Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

when do we have to expect to have the account debited for the stamp duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Has anyone got any insight into ApplePay in Ireland, and potential rollout to N26 users? 
    If it gets rolled out, would we expect an extra cost for this, or is it usually free to use in other countries where it has been deployed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Has anyone got any insight into ApplePay in Ireland, and potential rollout to N26 users? 
    If it gets rolled out, would we expect an extra cost for this, or is it usually free to use in other countries where it has been deployed?

There's no plans for any Irish bank as far as I know, but Apple Pay is free to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've read through most of this thread but hoping folks here can answer a couple of queries for me

1) can this account accept payments/transfers in Sterling?

2) how often are international rates changed?

3) are transfers from Irish banks handled via debit card and are they instant?

For 1, I get paid a little bit each month from a UK company so this is a must

For 2 and 3, I'm thinking about getting either this or a revolut card and I know how they work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Nope. Euro only.

Nope. They only accept transfers by SEPA transfer.

Thanks for the quick answers.

I think Revolut suits my travelling needs better and now I'll look for a better solution for Sterling payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I (and others) have asked the @n26 and @n26_support accounts about ApplePay availability several times on Twitter, and they seem to ignore the question. Join us, hopefully a critical mass will get them to wake-up ;-)

If it ever gets deployed they are unlikely to charge for it (while Apple takes a cut, it probably is a cheaper and safer payment method for N26 to manage compared to physical contactless debit cards, so they'll likely be happy for people to use it).

I have ApplePay from a French bank account, there is no extra charge for it and it works fine in most Irish businesses who have contactless terminals (but not all ... possibly because their terminals run old firmwares which don't support token-based contactless payments, and they can't be bothered upgrading given the tiny amount of customers for which it is causing problems).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dodge wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick answers.

I think Revolut suits my travelling needs better and now I'll look for a better solution for Sterling payments

I'd recommend Pay by Fire for accepting sterling payments as it gives you your own UK and Irish account numbers. You can convert sterling to euro in app and then transfer to a euro bank account or just transfer the sterling to your Revolut account.

You can download the app from the app store.

Quackster wrote: »
    I'd recommend Pay by Fire for accepting sterling payments as it gives you your own UK and Irish account numbers. You can convert sterling to euro in app and then transfer to a euro bank account or just transfer the sterling to your Revolut account.

Thanks. Looking into this now.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I (and others) have asked the @n26 and @n26_support accounts about ApplePay availability several times on Twitter, and they seem to ignore the question. Join us, hopefully a critical mass will get them to wake-up ;-)

If it ever gets deployed they are unlikely to charge for it (while Apple takes a cut, it probably is a cheaper and safer payment method for N26 to manage compared to physical contactless debit cards, so they'll likely be happy for people to use it).

I have ApplePay from a French bank account, there is no extra charge for it and it works fine in most Irish businesses who have contactless terminals (but not all ... possibly because their terminals run old firmwares which don't support token-based contactless payments, and they can't be bothered upgrading given the tiny amount of customers for which it is causing problems).

It's not really up to the bank to start with Apple Pay, they have to be approached by Apple.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »

Would you recommend Pay by Fire for a (very) small business account? Are there any downsides to them?

bertie4evr wrote: »
    It's not really up to the bank to start with Apple Pay, they have to be approached by Apple.

Yes, I guess once Apple decides to deploy it in a new country they'll start talking to as many banks as they can there.

What makes me think N26 might get it in the short to medium term (and before Irish banks) is that ApplePay is rumoured to be launching in Germany soon.

And at least they could answer questions customer are asking. No-one expects a precise timeline, but "we are actively working on it" or "this is not being looked at at the moment" (which is what Irish banks seem to answer) would set expectations right.

pasquale83 wrote: »

See attached twitter messages.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Would you recommend Pay by Fire for a (very) small business account? Are there any downsides to them?

I can't speak from that perspective as I've only used them in a personal capacity. The only major downside for me is the lack of a debit card which prevents it being used as a proper current account but it's great if you need to have a UK IBAN but don't want the hassle of having to walk into a bank branch in the UK to open an account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Suckit wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long roughly, a refund on to my old card will take to appear on my new one?
    I returned an item to Amazon.de on the 2nd of January, it only arrived today :( and i have been told that they have refunded the money back on to my Number26 card.
    I have switched over to my new card since i purchased the item in late November, and i am now on N26 card.
    For anyone that thought i might not update and they may be in the same situation and running around worried out of their head. You can relax now.
    It took a day.
    I got my refund today. The return shipping took just over 2 weeks It must have been the slowest and cheapest method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hmmm?

Sterling will be converted to Euro at whatever rate - question wasn't about SEPA payments

pasquale83 wrote: »
    406916.jpg

It is speculation but I just saw this on ApplePay: http://www.macnotes.de/2017/01/18/bericht-apple-pay-im-sommer-in-deutschland-direktbanken-zuerst-dabei/ (other German website have similar articles)

Google translated:
    Rudolf Linsenbarth, who works for the company's consultant Cocus and specializes in mobile payments there, spoke in the radio show that Apple Pay should come this summer, in Q2 or at the latest Q3 2017.

The first banks that Apple Pay should support here are after Linsenbarth, the major online banks DKB and Comdirect, as well as Fintech companies like N26. But then soon Barclays, Santander and Amex could follow, all banks, which are not widely spread.

Email & device push notifications have stopped coming in for me on direct debits in the past few days. Anyone else having this issue?

• Advertisement

Email & device push notifications have stopped coming in for me on direct debits in the past few days. Anyone else having this issue?

I don't have DDs, but I just made an online purchase an hour ago and noticed I didn't get any notification. I was wondering if it was a once-off issue.

I don't have DDs, but I just made an online purchase an hour ago and noticed I didn't get any notification. I was wondering if it was a once-off issue.
    Yes, real time contactless notifications are working fine for me. Havent used online in a few days, but certainly they are having some issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yip, have had that for a while now, posted here a few pages back but no one else was having a problem at the time, all other notifications are working ok. At least now I know it is not just me.

I made some online and POS purchases today and they are working ok for me, just the DD that is not.

jester77 wrote: »
    Yip, have had that for a while now, posted here a few pages back but no one else was having a problem at the time, all other notifications are working ok. At least now I know it is not just me.

I made some online and POS purchases today and they are working ok for me, just the DD that is not.

Update on Twitter;
    @N26_Support: Hey, email notifications are a known issue, hopefully fixed with the next update. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Actually N26 gives the official Mastercard rates: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

Unlike Revolut these are set once a day.

Also the on ATM withdraws in other than € they charge 1,7% of withdrawal (unless you have the black card).

With PTSB, you will get the visa/mastercard exchange rate (which already includes the CC company's curency conversion fee) plus the additional fee from the bank you mentioned (1.75% of the Euro value of the transaction with a min. of €0.46 and a max of €11.43 - as per T&Cs - which is pretty standard for Irish banks).

With N26 you will only get the MasterCard exchange rate and the bank applies no additional fee.

As mentioned above this is for PoS transactions only and not for ATM withdrawals which are more expensive both with PTSB and N26 (additional fee of 1.7% with N26 and 3.5% with PTSB, but PTSB also charge minimum €3.17 and maximum €11.43 per withdrawal whereas I don't think N26 mentions anything similar).

So overall in terms of foreign currency fees N26 is indeed significantly cheaper and to my knowledge there is no hidden charge. Now what I would say the drawback is: if you have a problem with your card while abroad, it will likely be much easier to quickly get on the phone with PTSB than having your issue looked into by N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Desoh

Is it 2000 per month max withdrawal?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

No, can't remember exactly what, but more like 25,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just looked and 20,000 ist the limit for a month and you can set a daily limit in the app for ATM and POS/online.

Overdraft limit is 5000 per month and you can also put your own limit on that in the app.

I thought overdraft was Germany only at present, or at least not available to Irish customers?

Zagato wrote: »
    I thought overdraft was Germany only at present, or at least not available to Irish customers?

As far as I know this is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone have an issue with address field. Get message - unable to resolve address.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue with address field. Get message - unable to resolve address.

There was a similar post before Christmas, the recommendation was to use a friend's address and then change in app once registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

cmac2009 wrote: »

Complete your registration online via their website instead of on a phone. Worked for me, I could put in my correct address. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Seen the following article re AIB introducing contactless charges per transaction: http://www.thejournal.ie/bank-charges-contactless-and-atm-3194785-Jan2017/?utm_source=shortlink

Feel I've getting screwed with quarterly fees too but have an overdraft which is of great use to me each month.

Seen the above post re overdraft only being in Germany, could anyone clarify?

Would N26 be better to switch everything to? Bearing in mind, I'm a simple account user, money goes in, overdraft user, money comes out.

Charging 20c per contactless payment (which are designed to cover recurrent but smal transactions) is outrageous. If you just use it every weekday to pay for let's say a 4 euros lunch at the canteen, that's 4 euros (a 5% commission) the bank is making on your lunches at the end of the month.

While I am not doing it yet, I would consider using N26 as my main current account. But I would not contemplate having it as my only account (I would keep a backup account with some cash and a payment card with another bank which has a better track record with reliability and customer service - and preferably has physical presence in Ireland).

Would N26 be better to switch everything to? Bearing in mind, I'm a simple account user, money goes in, overdraft user, money comes out.

Overdraft should be in Ireland in the next couple of months they say. Also they tweeted to me, that savings accounts are coming in the next few weeks also.
    I have been using N26 as my only current account for almost a year and it hasn't let me down. Instead of overdraft, I just use my credit card when I need to and pay it off each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Overdraft should be in Ireland in the next couple of months they say. Also they tweeted to me, that savings accounts are coming in the next few weeks also.
    I have been using N26 as my only current account for almost a year and it hasn't let me down. Instead of overdraft, I just use my credit card when I need to and pay it off each month.

Thanks fbradyirl, will be a total newbie to the credit card game as well, this is available with N26 I presume too?

Thinking changing everything altogether could be the best decision

• Advertisement

Thanks fbradyirl, will be a total newbie to the credit card game as well, this is available with N26 I presume too?

To my knowledge all their cards are debit cards (at least for the Irish market).

Question on purchases made in foreign currencies: is their a way to see the original amount in the payment currency from the app?
    I just made my first purchase in USD it seems like only the vendor name and euro amount are showing.

Most banks I've been with before would include the amount in the transaction description.

And btw the way if what instantly shows up on the app is the final amount, the exchange rate is even better than expected (it is lower the the amount given by Google's currency converter which I find strange)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seen the following article re AIB introducing contactless charges per transaction: http://www.thejournal.ie/bank-charges-contactless-and-atm-3194785-Jan2017/?utm_source=shortlink

AIB have said (on their Boards Talk To forum) that they are not introducing contactless fees, and that the current waiver will be extended beyond February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

loyatemu wrote: »
    AIB have said (on their Boards Talk To forum) that they are not introducing contactless fees, and that the current waiver will be extended beyond February.

That is not definite. There hasn't been any statement from AIB to that effect yet.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057696285

Thinking changing everything altogether could be the best decision
    No credit cards yet from N26. I moved to KBC for that as they give cash back to me for online and grocery purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Páid wrote: »
    That is not definite. There hasn't been any statement from AIB to that effect yet.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057696285

their own reps have said "we intend on extending the waiver."

even from a commercial point of view it would be insane for them to charge 20c when others are charging 0c or 1c. The 20c figure is their standard debit card charge, it's clearly not appropriate for contactless which has been designed and marketed for frequent small transactions instead of using cash.

even from a commercial point of view it would be insane for them to charge 20c when others are charging 0c or 1c. The 20c figure is their standard debit card charge, it's clearly not appropriate for contactless which has been designed and marketed for frequent small transactions instead of using cash.

They still clearly consider it a temporary waiver and not the official fee though, so they cold take it away anytime (even though we definitely agree it would make no sense for their customers).

If I was an AIB customer the situation wouldn't make me leave and I would just think I'll use it as long at it stays that way. But as a prospective customer I don't think I would bother as I wouldn't take the chance of having to change bank again a few months down the line if the temporary promotion stops.

If their long term business strategy is to charge 0c or 1c, they should just amend the official price and do away with the temporary waiver thing - this would give customers much more clarity of when they think a sustainable and fair price is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

They have said a lot of things they never deliver on. As I said, it's not definite and there has been no official statement from AIB yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

AIB wil not be charging 20 cent per transaction. That is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Anyone having issues logging in?
    All I'm getting is "405 error"

Tis grand seems to be a cookie issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement