Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank - washing machine?

Options
  • 11-12-2016 6:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can I pipe my washing machine into my septic tank?
    I'm afraid a soak pit will not drain well enough and maybe back up/block over time (but i did have a good percolation test and a standard concrete ST was specified after environmental site assessment) .

whereas a septic tank will be free flowing and emptied every year.

any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The washing machine must be drained to the septic tank system. [/thread]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

What?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

What?!!

T-Maxx is absolutely correct. Only rainwater should go to soakholes. Grey water should go into the wastewater treatment system....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Think this pretty much covers it http://www.epa.ie/water/wastewater/guidance/faq/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

exaisle wrote: »
    T-Maxx is absolutely correct. Only rainwater should go to soakholes. Grey water should go into the wastewater treatment system....

Obviously! I design these things for a living. I was astonished at the original query, not T-Maxx's response.

Are you a self builder OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

All soiled water to septic tank. stay away from washing powder use a short cycle and as little as possible. Make sure you can get to the chamber for the percolation pipes to clean it also.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,406 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There is no harm having a grease trap before the washing machine pipe enters the septic tank. This can collect the vast majority of the washing power by waste, which clogs up the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

dzer2 wrote: »
    All soiled water to septic tank. stay away from washing powder use a short cycle and as little as possible. Make sure you can get to the chamber for the percolation pipes to clean it also.

Great tips.
    Any tips on household cleaning agents to use or avoid to help septic tank performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Can a separate soakaway not work in complying with waste water treatment for washing grey water?

Advertisement