Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    It's Ryan's of Parkgate Street, details here

Thank you Bungy Girl :) I will hopefully see some of you there. Best of luck to all doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'll write a full post as soon as I can but in the meantime...
    S & C - anything else to focus on apart from abdominal work, lunges, etc?

Yes! Don't neglect the upper body! And single leg work can be very beneficial to runners too.
    spaceylou wrote: »
    I am sporadic with my S&C work to say the least. When I am being good, almost daily (aim is 5/7) I do some exercises that I was given by physio ages ago - mix of stretching, pilates poses, bridges etc. I also do calf raises and calf drops. Even when I am not being 'good', I'd do this 2 - 3 times a week unless I am having an exceptionally bad week.

I like pilates but haven't gone regularly in about a year since I moved gym and haven't found a class I like to replace the one in my old gym - suggestions in Maynooth; D6 or even Dublin city centre welcome :D

Every now and then I get notions of dedication and I try the JD 30 day challenge (think the furthest I've gotten is 8 days) or I do the mrytle routine or I do the resistance workout on operation transformation....definitely could do better and it is a goal for 2017 because I think the more I run, the more under-lying weaknesses are going to be highlighted and stop me progressing.

Consistency always better than sporadic :D.

You could try Pearse St Physio for Pilates Classes aimed at runners, I believe they're very good. My go-to place is in D3 so probably no good to you.

I'd suggest you schedule your S&C in the same way you do your runs (or any other appointment). It's usually the first thing to be dropped when life gets busy but the benefits are huge when done regularly.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    The only s and c I do is a pilates class once a week, I have great intentions of doing James Dunnes 30 day challenge, I have all the videos and instructions download on my computer but that's as far as I got so far. , TBH i was planning to do it in December so perhaps it will happen Monday.

Its out there now so.....

+1 to the Pilates. All runners should be doing it.

I must admit to never having done the JD challenge. I probably should before commenting on it :o. Lots of people on boards seem very positive about it.

The main thing with any S&C programme is to progress gradually, ensure that you are executing the moves with good technique and to ensure adequate rest between sessions.

More to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I must admit to never having done the JD challenge. I probably should before commenting on it :o. Lots of people on boards seem very positive about it.

The main thing with any S&C programme is to progress gradually, ensure that you are executing the moves with good technique and to ensure adequate rest between sessions.

More to follow.

I did the first week 2 years ago now, I gave up because it was taking longer than the 15 minute a day routine it claimed to be and I was only running a few miles a week so didn't really appreciate the importanace of it :o.

That's changed so next time I start it I will finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Hi all,

I've been awol since the marathon, but I have been back running for the last few weeks. I'm following the hal higdon advanced 5k training program, hoping for a 5k pb. But not tomorrow! I'm only just finished week one of the program.

I am doing jingle bells, so hope to see some of you there. I won't be able to head out for drinks afterwards though.

BungyGirl, I'll be very interested in what you have to say about strength and conditioning. It's not something I ever worried about much before marathon training, but I've definitely realised it's importance since. I'm doing the kinetic revolution 30 day program at the moment - I think someone recommended it here, or in another thread. I'd be interested in a few simple, quick excercises I could do a few times a week once I'm finished that. I know myself that I won't stick to anything that takes any longer than that. Also, I'm kind of prone to knee injuries, so anything that could help prevent that would be great!

The best of luck to all doing jingle bells today. Afraid I won't make Ryans 2 of my grand kids are coming to support me so it'll be to a mc ds I'll be heading after.

ENJOY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck today folks....hopefully some race reports later; it's been a while .....looks like a nice morning for it.

Maybe spot some of you around the start!

Done and dusted....just a couple of seconds over 20 mins nice PB anyway. Under 20 will need to wait until 2017!

Wubble just to let you know I was the randomer shaking your hand at the end....had you in my sights from the Ordinance Survey road; well done today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play kid, I knew it was you ;) haven't seen times yet, I just missed out! PB anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That was tough. My legs and endurance definitely not in the same league as late October.

That said around 21 minutes so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Well done everyone! It was not a nice day. From indoors!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed that, didn't push myself much, I guess. Somewhere around the 26 mark, I think. Didn't expect to bump into so many others afterwards. First task for the mug will be a hot chocolate at some stage. Have to go off to try and find the strength and conditioning video I was looking at yesterday...now I can't locate the same one. Typical!

Don't forget the reports. Santa's watching...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Loved that this morning. Really well organised and I smashed my PB by well over a minute. Clocked 21:46 and I got faster all through the race. Even managed a little kick at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Really enjoyed the race, great to see so many boardsies at the end, especially with everyone seeming more or less happy!! Less impressed with the timing people. Seems to only be gun time which for me anyway was at least 30sec slower than what I recorded on watch but you can't be sure you hit watch at right spot so don't like taking Garmin time!! Also not entirely convinced gun time is right cause I distinctly remember it being 26:43 as I was almost at line, no way it took me another 7sec to cross the line. For a race that seems so well organised otherwise tis quite annoying.

Do like my mug though :D

Looks like 20:03 for the pair of us!
    Fair play kid, I knew it was you ;) haven't seen times yet, think I just missed out? PB anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

spaceylou wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the race, great to see so many boardsies at the end, especially with everyone seeming more or less happy!! Less impressed with the timing people. Seems to only be gun time which for me anyway was at least 30sec slower than what I recorded on watch but you can't be sure you hit watch at right spot so don't like taking Garmin time!! Also not entirely convinced gun time is right cause I distinctly remember it being 26:43 as I was almost at line, no way it took me another 7sec to cross the line. For a race that seems so well organised otherwise tis quite annoying.

Do like my mug though :D

And the chip times have been added! Not sure why they put them up without them, like it wouldn't have killed us all to wait another hour to have all the info. Still intrigued by the 7 sec I think it took me to cross the line...must pay more attention to where I am when I am noting time display!

Happy to report I hit my B goal which is a pb of 19 sec :D

Really nice to hook up with everyone after the run today. I really enjoyed the race, ideal running conditions. 25:53 for me today, quite a bit off my best , but that's where I am now , I'm really looking forward to starting the graduates plan now , Bring it On.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

I loved today's run, niggle and all... conditions were perfect and it is such a flat route, the last 2k really do make it a pb course. Delighted to complete it, without too much pain, in 25.06. Great to meet a few of you today :)

Great to meet some of you today, including one or two new faces :). Don't forget to post up your race reports.

I enjoyed the race today, particularly the Battle of the Mentors that kicked off with about a Km to go ;). Happy to come away with a PB and an aul wan's prize :D

Great to meet some of you today, including one or two new faces :). Don't forget to post up your race reports.

I enjoyed the race today, particularly the Battle of the Mentors that kicked off with about a Km to go ;). Happy to come away with a PB and an aul wan's prize :D

Another Prize, you must have quite the collection of Pineapples by now.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jingle Bells 5k. Chip time: 26:02 (watch 26:09 - it's always a little off I'm not sure when to press it on the mat). Still have to change the gadget back to km. Distance 3:17mi and 8:16 min/mi Avg Pace. I will change the settings to km, promise. :cool: Don't think I have it set for splits as there's just 1 in the activity tracking screen.

Noticed my watch's battery was low this morning even though I charged it last night, I must have left it on after turning off the socket. Tried to charge it in the car, saw someone with car antlers on the M50. Got to the park before 10am. Thought I'd have time to read a book, but then had a look at the map thing. On the way up I heard a few lads talking about today's potential for "snot rockets", thanks for the mental image, lads...

Going by Garmin Connect, this was about my 9th outdoor run since DCM, excluding a little here and there on a treadmill and the odd night I left my watch behind.

Runner down after the turn just beyond the US Ambassador's residence. She was being tended to by the Civil Defence. This was my first 5k race where I wanted to have a little bit of a go at it, recent park runs have been deliberately slow. Didn't pay much attention to my watch, partly because it said battery low as soon as I turned it on. Mentally I felt a little out of sync (not uncomfortable, just questioning things as I went along) as I hadn't really trained for anything under 9min/mi and here I was doing it for some of the event, though early on I was happy to stick to 9:20-9:30 ish. Didn't realise the downhill was going be as downhill i.e. read up more before hand next time, TBO.

Enjoyed the course, good sense about the crowd - bit of singing before the 1k mark, not by me, thankfully. Fair bit off 23:12 which is my fastest, work to do. Could have pushed harder.

Good to catch up the other graduates, a few DCM reports were revisited.

Home to chilli rice cakes. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Enjoyed the race today in great conditions and got myself a shiny new PB (verbose report here). I had never really intended on going to the meet up afterwards because I had things to do in the afternoon, but I waited around at the finish to see if I'd spot anyone and sure enough was rewarded by bumping into A Neurotic and Pomplamousse. I've already had a coffee and a tea out of my new mug this evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just popping in quickly to say well done to everyone today! And what a great Battle of the Mentors that was too :pac: It was great to catch up with a few of you afterwards and meet a few new faces too. Nop passed on your lovely DCM gift and I LOVE IT, thank you all so much!. Happy Christmas everyone! (too soon??!)

FD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Looks like 20:03 for the pair of us!

Yes indeed, well done you! I got cut off on the home straight, which cost me the sub 20 :mad: Next time!

The sub 20 is on the horizon! Thinking of signing up for the Tom Brennan Run on Jan 1 a sub 20 would be a nice way to start 2017!
    Yes indeed, well done you! I got cut off on the home straight, which cost me the sub 20 :mad: Next time!

Just popping in quickly to say well done to everyone today! And what a great Battle of the Mentors that was too :pac: It was great to catch up with a few of you afterwards and meet a few new faces too. Nop passed on your lovely DCM gift and I LOVE IT, thank you all so much!. Happy Christmas everyone! (too soon??!)

FD.

Jeez just dawned on me who you are. Nice meeting you again today and congratulations on your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

It was nice to see some of you at the Jingle Bells today! Wubble Wubble, FITZA, spaceylou, TBO, The Muppet, ESV - really nice to see you all and clocking such excellent times. :)

That "Battle of the Mentors" was short, swift, and brutally decisive. Not in my favour, I hasten to add. :rolleyes:

The gorey details: Wearing your blue gift-t-shirt, I managed to hang on to your new mentor's coat-tails for most of the first 4km - which is an achievement worthy of a PB-beer already ;). However, a rush of blood at 800m to go saw me overtaking her while already well in the red. Needless to say, she immediately swatted me away in a final acceleration - and collected a PB and a cool age-cat price in the process. I have left you in capable hands! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done mentors on the PBs and to BG on the smackdown.

Challenge her to a marathon for the next battle, nop ;)

nop98 wrote: »
    That "Battle of the Mentors" was short, swift, and brutally decisive.

What Nop modestly neglected to mention is the massive PB he got yesterday! Congratulations and hope the PB beer(s) went down well :D

Challenge her to a marathon for the next battle, nop ;)

Ha ha, that would not end well for me :o

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I've put in a mod request to have Myles Splitz's 2016 Graduate Plan linked to the first post in this thread. I'm not sure how long that will take so in case there are any eager beavers out there looking to start the plan tomorrow I'm linking to it here too and it is attached to this post below.

Have a read of the Notes and the plan most relevant to you and post here with any questions.

Massive thanks are due to Myles Splitz for this plan which has served - and continues to serve - many graduates so well.

Edit: Plan now linked from 1st post. Thanks, TFBubendorfer.

Advertisement