Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Correctness gone mad

Options
  • 17-11-2016 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭

It's a disgrace that a father gets 40 years in jail simply for trying to protect his daughter against a sex beast. He did what any good father should do.

The law in America just like Ireland has got far too Political Correct and now sides with sex beasts and turns victims into criminals.

Hopefully when Mr Trump becomes president he can pardon this gentleman and maybe even give him a medal for his public service.

Father who shot dead his daughter's sexual abuser is sentenced to 40 years in jail after pleading guilty to save her from testifying

• Jay Maynor sentenced to 40 years for murdering his daughter's sex abuser
    • Raymond Earl Brooks, 59, was shot dead in Alabama in June 2014
    • He pleaded guilty in 2002 to sexually abusing Julia Maynor several times
    • Brooks molested her constantly from the age of four until she was eight
    • Pleaded guilty to the crimes in 2002, and served 27 months behind bars
    • Ms Maynor said her father accepted sentence so she didn't have to testify
    • 'My father was protecting me, like a father should do,' she said

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really don't think that's a case of political correctness. It's a case of a vigilante father being jailed for murder.

Now there's discussions to be had over why the paedophile's sentence was so short or why the father snapped 10 years after release and murdered him. There's probably a discussion to be had also over the post trial support offered to the victim and her family but I really don't think any of this is down to "political correctness".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah thats murder.

10 years later.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sentence is fully justified.
    No matter how much of a scumbag someone is, it doesn't give you the right to hunt down and murder them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How in the name of muppetry is that an example of 'Political Correctness'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Brooks, her adopted maternal grandfather, pleaded guilty in 2002 to the crimes and served 27 months of a five-year sentence. He also paid restitution.

Ten years after he was freed, Maynor exacted his revenge and gunned Brooks down

I'm all for getting this scum off the streets, but this was premeditated murder ten years after he did his time.
    On the way to Brooks' home, Maynor also fired his gun into a convenience store when he spotted a man who had been dating his stepdaughter and allegedly abused her.

This guy needs to be in prison.

• Advertisement

Real crap weather here in Kerry.

Another example of political correctness gone mad.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I blame Donald Trump.

And Brexit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I like cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The original sentence raises questions about the justice system but the subsequent sentence for murder is nothing to do with political correctness.

I think the reason political correctness seems so prevalent nowadays is because many people don't know what it is and incorrectly use the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Political Correctness' treatment is coming along nicely.
    Showing good signs of improvement and stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sentence is fully justified.
    No matter how much of a scumbag someone is, it doesn't give you the right to hunt down and murder them.

I wouldn't say that

How can a predator abuse a tiny child from the age of four to eight, and only serve 27 months?

Father deserved to be convicted though, although the sentence seems very harsh given the background. I see no evidence of political correctness anywhere there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I'd say the father is content to serve 40 years.
    I think he would be content to do 400 or 4000, once it meant
    he avenged his daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pure speculation but it's possible he didn't know where this guy was between the time he got out of jail and the time he killed him. Could have gotten word he was in town and headed straight there.

His actions were wrong and he has to go to jail, but that man didn't even serve a year in jail for every year he was actively molesting a very young child, not to mention the life sentence she's serving. I don't condone what he did but I get it, it raises serious questions about sentencing.

Also the thread title could be changed to 'flippy flop gone boopy doop' and it'd have just as much relevance to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sentenced to 40 years in jail after pleading guilty to save her from testifying

How does that even make sense? She's out doing media interviews but testifying would have been too much?

The guy pleaded guilty to murder. How the fcuk is a judge supposed to treat it as anything but murder?

Not everything you happen to disagree with is a sign of 'PC gone mad', ffs

Candie wrote: »
    How can a predator abuse a tiny child from the age of four to eight, and only serve 27 months?

Father deserved to be convicted though, although the sentence seems very harsh given the background. I see no evidence of political correctness anywhere there.

I'm guessing it was 8-10 years, reduced for a guilty plea, and early release for "good behaviour".

And the first degree murder likely has a manditory sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

How in the name of muppetry is that an example of 'Political Correctness'?

100 years ago before we had a Politically Correct "Justice" system the father would never have even been put on trial.

It just shows how Politically Correct we have become when a father is put in jail for putting down a child sex beast.

You couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ted111 wrote: »
    I'd say the father is content to serve 40 years.
    I think he would be content to do 400 or 4000, once it meant
    he avenged his daughter.

Nah.

Surely the best thing for his daughter would be not putting her through the ordeal of her father being sent to jail.

You can't change the past so I don't really see what good killing someone ten years later achieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Old Bill wrote: »
    100 years ago before we had a Politically Correct "Justice" system the father would never have even been put on trial.

It just shows how Politically Correct we have become when a father is put in jail for putting down a child sex beast.

You couldn't make it up.

He'd have been hanged 100 years ago.

How does that even make sense? She's out doing media interviews but testifying would have been too much?

The guy pleaded guilty to murder. How the fcuk is a judge supposed to treat it as anything but murder?

Not everything you happen to disagree with is a sign of 'PC gone mad', ffs

Yeah...the whole "saving her from testifying" angle is a bit strange and doesn't seem to add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't think I could hold back if anyone did that to my child

Open prison serve three years max over here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You couldn't make it up.

You can't go around killing people who hurt your child just because you feel like it

He'd have been hanged 100 years ago.
    One hundred years ago the child molester would have been hanged/lynched and the father wouldn't have broken the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You couldn't make it up.

What planet are you on?

100 years ago states didn't give a fcuk about kids. Read a history book

Here in Ireland kids were regularly sentenced to live in borstals etc where they were abused, and where judges knew they were being abused. Police used to arrest kids for trying to escape the abuse, and return them to it.

You're in fantasy land if you think things would have been better in any way 100 years ago!

Yeah...the whole "saving her from testifying" angle is a bit strange and doesn't seem to add up.

I think the "save her from testifying" is referring to the original sex abuse case, which is understandable as she would have been ten years old at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nah.

Surely the best thing for his daughter would be not putting her through the grief of burying her father.

You can't change the past so I don't really see what good killing someone ten years later achieves.

You're confusing whose daughter it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

One hundred years ago the child molester would have been hanged/lynched and the father wouldn't have broken the law!

Quite possibly but scumbags have rights these days, dontcha know.

Although I still wouldn't equate a scummer's rights not to be murdered with political correctness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You couldn't make it up.

100 years ago we had institutionalised child labour and institutionalised child abuse.....so I'll take our 'politically correct' justice system over what prevailed 100 years go when it would have been likely that the abuser would have never have been caught and the father would've have been hanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think the "save her from testifying" is referring to the original sex abuse case, which is understandable as she would have been ten years old at the time.

If he pled not guilty she might have been questioned about the original abuse. If she'd already had to do that as a child that's potentially a hugely traumatic prospect for her, particularly if there was a likelihood of being cross examined.

It's also possible that it was just a good angle for him and he's got his mind on appealing the sentence, if that's even something he can do?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it was 8-10 years, reduced for a guilty plea, and early release for "good behaviour".

And the first degree murder likely has a manditory sentence.

Not nearly enough though, not even close. :(

I know it's probably mandatory, but it seems harsh not to take the exceptional circumstances into account. It's not quite the same as murdering your granny for an inheritance or offing a bank guard in the commission of a robbery.

There's no winners here, certainly not on the altar of political correctness the OP is all bothered about.

Advertisement