Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really

• 09-02-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭

So watching the news, could 1 in 8 people in Ireland really be waiting for a hospital procedure!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Is there any data to back this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Is there any data to back this up?

That is the question the politicking of the issue is so depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Over 500,000 people waiting on a procedure? Better warm up those beds trolleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stigura

Does this make me a seven in eight then? I'm not waiting for anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

thread needs a poll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd believe it. MRI scans, scopes, minor operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stigura

thread needs a poll

Wish I'd thought of that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perhaps if there are many people awaiting multiple procedures the stats might hold up. But a flats one in eight, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was twice put down for a test that was not really indicated for a one off problem. Rather than stay " a few more days" in hospital, I said I would wait and attend OPD. WHen the appt came through I was 100% so I cancelled and freed the time for someone else. It was I think about three months?
    Maybe many are simply precautionary? SO many more tests and procedures these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've had 2 operations in the last 7 days, no problem getting operation, was easy access, could elect when I'd like it, the second one was because of a complication of the first one. Everybody I dealth with was fantastic. For a traumatic time it was a pleasant enough experience.
    I've private health insurance.
    It's hard to believe people are suffering on big waiting lists when your experiencing it from the other side.
    Of all the costs I have to bare this would be the last one to go. It's to important. I've barely used it the last 20 years but it's the one thing I don't have to worry about if I get sick. I know I'll be seen.

• Advertisement

I've had 2 operations in the last 7 days, no problem getting operation, was easy access, could elect when I'd like it, the second one was because of a complication of the first one. Everybody I dealth with was fantastic. For a traumatic time it was a pleasant enough experience.
    It's hard to believe people are suffering on big waiting lists when your experiencing it from the other side.
    Of all the costs I have to bare this would be the last one to go. It's to important. I've barely used it the last 20 years but it's the one thing I don't have to worry about if I get sick. I know I'll be seen.

Until the last time, I have always had great care in A and E. ( all two occasions, second a smashed wrist that needed emergency surgery) the third time I recanted all that. I am on a medical card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm assuming that figure doesn't include the many more waiting on assessment and intervention for mental health, behavioural or learning issues like my child is. When you add those in the figure is really scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This. I don't think it even costs me thirty euros a week. What price peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Could AH really be waiting for actual thread titles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Very recently got a letter for my Mother to attend for a minor procedure she was on a waiting list to have done.
    She is dead 10 years now.

This 1 in 8 is all bollix, but the HSE needs to get its house in order. Disgraceful, management heavy, money grabbing bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The thread is working, its 1 in 9 now*

*unsubstantiated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know, I missed the news yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

mariaalice wrote: »
    So watching the news, could 1 in 8 people in Ireland really be waiting for a hospital procedure!!

Personally I could well believe it.

When I was living in Cork I managed at age 19 to drop something on my feet. It resulted in BOTH of my big toes getting ingrowing toe nails on BOTH sides. Pretty awful.

So I went to CUHospital and they looked at them. Even dragged in a few student doctors to show my feet to because they had not seen anything like it before.

They said I would get an appointment in the post for the removal.

Two weeks later I heard nothing so I went private instead. Thought little of it and forgot it entirely.

When I was 30......... 11 YEARS later........ I suddenly got a letter in the post with an appointment to have my toe nails removed. A comedy only compounded by the date of the appointment being 18 months after the date the letter was sent.

So personally any horror story I hear about waiting lists in Ireland Hospitals at this point, I can very well believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm assuming that figure doesn't include the many more waiting on assessment and intervention for mental health, behavioural or learning issues like my child is. When you add those in the figure is really scary.

If you added that then probably almost every one in Ireland needs some sort of medical intervention/support, at that stage you would have to ask what is going on how come such a huge % of children/adults have a learning disability/metal health issue will it get to the stage where 80% or more of children need some sort of intervention by the state.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had an episode back in August, doctor referred me to blackout clinic in St. James hospital for some checkups and scans... for November.

1 week before I got a mail saying my appointment was postponed. I have not gotten a date to reschedule since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

I got an appointment in the post yesterday for the 21st of Feb for a hearing test for my son. He had been referred by consultant in June 2015.

My son is also on a surgical waiting list (minor) and we got a letter asking if we still wanted to be put on waiting list.

I am also on the waiting list to get on the waiting list for dental treatment in the dental hospital. so yes i can well believe the figures are much higher.

Also waiting on pre-surgery clinic appointment for myself for gynae proceedure.

~I think the HSE hope if you are on the list long enough you will opt to go private and save them the hassle.

Wondering if all these are GP referrals and if so what does the GP do meanwhile to help? Just asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it depends what it is too.
    I'm waiting for an op to remove metal from my ankle. Not urgent. I'll wait on the public waiting list.
    I need an MRI on my back. I'll pay for this as it's urgent.
    I got very unwell last summer and there was a 4 month waiting list to see a consultant so in that instance there's no way I would wait so I'd pay to see someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We are a sick nation. Obesity, alcohol abuse is really taking its toll on our health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote: »
    I don't know, I missed the news yesterday.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/02/06/hospital-trolley-hasnt-had-a-day-off-in-ten-years/
    Hospital Trolley Hasn’t Had A Day Off In Ten Years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm on a list about 3 years at this stage to get my chest checked for respiratory problems. I had one consultation which was in July 2013 where the problems were not visible. I've actually given up on been seen properly but the problem does be so severe when it gets to 2 degrees or lower that I reckon when I'm older it will kill me. They don't grasp the severity of the situation at all and I'm only a name on a list to them.

So much for paying taxes eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

No a procedure, but this morning my mam got an appointment for her "6 monthly" checkup with the diabetes clinic. It's for over a year away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seriously

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, Ireland, keep reminding me why I never want to move back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement