxed in Ireland - Yes[/font]

Advertisement